Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
New video by Anders Puck Nielsen, about the mobilization and its goals. He thinks putin's goal is to try to end the war quicker with a surge™ but instead instead he's trying to simultaneously expand the scope outside of Donbas and so it's unlikely to work. Plus we can expect more pointless nuclear saber rattling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s136Dei3Sx8

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Latvian is relatively simple to explain - Latvian government is in charge of it.

The more serious answer is a bit more complicated, but there’s a good enough reason for the green light there. Latvian Inčukalns storage facility is the only natural gas storage facility in the Baltics, and it can hold about 25 TWh at full capacity. Baltics in total consume around 35 TWh on an average winter, Latvia specifically - around 15 Twh. However, this gas is shared between the 3 states, and the size of individual entitlements is not publicly known.

For this winter, Lithuania has prepared an LNG terminal with an annual import capacity of 40 TWh. However, as Baltics share their EU gas market aisle with Finland, that would still be not enough, which is why Lithuania and Poland did build a gas interconnect, so we can get gas from the rest of the Europe as well.

Considering that normally Inčukalns holds around 17 TWh at the start of the heating season, the situation is not great, but far from terrible.
:tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Latvian is relatively simple to explain - Latvian government is in charge of it.

The more serious answer is a bit more complicated, but there’s a good enough reason for the green light there. Latvian Inčukalns storage facility is the only natural gas storage facility in the Baltics, and it can hold about 25 TWh at full capacity. Baltics in total consume around 35 TWh on an average winter, Latvia specifically - around 15 Twh. However, this gas is shared between the 3 states, and the size of individual entitlements is not publicly known.

For this winter, Lithuania has prepared an LNG terminal with an annual import capacity of 40 TWh. However, as Baltics share their EU gas market aisle with Finland, that would still be not enough, which is why Lithuania and Poland did build a gas interconnect, so we can get gas from the rest of the Europe as well.

Considering that normally Inčukalns holds around 17 TWh at the start of the heating season, the situation is not great, but far from terrible.

Weren't there relatively recent news reports that LG will be unable to fulfill it's obligations, as it only has 0.3TWh stored, with an additional 1TWh reserved for undisclosed buyers?

https://zinas.tv3.lv/latvija/neka-personiga/gazes-vadu-infrastruktura-vairakkart-rezervetas-jaudas-nelaujot-iesuknet-dabasgazi-incukalna/

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Oh yeah. I don't consider those refugees 'Brave' for doing that. It is the 'neutral' thing. The thing that I go 'Yeah, I'd probably be trying to get out myself'

And I feel the 'neutral' thing of someone that's escaping an autocratic regime is 'Yeah, sure, absolutely' They don't deserve a medal or something. But they deserve our compassion as fellow humans.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
Countries have been receiving ukrainian refugees en masse since the war started. Mostly women and children. How can we ensure their safety when Russians with tourist visas start claiming their right to travel freely?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

Weren't there relatively recent news reports that LG will be unable to fulfill it's obligations, as it only has 0.3TWh stored, with an additional 1TWh reserved for undisclosed buyers?

https://zinas.tv3.lv/latvija/neka-personiga/gazes-vadu-infrastruktura-vairakkart-rezervetas-jaudas-nelaujot-iesuknet-dabasgazi-incukalna/

I somehow have entirely missed this, but skimming the article briefly, this does look a bit worse than I thought. Latvenergo did pump 4-5 TWh for the infrastructure and industry, when Latvijas Gāze did pump 0.3 TWh, out of 1.15 TWh the state ordered them to provision for heating homes. I have maybe skimmed the wrong parts from phone, but I don’t see anything about the 1 TWh reserved by LG for undisclosed buyers - not sure how that would work even, since I think they’ve lost the legal right to sell gas to anyone other than Latvian households. If it’s there, it’ll just get repossessed, I guess.

The big fuckup of the article to me is Conexus saying that there was 2 TWh worth of reserved capacity that ended up being used by no one.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MassiveSky posted:

Countries have been receiving ukrainian refugees en masse since the war started. Mostly women and children. How can we ensure their safety when Russians with tourist visas start claiming their right to travel freely?

Same as we make sure locals are not killing people on a lark.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MassiveSky posted:

Presumably using the same refugee-managing institutions that prevent violence and ensure security among all displaced populations, regardless of nationality. If it's the tourist visas in particular that are a problem, maybe some new refugee statuses should be defined for Russians fleeing the state, to encourage more of them to do that instead of joining the war.

There's been efforts to encourage Russian soldiers on the battlefield to surrender or defect, using leaflets or other communications to tell them how to do that. Everyone recognizes that it's the right thing to do in those cases to give people an option that doesn't force them into violence, if at all possible. Treating Russians escaping the regime as the enemy, either before they're forced into uniform or after, is deeply counter-productive and displaces the blame from where it truly belongs.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I somehow have entirely missed this, but skimming the article briefly, this does look a bit worse than I thought. Latvenergo did pump 4-5 TWh for the infrastructure and industry, when Latvijas Gāze did pump 0.3 TWh, out of 1.15 TWh the state ordered them to provision for heating homes. I have maybe skimmed the wrong parts from phone, but I don’t see anything about the 1 TWh reserved by LG for undisclosed buyers - not sure how that would work even, since I think they’ve lost the legal right to sell gas to anyone other than Latvian households. If it’s there, it’ll just get repossessed, I guess.

The big fuckup of the article to me is Conexus saying that there was 2 TWh worth of reserved capacity that ended up being used by no one.

It's in the article. LSM mentions it more explicitly here, including my favourite phrase in modern day Latvian - komercnoslēpums. The way I understand it, it was sold off well in advance. Another article claims that the state prosecutors have started an inquiry.

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/eko..._campaign=theme

Wrt Russian exiles at the borders, who is Katz/Кац? There's a couple of interesting Twitter threads that keep popping up that refute a podcast (?) of his, but I have no idea of who he is supposed to be.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Same as we make sure locals are not killing people on a lark.

Local "disappearing agents" aren't really a thing.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Putin made some mouthsounds today
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1575542673758625792?s=20&t=COk_hHqIs4frVR-4uImLoA
Including about the pipeline, finally. The Russians at the UN announced calling the security council meeting yesterday though
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1575543706329157633?s=20&t=COk_hHqIs4frVR-4uImLoA
Full recap, google translated

quote:

Telephone conversation with President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan
Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the Republic of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

September 29, 202220:40
The President of Turkey expressed condolences in connection with the tragic consequences of the terrorist act in the school of Izhevsk. After that, a meaningful conversation was held on various aspects of the development of bilateral cooperation and the situation around Ukraine.

In particular, the progressive dynamics of trade and economic ties, a significant increase in trade turnover were noted. A positive assessment was given to interaction in the energy sector - within the framework of the implementation of contracts for the supply of Russian natural gas to Turkey and the joint construction of the Akkuyu nuclear power plant. The interest in the practical implementation of the agreements reached at the meetings of the Presidents of Russia and Turkey in Sochi and Samarkand was emphasized .

Vladimir Putin reported on the results of the referendums held on September 23-27 in the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics, Kherson and Zaporozhye regions on joining the Russian Federation. :rolleyes:It was emphasized that the voting took place in conditions of transparency, in full compliance with the norms and principles of international law. :rolleyes: The inhabitants of these regions exercised their right to self-determination in accordance with the provisions of the UN Charter, the international covenants on human rights of 1966 and the Helsinki Final Act of 1975.

Appreciation was expressed for Turkey's contribution to the achievement of the Istanbul agreements on the export of grain from the Black Sea ports and the export of Russian agricultural products and fertilizers. At the same time, attention was drawn to the need to implement this package grain deal precisely in a complex, including the removal of barriers to the supply of food and fertilizers from Russia to world markets.

The President of Russia gave a fundamental assessment of the unprecedented sabotage, in fact, an act of international terrorism against the Nord Stream 1 and Nord Stream 2 gas pipelines. It was noted that Russia is bringing this issue up for urgent discussion in the UN Security Council.

It was agreed to continue the Russian-Turkish dialogue in various formats.

One line in a relatively long call summary. Interesting.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1575542673758625792?s=20&t=COk_hHqIs4frVR-4uImLoA
Including about the pipeline, finally. The Russians at the UN announced calling the security council meeting yesterday though
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1575543706329157633?s=20&t=COk_hHqIs4frVR-4uImLoA
Full recap, google translated

One line in a relatively long call summary. Interesting.

So his UN talk will be "If I did it", but honestly at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he just went with "Yes I did it and I'll do it again". Russia shot itself in the foot to show just how willing it is to shoot us in the foot.

Great timing too, with the annexation apparently going through tomorrow, Zelenskyy is calling for an emergency UNSC meeting. So we got 2 UN meetings where the entire planet will declare that Russia is committing hard crimes and Russia's response will be "nah I didn't do it, you did".

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

Is that from today? Maybe any Russian speakers ITT can weigh in on what else was said?

A bit more on the polling.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1575511609094586368?s=20&t=mV7lBLRB9WMSm0v6qXjeog

https://twitter.com/AndrKolesnikov/status/1575157742108811269?s=20&t=cq6JokBwSNSJXM8kNf_vJw

Hard to read this as anything other than Putin being extremely sensitive to signs of domestic pressure, right?

Btw I felt this was a very good article on how Russia uses state controlled surveys as well as the dynamics that drive the answers

"This spiral of under-representation and silence, which is strengthened by state propaganda and manipulative opinion surveys, is a blessing for autocrats. Overblown support demonstrated by surveys can be used as a tool to demonstrate broad support of the regime to the public and send a signal to the elite to prevent defection.

More importantly, surveys that inflate government support can be used to discipline citizens. Social psychologists demonstrate that people often use the responses of others to an issue as cues to form their own opinions. Previous research has demonstrated that Russian citizens’ attitudes towards the regime and its actions are, to a significant degree, driven by what they see as the prevailing consensus in society"

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/odr/russia-opinion-polls-war-ukraine/

Considering the biases at play here, the actual support for the war continuing has to be even more dire than these numbers indicate

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
While I don't agree with it I can see why Georgia is so against taking in thousands of Russian draft dodgers. When protecting Russians is used as a scapegoat to invade multiple countries including Georgia 15 years ago there are real national security questions involved in harbouring them. What if Russia demands them back under threat of force? Georgia is a poor country which probably doesn't have the facilities to hold refugees properly anyways.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Saladman posted:

Isn't that border often a shitshow in terms of delays, even besides the theoretical border draft? A friend of mine's dad is an Armenian trucker, and he spent like 7 days stuck in a border queue there, stuck outside of Vladikavkaz with a ton of other trucks, back in March on a return trip from Kharkiv to Yerevan. I don't remember the exact context, although I think I posted it at the time.

Yes, they often shut it down in winter/spring due to avalanches. Right now it is, of course, completely hosed due to sheer amount of people that this mountain pass cannot accomodate. In addition it is the only land border checkpoint with Russia so there is Georgian traffic, Armenian traffic and Turkish transit.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/shikast_/status/1574790169105924096

An issue with Russian refugees is they're very much colonialists: it's not like they're coming out of a vacuum, they've been trying to erase the local culture and language for centuries. The Baltics are struggling to integrate their Russian minorities and a big refugee community is likely to be very resistant to even learning the local language (with the benefit, of course, that they forced the locals previously to learn a lot of Russian).

A lot of post-Soviet states still have very weak national identities so it is a serious concern.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MassiveSky posted:

Local "disappearing agents" aren't really a thing.

So, you’re saying that police is not the appropriate institution for enforcing civic order among people recently arriving into a country - that presumably they can only deal with people who have lived there for an indeterminate amount of time. What makes you conclude so? Additionally, what form of institution would you thus be proposing for policing daily conduct of these arrivals?

a podcast for cats posted:

It's in the article. LSM mentions it more explicitly here, including my favourite phrase in modern day Latvian - komercnoslēpums. The way I understand it, it was sold off well in advance. Another article claims that the state prosecutors have started an inquiry.

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/eko..._campaign=theme

Wrt Russian exiles at the borders, who is Katz/Кац? There's a couple of interesting Twitter threads that keep popping up that refute a podcast (?) of his, but I have no idea of who he is supposed to be.

Oh, I see. I also found where that was in TV3 article, what a poo poo layout. Yeah, this looks like yet another classic public procurement fuckup, to join OIK and vaccines in the history books. Pretty sure it’s going to play out with the new government just nationalising everything after Providus does the math on their predicted ratings with heating off.

Maksim Kats is a former pro poker player and a Moscow municipal deputy (think if Imanta had its own duma). He’s a political swindler with links all over the spectrum - Navalnyi, Liksutov, Sobchak, doing both anti- and pro-vaccine videos, and so on. As far as non-obvious Russian political influencers go, this person is very high on my list of “hear them out only when there are no other options”.

PerilPastry posted:

Hard to read this as anything other than Putin being extremely sensitive to signs of domestic pressure, right?

Considering the biases at play here, the actual support for the war continuing has to be even more dire than these numbers indicate

Correct. Also, the referenced pollster is not state-controlled. Levada was classified as a “foreign agent” during the fallout from Crimea annexation.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Paladinus posted:

Even Latushka says that Lukashenko doesn't want to get involved in the war more than he is now. Allowing deployment of Russian soldiers in Belarus for another attack on Kyiv wouldn't be out of question, even if now the numbers being floated are up to 120k. Participation of Belarusian soldiers is a different matter and is less likely, although not as unlikely as three months ago.

I used to work with somebody from Belarus and he said most folks there knew the whole "there are Nazis in Ukraine" is complete and total nonsense, hence there's never really been much support for the invasion.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Many people also fled Russia right after the invasion started, but I think most returned within a month or two, because there is jackall a Russian can do in Europe without a job or other source of income, and tourist visa lasts only for 90 days anyway.

A lot of them already went to places like Georgia, Armenia and Turkey where Russians can live for extended times without a visa.

There's even a thing where the first wave of Russians who came in the first months of the war and have already settled a bit are annoyed by the new wave ruining things for them.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

A few reports that Yampil has been liberated. This town is to east of Lyman and is the only thing between Ukrainian forces and the Lyman > Zarichne road that's the only Russian lifeline to the city.

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1575567186906972160

https://twitter.com/IgorKar03352504/status/1575566238121852928

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

A few reports that Yampil has been liberated. This town is to east of Lyman and is the only thing between Ukrainian forces and the Lyman > Zarichne road that's the only Russian lifeline to the city.

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1575567186906972160

https://twitter.com/IgorKar03352504/status/1575566238121852928

:toot:

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1575487566551613442

So denazification seems to be going pretty well

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So, you’re saying that police is not the appropriate institution for enforcing civic order among people recently arriving into a country - that presumably they can only deal with people who have lived there for an indeterminate amount of time. What makes you conclude so? Additionally, what form of institution would you thus be proposing for policing daily conduct of these arrivals?

I'm saying that although it is probably the goon consensus to spend a gorillion dollars in the middle of a recession to vet every one of the new arrivals, it would wouldn't make any sense in a realpolitical fashion.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The dumbest treason. (Yes I know its not treason)

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1575563899503607823

Army doctor and crazy wife in the US, both originally from Russia, were so fired up about the special operation that they tried to figure out how they could help. They thought about enlisting in the Russian army but instead decided to reach out to what they thought was the Russian embassy to hand over important secrets.

Undercover FBI Agent: "So, what could you give us that would help Russia in this conflict?"

Dumb Traitors: "Well, we have access to some medical files for US military officers, that would be super helpful, right?"

FBI Agent: "......... sure, OK".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/waragainstputin/status/1575495378556059654

This dude is so high on speed it's no surprise he thinks NATO is already here

e: not supporting the use of the word "orc" here.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm wary of any source that mentions "orcs"

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Malcolm Nance cannot be stopped

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

You can rest assured then that it's a repost of a video from War Gonzo, which is a known GRU propaganda channel, so it evens out I suppose.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

socialsecurity posted:

Do you think they deepfaked a video with a russian propagandist or something?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rigel posted:

The dumbest treason. (Yes I know its not treason)

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1575563899503607823

Army doctor and crazy wife in the US, both originally from Russia, were so fired up about the special operation that they tried to figure out how they could help. They thought about enlisting in the Russian army but instead decided to reach out to what they thought was the Russian embassy to hand over important secrets.

Undercover FBI Agent: "So, what could you give us that would help Russia in this conflict?"

Dumb Traitors: "Well, we have access to some medical files for US military officers, that would be super helpful, right?"

FBI Agent: "......... sure, OK".

It's worst than that. The army doctor is being misgendered in a lot of media, she's actually the first publicly-out-and-serving trans person in the US military.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1575577211939131392

Nothing better than capturing an important strategic town and potentially a load of Russian PoWs in response to Putin's absurd annexation plans.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Do you think they deepfaked a video with a russian propagandist or something?

It's a video with a Russian propagandist (WarGonzo) but there's nothing deepfaked about it. (Does that even look remotely deepfaked? Cmon.)

Here's a screenshot from their telegram. I'm not going to link it as they don't deserve the traffic, but you can go see for yourself if you please.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Paladinus posted:

Even Latushka says that Lukashenko doesn't want to get involved in the war more than he is now. Allowing deployment of Russian soldiers in Belarus for another attack on Kyiv wouldn't be out of question, even if now the numbers being floated are up to 120k. Participation of Belarusian soldiers is a different matter and is less likely, although not as unlikely as three months ago.

I'm sceptical of how trustworthy the sources are on exact numbers, but just by hearing from people who work in railroads, there are definitely some preparations being made for something.

Im a bit late on this but where is russia getting these 120K soldiers? if they are the new draftees, they may as well shoot themselves before crossing because we saw that UAF Territorials did to their professional BTGs. What the gently caress will these draftees have that improves on that?

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

spankmeister posted:

Here's a screenshot from their telegram. I'm not going to link it as they don't deserve the traffic, but you can go see for yourself if you please.

on the other hand, if you do go to his telegram, he reports half an hour ago that AFU has broken through to Stavky, cutting off Drobycheve. https://t.me/wargonzo/8519

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Zhanism posted:

Im a bit late on this but where is russia getting these 120K soldiers? if they are the new draftees, they may as well shoot themselves before crossing because we saw that UAF Territorials did to their professional BTGs. What the gently caress will these draftees have that improves on that?

They're also dancing perilously close to the start of mud season (again).

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

They're also dancing perilously close to the start of mud season (again).

That would be perfect. Another invasion in mud season, but this time with untrained infantry vs HIMARS.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Young Freud posted:

It's worst than that. The army doctor is being misgendered in a lot of media, she's actually the first publicly-out-and-serving trans person in the US military.

I simply don't understand how a transperson could decide to commit treason in order to defect to Russia - a country with a regime openly using slurs like 'homonazi' without a hint of irony and which openly persecutes LGBT+ people. If the allegations of espionage/treason are true, then it's a mind-boggling display of cognitive dissonance to throw in one's lot with Russia. I mean seriously - look at which groups and people in the US are on team Putin. It's one thing to be so staunchly anti-west, anti-US, anti-capitalist, nihilist or whatever, that one prefers Kremlin to Washington. But the kind of mindworms required to commit treason (which comes with rather serious consequences if discovered) for a regime that openly wants to kill you? I honestly didn't think that kind of idiocy existed. Sorry for my rant. I'm just floored.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

PederP posted:

I simply don't understand how a transperson could decide to commit treason in order to defect to Russia - a country with a regime openly using slurs like 'homonazi' without a hint of irony and which openly persecutes LGBT+ people. If the allegations of espionage/treason are true, then it's a mind-boggling display of cognitive dissonance to throw in one's lot with Russia. I mean seriously - look at which groups and people in the US are on team Putin. It's one thing to be so staunchly anti-west, anti-US, anti-capitalist, nihilist or whatever, that one prefers Kremlin to Washington. But the kind of mindworms required to commit treason (which comes with rather serious consequences if discovered) for a regime that openly wants to kill you? I honestly didn't think that kind of idiocy existed. Sorry for my rant. I'm just floored.

It might help to know that her wife was apparently pushing for it very hard. The story said that the doctor was reluctant and scared of breaking the law. She had to talk her trans spouse into it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zhanism posted:

The implication is that it will either be the mobilised themselves, or the more experiences soldiers from other places far from the front line that the mobilised are supposed to replace. Again, I very much doubt that 120k is a real number. Even with some time to prepare, Belarus would hardly be able to accommodate that many. If anything, Russia might be moving the remaining contract soldiers from Belarus, swapping them with the newly mobilised ones, which is bound to result in some logistical headaches. Russia continues to pull people from the far East, from European borders, etc. to man the units that suffered severe losses at the front, and moving however many are still in Belarus makes the most sense to me.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

PerilPastry posted:

I don't read the response as Putin being weak to domestic pressure. I think the whole thing was setup from the start to give Putin plausible deniability and this follow up speech is exactly as planned to assuage fears.

You don't get over-zealous recruitment officers on the ground trying to round up people with health problems if they don't have an incentive structure in place to do so. You don't get lawmakers trying to downplay the scope of the mobilization before official announcement if the higher-ups weren't aware there would be backlash.

I'm reading this as mobilization going exactly as planned for Russia's manpower goals. To me the difference would be if there was an actual walk back on the recruitment process and letting people go back home after Putin's speech, but I'm not expecting that at all.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Paladinus posted:

The implication is that it will either be the mobilised themselves, or the more experiences soldiers from other places far from the front line that the mobilised are supposed to replace. Again, I very much doubt that 120k is a real number. Even with some time to prepare, Belarus would hardly be able to accommodate that many. If anything, Russia might be moving the remaining contract soldiers from Belarus, swapping them with the newly mobilised ones, which is bound to result in some logistical headaches. Russia continues to pull people from the far East, from European borders, etc. to man the units that suffered severe losses at the front, and moving however many are still in Belarus makes the most sense to me.

Mobilising all these untrained recruits as a last resort to avoid losing captured territory then blowing half of them in an extremely telegraphed attack from the north is so insane that I find it very difficult to believe. I think Russia is just loving with Ukraine, trying to get them to withdraw forces from the front to defend against something that'll never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MassiveSky posted:

I'm saying that although it is probably the goon consensus to spend a gorillion dollars in the middle of a recession to vet every one of the new arrivals, it would wouldn't make any sense in a realpolitical fashion.

Why would you be vetting them? Who proposed that?! The original complaint for this conversation was that the allegation that Russian refugees would harass Ukrainian refugees, to which end I want to hear from you what magical super power do Russian refugees have that makes them immune to regular police and courts?

spankmeister posted:

https://twitter.com/waragainstputin/status/1575495378556059654

This dude is so high on speed it's no surprise he thinks NATO is already here

e: not supporting the use of the word "orc" here.

This is a really bad post, and I would’ve much preferred seeing a direct link to WarGonzo there.