Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Rad posted:

Maybe Oda didn't dwell on it long enough but I thought he did a good job of showing early on that the Waiters/Pleasures are just absolute cannon fodder mooks and the Gifters are much stronger comparably. Thematically, Smile was also important since it ended up playing against Kaido when Tama took control of them - i.e. the inhumane shortcuts Kaido was taking to build his army ended up biting him.
yeah even completely random gifters were at least mild speedbumps for zoro, and a few of them at once were an actual threat. its a pretty good way of beefing up a huge crew, its not like mooks that get a bum fruit are any weaker, theyre just laughing a bunch, and a gifter is at worst a pretty strong mook and at best like a mid-rank marine, depending on luck of the draw with how the animal manifests. the whole idea was to mass produce them and just feed them to every guy in his crew without a devil fruit.

kaido's crew is about 30,000 strong and the smiles have a success rate of 10%. 3000 guys that at minimum are as strong as batman or alpacaman and at best are as strong as holed em actually sounds pretty intimidating. big mom's crew by comparison only seemed like it had a couple hundred guys on that level.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Eiba posted:

I mean, what more is there to say? There were some scars left on the country that would never heal. Killer is also stuck like that for life. It's horrible and will always be a reminder of Kaido's monstrosity.

Idk, maybe that Marco, Law, and Chopper (the world's greatest doctor) could team up and develop a cure? I guess any chance of that happening went out the window with the ice oni virus thing, now THAT's a plot beat that was probably unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. Just let Chopper get a clean W over a named opponent, IMO.

skipmyseashells posted:

vegapunk is gonna end up a better doctor than chopper too

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Endorph posted:

yeah even completely random gifters were at least mild speedbumps for zoro, and a few of them at once were an actual threat. its a pretty good way of beefing up a huge crew, its not like mooks that get a bum fruit are any weaker, theyre just laughing a bunch, and a gifter is at worst a pretty strong mook and at best like a mid-rank marine, depending on luck of the draw with how the animal manifests. the whole idea was to mass produce them and just feed them to every guy in his crew without a devil fruit.

kaido's crew is about 30,000 strong and the smiles have a success rate of 10%. 3000 guys that at minimum are as strong as batman or alpacaman and at best are as strong as holed em actually sounds pretty intimidating.
this post makes me want a one piece RTS or grand strategy game

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the smile thing is definitely being saved for vegapunk to fix it and maybe give chopper a bottomless cotton candy bag

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Cat Machine posted:

I'd main the Amazon Lily faction, it's what Oda would want.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Violen posted:

the smile thing is definitely being saved for vegapunk to fix it and maybe give chopper a bottomless cotton candy bag
I never even considered that Vegapunk explaining devil fruits is probably the scientific link Chopper would need to cure a fake devil fruit illness

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Smoker rules, reread Punk Hazard and really appreciated this moment he had with Luffy.

Minor thing I totally forgot about - Luffy said he ran so fast he lit the ground on fire. Then Oda eventually did a callback with Gear 5 Luffy revving up and running on air, lighting it on fire. :allears:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Cat Machine posted:

Big Mom, Kaido and Blackbeard have armies, and Shanks faction is just a squad of like 5 people that you micromanage

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
brutal break week. or masterful pacing from oda? one of the hypest new arcs of my life

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

I got the tude now posted:

brutal break week. or masterful pacing from oda? one of the hypest new arcs of my life

We've entered a new era of nanomachine breakposting - Vegapunk's sexy body is nanomachines and Blackbeard stole some since he grew up in a snowy country which must be Egghead island.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Fecha posted:

Big Mom, Kaido and Blackbeard have armies, and Shanks faction is just a squad of like 5 people that you micromanage
This is why it would be cool imo, each leader would have their own quirks.

Kaido: Big numbers and high strength in exchange for severe loyalty issues and infighting

Big Mom: Unquestioned loyalty and huge self-sufficiency but huge internal admin issues due to fear culture, big reliance on forming unsteady alliances with other factions

Luffy: A faction that gets good results with small numbers but can be easily derailed by stupid random events like your most powerful commander getting lost when you send him to do something or your leader getting stuck in a chimney for a dozen turns

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Why would they have quirks, this is One Piece not My Hero Academia

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Every time Alpacaman is mentioned I think we're talking about Alpacacino, only to instantly be disappointed.

You're too good for your filler fate, Alpacacino.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

BoosterDuck posted:

why did kaido not just teach his crew to use haki more instead of feeding them smile fruits since his strongest crewmates were real devil fruit users

wtf was the point of smile fruits

I thought it was kaidos way of halfassedly fulfilling his dream of a crew of zoans.

Blackbeard has a fruit collection goal too, and hes going out there and doing something about it. I dont see Kaido kidnapping Marco and all the best zoans.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
kaido just wanted to have a gigantic army of df users to wage war against the world government with & was also seeking the ancient weapons to aid with that but only got as far as 'conquering wano because it seems to be important' there and didn't really have any leads beyond 'the samurai probably know something useful regarding the weapons/one piece'

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lih posted:

kaido just wanted to have a gigantic army of df users to wage war against the world government with & was also seeking the ancient weapons to aid with that but only got as far as 'conquering wano because it seems to be important' there and didn't really have any leads beyond 'the samurai probably know something useful regarding the weapons/one piece'

Well they had Jack somehow finding underwater Wano. IDR if they knew Pluton was there tho.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If Vegapunk ends up being one of the good guys, then they'll be a huge admirer of Dr. Chopper, the brilliant doctor who is a reindeer that ate the human-human fruit.

If Vegapunk ends up being one of the bad guys, they'll be most scared of Dr. Chopper, and will have carefully researched a perfect weapon designed to immediately incapacitate or kill.... a Tanuki.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What about if no sense of right and wrong

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Waffleman_ posted:

What about if no sense of right and wrong

Posting this again for you because it's too great not to!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Super Rad posted:

Still crazy to me that the plot line of the Wano citizens who were poisoned by the Smile runoff and leftover fruits was completely dropped.

The Yamato flashback fills me with a hope that he does return to this at some point, cause yeah. It's really wild that we don't get at least a couple panels that update us on what the status of those Smile users are. Or the status of the flora, which it seemed implied the plant admiral visiting at least helped reset. Or that Sanji didn't cook for all the starving people before ditching.

Yea yea

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
think yamato will join in the epilogue or the final war or something which is fine

yamato IS a strawhat though. not up for debate!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yamawho?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Strawhat Vegapunk

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Star Platinum posted:

Hey, Oda's not THAT old :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta41xU-tkFA

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Look what came in today!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

*the sound of :10bux: flying away into the sunset*

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some notes about Blackbeard.

His Bounty, 3,996,000,000, is composed of numbers divisible by 3. Blackbeard has 3 heads on his flag, and there's a lot of theories that he's actually a triplet, or that he has the Cerberus Fruit or whatever.

If you take the first three digits of his bounty and divide them by 3, you get 133. What happens in Chapter 133?

The very first introduction of the Blackbeard Pirates.

Incidentally, in the very next chapter, we get this exchange between Luffy and Sanji.

Granted, given the context, it's probably more likely to be a reference to the well-known saying (of questionable truth) about how you're not supposed to fall asleep in a snowstorm or something cause you'll never wake up.

But it's interesting that in the same arc that Blackbeard was introduced, we hear about people from the land of snow not sleeping (as we know, Blackbeard doesn't sleep), and how Luffy heard this in a tavern (where Shanks and his crew often hung out, making it very likely that Luffy heard it from them as he did a lot of stuff).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oda does it again.

Though genuinely, while I think Oda's skill at foreshadowing is often overexaggerated Blackbeard is a character where I wouldn't be surprised if Oda had a strong idea of what his deal was going to be from his first appearance and that he's been laying seeds for it from the beginning.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

One of oda's best qualities as a world builder is patience. Like with a lot of things, I think he's got Blackbeard basically fully planned out since he was introduced, and managed to keep it under lid for 20 years, showing only enough details to get people excited about the mystery but not put the pieces together.

The Sun God Nika reveal was an example of that, although Who's Who's infodump felt a bit out of place, there were enough pieces by the end stretching back all the way to Skypeia that at least one person was able to put the pieces together to figure everything out except for the exact name of Luffy's fruit, but for everyone else to just wonder in mystery and enjoy the ride.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I can belive that Oda had the idea for Gear 5 for a while but he couldn’t figure out a way to namedrop Nika sooner.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also amazingly Oda actually managed to make a character match their initial silhouette, given how Van Augur actually does have that hat + gun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also amazingly Oda actually managed to make a character match their initial silhouette, given how Van Augur actually does have that hat + gun.

on the other hand iunno who his twin on the left is

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Look just be happy it's not the Shichi Warlords where everything's Mihawk with a different hat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Blackbeard Pirates didn't even loving have a swordsman until Shiryu joined their crew.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

Proto Shiryu.

Because he has a sword I think

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Proto Shiryu.

Because he has a sword I think

Could also be Lafitte with his top hat and cane. But the correct answer is probably that Oda hadn't designed the full concepts yet.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly I've been reading and thinking back on the previous arcs of One Piece and it's all so loving good.

Like Skypiea's been on my mind a lot cause I started on Dressarosa and saw Bellamy & the statue of Noland -> thought about Jaya -> thought about Skypiea -> remembered the loving tragic friendship of Montblanc Noland and Kalgara and how it ties into the whole Skypiea arc, with Montblanc Cricket helping the Strawhats get to Skypiea to prove its existence, and Wiper desperately fighting not just to reclaim his homeland but also vindicate the name of Noland (whose legacy was destroyed and accomplishments thrown into doubt due to a natural disaster).

It's even got themes that tie into the overarching Celestial Dragon and Im thing because a large part of the conflict has to do with gods (and self-proclaimed gods) and overthrowing/overcoming them.

Seriously, the Noland and Kalgara thing is just sad cause both of their last thoughts were them showing concern for one another (Noland wondering where Kalgara and his tribe had vanished to, and Kalgara worrying about Noland being able to find them), and both of them ultimately died without every having been reunited.

It would only be 400 years later, when Noland's descendants had mostly pretty much died in failed attempts to vindicate their family name, and the Shandia had pretty much decided on a last-effort attempt fight to the death to reclaim their land, that their regrets would finally be somewhat put to rest.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Honestly I've been reading and thinking back on the previous arcs of One Piece and it's all so loving good.

Like Skypiea's been on my mind a lot cause I started on Dressarosa and saw Bellamy & the statue of Noland -> thought about Jaya -> thought about Skypiea -> remembered the loving tragic friendship of Montblanc Noland and Kalgara and how it ties into the whole Skypiea arc, with Montblanc Cricket helping the Strawhats get to Skypiea to prove its existence, and Wiper desperately fighting not just to reclaim his homeland but also vindicate the name of Noland (whose legacy was destroyed and accomplishments thrown into doubt due to a natural disaster).

It's even got themes that tie into the overarching Celestial Dragon and Im thing because a large part of the conflict has to do with gods (and self-proclaimed gods) and overthrowing/overcoming them.

Seriously, the Noland and Kalgara thing is just sad cause both of their last thoughts were them showing concern for one another (Noland wondering where Kalgara and his tribe had vanished to, and Kalgara worrying about Noland being able to find them), and both of them ultimately died without every having been reunited.

It would only be 400 years later, when Noland's descendants had mostly pretty much died in failed attempts to vindicate their family name, and the Shandia had pretty much decided on a last-effort attempt fight to the death to reclaim their land, that their regrets would finally be somewhat put to rest.

And that's why it whips that Luffy's big dramatic display of resolve in that arc isn't "I'm going to beat Enel and save the island”, it's "I'm gonna ring that bell!”

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Cat Machine posted:

I never even considered that Vegapunk explaining devil fruits is probably the scientific link Chopper would need to cure a fake devil fruit illness

What I really want to see is Vegapunk's reaction to the Rumble Ball, which is honestly a wonder of science. Could you imagine any of the Mithological Zoan users with one of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Scallop Eyes posted:

What I really want to see is Vegapunk's reaction to the Rumble Ball, which is honestly a wonder of science. Could you imagine any of the Mithological Zoan users with one of them?

knowing how chopper gets treated vegapunk is going to do everything and get all the credit "oh yeah, i invented that poo poo like 60 years ago. noob"