Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It looks cool :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

toning down his galloping misogyny made him feel a lot less tryhard if nothing else

His first meeting with David is basically a tryhard-off, which amused me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

pedro0930 posted:

Can someone explain what is going on in this scene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHp-tk3F0xc&t=205s
What's up with the weird air juggle and long scene? A reference to something?

It's funny, OP

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's funny, OP

It also makes the shotgun feel powerful in a way that's different from just splattering people, which the show does enough already that it risks becoming forgettable. The show is good at impact in the visuals, both for comedic and dramatic purposes.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Ragdoll is funny, I dunno what to tell you.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

"You are not permitted to die until I'm done shooting you."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the animation in that episode felt a little sloppier in general

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Arc Hammer posted:

It looks cool :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But it has shotgun juggling and moonwalking

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Trigger is not the studio you go to for guns doing realistic gun things

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Trigger is not the studio you go to for guns doing realistic gun things

Space Patrol Luluco and Inferno Cop beg to differ.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Show good. I was worried about the fact that there is apparently a sexualised underage character but it turns out she's just a petite adult woman that the internet is getting really weird about? I wouldn't have even thought of her as a "loli".

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm re-watching Gurren Lagann and it reminds me how formative this anime was to part of my personality.

Never give up, and push forward through what seems insurmountable.

Trigger is awesome.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Edgerunners is GL's bleak and bloody reflection. Similar ethos, very different outcome. You can draw a lot of analogies between the two shows.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Edgerunners is what happens when anime sensibilities about the lower of determination and drive run headfirst into an uncaring corporate hammer that views everyone as a nail.

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? Don't make me laugh.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

pedro0930 posted:

Can someone explain what is going on in this scene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHp-tk3F0xc&t=205s
What's up with the weird air juggle and long scene? A reference to something?

I think it might be a visual reference from FLCL? I can like vaguely recall a very similar shot.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

im watching episode 5.5 for the first time of gurren lagann (which somehow I've never seen??) and he goes "i don't know anything and I don't care!" and it's very relatable.

I rewatching the cyberpunk anime, it's got too much feels

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

I have seen this like 3 times already & I loved the sub & the dub, but I wish some of the dub's line delivery had been handled better - Maine's psychosis in ep6 for example was way better delivered in the Japanese format even if the English better conveyed the feel of the lingo. That said, I think this is a top 3 anime for me in terms of aesthetics, style, & story. My Shadowrun campaign is already in shambles with everyone rethinking their characters with this depiction of the setting in mind.

Anyway, I think this anime has suckered me into playing the game. Are there any especially fun builds?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Gutpunchs abound, goddamn

It's got me and my wife playing again tho

@seizon: my current quick hack build is fun, I can do a lot of the missions parking my car at the curb, latching on to the camera system and melting everyone's brains before I stroll on-site to Do the Thing

Pulcinella posted:

“just remember: the only person you can really trust is yourself.” I feel like in most media it’s just a setup for the trope of the very obvious shady evil character is going to betray everyone at a pivotal moment.

poo poo, there was one person David could have trusted, and it definitely wasn't himself

Darth Walrus posted:

I think I interpreted the final scene a bit differently than some folks. It's not purely tragic, but bittersweet. Lucy's taking a moment of peace to reconcile her complex feelings about escaping to her dream-world at the expense of the people she loved, and finally chooses to accept their sacrifice by spreading her hands and basking in the otherworldly sunshine David gave her, despite her pain at him no longer being with her. It's sad and messy, but also just a little bit triumphant.

Absolutely not. Lucy is one of the many people David let down.

possibly colored by having watched the whole thing with my wife, but any sense of accomplishment felt like it turned to ash in her mouth. The gently caress is the point of going to the moon, or the top of arasaka, or anything whatsoever, if it's without the one you love

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 26, 2022

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Seizon posted:

I wish some of the dub's line delivery had been handled better - Maine's psychosis in ep6 for example was way better delivered in the Japanese format even if the English better conveyed the feel of the lingo.

I know just barely enough Japanese to have been turned away from subs by how plain and boring a lot of the speaking was (also may have been the lovely early version subs clashing.) I'll take sometimes weak but at least flavored delivery every time, though I didn't get to many hot blooded parts.

Dub VAs got a lot right. Maine is a standout. Rebecca too. Lucy is easily the one that falls flattest in the dub but Aoi kinda phoned her in too

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

Absolutely not. Lucy is one of the many people David let down.

possibly colored by having watched the whole thing with my wife, but any sense of accomplishment felt like it turned to ash in her mouth. The gently caress is the point of going to the moon, or the top of arasaka, or anything whatsoever, if it's without the one you love

She smiled after remembering (or hallucinating) David, and opened her arms to feel the warmth of the sun. Definitely had some bitter, but it didn't look like it turned to ash in her mouth.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Ranzear posted:

I know just barely enough Japanese to have been turned away from subs by how plain and boring a lot of the speaking was (also may have been the lovely early version subs clashing.) I'll take sometimes weak but at least flavored delivery every time, though I didn't get to many hot blooded parts.

Dub VAs got a lot right. Maine is a standout. Rebecca too. Lucy is easily the one that falls flattest in the dub but Aoi kinda phoned her in too

Yeah that's why I went straight for the dub on a rewatch as well - English is often way more flavorful for this kind of stuff. It just came down to how the VAs conveyed emotion in a couple lines, overall I think the dub was much better

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

chiasaur11 posted:

She smiled after remembering (or hallucinating) David, and opened her arms to feel the warmth of the sun. Definitely had some bitter, but it didn't look like it turned to ash in her mouth.

I'd have to rewatch it, but a wan smile isn't victory laps

But again, potentially colored by who I watched it with.

my parents reaching her dreams and ambitions, if she's gotta stand atop my corpse to do it, is like to be left empty and cold

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
imo David’s arc isn’t one of triumph but resignation. he could have stopped risking himself long before things got as bad as they did, but fed himself into the city’s meat grinder because he could only think of living for other people’s ambitions - or worse, what he personally believed those ambitions were, ignoring their own opinions on the matter. his delirious ranting on the way to Arasaka shows that no matter how much he built up his rep, he never stopped being that sullen street kid who wanted to make his mother proud

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Oxxidation posted:

imo David’s arc isn’t one of triumph but resignation. he could have stopped risking himself long before things got as bad as they did, but fed himself into the city’s meat grinder because he could only think of living for other people’s ambitions - or worse, what he personally believed those ambitions were, ignoring their own opinions on the matter. his delirious ranting on the way to Arasaka shows that no matter how much he built up his rep, he never stopped being that sullen street kid who wanted to make his mother proud

Yup

he burns hisself to a crisp towards the end result of most his crew dying and having a drink named after him at the Afterlife.

Taking a year or three off/lowpro to recoup and help Lucy recover would have been the smarter choice, but he was driven.

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 26, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ranzear posted:

I think it's really hard to do 'subdued' without coming off as 'bored.' Which is not only a problem voice acting has.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Seizon posted:

Anyway, I think this anime has suckered me into playing the game. Are there any especially fun builds?

You can't go wrong with mantis claws. Plus they added Lucy's monowire to the game which can function like an AOE mantis claw. Seems pretty sick tbh

Been a while but I think I did a Reflex (or whatever stat scales melee dmg) build, along with stealth and HP. So whenever I eventually got caught I could pull out my claws and kill everything. I'm pretty sure the only deaths I had were hitting gas cans with my claws and blowing myself up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Count me as another thar prefers the dub on this one. That being said I've got a question on the dub for any black viewers. I watch Double Toasted's reviews because I like Kory Coleman. He mentioned that he tried watching the show dubbed but had to switch back to the Japanese audio because he couldn't get over the English voice direction's word choice and performances, making a joke that it sounded like ebonics written by white people. I won't pretend like I'm a linguistics expert so I don't know if I missed any black slang or if he was making a point about the Cyberpunk street terminology being cringey. Did any black viewers find the dubbing rough in any regard for how people talked?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Count me as another thar prefers the dub on this one. That being said I've got a question on the dub for any black viewers. I watch Double Toasted's reviews because I like Kory Coleman. He mentioned that he tried watching the show dubbed but had to switch back to the Japanese audio because he couldn't get over the English voice direction's word choice and performances, making a joke that it sounded like ebonics written by white people. I won't pretend like I'm a linguistics expert so I don't know if I missed any black slang or if he was making a point about the Cyberpunk street terminology being cringey. Did any black viewers find the dubbing rough in any regard for how people talked?

Funnily enough, there's actually a good reason for that - Mike Pondsmith, the creator of the Cyberpunk franchise, is black, and Night City's slang is heavily inspired by AAVE (though with plenty of other linguistic influences).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

You can't go wrong with mantis claws. Plus they added Lucy's monowire to the game which can function like an AOE mantis claw.

An iconic monowire would be cool, but I don't think they've added one yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know Pondsmith is black but I also know that English voiceovers for anime can have a spotty reputation when portraying black characters or characters coded as black. Beau Billingslea has done enough lovely gangsta voices in the 90s before he nailed it as Jet Black. So it's something I would take into consideration. I felt like Maine's English voice worked pretty well most of the time but sounded a hair too gruff during moments when he's meant to soften.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

You can't go wrong with mantis claws. Plus they added Lucy's monowire to the game which can function like an AOE mantis claw. Seems pretty sick tbh

Been a while but I think I did a Reflex (or whatever stat scales melee dmg) build, along with stealth and HP. So whenever I eventually got caught I could pull out my claws and kill everything. I'm pretty sure the only deaths I had were hitting gas cans with my claws and blowing myself up

I was mega let down by monowire on release, cool that they added a better one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think they did, they just made monowires in general more powerful.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Monowire honestly probably needs a nerf now. It's really good. They moved it under Blades instead of wherever it was so now it bounces off a high Reflexes instead of Cool and you just shred everything.

Maybe that's why Lucy didn't fight much. She was secretly too OP.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I actually had no idea they were in the release version, lol. I thought it was an entirely new weapon

Release was wild, like why would I keep using 40dps guns when I have a normal grey mantis blade that does like 1500dps

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Not sure I like monowires being under Reflexes now, TBH. I liked them as one of the few weapons that doesn't require an investment in your two main combat stats - being under Cool fitted with them being stereotypical netrunner weapons, too.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

SirSamVimes posted:

Show good. I was worried about the fact that there is apparently a sexualised underage character but it turns out she's just a petite adult woman that the internet is getting really weird about? I wouldn't have even thought of her as a "loli".

people are dumb

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Rebecca is awesome and it’s hosed up that people think she’s underage or, as I saw one poster say, a “sexualized child”, just because she’s short. I know it’s very trendy right now to equate anime with pedophilia but leave Rebecca alone :cry:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also that story that a CDPR employee gave secondhand on a stream where CDPR was hesitant about Rebecca and apparently Trigger was like "the loli stays" but when you see Japanese sources, it's more that she was cute, not a loli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just figured they meant it as "petite" not the bad word. Like some people were using moe to mean cute or whatever?

Anyways, personally, I still don't really like becca, but I appreciate her ride or die for david and being a reliable person who'll have your back. That I appreciate a lot, it's a very mature thing to do.

It's also another thing, kiwi and lucy were like, "don't believe anyone in night city" yet david and rebecca believed in each other to support one another, and neither wronged the other, so it seems like it flies in the face of that cynicism.