Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rigel posted:

The dumbest treason. (Yes I know its not treason)

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1575563899503607823

Army doctor and crazy wife in the US, both originally from Russia, were so fired up about the special operation that they tried to figure out how they could help. They thought about enlisting in the Russian army but instead decided to reach out to what they thought was the Russian embassy to hand over important secrets.

Undercover FBI Agent: "So, what could you give us that would help Russia in this conflict?"

Dumb Traitors: "Well, we have access to some medical files for US military officers, that would be super helpful, right?"

FBI Agent: "......... sure, OK".

So they go to jail for espionage and HIPAA violations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

PederP posted:

I simply don't understand how a transperson could decide to commit treason in order to defect to Russia - a country with a regime openly using slurs like 'homonazi' without a hint of irony and which openly persecutes LGBT+ people. If the allegations of espionage/treason are true, then it's a mind-boggling display of cognitive dissonance to throw in one's lot with Russia. I mean seriously - look at which groups and people in the US are on team Putin. It's one thing to be so staunchly anti-west, anti-US, anti-capitalist, nihilist or whatever, that one prefers Kremlin to Washington. But the kind of mindworms required to commit treason (which comes with rather serious consequences if discovered) for a regime that openly wants to kill you? I honestly didn't think that kind of idiocy existed. Sorry for my rant. I'm just floored.

Despite the weird quotes about patriotism to Russia, I imagine it was simply about the money. If not, Russian propaganda is multifaceted and self-contradictory, but strives to cover every possible position on every issue. BLM protests are a testament to the institutional racism in America (unlike in the enlightened post-Soviet multicultural Russia where all ethnicities live in peace), but at the same time it's about lazy blacks who just want to steal sneakers from burning malls (unlike in the glorious rah-rah Russian Russia, where migrant workers from Tajikistan and other non-whites know their place). I imagine there is something for trans people, too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

It's a video with a Russian propagandist (WarGonzo) but there's nothing deepfaked about it. (Does that even look remotely deepfaked? Cmon.)

Here's a screenshot from their telegram. I'm not going to link it as they don't deserve the traffic, but you can go see for yourself if you please.

You might be misinterpreting my post, I was just surprised that someone would be wary of the source just because they used "orcs" when it's clear that it's a direct repost of a video from the russians.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
On the topic of how Russians running from the mobilisation are treated in other countries. You probably see a lot of vitriol about this on twitter, because, well, it's twitter. Even in Georgia, there are Georgian volunteers who meet Russians at the border, distribute food, help them with finding a place to live, etc. Sarcastic memes on twitter and occasionally being pestered by random local vloggers are just one side of the issue, and from what I can gather, overall Russians are not met there with overwhelming hostility. If someone is dumb enough to wear a Z on their coat, yeah, they might get a stern talking to or worse, but if you're just a regular person the worst you'll get is people complaining about skyrocketing rent prices because of the influx of Russians with money.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

You might be misinterpreting my post, I was just surprised that someone would be wary of the source just because they used "orcs" when it's clear that it's a direct repost of a video from the russians.

My bad, sorry for misreading your post.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I remember early lectures from Snyder's history class were posted here a couple weeks ago. Lectures up to #7 have been recorded and posted by now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMpkBOTCgCM

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

PederP posted:

I simply don't understand how a transperson could decide to commit treason in order to defect to Russia - a country with a regime openly using slurs like 'homonazi' without a hint of irony and which openly persecutes LGBT+ people. If the allegations of espionage/treason are true, then it's a mind-boggling display of cognitive dissonance to throw in one's lot with Russia. I mean seriously - look at which groups and people in the US are on team Putin. It's one thing to be so staunchly anti-west, anti-US, anti-capitalist, nihilist or whatever, that one prefers Kremlin to Washington. But the kind of mindworms required to commit treason (which comes with rather serious consequences if discovered) for a regime that openly wants to kill you? I honestly didn't think that kind of idiocy existed. Sorry for my rant. I'm just floored.

I mean tankies exist despite Russia standing in opposition to pretty much every single left wing political position.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

My bad, sorry for misreading your post.
Np!

gay picnic defence posted:

I mean tankies exist despite Russia standing in opposition to pretty much every single left wing political position.

Yeah, plus aren't they literally russian? That could also explain a thing or two.

Fuschia tude posted:

I remember early lectures from Snyder's history class were posted here a couple weeks ago. Lectures up to #7 have been recorded and posted by now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMpkBOTCgCM

Great, thanks for the reminder :)

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The Russian 20th Guards Combined Army is a bit shite.

https://t.me/s/dolgarevaanna

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

They're also dancing perilously close to the start of mud season (again).

At this point Russia might be the primary beneficiary from muddy conditions. They aren't making meaningful advances anywhere and they need all the help they can get to slow down the Ukrainian advance up north while they (presumably) train and integrate their mobilized conscripts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Young Freud posted:

It's worst than that. The army doctor is being misgendered in a lot of media, she's actually the first publicly-out-and-serving trans person in the US military.

This appears to have its root in her being misgendered in the indictment, which is the sole document that most outlets are relying on. The indictment appears to indicate that the US learned of the pair's plans because they had access to Anna Gabrielian's attempted communication to the Russian embassy trying to offer to help as a spy.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Chalks posted:

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1575577211939131392

Nothing better than capturing an important strategic town and potentially a load of Russian PoWs in response to Putin's absurd annexation plans.

I'd just like to reiterate how bizarre it is that Ukraine is on the verge of outright pocketing Russia troops and everyone accepts it like it ain't no thing when only a few months ago there were dark mutterings about the possibility of the entire Ukrainian JFO getting encircled in a grand flanking maneuver in Donbass. Hell, I still remember myself when everything kicked off I was one of those who thought the Ukrainian Armed Forces would fall eventually but be able to put up a hell insurgency on an unprecedented scale during occupation, and now we're looking at the Ukrainians almost casually dismantling the Russian Army.

I say "almost" because they're making it look easy and going to an effort to make it look easy but of course I'm perfectly aware that a lot of hard training, preparation, and planning went into this kind of success and it's not something anyone can do. But still, Christ, talk about a turnaround.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1575598782338965504

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

This appears to have its root in her being misgendered in the indictment, which is the sole document that most outlets are relying on. The indictment appears to indicate that the US learned of the pair's plans because they had access to Anna Gabrielian's attempted communication to the Russian embassy trying to offer to help as a spy.

The CNBC article is a lot better in talking about Henry's background,
although I saw an early draft that explained the difference in the indictment and how they were reporting it. https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1575510389210718210?t=N1NVFvotXKv4UEKULCp1rw&s=19

I'm not trying to "cancel" CNN or any other news outlet, but having "first transgender active-duty officer" turn traitor feels like something the chuds will be jumping on, considering how widely trans people are in the military and the defense industry.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Maybe they should’ve thought of that before traitoring

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Vox Nihili posted:

At this point Russia might be the primary beneficiary from muddy conditions. They aren't making meaningful advances anywhere and they need all the help they can get to slow down the Ukrainian advance up north while they (presumably) train and integrate their mobilized conscripts.

Yes. The mud helps the defender since everyone’s forced onto narrow well-mapped predictable routes which is currently Russia (lol)

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Tiny Timbs posted:

????????????

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

The CNBC article is a lot better in talking about Henry's background,
although I saw an early draft that explained the difference in the indictment and how they were reporting it. https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1575510389210718210?t=N1NVFvotXKv4UEKULCp1rw&s=19

I'm not trying to "cancel" CNN or any other news outlet, but having "first transgender active-duty officer" turn traitor feels like something the chuds will be jumping on, considering how widely trans people are in the military and the defense industry.

quote:

Gabrielian allegedly told the agent that Henry “was currently a more important source for Russia than she was, since Henry had more helpful information, including on how the U.S. military establishes an army hospital in war conditions, and about previous training the U.S. military provided to Ukrainian military personnel.”

When Gabrielian and Henry jointly met with the agent at the hotel on the night of Aug. 17, the indictment said, “Henry explained to the [undercover agent that they were] committed to assisting Russia, and he had looked into volunteering to join the Russian Army after the conflict in Ukraine began, but Russia wanted people with ‘combat experience,’ and he did not have any.”

“Henry further stated: ‘the way I am viewing what is going on in Ukraine now, is that the United States is using Ukrainians as a proxy for their own hatred toward Russia,’” the charging document alleges.
Lol there we go, now let's do all the other morons

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Isn't it strange that it's just Zaporizhzhya and Cherson, and not Luhansk and Donetsk, or am I reading too much into this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Isn't it strange that it's just Zaporizhzhya and Cherson, and not Luhansk and Donetsk, or am I reading too much into this.

Presumably Russia already recognized those breakaway regions years ago, probably circa 2014

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

spankmeister posted:

Those little shams have already had their "independence recognized".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Presumably Russia already recognized those breakaway regions years ago, probably circa 2014

IIRC, they "recognized" all of Donetsk and Luhansk in 2014, not just the "people's republic" regions they occupied, too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ah I see, so this brings Cherson and Zaporizhzhya in line with the other two in the eyes of Russia, so now all 4 can be annexed. Thanks for explaining!

It's kind of funny that Russia does all this blatantly illegal poo poo but all the legal and bureaucratic rituals must still be performed or else it won't "count".

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Young Freud posted:

IIRC, they "recognized" all of Donetsk and Luhansk in 2014, not just the "people's republic" regions they occupied, too.

Technically, Russia recognized LNR and DNR 21.02.2022.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Tomn posted:

I say "almost" because they're making it look easy and going to an effort to make it look easy but of course I'm perfectly aware that a lot of hard training, preparation, and planning went into this kind of success and it's not something anyone can do. But still, Christ, talk about a turnaround.

They're still taking heavy losses for their gains - despite the exuberance I really don't think Ukraine is anywhere near out of the woods; except to say it seems nearly a given Ukraine in its entirety won't be puppeted by Russia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

Excuse me?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Capri Sunrise posted:

They're still taking heavy losses for their gains - despite the exuberance I really don't think Ukraine is anywhere near out of the woods; except to say it seems nearly a given Ukraine in its entirety won't be puppeted by Russia.

It will be a literal hell of a winter, they'll probably dig in somewhere and hold until March. Which won't be a cakewalk because as much as the US and EU are bankrolling their military and economy, those countries have their own major issues right now so things could get tight.

However, there are thousands of Ukrainian troops receiving waaaayyyyy better training abroad, and as soon as they're trained, equipped, and the weather warms up again, I don't see Russia lasting very long in 2023. With the giant routs Ukraine has been causing already, it looks like all of Ukraine is in fact in the cards to reclaim. Russia's mobilization is more likely to speed up their defeat than help them hold ground. And just imagine how much quicker this war would go if even a small amount of M1 Abrams are forked over.

Unless of course Putin does go full mad after his annexation tomorrow, in which case no one knows what next week holds. Every news story today about annexation has immediately followed with Nuke chat. Mobilization was supposed to be Putin's main option to avoid that question, but it's caused more internal damage than literally anything else in the last 20 years in less than a week.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
edit: oops, wrong thread, wrong forum, sorry

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 30, 2022

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

I don't think you meant that for here.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1575570319104184321

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Young Freud posted:

having "first transgender active-duty officer" turn traitor feels like something the chuds will be jumping on, considering how widely trans people are in the military and the defense industry.

Yeah, already seen the usually suspects comment about it on twitter. Won't bother link as it's all literally just "well of course a Trans person would be traitor" stuff over and over, just written slightly differently each time.

Orthanc6 posted:

It will be a literal hell of a winter, they'll probably dig in somewhere and hold until March. Which won't be a cakewalk because as much as the US and EU are bankrolling their military and economy, those countries have their own major issues right now so things could get tight.

Does seem like the Ukrainian army is getting given -i assume quality- winter weather gear, where as the Russian army is giving is troops the middle finger as far as equipment go. I would imagine that could also make a differences over what exactly each side is capable of doing during the winter months.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bad phrasing. I don’t think them being trans is relevant to the reporting and they certainly shouldn’t be misgendered or catch any negative attention over their identity. They’re not a bad example for trans people, they’re a bad example for the service because they used their position to commit a heinous breach of trust and a crime against the country.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

Is that from today? Maybe any Russian speakers ITT can weigh in on what else was said?

A bit more on the polling.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1575511609094586368?s=20&t=mV7lBLRB9WMSm0v6qXjeog

https://twitter.com/AndrKolesnikov/status/1575157742108811269?s=20&t=cq6JokBwSNSJXM8kNf_vJw

Hard to read this as anything other than Putin being extremely sensitive to signs of domestic pressure, right?

Btw I felt this was a very good article on how Russia uses state controlled surveys as well as the dynamics that drive the answers

"This spiral of under-representation and silence, which is strengthened by state propaganda and manipulative opinion surveys, is a blessing for autocrats. Overblown support demonstrated by surveys can be used as a tool to demonstrate broad support of the regime to the public and send a signal to the elite to prevent defection.

More importantly, surveys that inflate government support can be used to discipline citizens. Social psychologists demonstrate that people often use the responses of others to an issue as cues to form their own opinions. Previous research has demonstrated that Russian citizens’ attitudes towards the regime and its actions are, to a significant degree, driven by what they see as the prevailing consensus in society"

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/odr/russia-opinion-polls-war-ukraine/

Considering the biases at play here, the actual support for the war continuing has to be even more dire than these numbers indicate

It's not good. Democratic leaders and totalitarian dictators can end wars, but authoritarian ones that are still subject to public pressure find it much more difficult and are much more likely to escalate.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/a...id=CRMNYR012019

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

sniper4625 posted:

I don't think you meant that for here.
absolutely didn't, thanks

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's not good. Democratic leaders and totalitarian dictators can end wars, but authoritarian ones that are still subject to public pressure find it much more difficult and are much more likely to escalate.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/a...id=CRMNYR012019

I think the opposite is likely to be true here, with public opposition and fear of political destabilization likely to constrain the government's will to escalate. For example, if they were originally thinking of conscripting 1.2 million men, I doubt they still are now after the chaos of the first mobilization. If mass casualties of poorly trained conscript soldiers further undermines support for Putin then I think we will see more hesitation to deploy them so carelessly. And so on.

At every stage of this war political convenience has trumped military or strategic concerns, so even if Putin's calculus points towards to escalation, I think he is likely to dither and look for short term solutions as long as public support remains lukewarm.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

dr_rat posted:

Does seem like the Ukrainian army is getting given -i assume quality- winter weather gear, where as the Russian army is giving is troops the middle finger as far as equipment go. I would imagine that could also make a differences over what exactly each side is capable of doing during the winter months.
Canada and Finland have already committed to supply half of Ukraine’s request for winter gear.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1575630527016542209

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Really makes you wonder why they didn't withdraw while they had the chance. "Because Putin said so" has got to be the only reason, right?

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Really makes you wonder why they didn't withdraw while they had the chance. "Because Putin said so" has got to be the only reason, right?

Twitter says they had orders to hold at all costs. Since being pocketed with a bunch of equipment doesn't make a lot of tactical sense, probably that came from Putin, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

if it collapses tonight or the day of putins sham absorbsition. i am curious how badly putin will take it. i am sure the uber nationalists won't take it well judging by the telegram bursts.