Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Dave posted:

The hurricane straps are incredible

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRapkuVj/

I would not stand under this structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

I would not stand under this structure.

I started thinking that at the first post.

Speaking of deck structure, does anyone know why in Michigan decks tend to be free standing and not attached to the house? I've heard it's a tax dodge so it doesn't get counted in taxable area, but I've also heard "it's not allowed" which is almost definitely wrong.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

Speaking of deck structure, does anyone know why in Michigan decks tend to be free standing and not attached to the house? I've heard it's a tax dodge so it doesn't get counted in taxable area, but I've also heard "it's not allowed" which is almost definitely wrong.

My hunch is that the frost line is so low that a lot of folks don't want to dig 4 plus feet for their piers. I would imagine having an attached deck that is moving every year with the frost not a good thing.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

My deck in southeast Michigan is attached to the house, both of my neighbors too.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

xsf421 posted:

My deck in southeast Michigan is attached to the house, both of my neighbors too.

Do you have to, like, bring them food every day?

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

xsf421 posted:

Same. I've never had a deck that Wasn't attached to the house unless it was it's own freestanding structure (like around a pond)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my brother had a deck built recently and it's not attached to the house. the builders said it cuts down on settling problems and makes potential later repairs easier.

upstate SC so the weather doesn't get that cold.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

xsf421 posted:

I don't think it never happens, but it's far less than 100% even on decks that had to pass inspection.

Especially considering Michigan has a law that deck rail spindles can't be horizontal because they can be climbed like a ladder, and then I moved to another state and found out that rule is far from universal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Dave posted:

The 16 foot ledger attached with two 1/4" bolts was my favorite.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Motronic posted:

The 16 foot ledger attached with two 1/4" bolts was my favorite.

You’ve got to admire the leadup.

It ratchets up from floppy railing to petite concrete. Then you see the hurricane strap “attachments” and you’re like “sir, please back away from the death trap” but oh no he’s got two more wonders to show you, each more awesome than the last.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
oh, that reminds me

deck stairs at an Airbnb I stayed at. I did not go into said deck.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You should send those to whoever handles code inspections in their county.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...mibextid=li3ck7

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Took me a sec to realise that was a warehouse and not a really impressive spite fence

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Thought that was one of those interstate sound barriers.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Actually it's a werehouse, slowly turning back as the night fades.

edit: Lol a tennis court is somehow even funnier.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 23, 2022

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Holy poo poo that's really close to where I live. I gotta check this out in person!

I'd totally buy it and convert the tennis court into a climbing gym if I had the money.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 23, 2022

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
What should I get if I really, really fuckin love tennis?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Beef Of Ages posted:

What should I get if I really, really fuckin love tennis?

Help

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I hope that's a toilet. Install a trap door as the perfect way to get rid of unwanted guests.

My first thought is that the turret tumor is clearly a dungeon trap and you need to disable it to start the Tomb of Horrors that must be the inside.

PainterofCrap posted:

*Lets fly with popcorn gun*

Well, that didn’t take long at all!

Thread, why won't my cabinets open anymore?

The Dave posted:

I'm definitely the post to nowhere at the end of the video. Spoilered because as other posters have pointed out, you think it's bad when he shows that first post and the bolts, but there are so many wonders to see and I'd be remiss to deprive anyone of that experience of howling a surprised "what the gently caress?!"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That deck really is an inconceivably bad level of crappy construction, not just poorly done, not just displaying a total lack of planning, but being so irredeemably awful as to suggest that the builder lacks the kind of basic intuition about how to stack things up so they don't fall down typically possessed by non-verbal toddlers playing with wooden blocks

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It’s what happens when you hand toddlers a game console instead of blocks/LEGOs :okboomer:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Boomers really got their stacking skills down from playing with blocks. Carpet over linoleum over tile over hardwood over decaying subflooring, just as the good lord intended.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Just Winging It posted:

Boomers really got their stacking skills down from playing with blocks. Carpet over linoleum over tile over hardwood over decaying subflooring, just as the good lord intended.

That explains all the terrible foundations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Empty Sandwich posted:

my brother had a deck built recently and it's not attached to the house. the builders said it cuts down on settling problems

Speaking of settling problems and decks that aren't attached to houses, I recently put an addition onto my horrible room. It's not attached, though, so at least there won't be any new settling issues.

Edit: I think a lot of the settling issues with my house were covered up by two things: when we bought it, it had been freshly caulked and painted, and the weather had been wet for months and months. It's only now that everything has been dry for so long that the cracks that were already there are beginning to show again.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Speaking of settling problems and decks that aren't attached to houses, I recently put an addition onto my horrible room. It's not attached, though, so at least there won't be any new settling issues.

Edit: I think a lot of the settling issues with my house were covered up by two things: when we bought it, it had been freshly caulked and painted, and the weather had been wet for months and months. It's only now that everything has been dry for so long that the cracks that were already there are beginning to show again.

Is that zoned for meows?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Is that zoned for meows?

Gonna have to fight tooth and nail over this.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

That's real nice! Is it a repurposed mini greenhouse kit or what?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
It's a dog kennel! My dad built the deck and shelves. The cat door is in a plywood panel in the sliding window (it took about a week for the cat to figure out how to use the cat door. She is dumb).

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Worst version of Hollywood Squares.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

It's a dog kennel! My dad built the deck and shelves. The cat door is in a plywood panel in the sliding window (it took about a week for the cat to figure out how to use the cat door. She is dumb).

Is that one of the cat doors that uses a magnet on their collar to unlock? We got one of those for our cats and they couldn't put it together that their head has to be in it to unlock it. They would stand back and try to paw it open, but not be close enough to activate it. So we had to sort of force them through for a few days before they finally put together that head-in-door=open door

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
No, it's just a regular door. No need to bother with a magnet door when it goes directly into a cage.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I can't tell if that cat's just a moron or if it's judging you through the window

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Star Man posted:

I can't tell if that cat's just a moron or if it's judging you through the window

both

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That's the best thing I've ever seen.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Detheros