Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
As of the current chapter, which part of One Piece do you think is the stronger: pre-time skip or post-time skip?

For me, I'd have to say pre-time skip, just because the Paramount War has been the highlight of the entire series for me. I've never been more excited for a weekly manga than during that period of One Piece. I think post-time skip also has more bits than I don't enjoy, with big chunks of Fishman Island, Dressrosa, and Wano not being as good as what came before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
until I get a run of arcs that blows my mind like saobondy to marineford it’s gonna be pre time-skip

zou-WCI-wano coulda did it but wano couldn’t nail the landing

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Pre skip is better but I tend to not like time-skips in general

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
fishman island was really the one part that, combined with the time skip, i was incredibly "oh no is one piece getting bad now"

i liked it more on revisiting it and in greater context of the overall story, but i feel like the skip really was an unnecessary, merchandising driven thing but also that's just because i like all the pre-skip designs so much better

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i like pre timeskip for the adventure and the art style but post timeskip for the actual resolution to all the cool hints

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

time skips are cool. Always cool to see your pals get new designs and power ups and have the state of the world change dramatically.

Pre-time skip One Piece was better though.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
biggest problem post-timeskip has just been arcs getting bloated with more moving parts than oda knows what to do with, neither wano or dressrosa needed to be as long as they were. just feels like oda is trying to one-up himself in scale each time with diminishing returns

it hasn't been bad just feels like it could really use an editor to look over the draft outlines of each arc and tighten things up

& yeah kaidou was a weirdly disappointing villain in the end, there just didn't end up being much interesting about him?

lih fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 2, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Always a trip to remember that by chapter 150 or so we already had half the crew. Things moved much faster then

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nikumatic posted:

fishman island was really the one part that, combined with the time skip, i was incredibly "oh no is one piece getting bad now"

i liked it more on revisiting it and in greater context of the overall story, but i feel like the skip really was an unnecessary, merchandising driven thing but also that's just because i like all the pre-skip designs so much better

Really? I’d personally say that the timeskip was one of the least superfluous in all of Shonen, because the idea of the protagonists not being strong enough to handle the trials ahead was being built up to for like six years, and the vast leap in power/ability felt way more long-term and significant than something like Dragonball/Naruto where they spent three years training just to be weaker than the current new threat.

Also there’s the big thing of the world itself having changed significantly due to fallout of Marineford. But then imho the postskip designs generally barely changed except for Franky.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Dragonball timeskip is maybe the best timeskip in Shonen? I might be missing out on some earlier work that tried something similiar but I gotta think that DB's first timeskip (and then second timeskip an arc later) is what made them such a common thing in shonen, because it just worked so well.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I look forward to the new One Piece chapter every second of my life, but that run from Water 7 to Marineford is the best the manga has ever been. I have a very hard time putting it down if I get around to rereading it.

It's impressive how long Oda was able to keep the wheels of Wano going for, all the way back from Punk Hazard, and while he didn't completely stick the landing, it was a great arc and I'm glad we've got a brand new, fresh story ready and waiting.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the praying to ??god?? as luffy is diving into the giant thunder orb immediately before breaking it apart really stuck with me on a recent reread. that sure is some foreshadowing. another thing I noticed, during the big campfire end-of-arc party:

this beat is going for the whole dance scene, and then, 700 chapters later, luffy is fighting kaido:

is that the same rhythm? that fine, fine freedom god beat??

i think i've mentioned this before but it gets under my skin a little that the narrative weight is placed on pedro last there. it's implied that its bc he's the only one who is dead among those listed, but at the time of luffy saying this he should think that kinemon is dead and also pedro hardly has a relationship with kaido and his conquering of wano

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

tbp posted:

i think i've mentioned this before but it gets under my skin a little that the narrative weight is placed on pedro last there. it's implied that its bc he's the only one who is dead among those listed, but at the time of luffy saying this he should think that kinemon is dead and also pedro hardly has a relationship with kaido and his conquering of wano

Jack destroyed almost all of Zou because they refused to betray the Kozuki's by handing over Raizo. I'd say Pedro has some relationship with Wano and the Beast Pirates.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Crosspeice posted:

I look forward to the new One Piece chapter every second of my life, but that run from Water 7 to Marineford is the best the manga has ever been. I have a very hard time putting it down if I get around to rereading it.

It's impressive how long Oda was able to keep the wheels of Wano going for, all the way back from Punk Hazard, and while he didn't completely stick the landing, it was a great arc and I'm glad we've got a brand new, fresh story ready and waiting.

Yeah, that stretch is just peak shonen. New World is by no stretch bad, it's just not hitting the like 3 years of peaks all those arcs were hitting.

I really hope we are going into something similar, that Wano is meant to be the Water 7 of the backhalf and now we're getting a string of shorter arcs as we approach the final war.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think pre-timeskip is currently the better half, mostly because Oda was sprinkling the world building and backstory spices into the story dough. Post-timeskip he's just been saturating the arcs with them while pouring in all the ideas he has about the arc. Post-timeskip is still fantastic, but arcs definitely feel like there's a lot of fat that could have been cut.

It does all feel like once we read the final chapter with our grandkids, all the extra stuff pushed into the post-timeskip arcs will have been necessary. Just that, quite understandably, Oda didn't quite have the overall ratio of current story/world building/backstory quite right from the start. Probably because over the quarter century of working on One Piece he's come up with more cool stuff that didn't fit in at the beginning, or he didn't think of until like a decade ago.

JuniperCake posted:

Jack destroyed almost all of Zou because they refused to betray the Kozuki's by handing over Raizo. I'd say Pedro has some relationship with Wano and the Beast Pirates.

Pedro is the in universe version of ADTRW Gin. Like, yeah I can see how the Minks would be all WWPD, but to Luffy and everyone else he's just a cool dude who showed up briefly and then went out with a bang. Pell's pre-retcon'd death was way more impactful.

Luffy should have final punched Kaido for being mean to O-Tama. The most grave of all sins.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Waffleman_ posted:

E: wait poo poo the island of God Valley got just disappeared after the incident did Im do a hat laser on it
I'm skeptical that God Valley got nuked, since it was recently brought up in a meeting with many vice admirals.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I really prefer pre-timeskip One piece art.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pre-timeskip One Piece has better and more frequent emotional payoffs, but I really like the way post-timeskip One Piece emphasizes the scale of the story.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Skypeia through Eneis Lobby was such an incredibly good run that it’s almost impossible for One Piece to ever be better post-timeskip, so I don’t feel like that’s a fair comparison.

Overall, post timeskip’s big issue to me is that the panels are just so busy. Tons of stuff crammed into every page and it’s become fairly hard for me to parse at times. I didn’t care for this arc or for fishman island, but they were necessary and I’m hoping the next arc is more fun. Waiting patiently.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The art also became more rough, almost sketch like in a lot of panels.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

The art also became more rough, almost sketch like in a lot of panels.

This is good tho imo, the art conveys flow and emotion a lot better now and feels more natural.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

YggdrasilTM posted:

I really prefer pre-timeskip One piece art.

I miss Robin's nose.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

They’re just different imo . . . Pre time skip was closer to a novel and post time skip is closer to an epic.

Writing a novel wins you a yearly prize, but writing an epic brings you into the discussion of best ever status.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bisse posted:

This is good tho imo, the art conveys flow and emotion a lot better now and feels more natural.

Nah.
It's just messy and unpleasant .

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i feel like the current art style is how oda manages to cram that much art into a single week of his life to keep up with the density.

the density i think is fine. the busyness does kind of suck, but it allows oda to cram in so many little character interactions per chapter and do his usual 2/3x cut per chapter which allows him to keep arc pace up while focusing on all the strawhats. this is sort of a problem oda drew himself into a corner on by making so many pivotal characters, but it also makes the entire series *feel* more epic than most manga. which makes sense! it is an epic.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I think ya'll crazy. Wano didn't stick the landing, but I thought when they were fighting the two emperors it was hitting nearly as well as Marinefold. I don't think I've read a comic that does mutli-person battles as well as Oda handles em'. The dance of characters that fight Kaido up until it's 1v1 is just beautiful to behold, as was how he separated Big Mom and allowed Law and Kidd to shine.

Along with multi-person battles, he also juggles power levels *exceptionally* well. Said this before, but pre-skip the crew is generally hitting above their weight, mostly only inconvenienced by devil fruit quirks (besides the big bads) and only really gets their rear end handed to em' in Sabody. Even post skip, it's been neat seeing how earned a lot of the power ups have felt, vs., say, DBZ where kids suddenly can fuse together and for reasons are now the ultimate power.

Last Celebration posted:

Really? I’d personally say that the timeskip was one of the least superfluous in all of Shonen, because the idea of the protagonists not being strong enough to handle the trials ahead was being built up to for like six years, and the vast leap in power/ability felt way more long-term and significant than something like Dragonball/Naruto where they spent three years training just to be weaker than the current new threat.

Also there’s the big thing of the world itself having changed significantly due to fallout of Marineford. But then imho the postskip designs generally barely changed except for Franky.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
No word on whether these One Piece Vans sneakers will allow you to kick so fast your legs catch on fire.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The best One Piece arcs are the ones that don't pause fights to ram 50 chapters of tragic backstory down your throat.

The World Inferno posted:

DBZ where kids suddenly can fuse together and for reasons are now the ultimate power.

DB Super has gotten stupid with this poo poo. Frieza rocks up in the latest chapter, announces he's been training off screen ~magically for 10 years~ and proceeds to clown on everyone.

It's just a never ending treadmill of power-ups with no story pay off.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Infinitum posted:

The best One Piece arcs are the ones that don't pause fights to ram 50 chapters of tragic backstory down your throat.

Chopper's flashback ending with Luffy's punch knocking Wapol the gently caress out owns, sorry.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
everyone was mad at wano for not having a tragic kaido flashback before luffy punched him out

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
dire-rear end break week

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Break out the emergency One Piece Neck Tier list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1E814kPzHw

Infinitum posted:

It's just a never ending treadmill of power-ups with no story pay off.

This what's historically made me somewhat anime-averse. Fell off reading Bleach and Naruto for the same reason that every fight started to feel by-the-numbersy, and the main threads weren't interesting enough to keep up with. We're 1060 chapters in and just meeting Vegapunk(?). OP still rules.

I also think everyone's down on Wano cause we spent so much time there, but on re-read it'll probably flow better. Dressrosa felt annoyingly long when reading it live, but on a re-read it wasn't really that bad. Cumulated in our crew getting a literal armada too, which felt like a great payoff for having met so many quirky dudes in the colosseum. Wano feels likewise reasonably long, given it was our boy getting the crown of an Emperor of the Sea. Just my two cents.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 3, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

i did just re-read a bunch of wano recently & the bloat really starts to set in with the second act, there's just a whole lot of fairly extraneous subplots like big mom having amnesia, law's crew getting captured by hawkins & then law himself gets captured, even the luffy prison training arc is a bit more than it needed to be

it's the longest arc in the manga by a large margin at 149 chapters - even water 7 + enies lobby, which actually justified its length, was only ~120 all-up

lih fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 3, 2022

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also the conclusion of the Kaidou fight just isn't as good as Luffy vs. Katakuri's conclusion, imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WCI island is as good as any arc in the series imo, though it is a bit long.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

lih posted:

it hasn't been bad just feels like it could really use an editor to look over the draft outlines of each arc and tighten things up

This is the big reason I believe. The newer editors are probably too scared/don't want to tell Oda to change things (agravated by them probably being fans of the series before they got to edit it), leading to a Star Wars prequel situation where Oda crams in every idea he has, without anyone to say no to him.

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah i would expect something like that is the case

whole cake was very good though, the only bit that felt a bit drawn out was the escape at the end iirc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Chopper's flashback ending with Luffy's punch knocking Wapol the gently caress out owns, sorry.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Scallop Eyes posted:

This is the big reason I believe. The newer editors are probably too scared/don't want to tell Oda to change things (agravated by them probably being fans of the series before they got to edit it), leading to a Star Wars prequel situation where Oda crams in every idea he has, without anyone to say no to him.
Unlike with Lucas, basically all of Oda's ideas are good as is though, so while some fat trimming wouldn't hurt, it's just a matter of pacing rather than quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I have strong preferences between pre and post TS op but actually drawing the series on a weekly schedule for 25 years is completely crazy. I can't think of anyone who has worked this hard at anything for this long and it's something where he's held accountable by millions of people for every decision he makes. Even if I like some older chapters the most the whole thing is just kind of increasingly impressive as it goes on.