Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

PokeJoe posted:

Xpost I built a cold frame and it rules

looks sharp af!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This is fairly intimidating.

Darkside543
Nov 27, 2007

That Old Ganon posted:

This is fairly intimidating.

I mean I would agree. I only have myself to blame, i missed a couple days of trimming and it too the opportunity to get crazy haha. That is from the seeds of a SS100 plant we go last year from walmart in the clearence section that had 4 matoes, and a few good leaves and was like 6 inches high. Look haha

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Any idea what specific type of rear end in a top hat ruined half of my habaneros?

At first glance I thought it was corking, and I guess it could be, but the few I checked in more detail all seemed to have a similar worm hole on them. It's specific to the habaneros, and only the ripe ones (although maybe the unripe ones have some immature larvae lurking inside them or something). The only other C. chinense variety I have that's producing right now is ghost peppers, and those are all fine, even the ripe ones. But from what I understand those aren't pure C. chinense - not sure if that makes a difference as far as pest preferences.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That looks like a bird or a bug made a hole and then it got infected and started to rot. Or maybe a bacterial spot that spread inside and it started to rot. Definitely not corking.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Yeah, I definitely think it's some kind of bug damage. It was like 30 peppers though :cry:. As long as it doesn't happen to the rest of the peppers I'll live. Just trying to decide if I should drench them in BT or something to knock out any remaining assholes.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JoshGuitar posted:

Yeah, I definitely think it's some kind of bug damage. It was like 30 peppers though :cry:. As long as it doesn't happen to the rest of the peppers I'll live. Just trying to decide if I should drench them in BT or something to knock out any remaining assholes.

I'd also use a fungicide if you have any around that can be used while the plants are fruiting. I doubt it's a bug that BT will knock out (neem oil instead maybe?), and I lose a few to holes like that every season. If you see others with little holes you're probably best served by taking them off the plants before they start spreading it all over what's left in one piece.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My habaneros are still green I hope they get their act together and change color.

Darkside543
Nov 27, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

My habaneros are still green I hope they get their act together and change color.

Same, high temps are now in the low 70's with lows in the 50's

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Shifty Nipples posted:

Darkside543 posted:

Same, high temps are now in the low 70's with lows in the 50's

Are there any good ways of putting plants that have been in ground into pots? I've got a few super-hot peppers that have been in ground since May, grew very slowly, are still small and are just now starting to produce anything, with high temps barely breaking 60 degrees F. I'd hate to lose them now.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have a Habañada plant that's now starting to bud, but I think it's outgrown its current pot. Would it be a bad idea to repot it just as it's starting to flower?

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Meaty Ore posted:

Are there any good ways of putting plants that have been in ground into pots? I've got a few super-hot peppers that have been in ground since May, grew very slowly, are still small and are just now starting to produce anything, with high temps barely breaking 60 degrees F. I'd hate to lose them now.

I've never successfully overwintered a pepper plant, but Pepper Geek has a pretty good video that goes into some steps I never tried before. So hopefully this winter I'll finally manage to save a few:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wo3bwp5uQA

There are a few related videos on that channel too - common questions, a follow-up where he takes them out of hibernation, etc.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

JoshGuitar posted:

I've never successfully overwintered a pepper plant, but Pepper Geek has a pretty good video that goes into some steps I never tried before. So hopefully this winter I'll finally manage to save a few:

There are a few related videos on that channel too - common questions, a follow-up where he takes them out of hibernation, etc.

Overwintering is quite a bit different though than trying to move a plant from the ground to a pot while peppers are ripening though. I don't think it's possible, frankly, because it's likely to shock the plant. I'm with you though Meaty Ore, my peppers have set a poo poo ton of fruit and overnight temps are rapidly drifting into the 40s so I don't know if I'll get my last big harvest in before they die off.

Pumpkins are having a time though.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

JoshGuitar posted:

Thanks, I might have to try this! I've got a ghost with one fruit, a carolina reaper also with one fruit, and a trinidad scorpion with no fruits but which otherwise looks the healthiest of the three plants. Even if they don't survive the whole winter, I'd like to try and get something out of them.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Meaty Ore posted:

Thanks, I might have to try this! I've got a ghost with one fruit, a carolina reaper also with one fruit, and a trinidad scorpion with no fruits but which otherwise looks the healthiest of the three plants. Even if they don't survive the whole winter, I'd like to try and get something out of them.

You're welcome, although as Chad Doingitington mentioned, this doesn't really work for continuing this season's growth/production. It should get you a nice head start next spring though.

Reapers take forever. Last year I think I got 2 ripe peppers out of 2 plants. This year I planned on starting my superhot seeds on New Year's Day, but life got in the way. There's always next year.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

JoshGuitar posted:

You're welcome, although as Chad Doingitington mentioned, this doesn't really work for continuing this season's growth/production. It should get you a nice head start next spring though.

Reapers take forever. Last year I think I got 2 ripe peppers out of 2 plants, and I started seeds in I think early February. This year I planned on starting my superhot seeds on New Year's Day, but life got in the way. There's always next year.

Quote != edit :saddowns:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

JoshGuitar posted:

Reapers take forever. Last year I think I got 2 ripe peppers out of 2 plants. This year I planned on starting my superhot seeds on New Year's Day, but life got in the way. There's always next year.

The real "trick" with superhots is to start them as early as possible inside. Even in NC I have a hard time with season length some years and those little shits are so, so, so slow.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

The real "trick" with superhots is to start them as early as possible inside. Even in NC I have a hard time with season length some years and those little shits are so, so, so slow.

The other trick is having adequate lighting for them. It's a lot more than tomatoes and greens need, and keeping them warm while in the seedling stage is also really important. So if you have them in a cooler house, try to insulate their space a bit to give them a better head start. They will slowly grow at 65, but they will absolutely get big fast at 75. I run a seed heating mat and take extra care with watering until they get to 6" tall and are in 4" pots. Even then I'm likely to keep the heating mat on until about two weeks before I put them out to harden off.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

mischief posted:

The real "trick" with superhots is to start them as early as possible inside.

Is there a risk that superhots from your garden can cross with your neighbor's bells and ruin their day?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

A Bad King posted:

Is there a risk that superhots from your garden can cross with your neighbor's bells and ruin their day?

Only if they’re saving seeds for next year, but that’s not a reason for you to not grow them. There are methods that should be followed to keep crossing from happening if you’re seed saving and that’s on them.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Are unripe habaneros edible/palatable or will it all be for nothing if they don't hurry the hell up and ripen?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shifty Nipples posted:

Are unripe habaneros edible/palatable or will it all be for nothing if they don't hurry the hell up and ripen?

yeah they're still good. also if they've progressed far enough they might ripen off the bush, but i like em as they are

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Unripe habs pickle really well.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

eke out posted:

yeah they're still good. also if they've progressed far enough they might ripen off the bush, but i like em as they are

SubG posted:

Unripe habs pickle really well.

Awesome thank you

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

A Bad King posted:

Like Jhet said, not really.

It would be hilarious though.

Jhet posted:

The other trick is having adequate lighting for them. It's a lot more than tomatoes and greens need, and keeping them warm while in the seedling stage is also really important. So if you have them in a cooler house, try to insulate their space a bit to give them a better head start. They will slowly grow at 65, but they will absolutely get big fast at 75. I run a seed heating mat and take extra care with watering until they get to 6" tall and are in 4" pots. Even then I'm likely to keep the heating mat on until about two weeks before I put them out to harden off.

Heat mats on a thermostat, consistent watering, and good light as early as you can get them in dirt is the key. Every year we do crazy hot peppers we end up with either part of the garage or the kitchen taken over by seed mats and racks and lights. The more work you put in early the more you'll get late. Once most of the superhots I've grown really hit their stride they will explode with peppers right up until they get the slightest sniff of frost. It's been fun in NC the last few years as we'll get a snap or two but no real winter weather in my area, a lot of my local friends are keeping tomatoes going well into November with hoop houses.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Any recommendations on what veggies to plant as we move into winter? I'm in zone 8a, and use raised beds.
Tried to read up online and it says spinach and lettuces can grow, but I have trouble believing that.

Or should I just cover the beds in mulch and come back next year?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Any recommendations on what veggies to plant as we move into winter? I'm in zone 8a, and use raised beds.
Tried to read up online and it says spinach and lettuces can grow, but I have trouble believing that.

Greens will grow until it gets too dark and cold. Hearty winter greens will grow while there's sun and then stay fresh and edible in the garden for you to pick when it's cold and dark. They don't really do much growing until March by me, but I'm far north and have long shadows from a fence for about 4 months a year. I don't know what 8a you're in, but it's pretty late for me in the PNW to start a fall garden, but if you're in southern state 8a you have a little bit more daylight hours and there's nothing stopping you from trying. I'd find starts at this point, but if you can find kale, mustard greens, watercress, or plants like that, you can have a winter garden for sure. Fast growing lettuce might work too if you have enough warm weather and sun hours.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Garlic?

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Shifty Nipples posted:

Oh indeed they are, as others have said they pickle well. They don't have the real fruity aroma that ripe peppers do, but if you're worried about losing them to cold weather or pests, go ahead and pick them.

I also had some worm damage on a few of my habaneros, but fortunately whatever was doing it is being eaten by other bugs/lizards. Wish I could say the same for my pole beans. At one point there was so much foliage that it covered a ten square meter area I have set up with posts/crossbeams between two raised beds. Just when they started to flower, something started eating the vines and now they're completely hosed. I literally got a single ripe bean off of them. Still can't find the culprit, but whatever it is is big enough to avoid the common predators but light enough to access the tips of the vines.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I always try to plant (or let the last of the spring crop bolt and self-sow) a fall/winter crop of greens. Bok choy seems to do well—literally the largest bok choy I have ever seen anywhere was a few self-sown off-season plants last year. Gai lan is the one that seems to be the flakiest, but it has a reputation for being temperamental anyway.

Alliums will grow all year, and I always like to have some in the ground at all time, rotating between a "for harvest" crop and a "for bolting" crop so I get scapes every season. It also means you always have fresh onion/garlic greens available any time you want 'em. Bunching onions will also happily self-propagate with little or no tending, so if you've got a bare patch they're a pretty much fire and forget way of filling it.

Fava beans are also a perfect winter crop; they're good for ground cover even if you're not planning on harvesting them.

In 8a you should also have no trouble with a fall planting of peas, another crop that really wants cooler weather. And don't sleep on pea greens, which are amazing and you really aren't likely to get unless you grow them because they don't keep for poo poo.

You probably missed your window for planting beets for winter, but next year keep them in mind if you're into beets.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Great suggestions thank you both!

Plenty of sun where my garden is, especially when the leaves fall off the surrounding trees. The only concern is that we sometimes get some 0 degree or colder snaps when we get in Dec/Jan. I tried garlic, peas and some greens this spring/summer but they were the favorites of field mice and were the first to go. I think I have that problem under control now. Glad I can give them another try this year.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Greens are always nice and relatively painless to grow.

Gai'lan is one of those plants like cilantro for me personally, absolutely worth paying for. Never had luck with either and I love them both.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

mischief posted:

Greens are always nice and relatively painless to grow.

Gai'lan is one of those plants like cilantro for me personally, absolutely worth paying for. Never had luck with either and I love them both.

You know what's worse? I have actually grown gai lan successfully once. So I know it's possible but every other time it's been a disaster. I can grow collards, mustard greens and turnip (greens, anyway too much clay for much in the way of root vegetables here) but gai lan? Nope.

I also can't grow cilantro without having it bolt immediately, but I don't care that much because when it goes to seed you can have the best ground coriander you've ever tasted. Also, I have learned that I can grow culantro which I think is sometimes called Vietnamese cilantro? It actually self-seeds all over my garden now. It's a good bit more pungent than cilantro but if you just use a little less it's a pretty good substitute.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So I'll have a bunch of yard waste at the end of the season, in this case a bunch of native aster plants and some old raspberry/blackberry canes. What kind of machine can handle that? Do I need something more like a wood chipper, or would that kind of stuff be light enough for a leaf mulcher?

It would be nice to at least break it down a bit so I spend less on tossing it, or possibly compost it (not sure if I can kill off all the seeds though).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rojay posted:

You know what's worse? I have actually grown gai lan successfully once. So I know it's possible but every other time it's been a disaster. I can grow collards, mustard greens and turnip (greens, anyway too much clay for much in the way of root vegetables here) but gai lan? Nope.

I also can't grow cilantro without having it bolt immediately, but I don't care that much because when it goes to seed you can have the best ground coriander you've ever tasted. Also, I have learned that I can grow culantro which I think is sometimes called Vietnamese cilantro? It actually self-seeds all over my garden now. It's a good bit more pungent than cilantro but if you just use a little less it's a pretty good substitute.

I'm 1 for 4 successfully growing gailan myself. It's not worth the space in the garden for me when I can just go buy a big bag of the stuff for like $6 and it tastes better than the stuff I grow. I've been growing what was labeled Leisure Cilantro which is a Chinese variety of it and it bolts fast once summer arrives and leaves plenty of seed. I tried putting it in mostly shade once the season turns, but it's the heat. Culantro is really good too, it's what I pick up when I'm buying the gailan in big bags.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PokeJoe posted:

Xpost I built a cold frame and it rules

This looks great, nice work!

If you ever feel like upgrading it even further, adding some heat mats or weaving a long soil heating cable through the slats of the shelves will turn that into a hotbed. Absolute monster when it comes to early germination of plants.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

we may need major septic system work
drat it.

Ugh, septic tank projects can be nightmares. Seriously, good luck and hope it goes smoothly.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Winged beans have been doing amazing for me this year. I've grown them a few times in the past with "okay" but this year it has been great. I got a decent harvest around early August then a whole bunch early September and it has been nonstop since. I think it might now finally be reaching the end.

One vine also managed to find its way inside through a tiny gap in the window and now more beans are growing from that.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it okay to apply fertilizer over mulch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Shelving this shitshow for the season. Feels really wasteful, but nothing is going to ripen anymore in this weather, anything with any color will split in the rain and any ok looking tomato I've had earlier was grossly viviparous af, due to nutrient deficiencies presumably. All of it tasted like bags of water. Last year it was fungus. I'm not sure I think this is fun anymore.