Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

As for Josuke fixing his liver… :shrug:

Maybe he had 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It feels like Araki couldn't ever figure out a meaningful reason for the Rokakaka or the Rock Men, so after we resolve Gappy's mysterious past with the big Vitamin C fight and the flashback-fight-within-the-fight, the story kind of flounders. In another timeline where Jojolion was structured somewhat differently, the Rock Doctors would've been a cool way to mirror Jobin's harsh ambition putting his family at risk, and you could've contrasted that with Gappy valuing Yasuho and Holly to the point he was willing to sacrifice himself.

Wonder Of U is a great Stand but Tooru is the weakest antagonist in the whole series and I don't think it's particularly close. Kars? Diavolo? Kars has a good buildup and a fantastic climax scene. Diavolo doesn't show up properly until very late but is the objective nearly right from the start and has the mid-point encounter with Bruno. Tooru just kind of... shows up, and there's no real weight underlying his involvement with the Rokakaka.

The unorthodox Jojolion fights are among its best ones. Shakedown Road, Beetle Tendency, and Milagro Man are all memorable. I hope with JOJOLANDS Araki leans further into that style.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I've been doing a revisit of JoJolion every once in awhile and, at the point I'm at now, been enjoying it when it's not breaking my brain. The dripfeed of info and hints is actually pretty compelling, leaving aside where any of it goes, and Araki's having fun playing w expectations and established lore. I think ppl are onto something w Josuke being like Giorno, an outsider whose golden heart is quickly apparent but who has to assimilate into a family who don't immediately trust him. The simple fact that the early narrative revolves around learning about him is the main difference, but the course of their journey plays out similarly, too; demonstrating heroism as their resolve changes the fortunes of their found family members. It just happens more gradually in pt 8, whereas it feels practically overnight in Vento Aureo(which is fine and cool.)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The only thing I'm confused about is how Josuke fixed his liver. I know Josefumi has a grafting ability, but Josuke didn't know about that power, right?

Honestly, I'm not really sure what Soft and Wet does anymore. It just seems to be regular soap bubbles at this point?

That wasn't a grafting ability, he just knew how to graft plants as a horticultural thing. In terms of the liver the bubbles can physically push objects so Josuke might have moved it back into place so it could re-fuse when Vitamin C was deactivated

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
He used his stand to remove the property of "needing a functioning liver" from himself

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh right Jojolands is happening maybe

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

until i see an official announcement on something i'm prepared to just assume part 8 is the last one

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What are you guys talking about it's officially confirmed?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i kinda don't put much stock into 'something is in the works' until literally anything is shown off

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Araki has said he's working on part 9, I don't see why he'd lie

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Jojolands is just the pre release name. It already leaked that the real name will be Jojomama

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Araki forgot about Part 9

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be real, the dude is old and i would 100% not begrudge him one bit if he just up and said one day 'actually i'm no longer creating manga for my own health' because if there's anything we've learned it's that that sort of poo poo can burn out a person's soul way too soon

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah i wouldn't mind if part 9 was the last tbh

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Part 9 should just be fifty chapters

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Part 9 of CDDH is out.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

to be real, the dude is old

???? Araki is 62.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

This is gonna go for another volume or two isn't it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

YggdrasilTM posted:

???? Araki is 62.

If he wants to keep drawing til he croaks I'm totally down but 62 is a perfectly reasonable time to start planning for retirement

E: actual retirement not jojo retirement

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

???? Araki is 62.
You know that’s just a year or two off from retirement age in most countries right?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The only thing I'm confused about is how Josuke fixed his liver. I know Josefumi has a grafting ability, but Josuke didn't know about that power, right?

Don’t worry about it, it’s fine

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bisse posted:

You know that’s just a year or two off from retirement age in most countries right?

My expected retirement age is 69.
Also, in general, I have an hard time thinking about someone on their 60 as "old". But that's more on me I suppose.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 3, 2022

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if you've spent like 40 of those years putting out manga, a lot of that on a weekly schedule, then being 62 is a lot. miura died last year at the age of 54. like yeah it's not a 1:1 situation but i don't doubt it shook at least a couple people up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You're telling me the main villain doesn't even show up until literally right before the final 20 chapters of this part? :dogstare:

Also, the Higashikatas are mostly creeps. Norisuke, Hato, and Daiya (after her introductory arc) are all okay right now. And Jobin at least seems like a potentially entertaining villain, maybe. But I would be okay with Joshu and Tsurugi just exiting the manga and only showing up for a splash page at the end.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 3, 2022

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

You're telling me the main villain doesn't even show up until literally right before the final 20 chapters of this part? :dogstare:

Also, the Higashikatas are mostly creeps. Norisuke, Hato, and Daiya (after her introductory arc) are all okay right now. And Jobin at least seems like a potentially entertaining villain, maybe. But I would be okay with Joshu and Tsurugi just exiting the manga and only showing up for a splash page at the end.

I had no idea the comic was ending until they announced that there was only a few chapters left. The final battle works better in retrospect but at the time it just didn't feel like we were at the very end. I was still waiting for a twist and the real antagonist to step out from somewhere. And for it to be one of the more established candidates instead of who it actually was.

But disappointments aside, I'll read whatever Araki writes until he decides to stop. I hope he can retire and enjoy life at some point though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There were many people in this thread denying it was the final battle even after it finished.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it's a letdown tbh, but Araki immediately wins your heart back with that amazingly stupid apex predator guardrail

e: also Araki still has over 2 decades before he reaches the forbidden age of [89] and vanishes from existance due to the sheer impossibility, he'll be fine

e2: though tbf I still think the first...half? two thirds? whatever of Jojolion is still Good-rear end Jojo, it's just that it doesn't really go anywhere after that

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 3, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
whoa, stardust crusaders live action movie leak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K8xcwX657w

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wonder of U's power makes no sense. Mitsuba deciding to kill Yasuho (really dick move btw) counts as pursuing Tooru? How? :psyduck:

On that note, I'm surprised there's a part of Jojo where I find most of the cast to be just extremely appalling people.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If you describe them the right way you could probably frame the cast of parts 2-6 as awful people.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Now I want to see the Bluths with stands. Or the cast of Always Sunny

e: George Michael's stand would be 「BIG YELLOW JOINT」 and it'd just be the frozen banana stand

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

bobjr posted:

If you describe them the right way you could probably frame the cast of parts 2-6 as awful people.

part 2? the one with the nazilover jojo? naaahhh

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Now I want to see the Bluths with stands.

Couple of easy ones right there

「Put Your Hand in the Hand」

「Blue」

Wonder of U's power makes no sense. Mitsuba deciding to kill Yasuho (really dick move btw) counts as pursuing Tooru? How? :psyduck:

Probably something along the lines of Tooru hoping to keep Yasuho around since he's groomed her her whole life. I think the weirder thing is what happens in the jail. It may very well just be that Tooru has an incredibly thin sense of what pursuit means, basically attacking anything that in any way inconveniences him.

It'd probably be better if there was more time devoted to it but the impression I got was that Araki just wanted to wrap it up. I wouldn't be surprised if Kentaro Miura's death played into the sudden quick ending but that's completely speculation on my part.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jobin had a really abrupt death. I kinda expected him to do more after all that build-up.

FirstAidKite posted:

Probably something along the lines of Tooru hoping to keep Yasuho around since he's groomed her her whole life. I think the weirder thing is what happens in the jail. It may very well just be that Tooru has an incredibly thin sense of what pursuit means, basically attacking anything that in any way inconveniences him.

I suppose so.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The deaths in the SBR-verse are kind of like that. They just happen suddenly and unspectacularly and the manga doesn’t really dwell on it, to the point where I wasn’t even sure at first if some of them were dead (Hot Pants for example). I think it’s a deliberate choice by Araki though. Death is often swift and unceremonious in real life after all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Joshu was thiiiiiis close to having a good character moment. Just a hair away.

And then he blew it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That was my favorite part, Joshu was a piece of poo poo to the end

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hey, Kei came ba- aaand she's dead. That was fast. :dogstare:

I think Araki is taking Stand battle too literally for this fight where the characters have just been standing in a place for... I've lost track of how many chapters its been now.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If I were Yasuho I also would not want to leave the driveway where I just stopped drowning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That's fair enough, I suppose.

At any rate, the fight is over. I find it kinda funny that Josuke had to develop a brand new power to defeat Tooru and then Caato just comes in and just 52 Card Pickups Tooru to death. :allears:

And then Araki hit me with "Truly, they were... a Jojolion." Also, Wonder of U came back to life... just to immediately die again? I'm not even sure what the point of that was.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 4, 2022