Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hollow core doors are awful, but you seem to be saying the bulk of the sound is coming through the wall. Realistically you probably want to deal with both things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

H110Hawk posted:

We used to have one of those stuck to the wall. Now there is a sticker on the wall where it used to be.
You do it with screws, I didn't even know they made sticker options

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

You do it with screws, I didn't even know they made sticker options

Yeah I figured. I am just laughing because my 3 year old is a destroyer. The door stops were screwed in but he learned that you could Hulk them off, or unscrew them, over time. Opened doors to just a nub sticking out that used to be attached to the doorstop that I then got to unscrew with plyers.

I should see if one will fit on our base board trim.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Instead of those springy guys at the bottom of doors, in my house there's a plastic disc (painted over) for the doorknobs to slam into. I think you should seriously consider putting a stop or disk over the hole, since it's perfectly centered where the doorknob is going to smack into it anyway. It'll be less attractive of a thing to attack to your 3-year-old, and it'll be far cheaper and easier to install.

https://www.amazon.com/WHITE-Door-Protector-Handle-Guard/dp/B002O75DDQ?th=1

As an added bonus one of our cats needs to jump up and tag the disk in the bedroom about once every month or two. Just gets a feeling and she leaps up and bops it once and then wanders off.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah I figured. I am just laughing because my 3 year old is a destroyer. The door stops were screwed in but he learned that you could Hulk them off, or unscrew them, over time. Opened doors to just a nub sticking out that used to be attached to the doorstop that I then got to unscrew with plyers.

I should see if one will fit on our base board trim.

Sometimes this thread is excellent birth control.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This is probably a dumb question but trying to make my condo look like not poo poo, and there's a phone jack without a cover where the wires have been pushed in:

But I have absolutely no idea what goes over this. Trying to use an outlet cover doesn't work because the cover is too small for the whole thing, and it's got like, little raised bits.

What am I supposed to use here? Is there a particular name for it? If I can just cover up the whole thing then that's also fine, don't give a drat about the landline.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Morpheus posted:

This is probably a dumb question but trying to make my condo look like not poo poo, and there's a phone jack without a cover where the wires have been pushed in:

But I have absolutely no idea what goes over this. Trying to use an outlet cover doesn't work because the cover is too small for the whole thing, and it's got like, little raised bits.

What am I supposed to use here? Is there a particular name for it? If I can just cover up the whole thing then that's also fine, don't give a drat about the landline.

It’s supposed to have a plate over it with the jack mounted in the center and pins to hang a wall-mounted phone. Not sure if there’s anything that can be done other than to replace the front panel or the whole thing with another one, aside from removing it entirely and repairing the drywall.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Morpheus posted:

The exterior piece looks like it's held on by paint? If so, pop it off and see if that makes your blank 1-gang cover fit. Use a razor blade to slip behind it and cut the paint.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I fuckin love load-bearing paint.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Get a wired wall phone with a coily cord and install it proper.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mutata posted:

Get a wired wall phone with a coily cord and install it proper.

I just remembered mine had a yellow cord.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 28, 2022

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also acceptable are a hamburger phone:

Or the Sports Illustrated Football Phone:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Garfield phone

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Morpheus posted:

I have these in my house as well. As others have said, they're supposed to have an additional plate on top of them that allows the installation of a wall mounted phone. With the proper plate it will stick out about a half inch from the wall and look butt ugly. I'll take a picture of one of mine when I get home from work.

I would remove the remaining part of the wall mount setup and determine what kind of box, if any, is behind the wall. If there's a proper box you should be able to mount a standard blank plate, or wire in a regular phone jack plate. If there's not a proper box you can either install an old work box and cover it with a plate or go all PO on it, disconnect the phone line at the distribution block, shove the whole mess into the wall, and patch the hole.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 28, 2022

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001
I know this is a long shot but it's driving me nuts. Bought the house two years ago. Just started noticing that when it rains hard, a small amount of water comes down from this spot in basement ceiling. It's about half a cup of water after a really hard rain.

The red arrow in the second image shows the outside part of the house that lines up with where the water is coming in. I tried spraying this area with a hose but I'm unable to reproduce the problem.

This may have been happening before I bought the house. There was a piece of cardboard in the basement ceiling that seems like it was trying to redirect the water.

I also had the front porch rebuilt. Not sure if that matters or not but I figured I would mention it since it's near the area of water.

Anybody have any ideas on how to proceed?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Water intrusion doesn't necessarily have to occur in a similar place on the exterior of the house as where you observe it on the interior. Water can run down the insides of walls, along pipes, etc. and then show up somewhere completely different from where it got in. So it can be tricky to trace unless you can spot a smoking gun. Angle of attack can also matter -- if your hose is spraying up while rain falls down, for example, then you may not get the same results that a storm would.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
You might try moving your downspout exit so that it's away from the house, angling it a little more to the right when looking at it from that photo. Especially since it looks like maybe it slants towards the house a little bit? Water might still end up draining towards your foundation.

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Water intrusion doesn't necessarily have to occur in a similar place on the exterior of the house as where you observe it on the interior. Water can run down the insides of walls, along pipes, etc. and then show up somewhere completely different from where it got in. So it can be tricky to trace unless you can spot a smoking gun. Angle of attack can also matter -- if your hose is spraying up while rain falls down, for example, then you may not get the same results that a storm would.

This is helpful. There is a radiator pipe that goes vertically where the water comes in. I initially wrote it off because the radiator runs all the time but water only comes in when it rains. The pipe goes all the way up to the second story. It's possible water is coming in on the second floor and following that pipe down to the basement.

Danhenge posted:

You might try moving your downspout exit so that it's away from the house, angling it a little more to the right when looking at it from that photo. Especially since it looks like maybe it slants towards the house a little bit? Water might still end up draining towards your foundation.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I have two outdoor floodlights that I want to make flash in an alternating pattern. Does anyone know of a controller/sequencer that can do this that can also be left outside? Preferably something where the speed can be adjusted.

I found this on Amazon: https://a.co/d/hh4jxhN which I think would work but also seems more complicated than I need. I also can't find any competing products that do the same thing.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

PremiumSupport posted:

I have these in my house as well. As others have said, they're supposed to have an additional plate on top of them that allows the installation of a wall mounted phone. With the proper plate it will stick out about a half inch from the wall and look butt ugly. I'll take a picture of one of mine when I get home from work.

I would remove the remaining part of the wall mount setup and determine what kind of box, if any, is behind the wall. If there's a proper box you should be able to mount a standard blank plate, or wire in a regular phone jack plate. If there's not a proper box you can either install an old work box and cover it with a plate or go all PO on it, disconnect the phone line at the distribution block, shove the whole mess into the wall, and patch the hole.

Here's a picture of what mine look like with all the parts installed:
https://imgur.com/a/2mvwZtp

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MrChrome posted:

This is helpful. There is a radiator pipe that goes vertically where the water comes in. I initially wrote it off because the radiator runs all the time but water only comes in when it rains. The pipe goes all the way up to the second story. It's possible water is coming in on the second floor and following that pipe down to the basement.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

this may well be the issue, i dealt with something similar

fortunately, the issue is pretty easy to fix provided you can access the pipe. There's likely a rubber boot around the pipe that may have cracked, and you can replace it yourself.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Oh man I could think of more creative ways to reuse all the phone jacks in my house before I tear out and patch over them. I have one of these phones at home that I got at an estate sale.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have a "Genesis" Sodastream machine, when I attempt to screw in the canister it immediately starts releasing CO2 at max pressure.

I assume it has something to do with this bit here:

Where maybe the seal is no longer firm enough? I am trying to take it apart to get a better look, but inspite unscrewing all the screws it still won't come apart.

If I could fix it that'd be great, as its 100$ CAD to get a new one. But I have no idea what I'm doing and there seems to be nothing definitive online.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I don't know anything about sodastreams, but I do know that my CO2 Airsoft guns require the occasional use of gun oil to lubricate the CO2 canister seal. I don't recommend using gun oil in your situation, but perhaps there's a more appropriate lubricant for sodastreams or whipped cream applicator canister seals?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was able to take apart the thing!

I am assuming currently I need to replace these gaskets. But I'm not sure what to look for, should I just take a tape measurer?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
It does indeed look like the gasket is a replaceable part.

This is the first Amazon link I got from a quick google search for "Sodastream CO2 Seal"

https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Cylinder-Exchange-Carbonator-Suitable/dp/B09LT87HXT

Edit - This part looks closer to the one you need for the cartridge side of the unit:
https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Brew-N...000DZFVDS&psc=1

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 29, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PremiumSupport posted:

It does indeed look like the gasket is a replaceable part.

This is the first Amazon link I got from a quick google search for "Sodastream CO2 Seal"

https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Cylinder-Exchange-Carbonator-Suitable/dp/B09LT87HXT

Edit - This part looks closer to the one you need for the cartridge side of the unit:
https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Brew-N...000DZFVDS&psc=1

Yeah those look like they're for a different kind of machine.

I am thinking just getting something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Haobase-Rubber-Gasket-Washer-Assortment/dp/B07LF5YVJH/ref and then trying different gaskets until it works.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I realize those are black and these are not, but consider "food grade" for replacement parts, e.g.:
https://www.amazon.ca/Ochoos-Clear-Grade-Silicone-Rubber/dp/B07MD6WJ2Z
Although silicone might be too soft, too. If you're not too concerned about the contact point for those o-rings being directly in contact with the gas or liquids, then the rubber o-rings are probably better.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah those look like they're for a different kind of machine.

I am thinking just getting something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Haobase-Rubber-Gasket-Washer-Assortment/dp/B07LF5YVJH/ref and then trying different gaskets until it works.

One of the comments on the second link does specifically mention fixing a sodastream cartridge leak successfully.

Leperflesh posted:

I realize those are black and these are not, but consider "food grade" for replacement parts, e.g.:
Although silicone might be too soft, too. If you're not too concerned about the contact point for those o-rings being directly in contact with the gas or liquids, then the rubber o-rings are probably better.

Yeah, there are lots of options out there for o-rings and gaskets, just make sure if you do buy a kit that it's a food-grade kit, not just regular rubber.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PremiumSupport posted:

One of the comments on the second link does specifically mention fixing a sodastream cartridge leak successfully.

Yeah, there are lots of options out there for o-rings and gaskets, just make sure if you do buy a kit that it's a food-grade kit, not just regular rubber.

Excellent, thanks for pointing that out. :)

Leperflesh posted:

October 24 with free shipping. :negative:

Well I'm ordering them as well and I'll see how well the rubber ones do when they arrive first.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Any idea what these little bugs are? Hard to get a good shot, I think they have six legs. Slightly bigger brown ones, tinier white ones. They appear to be milling about and not coming from or going to a specific place. They're incredibly small, I didn't even notice them until I was closer.

Edit: Took a closer look at the plastic sealed rice container that had been there. I bet you'll never guess what I found in the container.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 30, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Any idea what these little bugs are? Hard to get a good shot, I think they have six legs. Slightly bigger brown ones, tinier white ones. They appear to be milling about and not coming from or going to a specific place. They're incredibly small, I didn't even notice them until I was closer.

Edit: Took a closer look at the plastic sealed rice container that had been there. I bet you'll never guess what I found in the container.

Looks a bit like a termite but it's hard to tell due to the size. Definitely capture some in a ziplock or other container that seals. Have you seen any others?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Rexxed posted:

Looks a bit like a termite but it's hard to tell due to the size. Definitely capture some in a ziplock or other container that seals. Have you seen any others?

The container of rice was filthy with them when I moved it around. The rice in that container had been inside a bag in a bigger container which I guess wasn't good enough to keep them out.

None of my other containers had any of what I assume are grain weevils or similar.

Edit: When I say tiny, I mean immeasurable by any tools I had. The pictures were taken in macro mode on my phone and couldn't even focus on them.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 30, 2022

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The container of rice was filthy with them when I moved it around. The rice in that container had been inside a bag in a bigger container which I guess wasn't good enough to keep them out.

None of my other containers had any of what I assume are grain weevils or similar.

Edit: When I say tiny, I mean immeasurable by any tools I had. The pictures were taken in macro mode on my phone and couldn't even focus on them.

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef612

Some type of grain beetle?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:ssh: They didn't get into your rice; they hatched there

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

:mad:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

gross but true

https://foodsguy.com/long-term-rice-storage/
https://readysquirrel.com/should-you-freeze-rice-before-long-term-storage/

pmchem fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 1, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Yup. This is how pantry moths or whatever the hell you have works.

Enjoy buying air tight containers and keep absolutely everything in them for a year or two to get rid of this.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Need some build advice. Long story short I have a door and a door frame that I need to be free standing, but will still be used by people so I need it to be sturdy without having too many tripping hazards.
I got a big board to mount it on, but I don't think that's going to be stable enough. What's the most basic, out of the way thing I can do here to make this work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A freestanding doorframe is gonna be real tippy since it's so narrow, you'd have to use some heavy duty methods to secure it to the ground.

It's a little bigger of a profile but triangle braces on both sides of the door frame ought to work. Like this, but much larger in size: