Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There is almost nothing back home worth saving to them. Dominicus is capital D Dead and a breeding ground for malicious evil that kills even more planets. Whats a few million necromantic asses compared to trillions in the greater galaxy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

sebmojo posted:

She just really likes hot sauce

https://twitter.com/ellieight_/status/1575964618081521664

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

There is almost nothing back home worth saving to them. Dominicus is capital D Dead and a breeding ground for malicious evil that kills even more planets. Whats a few million necromantic asses compared to trillions in the greater galaxy?

Honestly if you're at the point where you're weighing the value of genocides you've kind of gotten off track.

The series doesn't seem like a "we must overthrow the evil sorcerer no matter the cost" so much as "how can we fix/mitigate this one guy's really bad decision?"

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Everyone posted:

Honestly if you're at the point where you're weighing the value of genocides you've kind of gotten off track.

The series doesn't seem like a "we must overthrow the evil sorcerer no matter the cost" so much as "how can we fix/mitigate this one guy's really bad decision?"

Plus for some people an element of, "Sure the cost is terrible but he hurt me personally so gently caress it," that I got out of the Lyctors realizing there could've been a better lyctorhood where they didn't destroy their best beloved, among other issues they have with Jod. Or at least that's how I read certain motivations in HtN, though it's been a while.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Yeah I don't get the sense that any of the Lyctors' beefs with Jod are anything more than personal conflicts of people living together for 10000 years with everyone else in their lives dying like mayflies.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Lyctors are basically gods who have been living together for 10,000 years and loving hate each other. Harrow and Ianthe are the first people to join their group in that long and they’re both maladjusted weirdos. Nobody here is thinking straight.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Danhenge posted:

Yeah I don't get the sense that any of the Lyctors' beefs with Jod are anything more than personal conflicts of people living together for 10000 years with everyone else in their lives dying like mayflies.

Basically, it seemed like while Augustine and Mercymorn had never fully gotten over what they did to become Lyctors, a lot of it, especially from Mercymorn seemed like sheer accumulated irritation. "He ate peanuts at a military briefing. Again. He must die and if that murders millions of others, that is a price I'm willing to pay because John is just that annoying!"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Didn't they mention that they actually had a larger plan that involved evacuating the Houses, and Mercymorn jumped the gun as a result of a combination of shocking revelations and getting the best shot she was likely to get in a thousand years?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rand Brittain posted:

Didn't they mention that they actually had a larger plan that involved evacuating the Houses, and Mercymorn jumped the gun as a result of a combination of shocking revelations and getting the best shot she was likely to get in a thousand years?

They did, but I kind of got the impression that the evacuation "plan" was more to make themselves feel better than something they were actually going to do.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah. How long had they been plotting? I couldn't quite figure that out...

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

silvergoose posted:

Yeah. How long had they been plotting? I couldn't quite figure that out...

A goodly long time but nothing really specific. According to John in HtN Mercy must have trained for "thousands of years" to do the thing that temporarily killed him. Meanwhile, Augustine said that the orgy/threesome that got them the sperm that eventually produced Gideon Nav had been planned for five hundred years.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Everyone posted:

Basically, it seemed like while Augustine and Mercymorn had never fully gotten over what they did to become Lyctors, a lot of it, especially from Mercymorn seemed like sheer accumulated irritation. "He ate peanuts at a military briefing. Again. He must die and if that murders millions of others, that is a price I'm willing to pay because John is just that annoying!"

Take a look at Biosphere 2 or any of the stories of Russian scientists in the Arctic stabbing each other over chess games if you want real-life examples of isolation and free time driving rational people loving insane.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Gideon doesn't have any ethical objection to necromancy or invading & slowly killing off other planets though (invading other planets as part of a conquering army is her childhood dream). Harrow loves necromancy, cares quite a bit about the Ninth not being exploded, and doesn't really ever think about the larger empire at all.

At the end of Harrow, Gideon has overheard:
(1) John lied about Alecto not being his cavalier
(2) John lied about there not being a way to Lyctorify without eating the cavalier
(3) John lied about being vulnerable to resurrection beasts
(4) John had original recipe Gideon kick Harrow around to try to fix her

(1) and (3) don't seem like things she'd care about at all.

Augustine and Mercy are motivated by (2), but it doesn't seem that big for Gideon because she didn't get misled into anything. Gideon would have eaten a fence to save Harrow even if she knew there was a theoretically better Lyctor method out there, and without a threat to Harrow they wouldn't have done anything.

(4) she's pissed about at the time of hearing it, but not that much and not rising to "kill everybody back in the houses, including the assholes in the Ninth (that Harrow cares about)".

But her thoughts on Ianthe saving John are:

Gideonvoice in Harrow the Ninth posted:

Which was Tridentatrius all over. She got one choice, and not only did she blow it, but she blew it in such a huge loving spectacular way that you would've been impressed had you not hated her for it. Ianthe, throwing in her lot with the guy who has lied to everyone about everything. Ianthe, backstabbing her own cavalier all over again. Ianthe, with the world in the balance, reaching her hand out and pressing down on the weight marked BAD.
which is fun prose, but kind of out of nowhere. It seems like she ought to be pro-John, neutral, or at least conflicted. At the big "not dead" reveal, she seems shocked/confused, not angry

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Foxfire_ posted:

But her thoughts on Ianthe saving John are:

quote:

Which was Tridentatrius all over. She got one choice, and not only did she blow it, but she blew it in such a huge loving spectacular way that you would've been impressed had you not hated her for it. Ianthe, throwing in her lot with the guy who has lied to everyone about everything. Ianthe, backstabbing her own cavalier all over again. Ianthe, with the world in the balance, reaching her hand out and pressing down on the weight marked BAD.

which is fun prose, but kind of out of nowhere. It seems like she ought to be pro-John, neutral, or at least conflicted. At the big "not dead" reveal, she seems shocked/confused, not angry

It especially doesn't make a lot of sense given that the next time we meet Gideon Nav in Nona she's introducing herself as Prince Kiriona Gaia, Heir to the Emperor Undying + a bunch of other fancified titles. Beyond that there the whole If John Dies at the End, it's the end everybody in the Nine House system. I can buy Mercymore and Augustine as the kind of petty bitches that ultimately don't care about that, but Gideon seems to not be like that.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Everyone posted:

It especially doesn't make a lot of sense given that the next time we meet Gideon Nav in Nona she's introducing herself as Prince Kiriona Gaia, Heir to the Emperor Undying + a bunch of other fancified titles.

It's almost like Kiriona is not exactly Gideon anymore, and even has a different name to demarcate it. She's just the fries and the toy left in the box; the cheeseburger's still in Harrow and we can only speculate as to its status.

Edit: Bonus content

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 2, 2022

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I was just thinking thatthere's something weird going on with souls vs bodies as the seat of consciousness. Harrow subverts the Lyctor process by doing something to her brain, not her soul. But Lyctors eat the soul to gain memories, and Palamedes continued to exist as a disembodied soul

This might just be an oversight, not sure, but it also might point to an answer re: the apparent contradiction. Jod may have adjusted Gideon's brain just enough to make her tractable without changing her completely.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Harrow damages her brain's ability to remember Gideon. Like how antibodies have to remember a virus's code, Harrow can't digest Gideon if she doesn't have the right enzymes.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Ok but did her soul also forget Gideon?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Danhenge posted:

Ok but did her soul also forget Gideon?

Depends, is the soul part of the brain?

If you know the answer to this, are you actually her editor or something

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

DoctorWhat posted:

Harrow damages her brain's ability to remember Gideon. Like how antibodies have to remember a virus's code, Harrow can't digest Gideon if she doesn't have the right enzymes.

Harrow's eyes are black when Alecto revives her, she bleeds all over the place and passes out from six months of eating rocks and pen caps. You're probably right.

Anode
Dec 24, 2005

Nail me to my car and I'll tell you who you are
I found out today that my wife is convinced that Ianthe and Corona are not identical twins. The idea that they aren't has never even crossed my mind, and it seems like nothing in the text comes out and says it though it seems sort of necessary to me for thematic reasons?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Anode posted:

I found out today that my wife is convinced that Ianthe and Corona are not identical twins. The idea that they aren't has never even crossed my mind, and it seems like nothing in the text comes out and says it though it seems sort of necessary to me for thematic reasons?

Hair color is different?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Anode posted:

Even their first appearance makes a lot of how they are basically identical except Corona is somehow wildly more radiant while Ianthe looks drained of all vitality and presence. The line goes, "It was as though the second girl were the starved shadow of the first, or the first an illuminated reflection." I don't think much of their descriptions in relation to each other would make sense if they weren't identical.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

disposablewords posted:

Even their first appearance makes a lot of how they are basically identical except Corona is somehow wildly more radiant while Ianthe looks drained of all vitality and presence. The line goes, "It was as though the second girl were the starved shadow of the first, or the first an illuminated reflection." I don't think much of their descriptions in relation to each other would make sense if they weren't identical.

I had always thought they were fraternal but now I'm realizing I had no reason to think that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Everyone posted:

She always reminds me of the cat Miette. The Emperor KICKS Mercy?! Jail!! Jail for Emperor for One Thousand Years!!!!!

Anode
Dec 24, 2005

Nail me to my car and I'll tell you who you are

Harold Fjord posted:

Hair color is different?

I figured this was foreshadowing for the effect of necromancy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah I imagined Ianthe with dark hair but probably it's more white

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Peter Jackson's Locked Tomb: One Flesh, One Ent

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Looks like upholstery's back on the menu

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
it promised it wouldn't do anything weird and it did weird stuff and made nona mad and scared!! that's wrong!!!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
One of my favorite things about the locked tomb series is that Tamsyn's characters all seem to have kind of manifested similarly in everyone's minds? Some of that is the fan art echo chamber (a good echo chamber!), but I remember even when Harrow came out, I'd look at tomb twitter and be like "drat those fan artists captured these characters EXACTLY how I imagined them."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah ianthe specifically gets portrayed more accurately than my minds eye did lol

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Muir is really really really really good at evocative visual descriptions. Look a' tha boooooones

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Eat me, milk man.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
John is the only one with different interpretations, I feel. I even saw imagined him completely differently in Harrow and in Nona.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I feel like there's a lot of variation with how people draw Abigail and Magnus, but no matter how people draw them they are still recognizably Abigail and Magnus. I also think the Fourth teens vary depending on the artist.

I always imagine Teacher at Canan House as the old man scientist from Paprika, so I'm always kind of interested to see how people draw him

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
For me Teacher is an SNES sprite out of Chrono trigger with the hunchback.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The teacher gives me all the vibes of the defect from slay the spire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Palamedes is 100% Milo Thatch in my head. I can't change it no matter how hard I try