Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gyges posted:

Man, I still don't get what Baby 5's deal was. Other than Oda wanted to draw a sexy maid.

She falls in love really easily and then Doflamingo kills her boyfriends to "protect her". It was kinda messed up

Her devil fruit power was cool though, shame we barely got to see it

RatHat fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'm color blind so I won't be able to watch it. Sorry zep

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kild posted:

I'm color blind so I won't be able to watch it. Sorry zep

Your loss, not mine!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Interesting that everyone else is like Fighter or Member of the Donquixote Pirates and Baby 5 is Servant.

Maybe a hint to what Lao G says about her being convenient and then implicitly thinking of her as a lesser officer than the rest?

Though only Lao G was like that from my reread.

flower-flower fruit: arms
arms-arms fruit: weapons

??

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am excited to watch it in several months.

It’s apparently going to be out in the US next month (not sure if that applies to you however) but there’s also a subbed camrip floating around online currently if you’re impatient

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

RatHat posted:

Her devil fruit power was cool though, shame we barely got to see it
she married one of the straw hat grand fleet guys so she'll probably make a brief appearance in whatever big final war there is

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

goblin week posted:

flower-flower fruit: arms
arms-arms fruit: weapons

??

Clearly the missing link is the weapon-weapon fruit, that let you produce flowers.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014068

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-1061/chapter/25469?action=read

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 25, 2022

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

one piece rules

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larryb posted:

It’s apparently going to be out in the US next month (not sure if that applies to you however) but there’s also a subbed camrip floating around online currently if you’re impatient

I wouldn't watch it in lovely camrip as my first experience, it would feel like a waste of such a stellar film.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Gyges posted:

Man, I still don't get what Baby 5's deal was. Other than Oda wanted to draw a sexy maid.

Didn't she turn into Torpedo Girl for one of her attacks?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

so the vegapunk here isn't really talking like an old man that they apparently are in the japanese version, and also the "i'm mediocre" bit from the scanlation isn't present. i don't know anything about japanese so i can't really infer anything from that but i guess it's noteworthy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the "drat" and "blast it" kinda came across as old man-y.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the "drat" and "blast it" kinda came across as old man-y.

Feel like dagnabit would have been appropriate

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Opportune time to use malarkey as well. Viz, call me.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I did notice this time around that the shark has an 03 on its fin, like Vegapunk herself has an 02. Which is odd from any perspective. If 02 just has Vegapunk's mind for some reason, why doesn't the shark?

I guess Vegapunk 02 could be a separate person who just sometimes hosts Vegapunk's personality when Vegapunk needs to get out and do something active, assuming Vegapunk is the old man we would have been led to expect. The idea would then be that all the numbers are weird and different experiments.

I think the coolest thing would be if Vegapunk just happened to be a lady (trans or otherwise), but I know a whole bunch of other crazy mad science options are plausible. I think this just being Vegapunk's daughter is probably the least interesting possibility, and wouldn't really fit with the Punk 02, Punk 03 thing we've seen.

Countblanc posted:

so the vegapunk here isn't really talking like an old man that they apparently are in the japanese version, and also the "i'm mediocre" bit from the scanlation isn't present. i don't know anything about japanese so i can't really infer anything from that but i guess it's noteworthy
I also don't know about Japanese but "I'm mediocre" always felt like a terrible translation of her being humble in some idiomatic way.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

At least one of Vegapunk's robots is going to look like Android 8 from Dragon Ball right?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Or 02 is just a random number that Oda thought cool

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
have we seen this Battle Franky suit before? it has a 12 on it but also says Vega Force 1

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Countblanc posted:

I think that's where the Humble part came from.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

have we seen this Battle Franky suit before? it has a 12 on it but also says Vega Force 1

That's a Vegapunk robot, not a Franky.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

That's a Vegapunk robot, not a Franky.

ohhhh that makes the next scene where they say "giant robot" make way more sense. since franky is also geeking out. my boy franky is deffo getting an upgrade this trip

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

anime was right posted:

it would be pretty funny if the mediocrity comment means that hes actually from a time with futuristic technology and hes just some random loving guy but compared to now hes a literal ultragenius.
This is seeming more and more plausible. The word "future" keeps getting thrown around in reference to Vegapunk and Baldimore, and we've already seen literal time travel with Toki, so it could be possible.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Random thought that I'm sure a lot of people already brought up, since we got seraphims now in the story. There's a possibility that IM is short for Elohim.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
IM is short for HIM, he's the patron saint of patriarchy and has to be taken down a notch.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I've uncovered the image upon which all of One Piece is based. IM and Monkey. It's all so clear now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Vegapunk trans, so what

Definitely just figuring that the world's greatest scientist showing up in a sexy female body with old-man speech patterns is pretty self-explanatory.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveYurko/status/1574120293525647360

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Dr. Vegapunk loves the taste of Mingus Dew.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ayup.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
why did kaido not just teach his crew to use haki more instead of feeding them smile fruits since his strongest crewmates were real devil fruit users

wtf was the point of smile fruits

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

BoosterDuck posted:

why did kaido not just teach his crew to use haki more instead of feeding them smile fruits since his strongest crewmates were real devil fruit users

if you dont have strong will then your haki sucks. if you work for a tyrant then youll have lovely haki unless youre at the top of the food chain or want to be there.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

BoosterDuck posted:

Endorph posted:

alpacaman

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Maybe Oda didn't dwell on it long enough but I thought he did a good job of showing early on that the Waiters/Pleasures are just absolute cannon fodder mooks and the Gifters are much stronger comparably. Thematically, Smile was also important since it ended up playing against Kaido when Tama took control of them - i.e. the inhumane shortcuts Kaido was taking to build his army ended up biting him.

Still crazy to me that the plot line of the Wano citizens who were poisoned by the Smile runoff and leftover fruits was completely dropped.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
vegapunk is gonna end up a better doctor than chopper too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BoosterDuck posted:

So really strong individuals are important. But Kaido had that personally covered as the strongest individual on the planet. If you're going to start a war though you need strong grunts. The point of the Smile fruits was to have an army of superpowered soldiers.

For instance if Kaido took on the Marines, he might be able to take out the admirals and such himself, but what about all the marine captains? They'd tear through normal lackeys. We saw in Enies Lobby that a bunch of random captains have devil fruit abilities. So Kaido needs something to even the odds against that tier of fighter.

It's a bit counter-intuitive because shounen battles always come down to a half dozen one on one fights, but we should imagine that the rest of the battle is also important, and under ordinary circumstances when the narrative isn't following individual characters it's actually more important, with the quality of all the background fighters actually making a difference.

Super Rad posted:

Still crazy to me that the plot line of the Wano citizens who were poisoned by the Smile runoff and leftover fruits was completely dropped.
I mean, what more is there to say? There were some scars left on the country that would never heal. Killer is also stuck like that for life. It's horrible and will always be a reminder of Kaido's monstrosity.