Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Ok I think I see the nail holes across the top of the shingles. Coming from a hurricane prone area that roof system just seems crazy to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Ok I think I see the nail holes across the top of the shingles. Coming from a hurricane prone area that roof system just seems crazy to me!

we dont get a lot of hurricanes in this country!
The tiles on my roof just hang on the batons and are weighed down by the overlap of the row above. There is only mortar holding down the ridge and at the ridge and the edge....

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm curious about that too, actually. What if you get a strong wind up there (that slatwork is for ventilation, right?). Won't it just make crazy fart noises in winter?

A farting roof to piss off the neighbors is the best idea I've heard for shelter.

ed: Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses › Towards an L shape architecture: the roof makes fart noises

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The tiles do come off in very strong winds but it's uncommon, and we don't get hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, volcanoes, nuffin.

Also they're ceramic tiles, it's not the same deal as those bituminous shingle sheets y'all have.

It's an old system but I guess it still works. My roof has been there for 115 years at this point and is made the exact same way, though with a different membrane material.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 26, 2022

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Mine was 1700€ installed, an ASHP that is rated down to -25, put on my garage. But when winter rolls around I sure am glad to have the ground exchange unit in the house.

Yeah fair if you're looking at a mini-split for a small space it would be cheap but I'm looking at a whole-home ducted system (we already have the ducts for our furnace/AC as is common over here in Canada).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
My reason for going for groundsource was it is more efficient, the COP is better and more consistent through the year as the ground heats and cool much more predictably and less to extremes. That sounds odd.

I have the space for a horizontal ground array and I have a digger to do all that work myself. Its quieter, although not a big deal as I have my secret space behind the L and the enemy fences to lose a noisy airsource heat pump.

The reasons not to are as discussed its a loving closed cartel of scumbags, theres an element of risk in will it work once its all buried as some people have had bad experiences, and to an extent whilst having space for it you do commit that space to never be built on or have any trees planted there etc.

I have an airsource heat pump where I am now in rented accommodation and it doesnt really work. Expensive and not capable of heating this like 80s or 90s? cul de sac detached home. Its not well insulated and has original undersize radiators. So its not a great selling point for airsource, but I do acknowledge why it doesn't work and that shouldn't be a problem in the new place.

The latest samsung air source heat pumps work down to -30 and are generally great apparently. But I'm a bit cynical on this. Like the COP at these low temperatures is presumably poo poo. I bought an air source previously that claimed to work down to -7. Bollocks. It cuts out at like i dunno 12 and won't do poo poo. But it was for a swimming pool so a bit different. Also some of them that claim to work at low temperatures are just running immersion heaters so literally arent heat pumps at all below a certain temp.

The roof setup is, "felt" - a breathable membrane stapled to the rafters/trusses, then counter battens, nailgunned directly up the same rafters, then actual battens at 10cm centres spacing nailed onto the counter battens. This is what ratty likes to call the macdonalds look. The tiles are then laid onto these. Every 5 rows of tiles two clout nails of a specific length and diameter are used per tile. Also all edge tiles at ridges, eaves, valleys and hips are nailed for two courses horizontally. So like maybe 25% of the tiles are nailed down? At 20k tiles your talking 10k nails. And you have to do this with a hammer. I bought stainless as thats what I thought I had to have but ran out and the guy at the tiles place refused to sell me more as he decreed it unnecessary so got cheaper aluminium ones after that. They bend and splat more easily with my cack handed hammering. I suspect he knew this.

All the tiles are predrilled for two nail holes. Except where they arent. The last roof I did in the south of france, none of the tiles were nailed and did not have holes, whilst its mostly nicer weather there I think the extreme winds in the hills could probably be worse than here but whatever? Hmm also if you live in certain regions of the UK, coastal really, the rules change and you have to nail more often.

Nail holes which must have a better, technical name. And bonus hand prints on some of the tiles to demonstrate they are handmade. Like its some dudes job to high five every tile as it gets cut or whatever. Or maybe theres a robot wheel with fake hands I dunno.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 26, 2022

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Jaded Burnout posted:

The tiles do come off in very strong winds but it's uncommon, and we don't get hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, volcanoes, nuffin.

Also they're ceramic tiles, it's not the same deal as those bituminous shingle sheets y'all have.

It's an old system but I guess it still works. My roof has been there for 115 years at this point and is made the exact same way, though with a different membrane material.

*You didn't used to get hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, volcanoes, nuffin.

What's the maintenance like on those? They are very uncommon where I live (think Finland, but colder and much nicer, less mammu), I figure a meter of snow would do things to that setup but no need for you to worry about that.

So the setup is not a waterproof membrane below the tiles? You're kinda blowing my mind here. They look ceramic and heavy, so that would help a lot?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm a big fan of roof lead.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The membrane is waterproof. a bit.

The membrane is located on the cold side of the insulation. It prevents moisture that may have been getting through the external cladding from piercing further into the structure. However, their air-permeability allows the structure to be ventilated, avoiding the accumulation of condensation.

Breathable membranes also act as a secondary layer of protection to help prevent external environmental impurities such as dirt and rain from entering the structure and causing damage.

I copy and pasted that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goatface posted:

I'm a big fan of roof lead.

I have one bit of lead. Look out for it in future posts. Actually two other small bits already installed on the base of the garage goalpost oaks.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The tiles stop most of the wind and almost all the rain, the membrane stops the rest of the wind and any trickles of water that get in, and then the attic is an unheated space with insulation for the rooms below.

If you've seen the way a normal US timber wall is constructed, it's the same principle, just without the OSB (I assume because it's not structurally needed). Just think "tile" instead of "siding". The siding/cladding isn't fixed onto the OSB, you put battens on.

NJAN98
Sep 28, 2022

I'M A HUGE WHINY BABY THAT REGISTERED AN ACCOUNT JUST TO AVOID PROBATION AND THE IGNORE LIST.
You've made some legitimately poor decisions here mate. Need to take a look at yourself

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hey look it's the luigi to this thread's mario, or would be if OP wasn't already the luigi.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Was doing some work on our central heating, which made think of your system plan.

What happens if all the water in the store is at 60 but the back boiler is on? Does the back boiler have its own safety valve?

Also, speaking from experience, if you vent very very hot water into the header tank the boiling hot stream will melt a hole in the header tank and release the water in to your house, and the cold feed will piss out indefinitely until you turn it off because it is trying to refill the holed header tank, leaving you with a massive mess leading to replacing all ceilings and floors in the path.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CancerCakes posted:

Was doing some work on our central heating, which made think of your system plan.

What happens if all the water in the store is at 60 but the back boiler is on? Does the back boiler have its own safety valve?

Also, speaking from experience, if you vent very very hot water into the header tank the boiling hot stream will melt a hole in the header tank and release the water in to your house, and the cold feed will piss out indefinitely until you turn it off because it is trying to refill the holed header tank, leaving you with a massive mess leading to replacing all ceilings and floors in the path.

Yeah this is the strong argument for having the best safety valve you can get on your hot water tank, and not leaving the immersion switch on all the time

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The good news is if it leaks through the foundations, nothing short of a nike nuke is going to cause structural damage.

E: trainers, my one weakness.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Lmao

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

CancerCakes posted:

Regardless of the temp the thermal store water is at, the back boiler on the wood burner has a thermostatic valve on the pump that cycles the water round a loop through just the back boiler until it reaches sufficient temp to be pumped into and back from the thermal store. This pump is started by a thermostat in the back of the wood burner that detects it is starting to heat up.

60 degrees in the thermal store is no problem and it will keep cycling the water round. The thermal store has a cold quencher coil fed from mains water if it hits like 98degrees or something. But the thermal store is 500litres so nothing is upsetting it quickly, the woodburner is rated at like 6kw I think to the heat store. There is also a 3kw immersion heater on it, I think mostly for if the heat pump fails. The company I am going to get the store from also supplies the vented header tank with it so there shouldn't be an opportunity to gently caress that up although I must admit I don't fully understand how any "overflow" hits that tank, whether its going to be liquid or steam. The header tanks has a copper(?brass maybe) overflow ball float to the drain.

But yes ultimately the wood burner back boiler has a built in temp valve to drain at 98degrees so if it hit that it would start pissing the water away to drain before anything boiled and I guess the thermal store wold replenish from cold mains. Also the back boiler has a cold quencher coil built in as a backup.

Like I know this is serious business and I'm happy for people to interrogate my proposed setup so I don't do anything dumb but I do feel like I've got it all covered?

I guess there should never be any steam involved.

BOOM

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 29, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The plant room has a low pitch roof, 20degrees, to maintain headroom but avoid being a yucky flat roof. Its too shallow for the tiles so I've bought a cheap lot of slates for it. The battens are much wider spaced. Lucky cos I've pretty much run out again.

Its a somewhat complicated junction on the inner bend of the L where the three roof elements meet so I've taken some tiles and slates up to figure it out and bought a bit of lead to bodge the middle bit where a whole bunch of rain is going to converge. I hit it with a hammer which is quite fun.

Crimp the lead edges to what looks relatively nice and neat and hopefully not dumb in terms of overlaps.

Ready for tiling.

Well, ready to start loading up tiles anyway. 20 thousand of the buggers. So plan is mix up a load of around 200 at a go to get a nicely mixed up look from all the different ones I've collected. Then digger them up on the forks and offload them from scaffold tower onto the roof. You have to try and balance the roof in terms of weight. I lay a few on the corner just to check it doesnt look totally awful, then its a case of walking up 10ish tiles at a time by hand and stacking them across the whole roof evenly before coming back to actually lay and fix them all.

Obviously have to load up the back side of the roof at the same time as theres no access round the back thanks to my neighbours friendly and welcoming fence placement. So its climb up the roof, straddle over and back down the other side stacking as I go. I made a little table to rest the tiles on as I step over.

Skylights get delivered.

Very weird company. Didn't want paying up front, came with a credit card machine to do it before they unloaded. Which wouldn't connect so had to ring up their boss and pay over the phone in the end? Too cheap to set up online payments? I dunno. Not totally confidence inspiring.

But...

A positive entry for the budget!

Pub landlords have been kicked out by the bullshit pub company and so theyre stripping out all the ten years worth of improvements they've made including their gates. But they couldnt get the gateposts out so I turned up with digger and yanked them out for them. I tried to ineffectually refuse the money and then licked my lips and grabbed it.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Holy gently caress lmao

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thread continues to deliver

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I was all stoked to say how pretty I thought that roof was going to be and I'm excited to see it finished, and then you go and completely show up 99 with this.

Goddamn :golfclap:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

bin loadin up the tiles

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

bin loadin up the tiles

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Takes me right back to Photoshop Phriday circa November 2001

Gasmask fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 1, 2022

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:drat:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

bin loadin up the tiles

:perfect:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

rofl

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So one wing has the big posh skylights. other wing just some small velux, top hung windows that I'll lay into the loft, that definitely wont eventually be a room. Gone to collect three of them, fits easily enough.

Then its a case of figuring out how to fit them. I've done a few before, never a top hung one and some other brands. It's simple enough... not quite idiot proof I would attest to.

Anyway get all three set in.

Then back to loading up tiles.

im all muscles now. and bad ankles.

Lol.

always forget the drone shot.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 4, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

now all i need to do is...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah I was just thinking I hope there’s no strong winds.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
What are the odds some very gusty winds blow through the UK? Surely that'll never happen at the most inopportune time.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This is starting to look worryingly like a real house

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This image is forever burned into my memory

I can never look at a McDonald's the same way, ever again

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I didn't even have to read the text boxes, the format alone was enough for my brain to paint in the little corner guy

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

eurgh. ratty is such a shitbag.

Anyway.

So the whole vehicle thing is a real pain in the arse. Part of being a self builder is being able to disappear off on ebay money savings. But I need a vehicle, and roofrack and towbar and such to do that.

So... given the saab failing its MOT so heavily, I've instead spent that money on...

A pickup truck. I am now loving cool.

Yeah so...

driving it home from some incredibly dodgy wonk eyed yokel. Its blown up.

the AA are, completely out of alphabetic order, total C words about it.

Accuse me of driving without tax and insurance and stuff. gently caress you I just bought it heres all the codes, come pick me up you fuckers.

Which they do... after quite a while. its a sunday so the guy explains he has to take me to like a motorway service area.

This is further from my house than where I broke down? He says someone will come to check on it, hes just removing me from the dangerous hard shoulder location.

This is like 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

theres an app. but my job keeps disappearing off it. my phone is now dying.

pushing midnight...

after midnight.

so yeah I dropped 4k on a truck that instantly blew up and then spent all sunday with the aa subcontractors lying to me and dragging me around to different motorway service areas so they dont need to deal with me.

so again. here I am monday morning with my works vehicle

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 5, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

this is what we call 'foreshadowing'

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

eurgh. ratty is such a shitbag.

Anyway.

So the whole vehicle thing is a real pain in the arse. Part of being a self builder is being able to disappear off on ebay money savings. But I need a vehicle, and roofrack and towbar and such to do that.

So... given the saab failing its MOT so heavily, I've instead spent that money on...

A pickup truck. I am now loving cool.

Yeah so...

driving it home from some incredibly dodgy wonk eyed yokel. Its blown up.

the AA are, completely out of alphabetic order, total C words about it.

Accuse me of driving without tax and insurance and stuff. gently caress you I just bought it heres all the codes, come pick me up you fuckers.

Which they do... after quite a while. its a sunday so the guy explains he has to take me to like a motorway service area.

This is further from my house than where I broke down? He says someone will come to check on it, hes just removing me from the dangerous hard shoulder location.

This is like 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

theres an app. but my job keeps disappearing off it. my phone is now dying.

pushing midnight...

after midnight.

so yeah I dropped 4k on a truck that instantly blew up and then spent all sunday with the aa subcontractors lying to me and dragging me around to different motorway service areas so they dont need to deal with me.

so again. here I am monday morning with my works vehicle

So what can you do to remedy the situation? Who did you get the truck from, a reputable dealer or somebody selling it from under a bridge arch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Who did you get the truck from, a reputable dealer or somebody selling it from under a bridge arch?

guess