Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

iris is so snuggly :qq: she looks so big and grown up, but then she wants to sleep in my lap with all four paws in the air like a baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

After some chaos with the breeder I had originally contacted (said she never got my deposit check, the co-owner of the dam saw the litter and decided she wanted some puppies out of the litter after all. Breeder was sure there would still be some for me, but it just became a little too complicated for me and I abandoned ship and stopped payment on the missing check), I found a different breeder that's a little closer, a lot less expensive, seems to have a great attitude and approach to things, has thoroughly tested the parents, and I think is doing a better job of socializing the pups with children etc. than the other breeder. Put down a deposit with him on a golden retriever puppy to pick up at 8 weeks in mid-october :toot:

mom:

dad:

Dad is from more of a field line, but not a super hyper-driven field line, mom is from more of a show and pet line, and the breeder says the puppies seem to have a good mix of temperaments so far. I really love the mom's darker/redder coat, and the puppies look to be a little lighter than her but darker than the father.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We had a chocolate lab that was from supposedly champion hunting lines. We didn't get him from the original breeder but rescued him from negligent owners who got him so they could breed puppies for money. He was an absolute maniac but loved every person he met.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My dog has seasonal allergies -- he gets itchy skin every year at this time of year. We've used apoquel in the past to help control this, and that works well, but I'm curious if anyone here knows of any OTC allergy meds for dogs that they'd recommend.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Sorry for the annoyingly broad question, but a 6 year old French Bulldog has come up for adoption in my area and while I'm already googling and youtubing info/advice to see if its a suitable breed for me, I just wondered if anyone had any personal information or recommendations about the breed?

I've never owned a dog before and am looking for a relatively low-maintenence pet as a person that lives alone. (I work from home.)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

French bulldogs are probably the most active of the snubnosed. At 6 years old it'll really come down to the dog.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

VagueRant posted:

I've never owned a dog before and am looking for a relatively low-maintenence pet as a person that lives alone. (I work from home.)
like the person before me said, at 6 it depends on the dog. frenchies usually have nice personalities, though you have to remember that a rescue may have traumas and triggers that you can't see. a more pressing issue for you to consider is future vet bills. these dogs have been bred to hell and back, and this one is just entering middle age so problems will start popping up - are you able to afford unexpected vet bills in the next few years?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

an egg posted:

a more pressing issue for you to consider is future vet bills. these dogs have been bred to hell and back, and this one is just entering middle age so problems will start popping up - are you able to afford unexpected vet bills in the next few years?

This. Frenchies are genetic and physical trainwrecks prone to breathing problems, allergies, spinal problems, skin fold issues, and many more. Be prepared to spend $$$ on vet bills. They tend to be more active than people expect but often can't breathe well enough to be that active. They're also bred from bulldogs originally so they can be stubborn and sometimes reactive but at 6 the rescue should have a pretty good idea of his temperament.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

unfortunately i know so many people who've rescued dogs and then been slammed with medical bills far, far beyond the level i could ever hope to pay. the combination of poor breeding and lifetime neglect/abuse just has an awful effect on an animal's health, things like digestion and teeth and joints that may not be immediately apparent upon rescuing. the number of older dogs that need all their teeth pulled is shocking, and that's just "normal" neglect, not even going into horror scenarios like puppy farms and racing greyhounds.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I love my rescue dog dearly but I have paid over $1k a year every single year I have had him in vet behaviorist visits alone because he is an emotional trainwreck who hates change, dogs, strangers, car rides, people cooking, children, wildlife, etc. That doesn't count the weird medical issues he has had over the years (full body yeast infection, he had a giant face hole for a while, randomly decided to be anemic for 6 months then stop, nearly degloved a foot, randomly started bleeding everywhere when prepped for his second broken tooth removal but came back with normal clotting factors, has geriatric onset laryngeal paralysis and polyneuropathy that makes him constantly sound like he just ran a marathon) and now that he's a million years old he gets almost $3 a day in meds to keep him from having a complete emotional breakdown constantly including a human alzheimers drug. I told the rescue I wanted a "go anywhere do anything" dog. Even with all the meds and dog therapy and training that was never him.

My dog from a breeder cost more upfront but she actually can go anywhere and do anything, which has been since considering that's all I've wanted since 2010 when I got my rescue.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My second dog the rescue lied through their teeth about behavior. He's a real good boy now, but it took a few years.

Unless you have a breed preference I'd look for some all american mutt in a local kennel, usually good boys and local is likely less likely to lie to you as you did not drive a million miles for the dog.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Ugh I thought we were doing so well with Teddy at night. First night we tried crating him and it was awful. Compromise after that was open crate with a pen around it and he seemed fine. We even got to sleep more or less through the night some days and he’d wake us up early when he had to go out.

Then yesterday he suddenly decided to have puppy energy he’d never really shown before, was hyper and restless most of the day and awful in the evening despite doing training and play sessions. When we went to bed he lasted about 5 minutes with his kong before flipping out and starting to cry, which he kept up for at least an hour. When I went downstairs in the morning he had shoved part of the pen aside and gotten out and was lying in our living room. Thankfully he didn’t seem to have had an accident.

I don’t have much of a question, just tired and frustrated like all puppy owners. I’m hoping it was one bad day from not getting enough stimulation but the little guy just does not like feeling constrained. Hopefully tiring him out some more will do the trick.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

an egg posted:

unfortunately i know so many people who've rescued dogs and then been slammed with medical bills far, far beyond the level i could ever hope to pay. the combination of poor breeding and lifetime neglect/abuse just has an awful effect on an animal's health, things like digestion and teeth and joints that may not be immediately apparent upon rescuing. the number of older dogs that need all their teeth pulled is shocking, and that's just "normal" neglect, not even going into horror scenarios like puppy farms and racing greyhounds.

A friend of mine rescued an elderly pug several years ago. He was cranky and standoffish when they first got him. When they took him for a good evaluation, they found that most of his teeth were rotten and a host of other easily addressed issues. They got his teeth taken care of (pulled most of them), got him on some good meds and a good food schedule (he was also super overweight, which compounded his congenital breathing issues) and he ended up being the sweetest happiest guy I've ever seen. He would plop down next to you for scritches and once you got going he would get into this butt wiggle snort rhythm that was the greatest thing ever. They ended up having a good 5 years with him. RIP Mr Jigglesworth.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So an update on our Bernedoodle puppy Bowie for those who wondered. He's the one who came back from 5 hours at doggy day care with stuff between his toes that caused him to go ham on his paw pads all night and rip them to shreds.

We got him a cone and his feet healed up pretty nicely. Took us a day or two to keep him from licking his tender feet but I would say they're 99% back to normal since he's walking and jumping fine.

But now...

He's got a puppy cold! He's got the sniffles and has the occasional dribble of snot blowing out his nostrils.

This guy can't catch a break :(

Anyone with experience know how long these bouts last for?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Can anyone identify this dog toy? It's the favorite toy of one of my dogs, but he's had it so long that the rubber is starting to degrade. I've tried to find a replacement but no luck, and I don't remember where I got or even who made it. If someone could help me find a new one you'd make an old dachshund very happy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's a duck

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Can anyone identify this dog toy? It's the favorite toy of one of my dogs, but he's had it so long that the rubber is starting to degrade. I've tried to find a replacement but no luck, and I don't remember where I got or even who made it. If someone could help me find a new one you'd make an old dachshund very happy.

https://www.amazon.com/Charming-Latex-Balloon-Duck-Large/dp/B003UOH4IO

The brand is Charming and the shape is Digby the Duck.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Instant Jellyfish posted:

This. Frenchies are genetic and physical trainwrecks prone to breathing problems, allergies, spinal problems, skin fold issues, and many more. Be prepared to spend $$$ on vet bills. They tend to be more active than people expect but often can't breathe well enough to be that active. They're also bred from bulldogs originally so they can be stubborn and sometimes reactive but at 6 the rescue should have a pretty good idea of his temperament.

How much does this depend on the bloodline of that particular Frenchie? I've heard there's some bred for sport that have longer snouts, are taller, and are healthier, but that may only be relative to the ones bred for the look of the smashed in face.

I've thought about getting a female puppy when our (neutered) Staffordshire bull terrier male is a little older. They look like fun little clowns, but the health issues are scary.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

acidx posted:

How much does this depend on the bloodline of that particular Frenchie? I've heard there's some bred for sport that have longer snouts, are taller, and are healthier, but that may only be relative to the ones bred for the look of the smashed in face.

I've thought about getting a female puppy when our (neutered) Staffordshire bull terrier male is a little older. They look like fun little clowns, but the health issues are scary.

There are very, very few that I've seen that have even reasonable conformation. They may have longer snouts but they are still wildly prone to spinal issues, skin problems and teeth problems. If you're on FB, the group CRUFFA occasionally has people breeding for moderate frenchies post their dogs if you want to look at breeders there. You may have better luck finding a healthy cross that has the temperament you want with fewer health issues.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

iris ate some hard plastic ~36 hours ago (a narrow bit about 1.5 inch long, i hope she chewed it up into smaller pieces) and by the time i found out it was too late for vomiting, it hasn't come out in her poo yet and i am in a state of dread waiting for something to happen

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Have you ever seen a Frenchie skull?
It's cruel that we keep making Frenchies.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

HootTheOwl posted:

Have you ever seen a Frenchie skull?
It's cruel that we keep making Frenchies.

There's someone out there trying to breed a new Frenchie that has a more reasonably shaped snout. So at least someone is trying. Getting AKC etc to recognize the change will probably be a heavier lift, though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So my Vet flushed my dogs ear out for hopefully the last time and he got Ceremune all over her head and she looks terrible. I tried warm water but it didn’t do anything, internet says rub cornstarch on her but I’m wary.

Here’s a picture of the unhappy lady

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

iris is now chill with cars, trucks, buses, motorbikes, babies, children, the elderly, cyclists, tractors, gunshots, thunder and fireworks

the one thing she cannot handle under any circumstances is :supaburn: the piano accordion :supaburn:

pupdate: happy news as of just then, the plastic is out. she'd bitten it into two bits of ~1 inch, it was the uppermost rim of a large yoghurt container, thin but hard. plastic is a terrible thing. the pieces hadn't bent or lost rigidity at all inside her, i could see how easily it could spell disaster for a smaller dog that doesn't have the approximate digestive system of a hyaena

an egg fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 19, 2022

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Package arrived

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I see your pup protected you from the suspicious package. Good dog.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I met a woman once with a failed drug inspection dog that nevertheless insisted on inspecting every bag that crossed the threshold into her home.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
A quick storm blew through yesterday and Teddy got a new stick.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ziggy Stardust is 1 year old today and has grown up into a well behaved, non-biting, Very Good Boy. The first few months were rough but we're very proud of the dog he's grown up to be.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Has anyone used a Fi Collar? (https://tryfi.com/)

All the 'reviews' I've seen for it seem like ad copy. Seems reasonably priced for a tracking collar, and even the LTE/GPS tracking plan isn't too expensive.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Another Bill posted:

Ziggy Stardust is 1 year old today and has grown up into a well behaved, non-biting, Very Good Boy. The first few months were rough but we're very proud of the dog he's grown up to be.
happy birthday, gorgeous thing :3:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Need some advice for this dingus

Had him about a year and he's a good boy, except that he will not come inside without a bribe. He'll come and stand at the door like this and stare at me, and will generally only come in for a treat. He's not necessarily extorting me, he's very food motivated in general so it may just override whatever lizard brain thing he's doing.
If I leave him he'll eventually start to bark and then will usually come in, but not always even then. I don't always have time to just leave him and wait though. Can't grab him either, he was a stray and is still highly against being grabbed or picked up.
Has anyone dealt with this before and have a trick I can use?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sounds like he's got you trained to give him a treat to get him to come indoors. Undoing that training is gonna be tough, especially if you have times when you need him to come inside in a hurry, because the #1 priority is consistency. He never gets that treat to come inside, and if that means leaving him outside until he's motivated, so be it.

One thing I do which can at least help keep you from standing at the door for five minutes, is open the door, call my dog, and then count to 3 slowly and loudly. E.g. "Pavlov, do you want to come inside? One. Two. Three." And then I close the door if he isn't moving towards me. Note that I did not command him to come inside. Never give a command you aren't confident your dog will obey, because it weakens the strength of that command. But (with practice) the counting lets him know that he has to make a decision quickly, so I can either have him come inside or know he's going to stay outside for awhile longer.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Is it that big of a deal to have a jar of treats next to the door? Sometimes things are only a problem because you're making them a problem. Personally, I'd add a cue like "let's go!" in a cheery voice, toss the treat inside, and close the door behind him. The series should always be cue, delay, then toss the treat. Eventually he'll hear the cue and trot his butt on in automatically expecting his treat instead of waiting to see the treat.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

an egg fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 25, 2023

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Hello dog people!

I was out with a buddy today. He has been figuring out life with his partners little dog. They have a backpack that, in theory, the dog can go into and they can ride their bikes places. The backpack isn't good though. There's nowhere for the dog to properly see out (some very dense mesh over part of it), even though carrying dogs is what the thing is for. If they open it at all, he can unzip it and get out mid ride.

There's a place you can attach his collar so that he can't escape but it's flimsy and long enough that my friend is worried that using it is more likely going to lead to having a dog dangling off his back after it tries to jump, than actually stopping him from getting out.

Is there a product for this that people have used and recommend?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Put the dog in one of those trailer hitches for babies

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

T.C. posted:

Hello dog people!

I was out with a buddy today. He has been figuring out life with his partners little dog. They have a backpack that, in theory, the dog can go into and they can ride their bikes places. The backpack isn't good though. There's nowhere for the dog to properly see out (some very dense mesh over part of it), even though carrying dogs is what the thing is for. If they open it at all, he can unzip it and get out mid ride.

There's a place you can attach his collar so that he can't escape but it's flimsy and long enough that my friend is worried that using it is more likely going to lead to having a dog dangling off his back after it tries to jump, than actually stopping him from getting out.

Is there a product for this that people have used and recommend?

I was looking at something like this for the next dog i get i don't know if it's the best option for them
https://a.co/d/4PQcgWS

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

HootTheOwl posted:

Put the dog in one of those trailer hitches for babies

saw a dude with his ancient Golden doing this earlier this summer, sadly couldn’t get a good picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

This is a completely unhelpful response but I saw someone cycling once with their dog in a basket like contraption on the back of the handlebars rather than in front, and it looked pretty secure. It was a westie, so a small dog, and it looked pretty relaxed in there.

edit: oh I think it was this! https://buddyriderofficial.com.au/

I also used to see a guy who had a wooden trailer that his big old hound would balance on cycling around my uni. I was always fascinated by how that worked.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 26, 2022