Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Calidus posted:

Aren’t UPS still lead acid batteries? I wonder how much BOM overlap they have with Lithium.

Edit: this Ego news makes me sad I bought a select cut xp in the spring and I really like it. I wish Dewalt would just but out a good mower.

Yeah good point. Some are starting to offer lithium batteries but yes most are lead acid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trabant posted:

Holy poo poo, that's it! Thank you, that is almost certainly the stupid thing.

The bad news is that the process is... well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vqYrj-37C8

I suppose you can instead build the back of the box from a couple of laminated strips and create a gap for the hinge/spring that way instead of creating a kerf with some super-thin blade. Still, that's way more fiddly than anything I was hoping to do.

I also found this on the Craft Inc. site:

which might be attached to the box and lid using screws instead?
Those first ones might be made to fit in a biscuit joiner slot

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

After years of “drop it off at the service center/store that sold it to you for replacement” from every other tool company, no way I’d put up with that. I dunno if I’d even have the patience to troubleshoot with them on the phone , it seems a little insulting

It is and it's very obviously a tactic to try and get people to give up on using the warranty because they do not make the troubleshooting or test documentation available anywhere, nor will they give it to you.

They also don't document anything you tell them on the phone so even after wasting your time with the test, when you call them back next time they'll just tell you to do it again!

Finally, there are no pass/fail numbers for these tests. It's a huge grey area they use to say their failing batteries are actually fine. I asked what an acceptable or failing number would be for their runtime test and they wouldn't tell me until after I provided how long my battery lasted. Gee, what a surprise when I told them my number and they said my battery passed. :rolleyes: There are stories online of people saying their battery lasts 20 minutes under no load and customer service reps saying that's acceptable :lol:

For comparisons sake, for Milwaukee who I've RMAed a battery and two tools with, it's as easy as submitting a request on their website, and then dropping the tool off at FEDEX and waiting for a fix/replacement. Even during the height of the pandemic it only took 2 weeks for a repair.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 28, 2022

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm wanting an electric pruning saw for taking care of branches (not a pole saw). I was all set on the Milwaukee 12v (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...27-21/313505705) but have come across a Ryobi one (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-8-in-Cordless-Battery-Pruning-Chainsaw-Tool-Only-P5452BTL/314799961) now and I'm kind of torn.

The Milwaukee is a 6" vs the Ryobi 8". I kind of like the idea of smaller for small branches as it might be easier to use and get into tighter spots.

I've already got a bunch of Milwaukee 12v stuff so I have batteries but I also have a Ryobi 18v sprayer so I have a battery there as well.

Thoughts/recommendations? (If Dewalt would just make one all my problems would be solved but that doesn't seem to be happening)

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

wandler20 posted:

I'm wanting an electric pruning saw for taking care of branches (not a pole saw). I was all set on the Milwaukee 12v (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...27-21/313505705) but have come across a Ryobi one (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-8-in-Cordless-Battery-Pruning-Chainsaw-Tool-Only-P5452BTL/314799961) now and I'm kind of torn.

The Milwaukee is a 6" vs the Ryobi 8". I kind of like the idea of smaller for small branches as it might be easier to use and get into tighter spots.

I've already got a bunch of Milwaukee 12v stuff so I have batteries but I also have a Ryobi 18v sprayer so I have a battery there as well.

Thoughts/recommendations? (If Dewalt would just make one all my problems would be solved but that doesn't seem to be happening)

I use a Milwaukee m18 hackzall for this on ~4 acres and it works a treat. fresh pruning blades are cheap, and seem to last about forever anyway. Plus, you change the blade and you've got a great little hacksaw for any other material you might need to get through, I use mine for plumbing and electrical conduit, demo, everything. I expect the m12 fuel is just as good, and equally capable in tight spots.

e: also WAY easier to deal with around fences, I'll fell anything in a fencerow up to about 8 inches with the hackzall rather than accidentally cook my chain on the woven wire.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Captain Organ posted:

I use a Milwaukee m18 hackzall for this on ~4 acres and it works a treat. fresh pruning blades are cheap, and seem to last about forever anyway. Plus, you change the blade and you've got a great little hacksaw for any other material you might need to get through, I use mine for plumbing and electrical conduit, demo, everything. I expect the m12 fuel is just as good, and equally capable in tight spots.

e: also WAY easier to deal with around fences, I'll fell anything in a fencerow up to about 8 inches with the hackzall rather than accidentally cook my chain on the woven wire.

Hmm, I already have the M12 hackzall. Recommendation on a good pruning blade? Might as well try that first.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Milwaukee and Diablo make fine ones I have used. Just walk into home Depot and buy something labeled pruning and you'll be fine. A wood blade will do in a pinch too.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Is the DeWalt 12" XR chainsaw too big? If you're using it one-handed over your head, just get a pole saw. Which everyone makes.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Those first ones might be made to fit in a biscuit joiner slot

I thought so too but the blades they sell for this purpose are ridiculously thin: 0.022" to 0.046". I don't think any biscuit joiner gets even close.

Just to wrap up this stupid pursuit: I asked the manufacturer about the other version:

And they responded with:

quote:

This hinge is designed for metal boxes. These are the same hinges used for boxes for rings or earrings. They are designed for metal boxes. The shell (top and bottom are stamped out of a strip of steel.. Once stamped it then goes into another operation where prongs are pierced into the back of the box so that the hinge can be inserted and the prongs bent over. This hinge gives the same appearance and function as a kerf hinge but is applied completely different.

So, at least for me, this pretty much means I'll go back to using regular hinges.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Trabant posted:

I thought so too but the blades they sell for this purpose are ridiculously thin: 0.022" to 0.046". I don't think any biscuit joiner gets even close.

Just to wrap up this stupid pursuit: I asked the manufacturer about the other version:

And they responded with:

So, at least for me, this pretty much means I'll go back to using regular hinges.

Maybe a dumb idea, but that thickness is in the ballpark of my crappy thread guage, and I have (ab)used it as a tiny, crappy handsaw on occasion!
Plus, comes with 52 "blades" for :10bux:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just make sure it's along the grain, sharpen the edge of the hinge and hammer it in

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Does the slot have to be that narrow? It wasn't in the video posted which looks basically like a slot mortiser (ie a horizontal router). Could you not just make a slot with a 1/8" router bit and then for the spring recess drill a hole and then chisel the corners into a square?

*Edit* Apparently 1/16 router bits are a thing too?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Uncle Enzo posted:

Is the DeWalt 12" XR chainsaw too big? If you're using it one-handed over your head, just get a pole saw. Which everyone makes.

I have that and yeah, it's a pain to use for cutting up small branches. I have a pole saw as well and it does that function great but again, useless for breaking down branches.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

I talked my father in law into buying me a $200 Masterforce (Menards high end house brand) track saw, since it will make our shed door project a lot easier. Will hopefully come back with a trip report in a few days.

Neither of us had any person experience with a track saw to compare it to, but we did 10 cuts on 4 pieces of sheet goods and it was pretty drat great, super straight cuts and super easy to set each cut up. Loud as hell but I think that's just physics. For $200 I can't complain. I'm not sure if it's compatible with a festool or Makita track if I wanted to upgrade. It's got 110 inches of track but in four pieces, so there's opportunity for a cut to get not straight if you're not careful enough.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wandler20 posted:

I have that and yeah, it's a pain to use for cutting up small branches. I have a pole saw as well and it does that function great but again, useless for breaking down branches.

Just get a Fiskars. They're very efficient.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Mr. Mambold posted:

Just get a Fiskars. They're very efficient.

For sure and I have one. Works great for taking off small branches off a larger branch still connected to a tree. Not so great for breaking down already cut branches, which is what I'm having issues with finding a useful tool.

Going to try the hackzal with pruning blade next time I'm out at the lake. I do appreciate all the recommendations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I keep putting off buying a table saw, I can’t quite see myself using it enough to justifying purchasing one. I gave up on fixing up old one and broke even reselling it. Menards has a 10” Rikon for less than 1k after rebate. Other options seem to be save up for SawStop or buy the delta contractor saw from Lowes. Is this Rikon really that much better than the Delta?

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...37277164170.htm

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

phones are stupid

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Am I nuts or is Rikon like Amazon's house brand of power tool?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Literally A Person posted:

Never heard of their table saws but Lee Valley carries their lathes I think. And maybe bandsaws? I thought they were fairly well regarded.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm sure that all the woodworking shows I see on pbs the guys are using a bunch of rikon stuff.

I guess that's a good endorsement?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've got Rikon's benchtop Deluxe 10" Bandsaw, and it's great. It's quiet, blade runs true, lots of adjustability and quality of life features. Big fan of Rikon so far.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

No, they're pretty legit. I think they used to primarily manufacture tools for other brands? I have an old 10" bandsaw from them that was primarily branded Craftsman.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Interesting. Thanks, goons.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Captain Organ posted:

One wee problem with the M12 Fuel - if it binds in a cut the battery can pop out. Real pain in the arse if you're up in the tree. Trick is to pay attention so you don't bind the blade and carry a spare battery in your pocket so you don't have to climb down and back up to complete the cut. I love it though, definitely a great tool when you're cutting one handed.

I've got the Lee Valley pruning blade but honestly I don't think it's much of an improvement over a good quality reno blade.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
anybody bother re-greasing their power tools? i'm debating whether its worth it to void the warranty on my dewalt driver to open it up and re-grease it

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Rockler and woodcraft seem to offer residential delivery with a lift gate. Would I need anything more than a dolly, straps and hand tools to get a proper saw setup in my garage?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Look at the weight of the tool and assume that the thing is strapped to a pallet on the street next to the curb of your house. Are you going to be able to transfer it to a dolly? Can you make the transition onto your driveway (etc) over whatever bumps?

If your driveway is clear before the driver arrives and you can flag them in you can get lucky and have them drop it as far back as they can reverse in, but I am serious about it being a lucky thing. You need to be ready and catch them before they start unloading. They might also be willing to pallet jack it to your garage even if they don't park on your driveway but it's not guaranteed. :10bux: :10bux: might help your case.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If a tool can be wired 110 or 220, if I have the supply in my shop, is there any reason not to wire it up 220?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

If a tool can be wired 110 or 220, if I have the supply in my shop, is there any reason not to wire it up 220?

Nope.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Maybe you hate torque and softer starts?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I love torque and softer starts. They are my children. Honestly though this is my first, non-air compressor, 110/220 tool so I'm not really :airquote:in the know:airquote:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Once upon a time I had a dual voltage radial arm saw that I wired to 110 in my old rear end garage. The starts were so lovely that I had to literally make sure nothing else was drawing power in the garage (so no lights, no radio, etc) or it would trip the 15 amp breaker starting up.

Use 220.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Really panel space and outlet availability. If you get another 220v tool in the future are you going to be competing for space?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Look at the weight of the tool and assume that the thing is strapped to a pallet on the street next to the curb of your house. Are you going to be able to transfer it to a dolly? Can you make the transition onto your driveway (etc) over whatever bumps?

If your driveway is clear before the driver arrives and you can flag them in you can get lucky and have them drop it as far back as they can reverse in, but I am serious about it being a lucky thing. You need to be ready and catch them before they start unloading. They might also be willing to pallet jack it to your garage even if they don't park on your driveway but it's not guaranteed. :10bux: :10bux: might help your case.

Hmm yea my driveway is steep and has some bumps. I just watched a guy pull a boxed up Lugna up his driveway with a truck on YouTube…

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Calidus posted:

Hmm yea my driveway is steep and has some bumps. I just watched a guy pull a boxed up Lugna up his driveway with a truck on YouTube…

Link what you're thinking about buying?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you have the supply yeah, go for it. Double the voltage means half the amperage so you can use smaller wire etc. 220 plugs can be much more expensive, depending on the amperage.

Also you probably need to change some wiring in the actual motor, not just swap plugs and plug it into the 220 outlet. There should be a little diagram on the motor nameplate or in the box where the power cord comes in.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Link what you're thinking about buying?

I am flipping flopping between the delta contractor saw, Laguna Fusion F1/F2 and a contractor SawStop.

I can buy the Delta it’s enough saw for everything I can do right now and it fits in the garage against the wall when the car is inside. The Fusion especially the F2 is realistically enough saw until I die. I have spent enough time in manufacturing environments that’s not buying a SawStop just seems dumb.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you have the supply yeah, go for it. Double the voltage means half the amperage so you can use smaller wire etc. 220 plugs can be much more expensive, depending on the amperage.

Also you probably need to change some wiring in the actual motor, not just swap plugs and plug it into the 220 outlet. There should be a little diagram on the motor nameplate or in the box where the power cord comes in.

Yeah, luckily the motor still has the little plate with the wiring diagram. Bad boy is an antique af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Calidus posted:

I am flipping flopping between the delta contractor saw, Laguna Fusion F1/F2 and a contractor SawStop.

I can buy the Delta it’s enough saw for everything I can do right now and it fits in the garage against the wall when the car is inside. The Fusion especially the F2 is realistically enough saw until I die. I have spent enough time in manufacturing environments that’s not buying a SawStop just seems dumb.

I'd get the sawstop, and I'd mostly stay away from lower end Laguna stuff besides bandsaws. Not that it's necessarily bad, but it's basically Grizzly-tier with shinier paint and knobs and a few bells and whistles for usually a much higher price and Laguna is IME kind of difficult with regards to parts etc. where Grizzly is very easy in that regard.

E: as far as moving any of the above though, two reasonably strong guys should be able to get a table saw from street to garage no problem. It'll be way easier if you have some dollies or pipes or something to roll it along, but you could drag it if you really had to. It's usually pretty easy to pull the motor if you're comfortable with that kind of thing and that saves a ton of weight.

E2: Sawstop will also hold it's used value better than the others IMO if you want to upgrade down the line.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 3, 2022