Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

OMG I have a roll in orange of that thick filament. I bought it by accident and couldn’t bring myself to toss it. I’ll send it to you if you want. Would just make me happy not to waste it.

We've got a couple spools laying around for it, felt like ABS. I imagine if we do anything with it, it would include modernizing it for standard filament.

It amazed me it powered on and moved, god knows how long it's been sitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Well offer stands open to anyone who wants it

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
welp. I'm printing in "the woods" .. kinda litterally. In a barely sealed area between some cargo containers. I've finally broken down and gone "screw it, i'm printing on a raft".

Hahah.

Doctor Zero posted:

Well offer stands open to anyone who wants it

I've got some 3mm I'd ship out too. I'd rather it not get wasted.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

NewFatMike posted:

Everyone knows about gloves and glasses and ventilation especially for resin printers, a decent shop apron is hard to beat for splashes and the like. Sounds like it would save some pants ITT :v:

I got a lab coat for my PPE kit when I got my resin printer. Really helps with those mad scientist / meth lab vibes for any neighbour who happens to peek over the fence and see me in respirator, gloves, coat and safety over-glasses.

In actuality I've found I've been pretty lax with the coat and over-glasses though. Unless I'm swapping resins and cleaning the basin the biggest risk is getting small drips from the build plate, which will hit my silicon mats / plastic table cloths and are immediately cleaned up.

The thing I do wonder about is when taking off supports with a cutter and tiny bits of uncured resin fling off somewhere sight unseen...

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Isometric Bacon posted:

The thing I do wonder about is when taking off supports with a cutter and tiny bits of uncured resin fling off somewhere sight unseen...

I cut two sides off a cardboard box and use that as an enclosure when I'm snipping supports off tough prints for exactly this reason.

That said, I've found a few strays when cleaning before and they're always seemingly fully cured and dried, so it seems like even a very small amount of UV light will cure tiny bits like that over a few days. The fact that I've never found a wet, uncured piece lying around has made me a lot less anxious about tiny shards that go missing.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3846234

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd-OGas5kDQ

I think.. I have my next printer project. My first thought here is.. imagine how small a portable printer could be.. if you just needed a base.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Serenade posted:

I've only been messing around with ASA for a few days. Gotta say I am quite impressed with the surface finish on the bottom 1/3rd of each model before I have to cancel the print because you do in fact need an enclosure.

Looking forward to this nightmare. Trying to print 4 risers out of ASA for a lack enclosure that I started 10 minutes ago... so I can print ASA and ABS without issues before it gets too cold. Looks like one corner has already lifted. I've only printed a couple drip irrigation parts a few millimeters tall with the ASA so far. To be fair they have held up to intense New Mexico UV and heat all summer without issue.

E: 7 minutes later and it already hosed up

Droogie fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 2, 2022

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Droogie posted:

Looking forward to this nightmare. Trying to print 4 risers out of ASA for a lack enclosure that I started 10 minutes ago... so I can print ASA and ABS without issues before it gets too cold. Looks like one corner has already lifted. I've only printed a couple drip irrigation parts a few millimeters tall with the ASA so far. To be fair they have held up to intense New Mexico UV and heat all summer without issue.

What's your overall setup? Photos help. How warm is your chamber?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Deviant posted:

great. the lowes down the road has it, so i'm going to try it for a change. because i hate sanding oh i hate it so much

I can't speak to it for 3D printing, as I haven't done anything that needed sanding, but for woodworking I loving hated sanding for a long time. My first step towards not hating it was Diablo SandNet discs from Home Depot, and the big jump was 3M Cubitron. It's still not fun and it's still a time sink, but it gets done way way faster and the better abrasives last forever. The 3D printing folks I know like sanding sponges, but I use a sanding block and an Milescraft SandPlane for a lot of my woodworking sandfuckery and it's made it, if not fun, way more tolerable.

Dunno how it works for plastic, and Cubitron is Not Cheap, but maybe worth a try.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 2, 2022

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Droogie posted:

I'm a big ABS stan but I printed my LACK enclosure parts in PLA and have no regrets. The enclosure is downstairs where the temp probably never gets above 22C so I don't have to worry about them deforming, and there's no direct sunlight.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

don't forget petg is an option too, i'm printing a lack enclosure out of it right now

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

store update: I've made 23 sales, i have 8 orders backlogged, my mono x has been running no stop, people love their mini's and terrain painted, and this went way better than i expected it to. Mini's are selling way more than any PLA terrain so i may pivot to that primarily, but we'll see. Resin printing really is amazing with the results you can get.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Nerobro posted:

I think.. I have my next printer project. My first thought here is.. imagine how small a portable printer could be.. if you just needed a base.

A couple years back a friend and I were thinking about doing an MPSCARA project to make a printer. We were thinking about doing multiple arms like tools for multiple materials.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

queeb posted:

store update: I've made 23 sales, i have 8 orders backlogged, my mono x has been running no stop, people love their mini's and terrain painted, and this went way better than i expected it to. Mini's are selling way more than any PLA terrain so i may pivot to that primarily, but we'll see. Resin printing really is amazing with the results you can get.

I wouldn’t pivot. I still get really big FDM orders, just not as often. It’s worth keeping some capacity.

You say you print painted terrain? Is it worth it? I’ve been thinking about at least offering priming since it’s seen others do it, but I’m it sure I want to take the time.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

:ninja:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Doctor Zero posted:

I wouldn’t pivot. I still get really big FDM orders, just not as often. It’s worth keeping some capacity.

You say you print painted terrain? Is it worth it? I’ve been thinking about at least offering priming since it’s seen others do it, but I’m it sure I want to take the time.

I really like doing it as a hobby and i was doing it myself for my own stuff, so making an extra ~100+ bucks an order to paint up a set is fine with me, lets me work on my skills and all that.

and then someone bought ~150 (small) tiles off me and wanted them painted, its a lot of work so i just threw out a really high number because i didnt reaaaly want to do it super bad so i wouldnt be upset if they said no, and then:

so i feel like its worth it if you find the right person haha.

edit: that was after paying ~200 for the terrain stuff.

queeb fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 2, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Have you seen what people are paying for hobby stuff like that these days? 355 dollars for 100+ separate custom painted models is a smoking deal.

A friend of mine works at a hobby shop and says that they have multiple whales spending over $40,000 a year.

Honestly next time you get a request like that, say it'll be $1,000 and see how they respond.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

well poo poo, though all in shes in for almost a grand in stuff shes bough from me so I'm ok with it so far hahah, i didnt expect to make any money let alone have 22 sales that are probably average over $100 each, its moves real fast.

people love their minis and custom D&D stuff.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hrmm. Moved to a new place, got printer setup again, with new 'smart' router and now I'm only getting ~5kb/s when uploading prints to the Duet Wifi.
Prusa slicer just times out, the Duet Web Interface will upload it, but obviously takes forever. I got limited options on the router, and running M122 seems to indicate that everything is ok on the actual Duet and wifi strength.
Only change has been the router.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sagebrush posted:

Have you seen what people are paying for hobby stuff like that these days? 355 dollars for 100+ separate custom painted models is a smoking deal.

A friend of mine works at a hobby shop and says that they have multiple whales spending over $40,000 a year.

Honestly next time you get a request like that, say it'll be $1,000 and see how they respond.

I suppose we can thank games workshop for that

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i ended up dropping 400 bucks of what i've gotten off etsy into buying a licence to sell https://www.infinitedimensions.ca stuff, hoping that pays dividends because their stuff is insanely dope.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hrmm. Moved to a new place, got printer setup again, with new 'smart' router and now I'm only getting ~5kb/s when uploading prints to the Duet Wifi.
Prusa slicer just times out, the Duet Web Interface will upload it, but obviously takes forever. I got limited options on the router, and running M122 seems to indicate that everything is ok on the actual Duet and wifi strength.
Only change has been the router.

I don't know what a smart router is but most stuff labeled smart is not. Definitely get your own if you're using one provided by your ISP. The home networking thread has a lot of device chat but we're largely in favor of either doing it simply with a mesh network system, setting up your own wireless access points and wired backhaul like with Unifi stuff, or just a decent router if you're in a small place. I've had a couple of Unifi APs for 8 or 9 years and they've been very solid, but I also ran some ethernet so that each end of the house could have its own access point.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

'Smart' how?
I know some devices really dislike the 2.4G / 5G mix, and some devices can poo poo themselves when the network has the same SSID/name for both the 2.4G and 5G networks, if it runs both in parallel.
Otherwise it's hard to guess since I don't know how your network is set up. ('Only change is the router' makes me assume you have your own network set up, only using the router as a modem.)

Are you running your own network, separate from the router/modem in the new apartment? If that's the case, making sure it's in bridge mode can alleviate some issues.
Networking is arbitrary bullshit too, unfortunately.

e: ^^ Yeah, pinging the networking thread is probably a great bet.
They'll probably correctly diagnose that since mercury is in retrograde, you need to reorient your router 5 degrees and pat your head three times to make it all work.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That could be it. Previous router had separate 2.4G/5G networks, whereas this one is just using one for both. I'll try the networking thread, but suspect I may have to buy a separate router. Waiting 30 mins for a file to upload to the printer wasn't cool.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Buying new equipment is always fun, but if the issue is 2.4G and 5G with the same name, then that's just a quick trip to the router's settings to fix.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

queeb posted:

i ended up dropping 400 bucks of what i've gotten off etsy into buying a licence to sell https://www.infinitedimensions.ca stuff, hoping that pays dividends because their stuff is insanely dope.

Hell yeah, have fun! Keep in mind not to scale up to fast and go crazy. I'm at like 10 different licences at this point, and there are a weird amount of goons doing the same thing.

Still struggling to make filament printing make any sort of sense to print. I think there's less of a barrier of entry to fdm which might be making it much less profitable

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 3, 2022

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SubNat posted:

Buying new equipment is always fun, but if the issue is 2.4G and 5G with the same name, then that's just a quick trip to the router's settings to fix.

Nope, not on this router. It's a proprietary modem/router thing made idiot proof. You can forward ports, that's about it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Three weeks ago, I gave my Anycubic Mini? whatever a tiny resin printer, to a buddy who does mini wargaming.

8 days later, he's swearing at me, and has ordered some printer with a 4k screen and a wash station and a bunch more resin. And is now printing epic minis at a prodigious rate.

Today he goes "If I want to print terrain, I need FDM".

.... I told him I'd print the terrain for him.

NewFatMike posted:

A couple years back a friend and I were thinking about doing an MPSCARA project to make a printer. We were thinking about doing multiple arms like tools for multiple materials.

That's... a genius idea...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nerobro posted:

What is the build volume on something like this

That seems like... acceptable print quality for very large objects. An arm that could print 450x450x450 would print a lot of my large format stuff I'm currently having to pin together and glue. Pinning and gluing more than 10 pieces together to get an 18x18x18" volume; you run into alignment problems that stack

You could get around a lot of the limitations of PLA by using ~98% infill for the ends and 10mm carbon fiber tube for the long bits

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 3, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I don't know if you guys check out 3D Printy's projects at all but he puts out new models of stuff every week or two. This week has some fully 3d printed Halloween themed bobbleheads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cWb99a7tlI

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Rexxed posted:

I don't know if you guys check out 3D Printy's projects at all but he puts out new models of stuff every week or two. This week has some fully 3d printed Halloween themed bobbleheads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cWb99a7tlI

Yeah, he releases a new one almost every Monday, he's a great designer! I don't know if I'll be printing this one, but I have his puzzle treasure chest which is fantastic. I also printed his brick puzzle but haven't glued the magnets in to assemble it yet but it seems really cool.

Here's my treasure chests, one to give away :cool:

Here's the model in case anyone is wondering:
https://www.printables.com/model/206656-treasure-chest-puzzle-box-update

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Nerobro posted:

What's your overall setup? Photos help. How warm is your chamber?

Oh, no, not really looking for help, just complaining. Actually... maybe some advice on temps that work best after I do get an enclosure set up. One corner of that print lifted and hosed everything else.

Base ender 3 with upgraded springs, bowden and a metal extruder, a non textured glass build plate. Everything in stock configuration.

Was running asa at... 240c, (I think), bed at 85c, no cooloing fan. No enclosure yet. It's just in my studio which is not ducted like the rest of the house, it was probably 78 to 80f in there this weekend, which I thought was a gamble.

Probably just going to do them in PLA+ for the time being. Thermistor had gone out Sunday morning anyway after acting.oddly for a week or so anyway. Kept getting thermal runaway warnings. Replacement incoming Tuesday.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Hadlock posted:

You could get around a lot of the limitations of PLA by using ~98% infill for the ends and 10mm carbon fiber tube for the long bits

Newbie here. Why not 100%?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
You can carryover problems with your first layer or layer misalignments if there's nowhere for the extruder to push extra material to.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

That makes sense. Thanks!

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Went to a hobby shop and spent some money on some actual proper miniature paint brushes and paints. Wow, what a difference.

I've never done any miniature painting in the past because I always scoffed at the price of everything, or the requirement to have a ton of crap lying around my house - but I can see this becoming dangerous.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Went to a hobby shop and spent some money on some actual proper miniature paint brushes and paints. Wow, what a difference.

I've never done any miniature painting in the past because I always scoffed at the price of everything, or the requirement to have a ton of crap lying around my house - but I can see this becoming dangerous.

Good job for your first time!!! There’s a mini painting thread in trad games you should check out. Welcome to the new money sink hobby!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm terrible at miniatures painting but it's probably the only hobby I have that I would classify as truly relaxing.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I'm terrible at miniatures painting but it's probably the only hobby I have that I would classify as truly relaxing.

I really need to spend some time learning how to do this. What's a good model I can print to practice with? I need something dead easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

cruft posted:

I really need to spend some time learning how to do this. What's a good model I can print to practice with? I need something dead easy.

Look for "scatter terrain", it can be anything from rocks to plants to crates to traffic lights to... whatever, really. Just filler pieces for larger terrain installations. Should be plenty of familiar and simple objects to choose from out there.