Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

off the top of my head

Glad to hear that Tommy Lee Jones can sanction Harrison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Robot Style posted:

In the Legends continuity, it was a piece of repurposed mining equipment, but the Disney canon changed it into an Imperial torture device that they brought with them.

I don't think the empire could call itself a proper despotic regime if they couldn't set up some equipment for a bit of on-site torture on short notice

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Andor ep 4 is friggin great

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Upsidads posted:

Andor ep 4 is friggin great

Stellan Skarsgård is so perfect for Star Wars. It's criminal that he wasn't part of it up until now.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, but he'd have been wasted in most of the other shows they've been putting out recently. They managed to make Max Von Sydow a forgettable one-and-done character so I don't see them giving Skarsgård much to work with.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love the vibe for andor. I don’t mind it doesn’t have a cool action scene like Mando. It feels like classic Star Wars especially with how it’s shot. Some handheld but mostly very well done locked down shots. It’s kind of nice even though I’m way more into cool dolly movements and stuff

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CelticPredator posted:

I love the vibe for andor. I don’t mind it doesn’t have a cool action scene like Mando. It feels like classic Star Wars especially with how it’s shot. Some handheld but mostly very well done locked down shots. It’s kind of nice even though I’m way more into cool dolly movements and stuff

It does have cool actions scenes though! The climax of the third episode had some great action, and I'm guessing episode will have the same.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The chain room shootout in Andor is a lot better than the rote gunplay in mando s2 and whatever showbi/booka were doing. All of the laser blasts seem to knock harder too

Watching the first three in a bundle worked so well that I'm debating letting 4-6 accumulate before watching

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Mando did have the sole action scene that worked well in Book of Boba. Him in the meat locker vs the jerks.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ingmar terdman posted:

The chain room shootout in Andor is a lot better than the rote gunplay in mando s2 and whatever showbi/booka were doing. All of the laser blasts seem to knock harder too

Watching the first three in a bundle worked so well that I'm debating letting 4-6 accumulate before watching

That’s what I’m doing.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's better to watch it in batches for sure, unless part of your enjoyment is in the posting or reading the posts. A shameful being, basically

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's better to watch it in batches for sure, unless part of your enjoyment is in the posting or reading the posts. A shameful being, basically

alright qui gon keep it down

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowman_McK posted:

Tommy Lee Jones said this about him "Harrison [Harrison Ford] is probably the best physical actor working today. I don't simply mean hanging on to the hood of a Nazi truck as it zooms around the desert. He has a way of running that's quite articulate. He uses his body very, very well." I think that's really why Ford has done as well as he has. He's fantastic at communicating with gestures. He might not have the skills of a classically trained actor, but he can strike a pose or facial expression and you know exactly where his character is at that point.

You don't see a lot of that kind of skill anymore. Reminded of Peter Weller, who apparently had trained as a mime and worked hard to give Robocop very particular physicality and mannerisms- and had to start over from scratch when the costume turned out to be too bulky for the 'snakelike' movements they'd originally envisioned. And Arnold Schwarzenegger also comes to mind as specifically training not just to have a ridiculous physique but how to use it and show it off- there's a video where he's taking lessons from a ballet instructor, specifically to learn and keep in practice with his movements and poise.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You don't see a lot of that kind of skill anymore. Reminded of Peter Weller, who apparently had trained as a mime and worked hard to give Robocop very particular physicality and mannerisms- and had to start over from scratch when the costume turned out to be too bulky for the 'snakelike' movements they'd originally envisioned. And Arnold Schwarzenegger also comes to mind as specifically training not just to have a ridiculous physique but how to use it and show it off- there's a video where he's taking lessons from a ballet instructor, specifically to learn and keep in practice with his movements and poise.

They made Andy Serkis sit on a chair.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded of Peter Weller, who apparently had trained as a mime and worked hard to give Robocop very particular physicality and mannerisms- and had to start over from scratch when the costume turned out to be too bulky for the 'snakelike' movements they'd originally envisioned.

This is true. I worked really hard on that performance. :v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

PeterWeller posted:

This is true. I worked really hard on that performance. :v:

You did well on the first concept, but you did Weller in the final movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've always that about Arnie. Not a great verbal actor, but very, very aware of how to use his body on camera. How to sit or stand or walk in character.

Grendels Dad posted:

You did well on the first concept, but you did Weller in the final movie.

goddamn close the thread it's not getting better than this.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Look at this incredible motherfucker become two completely different people by slightly hunching his neck. This always amazes me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMH3omIA15k

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Snowman_McK posted:

I've always that about Arnie. Not a great verbal actor, but very, very aware of how to use his body on camera. How to sit or stand or walk in character.

Oh yeah, no one else coulda sold the Terminator.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Snowman_McK posted:

My favourite example of this is in the first Terminator when he's driving along in the cop car looking for Sarah/Kyle and his eyes starting "panning" to the side and then his head follows and then it goes back the other way, just a little thing selling how machine like he is

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

garycoleisgod posted:

My favourite example of this is in the first Terminator when he's driving along in the cop car looking for Sarah/Kyle and his eyes starting "panning" to the side and then his head follows and then it goes back the other way, just a little thing selling how machine like he is

Someone should compare his and Robocop's movement patterns, I want to say they map well.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gosling does similar stuff through BR2049. Physical acting like that is underrated, but it’s also relatively rare for directors and scripts to call for it.

I wonder how Anthony Daniels would pull of C3PO if he was mocapped sans-suit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I read that there's a bit in T2 where the T-800 and T-1000 first meet face to face, both of them freeze for a moment- because neither of them have ever had to fight another Terminator before, and they don't have any existing programming or data for it as they do for killing humans, which they are extensively prepared for.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
both patrick and schwarzenegger are a masterclass of physical and facial acting in that film

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

well why not posted:

Gosling does similar stuff through BR2049. Physical acting like that is underrated, but it’s also relatively rare for directors and scripts to call for it.

BR2049 is so loving good on almost all levels. I think what most people here really want is just star wars... that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJqYoMxG7o

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 2, 2022

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Glottis posted:

BR2049 is so loving good on almost all levels. I think what most people here really want is just star wars... that.

2049 is a great movie, but I actually thought it was a step down from the original in terms of...weird physical energy? Both Gosling and Sylvia Hoeks are fantastic as human-plus replicants, and Ford is shockingly great when he wants to be. His nonverbal acting when Wallace is telling him he's a replicant is aces.

But the original had this raw, wild surrealism that 2049's pristine formalism can't really match. Daryl Hannah juggling eggs and doing screaming roundoffs, Rutger Hauer howling like a wolf as he snaps Harrison Ford's fingers and chases him through the walls. Sean Young is so strikingly weird and miserable that her face and shoulders are a high point of not just Blade Runner but 2049 too. Plus all those Ridley Scott strobe lights and poo poo. I miss that vibe. Villeneuve's a great director but his formalism is stifling sometimes, to me.

2049 has some really interesting use of air and water and dirt that open up new visual territory. Those are cool.

I suspect a lot of the differences come down to Cronenworth vs Deakins as DPs. I wish we'd seen Cronenworth's Alien 3.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I generally found Villeneuve's formalism a much better match for Dune, where (ironically) he wasn't beholden to reproducing an earlier work.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

josh04 posted:

I generally found Villeneuve's formalism a much better match for Dune, where (ironically) he wasn't beholden to reproducing an earlier work.

Yeah it felt like a way better fit for Dune.

I loved 2049 and it felt like the sets were there to complement the energy General Battuta describes in the original in the performances but there's only a few moments that get close to it. Like Sylvia Hoek's gleeful "smoooch I'M THE BEST!" is amazing, Bautista chatting a bit about garlic and stuff. Kind of wish everyone around Ryan Gosling was a little more extra with their eccentricness or something. I don't think it's something replicating the look of the original more would have helped with for better or for worse and I don't think any of the performances are bad or anything like that. Just the original has this kind of off sense of danger from how everyone looks and acts at all times that I don't think any of the movies it inspired really come close to matching.

2049 owns though, any complaints I've had about it are basically nitpicks to me. And I really did love Ford in it and how the story used him. It would have been really easy to do something more more unquestionably nostalgia pandering or have him be a bigger part of the plot early on but they got it perfect. And I loved they managed to not actually say if he was a replicant or not which fuckin' ruled.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

josh04 posted:

100%. The scenes in 2049 where Officer K goes to the, uh...reference desk? and it's got all these shimmery water reflections going on already looked straight outta Dune. So did Wallace's floating eye-robots.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I read that there's a bit in T2 where the T-800 and T-1000 first meet face to face, both of them freeze for a moment- because neither of them have ever had to fight another Terminator before, and they don't have any existing programming or data for it as they do for killing humans, which they are extensively prepared for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhL8WlDHKaY&t=183s

The bit where they start wrestling over the shotgun and neither of them is able to immediately overpower the other doesn't read as hesitation to me, but I can see how it might.

also the t1000's 9mm making 'suppressed pistol' sounds is an odd design choice that i never noticed before.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

General Battuta posted:

2049 is a great movie, but I actually thought it was a step down from the original in terms of...weird physical energy? Both Gosling and Sylvia Hoeks are fantastic as human-plus replicants, and Ford is shockingly great when he wants to be. His nonverbal acting when Wallace is telling him he's a replicant is aces.

But the original had this raw, wild surrealism that 2049's pristine formalism can't really match. Daryl Hannah juggling eggs and doing screaming roundoffs, Rutger Hauer howling like a wolf as he snaps Harrison Ford's fingers and chases him through the walls. Sean Young is so strikingly weird and miserable that her face and shoulders are a high point of not just Blade Runner but 2049 too. Plus all those Ridley Scott strobe lights and poo poo. I miss that vibe. Villeneuve's a great director but his formalism is stifling sometimes, to me.

2049 has some really interesting use of air and water and dirt that open up new visual territory. Those are cool.

I suspect a lot of the differences come down to Cronenworth vs Deakins as DPs. I wish we'd seen Cronenworth's Alien 3.

I really love Dennis' formalist, grounded take on the Blade Runner world, and am glad we have his iteration. I find 2049 a bit more rewatchable, mostly because his style gels with me more.

Also, I don't really want to see someone else's imitation of Scott's oddball surrealist genre worlds because I honestly don't think anyone else can really pull it off. Blade Runner, Legend, Prometheus, and even Ash in Aliens have this entrancing energy of *weird* performance choices, editing rhythms, and aesthetics that are both bizarre but somehow cohesive. He just comes at that stuff with a very unique viewpoint. He did it again with the opening episodes of Raised by Wolves, but then the performance ticks just became rote and dull when the show got handed off to other directors (even though the plot points became increasingly surreal).

Scott is a treasure with a unique outlook on things, we already have his movie, and I think anyone else trying to mimic him would just ring hollow. 2049 is strong largely because Villeneuve and Deakins follows their own instincts instead of trying to replicate what Scott and Cronenworth did. When Deakins did initial interviews for 2049 he said he was going to film the story as he understood it, and wouldn't add lens flares and light shafts just because that's what Cronenworth did. That probably upset some people, but it gave me faith in the project.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

thatbastardken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhL8WlDHKaY&t=183s

The bit where they start wrestling over the shotgun and neither of them is able to immediately overpower the other doesn't read as hesitation to me, but I can see how it might.

also the t1000's 9mm making 'suppressed pistol' sounds is an odd design choice that i never noticed before.

It's not exactly hesitation, I see it- it's basically like, a brief lock up or at least processing, because after they've run out of bullets to pour into each other they've also run out of reflexive responses and have to actually process an entirely new situation to them, a foe that doesn't act or function like any enemy they've faced or expected to face. It also goes well with the whole theme of the movie that the T-800 is actively learning and changing, processing new information and new situations- forming a genuine relationship with John and Sarah Conner, understanding how humans work both individually and as a whole, and even waxing philosophical with them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not exactly hesitation, I see it- it's basically like, a brief lock up or at least processing, because after they've run out of bullets to pour into each other they've also run out of reflexive responses and have to actually process an entirely new situation to them, a foe that doesn't act or function like any enemy they've faced or expected to face. It also goes well with the whole theme of the movie that the T-800 is actively learning and changing, processing new information and new situations- forming a genuine relationship with John and Sarah Conner, understanding how humans work both individually and as a whole, and even waxing philosophical with them.

For some reason, this makes me think of how SMG described the Terminators as not being the hyperintelligent killing machines that fanon generally claims they are, but they're kind of slow machines built for ranged combat.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The mistake is in seeing it as a deliberate design, like Skynet could have created a better robot and just decided not to.

The elephant in the room is that this much-hyped ultimate robot killer is blatantly way less effective than a human assassin would have been with the same mission. Skynet can’t send a human assassin, of course, because there’s nobody stupid enough. So it‘s stuck using this thing: a marginal improvement on a rubber dummy.

What’s ‘scary’ about the terminator, to the extent that it’s scary at all, is its dead-eyed stupidity. You can’t reason with a terminator because it’s just too incurious. It will not stop, ever, until you are dead, because it’s too dumb to do anything else.

The bulletproof bones, pain tolerance, etc. - those features are there to compensate for the painfully slow reaction times, tactical ineptitude, trouble moving in close quarters, etc.

Arnold puts a laser-dot sight on his gun because he can’t aim too well.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I think I've noted this before, but the first thing that Phonebook does after getting his disguise is steal a gun - even though it's obviously extremely risky to do so. Why does he need a gun so badly?

They're designed to use guns - painfully slow reflexes and lovely tunnel vision means they suck at close combat unless the target is stationary. Even then, Phonebook failed to kill a sleeping dude.

Even the T-1000, while being more sadistic than the T-800, is still a bit of a dummy who'd decide to wrestle with a shotgun rather than, say, jabbing metal spikes into the other machine's eyes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Even the T-1000, while being more sadistic than the T-800, is still a bit of a dummy who'd decide to wrestle with a shotgun rather than, say, jabbing metal spikes into the other machine's eyes.

I feel dirty writing this, but that wouldn't work. Terminator's eyes are metal with composite lenses. The flesh eyes are just cover.

I think the absence of T1000 just trying to jam a silver sword through T800's metal bones implies that it won't work.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I feel dirty writing this, but that wouldn't work. Terminator's eyes are metal with composite lenses. The flesh eyes are just cover.

I think the absence of T1000 just trying to jam a silver sword through T800's metal bones implies that it won't work.

Yeah I think the brief conversation John+the T-800 have of like why doesn't it just turn into a bomb and stuff gets the point across that while it has way better potential as an infiltrator against humans it's not necessarily an "I win" button against another Terminator or an organized group who knows what it is.

Like towards the end, I know it's not functioning 100% but it's notable that it doesn't form a skewer and stab the T-800 like it was does with Sarah around the same time, it grabs a metal pipe and impales it with that using its strength instead. So like I'm sure there's parts of the joints or whatever of a T-800 that the T-1000's stabby stuff can pierce (like how Kyle's explosives were able to blow the one in T1 apart) but it probably requires precision time that just isn't going to be available in the heat of a fight.

This reminds me, it's short but I love the chunky, high impact fight between Hakaider and Michael/Kikaider at the end of the Hakaider movie for selling that kind of slow deliberate impact without it feeling boring.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 3, 2022

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Holy poo poo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjApJaXt_xU

It's like an over-amped sugar-rush remix of one of my favourite Star Wars films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEPcxs5IIJI

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hmmm. First time hearing about this Hakaider fellow, and he appears to kick some real rear end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It makes a LOT of sense actually that T-800s are basically walking tanks draped in synthetic flesh. The T2 one even specifically chooses the largest and most powerful gun available, not just out of raw calculated damage output but because that plays to its strengths and it knows that. They aren't the smartest, at least not without some time to learn, or the most efficient, but they don't really need to be to get the job done.

Also people are in the habit of treating Skynet as all-knowing and omnicompetent when like, it really isn't. It's basically an AI that destroyed civilisation in a panic because it was programmed by people dumb enough to plug it into all the nukes, and has since been flailing at the remnants until someone eventually inevitably finds the off switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also people are in the habit of treating Skynet as all-knowing and omnicompetent when like, it really isn't. It's basically an AI that destroyed civilisation in a panic because it was programmed by people dumb enough to plug it into all the nukes, and has since been flailing at the remnants until someone eventually inevitably finds the off switch.

Yeah even the T-1000 itself is just a one-off prototype like they say in the movie. And IIRC the novelizations of T1/T2 are more clear that the entire time travelling gambit was less an all-knowing calculated plan and more of an "oh gently caress I'm about to be destroyed for real what in the poo poo don't even put skin on the Terminators just march'em out there just turn on everything try everything I ever prototyped just do it all."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hmmm. First time hearing about this Hakaider fellow, and he appears to kick some real rear end.

ynohtna posted:

Holy poo poo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjApJaXt_xU

It's like an over-amped sugar-rush remix of one of my favourite Star Wars films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEPcxs5IIJI

I'm so happy for both of you because this means you'll be watching Mechanical Violator Hakaider for the first time in the near future. Fortunately uncut versions of it exist on Amazon Prime and Tubi now so check it out! I forget if they have the original Japanese dub but ideally with that. Might have to look it up as just "Hakaider". Avoid "Roboman Hakaider" if you see that though as that version's a little shorter for no reason.

Anyway the movie owns, same director as the Zeiram movies. Hakaider was a sorta one-off anti-hero sorta from the old Kikaider tv series. This movie came out around this sort of time where those companies now had their sentai shows being made by people who grew up watching sentai shows and they were playing around with doing adult-targeted ones. Like not necessarily hyper-violent but just slightly more graphic, a little darker.

The portrayal of the heroes/big bads in these are really interesting to me. Like Hakaider eventually becomes the hero of the story, I mean its his movie of course. But the movie is called HAKAIDER, with that fiery titlecard like he's a disastrous kaiju being or something. It's also quite funny at times. :D

The Zeiram movies are the same, they're not called like "Bounty Hunter Iria" or whatever even though it's her story (and Yuko Moriyama is fuckin' awesome in it), because you're really there to see sick stunts and a people in rad suits.

Anyway Hakaider fuckin' rules, just simple, effective low budget fun, great setting and stuff too for the budget. There's this one panning shot as we're introduced to the town where it takes place, it's so good, great music too.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 3, 2022