Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

nate fisher posted:

Incantation
Netflix

It is a found footage movie and it might be the first found footage movie I have seen (I am sure I am forgetting other movies) that also has flashbacks that are found footage too. The concept is a group of 'paranormal investigators' break a religious taboo and by doing so they end up cursed. The current found footage portion is one of them dealing with the curse and her young daughter. The flashback footage is from 6 years ago and how they broke the taboo. While I enjoyed the movie, I think it suffered from jumping time as a found footage movie. Instead of staying with a situation in the flashback as it builds, it jumps to the current time and into something not as interesting. Also, while I can forgive found footage being somewhat unbelieve that they are truly found footage, this goes a little too far for me. The main reason they did found footage I believe was it does break the 4th wall. That does work well in found footage in this case. Finally, the movie really felt long despite being under 2 hours. Still, I did like it due to the story and atmosphere (especially in the flashbacks). I know I focused a lot on the negative, but this seems to have pretty positive reviews. Not only that it is the highest grossing Taiwanese horror movie.

3 out of 5

On my takes I am trying to avoid spoilers and too many story details as much as possible. I hope that is ok.

I don't know if you're familiar with the found footage films of Kōji Shiraishi, but if you liked this movie then you should definitely check out his films, especially Noroi: The Curse which Incantation borrows heavily from in terms of style and atmosphere.

and avoiding spoilers is appreciated but don't hesitate to use spoiler tags if you do want to talk about anything specific!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

3. You Won't Be Alone (2022)
(dir. Goran Stolevski)
Amazon rental

After her mother makes a deal with a witch that leaves her unable to speak, a young girl is raised in isolation for 16 years before being turned into a witch herself. She gains the ability to take the shape of people (or animals) she kills, and uses this to live among the local villagers and experience life as an outsider in the skin of their loved ones.

This is a really interesting film. There are plenty of movies about witches in the 19th century, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one from the perspective of the witch like this. She's a tragic figure, desperately wanting to belong in a sometimes cruel society that she doesn't fully understand. Throughout the film she becomes both men and women, and the contrast in her experiences as the different genders is a major theme. I think you could read this as an allegory for a person exploring their gender identity, although it may be broader than that and about one's identity and role in society in general.

I did think it was a bit too slow. I'm not opposed to this sort of pacing - Hagazussa, another recent period piece about witches, is even slower and I adored that - but something about the pacing here didn't totally work for me. It's very deliberate and I appreciate the focus on emotion and mood, but I think if it was a little shorter and tightened up a bit I would've enjoyed this even more.

Overall really excellent though. If a slowly paced and introspective film about witches and identity sounds up your alley, I highly recommend checking it out.

4 overprotective mothers out of 5

Total: 3
Watched: The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane | Extraordinary Tales | You Won't Be Alone

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie #2: Night at the Eagle Inn (2021)

I think I just gave myself horror movie whiplash. I went from Nope to Night at the Eagle Inn, from a smart and unique movie to something that would be best described as CTRL-C, CTRL-V -- the movie. The whole creative process seems to have been "let's watch famous horror movies and then redo scenes from them".

Clocking in at a mercifully short 70 minutes, Night at the Eagle Inn is the story of two zoomer twins attempting to spend the night at an inn... with spooky consequences. You see, this is the inn where their father mysteriously disappeared ... at the very moment they were born! Predictably the inn is inhabited by creepy weirdoes and soon enough supernatural poo poo starts happening.

Night at the Eagle Inn can't decide if it wants to be horror comedy, a Joss Whedon style quipfest or a Shining tribute, so instead it alternates between all three seemingly at random. Sure, there's some good spooky scenes in the movie, and for a low budget UK indie movie it's genuinely impressive at times, but then it immediately yanks the carpet out from under itself by attempting to serve up some rough chuckles. That's not automatically a terrible thing. Hell, Shaun of the Dead is equal parts proper zombie poo poo and black comedy, and it's one of the best horror movies of all time. But it was also made by a very talented crew, while Night at the Eagle Inn probably wasn't. So what could be an effective way to cut the tension and shift tones on the viewer ends up just turning the movie into a muddled mess.

It's not TERRIBLE, but it just could've been so much better. It's frustrating to see the bones of what could have been a good indie horror flick and end up with a disappointment. And gently caress Joss Whedon for turning every movie into a lovely quipfest.

:spooky::spooky:,5 / 5

My October 2022 Movies:
1. Nope, 2. Night at the Eagle Inn

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Liar Lyre posted:

Innocent Blood
Dir. John Landis
United States🇺🇸

I won’t lie, I mostly watched this because it takes place in and is primarily shot in Pittsburgh. It’s always fun watching a movie from your town or city and trying to figure out where they’re at or what doesn’t line up. For example, there’s a shot of someone driving out of the Liberty Tunnel but the reverse is Fort Pitt Bridge. I drive that every day and I know that view of the city from that bridge. You’re not fooling me, Mr. Landis.

I know I already mentioned this in another challenge thread or the horror thread, but as a native Pittsburgher, Anne Parillaud saying "How ze hell do I get to Shadyside?" will never not be hysterically funny to me.

Movie logic with Pittsburgh traffic (see also Striking Distance) is always fun to watch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
:spooky: SPOOKY BINGO 2022 Edition :spooky:

The rules are simple. As you watch a qualifying movie, you will mark your SPOOKY card. It's bingo rules, so you are trying to spell SPOOKY either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. You can also fill the card. Most spots have multiple qualifiers, so read closely. You can mark your card however you see fit: simple scribbles on MS Paint (or PhotoPea), posters, or whatever symbols.

Movies must be new-to-you, unless otherwise noted in the descriptions. Only one film per Spooky block, no double-dipping.

Halloween Is Special
rewatch safe

-Watch 60+ minutes of Halloween specials. These can be made-for-TV specials (e.g. Scary Godmother,), these can be Halloween or horror-adjacent episodes of sitcoms (e.g., "Stevil" from Family Matters, "Arnold's Halloween" from Hey Arnold, "And There Was Shawn" of Boy Meets World). You will have to write about every episode or special you watch.
-Watch a Halloween favorite or "guilty pleasure"

Golden Years

-Watch a movie released before 1960

Hausu

-watch a Haunted House film
-watch a Ghost movie

Paperbacks From Hell

-Watch a film adaptation of a novel or short story
-Watch a film that heavily features a novelist or writer

Highbrow Horror

-watch a highly esteemed qualifying film (horror, thriller, etc.) film
-watch a film featured in the Criterion Collection, on Criterion Channel or on Mubi

Masters of Horror

-Pick an objective Master of Horror. Watch a film of theirs you've never seen.

A Perfect Getaway

-watch a film from a country you've never seen a film from.
-watch a film about a vacation gone wrong

Scream, Queen!

-Watch a horror film by a LGBQT+ director
-Watch a horror film with themes that deal heavily with LGBQT+ themes. You will need to include these in your write-up.
-Watch a documentary about LGBQT+ horror films

Femme Fatale

-Watch a horror film directed by a woman.
-Watch a feminist horror film. You need to including in your review how the film qualifies as a feminist film.

Thrilla In Manila

-watch a Southeast Asian film

Horror Noire

-Watch a film directed by a Black filmmaker
-Watch a film with themes that predominantly relate to POC. You will need to write about these themes in your review.
-Watch a documentary about Black Cinema.

Behind the Screams

-Watch a film about or featuring filmmaking
-Watch a documentary about a film.
-Watch a documentary about a horror icon: directors, writers, actors, special effects artists, character (e.g., Freddy Kruger, Chucky), production companies, subgenres, etc.

The Devil Made Me Do It

-watch a film about possession
-watch a film that features the Devil, or Satan, or demons.
-watch a horror film heavily featuring religion or religious themes

Yuppie Nightmare

The podcast With Gourley and Rust are doing a season of "Yuppie Nightmares", where wealthy/affluent happy people are “punished” for their success, or have their lives upturned by intruders, or accidentally invite problems into their lives.

-watch a film that qualifies as a Yuppie Nightmare.
Resources: Here is the list of films WG&R are watching
Here is an expanded list of films that qualify

You do not have to watch a movie that is on either of these lists, as long as it is within the theme and you can elaborate on why you think it qualifies in your write-up

Glitches

-watch a film heavily featuring fears of technology, fears of the internet, or devices failing/becoming possessed/dangerous,

Punk Vacation

-watch a film that heavily features punks.
-watch a "punk" horror film. You will need to discuss in your review why you think the film could be described as "punk".

Something Wicked This Way Comes

-Watch a film predominately about witches and witchcraft
-Watch a film about an evil carnival, fair, or circus

They Always Come Back

-watch a remake, reboot or a prequel to a film
-watch the original of a remake, reboot or prequel

Picnic At Hanging Rock

-watch a period piece film

Zombie Honeymoon

-watch a film featuring a doomed romance
-watch a film about relationships or love

Osteology

-watch a movie with "Bone(s)", "Skull(s)", "Skeleton(s)", or other osteological terms in the title.

Goodnight, Mommy

-watch a movie with a scary/killer mom
-watch a movie with mommy issues
-watch a movie that features themes of motherhood.
-watch a movie with a mummy

Whispers in the Dark
rewatch safe

-watch a film with a commentary (filmmaker, fan, special features, podcast)
-watch a new edit of a film you've seen before (e.g., director's cut, uncut version, fan edit)

Dead & Buried

-watch a film that has had a major contributor (director, composer, actor, producer, etc.) pass away since last October.
-watch the film Dead & Buried. (Only counts if you've never seen the film before.)

Children of the Damned

-watch a film that is family-friendly
-watch a film that features killer children

Short Cuts

-Watch 60 minutes of short films. Write a review for each one. (Please write them in a single post, and try to provide links where possible.)

Wild Beasts

-Watch a film that features killer animal(s)

H20

-watch a film that features a lot of water (the ocean counts)
-watch a film about underwater creatures/monsters
-watch a film that is celebrating it's 20th anniversary this year (no rewatches)

Spaced Invaders

-Watch a film about extraterrestrial life
-Watch a film set in space

Tales of Terror

-Watch an anthology film

Origin of Evil

-Watch a film from your birth year.

V/H/S

-watch a Found Footage film
-watch a film that was released direct-to-video in the VHS era

To Serve Man

-Watch a film that features cannibalism

After Dark

-watch an After Dark HorrorFest film (or After Dark Original)

TerrorVision

-Watch a made-for-TV film
-Watch a film where TV is personified as evil or evil comes from the TV

Full Moon

-watch a Werewolf movie
-watch a Full Moon Pictures film
-watch a movie where the Full Moon is a plot device

Only films logged after this post count towards Spooky Bingo. Sorry, no retroactive fitting. Don't be mad, I love you.

I want to give special thanks to everyone who PM'd me with suggestions. As always, they were helpful, even if I didn't end up using them. :glomp:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 2, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Franchescanado posted:

Only films logged after this post count towards Spooky Bingo. Sorry, no retroactive fitting. Don't be mad, I love you.

Boo I literally just filed movies an hour ago :argh: If I'd played a bit on my Steam Deck before writing my reviews instead of being a good boy I'd have two squares already!

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

E: "Goodnight, Mommy" should also allow movies with mummies in, to accommodate those of us who spell it "Mummy". Lots of fun categories!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 2, 2022

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Can we get a simple black and white version of the bingo card? I like to print mine out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamn, 2002 was a pretty strong year for horror

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Liar Lyre posted:

Can we get a simple black and white version of the bingo card? I like to print mine out.

Quick and dirty:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Woohoo!

Genuinely can not wait to get a chance to sit down and map out a whole new list You rock, Fran.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Boo I literally just filed movies an hour ago :argh:

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

E: "Goodnight, Mommy" should also allow movies with mummies in, to accommodate for those of us who spell it "Mummy". Lots of fun categories!

Done.

Liar Lyre posted:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

And one movie can only fill one spot at a time, right? So if it could qualify for two, I have to choose which?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

And one movie can only fill one spot at a time, right? So if it could qualify for two, I have to choose which?

Correct.

STAC Goat posted:

Woohoo!

Genuinely can not wait to get a chance to sit down and map out a whole new list You rock, Fran.

Thank you! I hope it inspires some fun new watches!

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
:hellyeah: Lemme get in some quick bingo recommendations for people who haven't seen these

Paperbacks From Hell: In the Mouth of Madness (though I'll be watching Gerald's Game)

Scream, Queen!: Fear Street (mostly #1 and #3)

Thrilla In Manila: I'm prepared to argue that The Night Comes For Us or even The Raid are horror enough to qualify

Behind the Screams: One Cut of the Dead or Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Yuppie Nightmare: Bodies Bodies Bodies

Glitches: Upgrade

Punk Vacation: Green Room obviously

Dead & Buried: seriously, watch the film Dead & Buried

Short Cuts: I'll be watching the first Backrooms and that Abandoned Grain Elevator thing

H20: The Bay, or A Cure for Wellness

Spaced Invaders: Europa Report, or Gravity

Tales of Terror: any V/H/S movie (99 comes out this month) or Trick 'r Treat or Southbound

Origin of Evil: don't dox yourself

V/H/S: The Poughkeepsie Tapes

Full Moon: Ginger Snaps or Dog Soldiers

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 2, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You're the best.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You're the best.

There aren't enough Mummy movies to make it a block choice (I've thought about it), so that's a fun way to include it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

:spooky: SPOOKY BINGO 2022 Edition :spooky:

They Always Come Back

-watch a remake, reboot or a prequel to a film

6) Orphan: First Kill - 2022 - Paramount+

While I had the chance to catch this at the theater I work in, best I managed were a few peek ins during the showings. Mostly I tread cautiously when it comes to prequels just because they can be so hit or miss. Finally giving it a proper sit down watch, it's a right in the middle of the hit or miss.

I knew in advance this was Esther's story with the family she was with before the ones in the last film, so I had my expectations how this was going to go and how it was going to end. While it was exactly that, there were a few twists and surprises that I genuinely did not expect. Considering the sheer volume of horror films I watch, major kudos points to the writers for pulling this off.

In general, I found this also okay, but I do like it a skosh more than the original.

quote:

This is why I was going slow until the Bingo post.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

6) The Chill Factor (1993)

The blurb for this promised me The Exorcist meets the Winter Olympics, but nothing about this movie lived up to either. Instead it’s like someone saw The Evil Dead and/or Witchboard, thought “I could do that but with snow” and then learned that they could not, in fact, do that. It’s about a group of rich kids who stumble into a backwoods bar, fight some racist yokel, and then head out for a drunken late afternoon snowmobile race at an ominously named frozen lake. Tom wins the race but then goes flying and is seriously hurt. The others drag him to an abandoned lodge nearby to try to stabilize him while one of the group goes the thirty miles back to town to find help.

Once they’ve done what they can for Tom, the group decides to play with a Ouija-like game they find in the lodge. Tom’s girlfriend, Jeannie, tries to convince them that it’s dangerous, but the group tells Jeannie to lighten the gently caress up and invoke some spirits with them while they wait to see if her boyfriend’ll die. When Tom starts to improve, everyone is relieved at first, but that’s when the others start getting picked off. Eventually we end up with Jeannie and Demonic Tom in a desperate snowmobile race to safety which has no real suspense given that an elderly Jeannie has been narrating for us this whole time.

Some of the stunts are entertaining, but the kills were really uneven. One gets a bit artsy to suggest a level of gore that the movie doesn’t show, which comes across less like a stylistic choice and more like an effect they couldn’t pull off. Another death was just boring. I think this movie had potential, but it wastes a lot of time on setup and then doesn't deliver once the scares start. The gimmicky snowmobile stuff can't make up for how derivative the rest of it is.

1. The Wind (1986) 2. Sole Survivor (1984) 3. Blair Witch (2016) 4. Horror in the High Desert (2021) 5. The Lurking Fear (1994)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Thanks! I’m gonna start crafting my watchlist at work.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
1. Q: The Winged Serpent (1982) (first viewing)

From schlock auteur Larry Cohen, director of such films as It's Alive and The Stuff, comes Q: The Winged Serpent! In this film, two NYPD detectives (David Carradine and Richard Roundtree) are investigating a series of bizarre murders, but soon discover they were ritual suicides meant to resurrect an ancient Aztec god, the flying lizard Quetzalcoatl. Unbeknownst to the detectives, but discovered by a small-time ex-con on the lam (Michael Moriarty), Q is now hiding out in the rafters of the Chrysler Building--when he's not snatching New Yorkers off rooftops, that is. This one's kind of a cross between a monster movie and a police procedural, and played pretty straight given the premise. It's perhaps heavier on the crime/mystery aspect than the monster stuff, with the stop-motion effects used pretty sparingly. Not that the movie comes across too cheap or anything, I was actually pleasantly surprised by their ability to get solid New York locations and aerial shots. The cast is pretty game in general, although Moriarty stands out as the bumbling crook trying to leverage his secret knowledge any way he can. Moriarty would go on to work with Cohen several more times, including starring in The Stuff, as well as a pretty good episode of Masters of Horror, so it's fun to see their first collaboration.

SPOOKY Bingo: This one checks off "High Brow Horror," as it's part of the Criterion Channel's '80s Horror collection. (Check it out at https://www.criterionchannel.com/80s-horror.)

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Is the "Dead & Buried" challenge rewatch safe? Or are we intended to watch something by the talent that we'd never seen before?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

2. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) - 3.5/5

I bounced off this once before, and I’m not sure why. Before the first hour dragged for me and I turned it off, but this time I was engaged throughout and the first hour flew by. In a way this still didn’t work for me, at least as intended. I wasn’t gripped by suspense as I was never invested in Blanche’s wellbeing, preferring Bette Davis’s hilariously bitter antics over Joan Crawford’s suffering saint act. I sympathized with Baby Jane as a pitiably tragic figure in her childishness, especially since there are hints throughout that Blanche isn’t as nice as she lets on, starting right away with her passive-aggressive ringing of the bell. Bette Davis is just so endearing as a monster that I can understand how the “psychobiddy” genre took off after this film.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Class3KillStorm posted:

Is the "Dead & Buried" challenge rewatch safe? Or are we intended to watch something by the talent that we'd never seen before?

You are intended to watch something by the talent you haven’t seen before.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

6. The Black Hole (1979)

Hell yes, time for that 1979 sci-fi horror classic where a spaceship crew explores a space derelict only to make a terrifying discovery... The Black Hole! What a weird project. This is a Walt Disney picture that set out to be a disaster adventure movie like The Poseidon Adventure in space, pivoted to rip off Star Wars when that flavor of sci-fi became a mega-hit during The Black Hole's development process, and somewhere along the way picked up such a macabre atmosphere that it became a horror story about Dr. Frankenstein's haunted spaceship as much as anything else in the mix. Does the film end up a muddle? Definitely. Is it worth watching? Definitely.

The production design and John Barry's score make the opening magical. The U.S.S. Cygnus spaceship is one part oil rig, two parts Gothic cathedral, an absolutely superb feat of miniature craftsmanship that summons all the right dread as circumstances force the protagonist crew of the Palomino to draw close and dock with the massive space hulk as it perches on the event horizon of a black hole. The interior is perhaps a little less imaginative and more airport terminal in its vibe, but the control room reveal makes up for it! The "crew" of mindless robots with their "medieval" robes and reflective Daft Punk facemasks are just an exquisite pairing of ancient Dracula energy and techno-wizardry for how simple they are. And that makes Maximilian Schell the techno-wizard, a classic mad scientist archetype who clearly has secrets on board beyond his mad ambition to traverse the black hole and achieve immortality in a universe beyond physical laws on the other side. Without spoilers, it's an interesting question whether he gets his wish; the ending is a gobsmacking piece of ambiguity that steals from 2001: A Space Odyssey and throws in some heady religious symbolism of its own.

I could gush longer about the cool stuff, but I gotta pump the brakes and talk about the goofy Star Wars space adventure scenes. They are not very good. Pretty much anything involving the pseudo-Stormtrooper robots is bad, particularly a huge dumb blaster fight on a bridge. The score kicks into a brassy John Williams imitation that totally kills the dark and menacing energy of the piece. Fortunately the pew-pew recedes and we get back to a vortex that looks like red swirling gases around the mouth of hell itself. Oddly though, despite him being a cuddly R2-D2 knockoff with big square googly eyes and thus part of the picture's sillier side, Vincent the robot won me over. He drops a lot of timely aphorisms, he's brave, he gets poo poo done, he blows things away with lasers and brawls with the big bad robot with the buzzsaw hands! All the other Star Wars derivative crap can go but he can stay, and be my friend.

:jeb: :jeb: :jeb: .5 / 5

Super pumped that Spooky Bingo is live!! The Black Hole is set in space, qualifying for Spaced Invaders.

Vanilla Bison fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 24, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
6. A Woman in Lizards Skin

Where to watch? Uh nowhere that I know of its not even rentable on Amazon , so you may have to hoist the black flag

Directed by Lucio Fulci , this is a trippy who done it mystery with lots of nudity. Hell the movie starts with people just naked and writhing around. Its deftly directed though and it is actually well acted. Its not got a lot of gore but it does have some memorable scenes in it and it doesn't shy away from the gore when it shows it. Mostly its a mood. I found this film relaxing and its a chill easy watch. Its over 1 hour and 44 minutes but it doesn't really seem like it. Its worth watching as its got a great mystery in it and some very memorable scenes.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
2. Halloween H20

I had no intention of watching this, probably ever. But I was bored and put on AMC and it was on and its...not horrendous? It was a decent popcorn watch for sure. So for the Halloween movies I've only seen Halloween 1, 3 and now H20 lol. 3 is still my favorite.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

3. Tales From the Crypt (1972)
:spooky:Tales Of Terror Challenge:spooky:

I always forget that I haven’t actually seen the OG Tales from the Crypt. It’s a 70s Amicus-adjacent anthology full of the usual classic British-horror goodness with stuffy bastards getting their just deserts in a full spread of morality plays.

It’s almost a bit unfair watching this now having seen so many anthologies-some things feel rote but at the time I’m sure this film was far more trailblazing. It’s influence on the sub-genre is clear. One of my favorite segments was an oft-imitated version of the classic Monkeys Paw concepts. It was particularly nasty.

It has a lot of style and a lot of classic British actors. I love seeing professional actors taking genre material like horror dead serious. A particularly effective and fun performance from Peter Cushing. Clearly an important film for the genre- it’s more creepy than outright terrifying and as with most anthologies, hit or miss, but still worth checking out.

:spooky:3.5/5:spooky:

1. Evil Toons (3.5/5) 2. Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers (2.5/5) 3. Tales from the Crypt (3.5/5)

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 2, 2022

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

worms butthole guy posted:

2. Halloween H20

I had no intention of watching this, probably ever. But I was bored and put on AMC and it was on and its...not horrendous? It was a decent popcorn watch for sure. So for the Halloween movies I've only seen Halloween 1, 3 and now H20 lol. 3 is still my favorite.

It’s definitely one of the rare Halloween sequels that’s actually pretty good. 1, H20, and Halloween 2018 make a decent “trilogy” featuring Laurie Strode and you can pretend the others in that timeline don’t exist. (Rob Zombie’s Halloween 2 rules though)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm assuming the Full Moon challenge counts anything released by Full Moon Features, but since it says Full Moon Pictures I was wondering if it had to be something from their 1996-2002 'Full Moon Pictures' series?

Also for the purposes of A Perfect Getaway, do the USSR and Russia count as two different countries? I don't know enough about history or geography to know if having watched a movie from Russia before means I can't use a movie from the USSR for that one. :shobon:

Would love some suggestions for punk horror movies, I've already seen the ones that popped up from a quick search. I'd also like some cannibal movie suggestions (but please nothing like Cannibal Holocaust).

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Thread reminder that goon fave David Warner passed away this year, I'm sure he has a bunch of films you wanna watch for the challenge.

I've lined up Cast a Deadly Spell.

The Berzerker posted:

I'd also like some cannibal movie suggestions (but please nothing like Cannibal Holocaust).

Have you seen Blood Diner (or the loose original Blood Feast)? Death Line (1972) is on YouTube and is pretty good, too.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 2, 2022

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

gey muckle mowser posted:

It’s definitely one of the rare Halloween sequels that’s actually pretty good. 1, H20, and Halloween 2018 make a decent “trilogy” featuring Laurie Strode and you can pretend the others in that timeline don’t exist. (Rob Zombie’s Halloween 2 rules though)

Dang that's good to know own then. I'll make sure to watch 2018 then

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We should all watch Dracula 3000 to honor Coolio. And so I’m not the only one watching Dracula 3000.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

The Berzerker posted:

Would love some suggestions for punk horror movies, I've already seen the ones that popped up from a quick search. I'd also like some cannibal movie suggestions (but please nothing like Cannibal Holocaust).

Punk:
Green Room
Class of 1999
Uncle Peckerhead (haven’t seen it, but it will probably be my pick for that square)

Cannibal:
Ravenous
Trouble Every Day
Eating Raoul (more black comedy than straight horror but I think it would count)
Fresh
Raw

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Berzerker posted:

I'm assuming the Full Moon challenge counts anything released by Full Moon Features, but since it says Full Moon Pictures I was wondering if it had to be something from their 1996-2002 'Full Moon Pictures' series?

Also for the purposes of A Perfect Getaway, do the USSR and Russia count as two different countries? I don't know enough about history or geography to know if having watched a movie from Russia before means I can't use a movie from the USSR for that one. :shobon:

You can knock out punk or cannibal with Return of the Living Dead.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 2, 2022

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

STAC Goat posted:

We should all watch Dracula 3000 to honor Coolio. And so I’m not the only one watching Dracula 3000.

I was going to watch this on Friday, but couldn't find a copy. That said, The Convent is on Shudder and also features Coolio!

The Hausu Usher posted:

Have you seen Blood Diner (or the loose original Blood Feast)? Death Line (1972) is on YouTube and is pretty good, too.

Blood Diner is a five star movie, for sure. I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't already seen it (but I have). Death Line is a great suggestion, it was already on my watch list and I will probably use it for that square - thanks!

[various recommendations]

Thanks to you too gmm. I've seen Class of 1999 (and 1984 for that matter), and Green Room, but Uncle Peckerhead is a good back-up if I don't find something that looks more interesting. Adding Fresh to my list too, whether I get to it this month or not.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You can knock out punk and cannibal in one go with Return of the Living Dead.

Only one bingo square per movie, my friend. (I also have seen ROTLD a million times, I usually watch it on July 3rd as is tradition, but thank you anyway)

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

4. Sissy
Umm, that's a micro-aggression.

I don't want to say anything that would spoil it for someone else, but this movie whips rear end. It's an excellent blend of comedy, discomfort, and absolute horror, including at least two of the most gratuitous and ridiculous kills I've seen in a LONG time. The film manages to be about influencers in a way that doesn't feel obnoxious or grating, and deals with childhood bullying in a way that is vaguely therapeutic (if you're a psychopath). Honestly, I just had a lot of fun watching this movie. Started this one watching by myself, and by the time I was done everybody in the house had sat down to watch it, which has gotta be a good sign.

Rating: 7.9/10 Glittery Bottles of Nail Polish

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punk:
Green Room
Class of 1999
Uncle Peckerhead (haven’t seen it, but it will probably be my pick for that square)

The ranger is a modern movie featuring punks being stalked by a park ranger

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

1: Drácula (1931)

The Spanish language version is a mixed bag because there are bits I liked better than the English version, but it sorely misses Lugosi and Dwight Frye. It’s not Carlos Villarias’ fault he looks so much like Steve Carrell in a lot of shots, but it definitely took me out of the film to an extent. It also lacks the most affecting shot in the original - the reveal of Renfield in the hold of the Demeter. A fun novelty but not something I would choose to watch over the English version. 3/5

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Keeping on the Ringu theme:

3) Ring 0: Birthday (1999)
Rewatch

I think I had already watched this film about three times before now, and I couldn't remember anything about it. There's just nothing about Ring ) that sticks in my mind. It's a very forgettable film.

By making a prequel about Sadako, we've changed from the urban legend techno horror of the first two films into just a film about a girl with super powers. Ultimately this is just a boring version of Carrie.

I don't know, I think you could make a version of this film that's actually interesting. Something that actually has strong characters and focuses on the trauma Sadako actually goes through. There's some good ideas here but I can't remember what they were because already details about this film have slipped from my brain.

4/10??

4) Sadako (2019)
First Watch

Yeah alright! 20 years after Ring 0, Hideo Nakata returns to the directors chair for a direct sequel to Ring 2 (all of the other Ring films are either stand-alone or offshoots of the other Ring 2, Rasen)! I can't wait to see a grant return to for-oh wait it's even worse than Ring 0.

I don't get it. Part of what made the original Ring work so well was that it was very simple: You watch scary video, you wait a week, creepy girl crawls out of the TV and kills you. It's easy, the rules are there and very well established and it has a great tension-creating ticking clock built in. So I don't understand why every Ring sequel totally ignores that, and instead wants to focus on bland characters slowing investigating new lore that just makes things less interesting.

I guess this film tries to comment on modern media - one of the main characters who goes missing is a YouTuber who tries to make shocking videos - but all the potential is wasted. There's a lot they could have done with the virality of the original video, and how different that would be with modern media, but they just do nothing with it. Again, the entire aspect of the cursed video - literally the thing that made the first film so popular - is basically forgotten here and Sadako is reduced to just a generic creepy girl.

Ring 0 was boring, but this was actively bad.

3/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

2. The Deep House

An urban explorer couple find an underwater house... with spooky results.

It's an underwater haunted house.
That's it.
It looks cool, I guess.

2.5/5