Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Everyone please read Johnny Mnemonic. It's short and very good

e: for added fun try to think about encountering it in 1981

a kitten fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth Walrus posted:

Akudama Drive is another fun, stylish recent cyberpunk show.

Yeah, Akudama Drive is a good pairing--it's fun and stylish but also not much more forgiving than Edgerunners.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont see it being that different from the game. The only difference is that the mental issues of the characters and the stress that puts on them is presented visually in the show versus the game's cybersycho missions usually presenting the inciting incident for their madness through message shards and texting with Regina.

In the show Maine is clearly having issues with his implants but I'd say the underlying stress for him is caring too much about his crew and being overprotective of people like Dorio and David. David starts to lose it after his parental figures are lost and inadvertently traumatize him in the process. And everyone telling him he can only trust himself probably instills more than a little paranoia.

"Trust only yourself, but also try to save everyone else" is a catastrophic cocktail once you factor in military grade hardware.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 4, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Larry Parrish posted:

maxtac is what police wish they were and section 9 is what people wish the police were

:acab:

Stand Alone Complex is still a great show notwithstanding.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Much as GITS is a good show yeah, Section 9 is still scummy and do extra judicial killings if it furthers the security interests of Japan. The individual members of the task force may occasionally doubt their roles but they still do their jobs and their jobs involve protecting government interests while justifying themselves by pointing fingers at the screwed up nature of everyone on the other side of the border. There's some definite paranoia going on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CDPR is developing a sequel to 2077

What have we done

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Missed out on more than one expansion pack DLC.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm not sure I can forgive Edgerunners for gaslighting people into thinking 2077 deserves to exist, and isn't a blatant scam job for which CDPR ought to have been sued until nothing but rubble remained

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay then.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Arc Hammer posted:

You underestimate the power of lovely dubbing technology. Also isn't that the OVA that suggested the bad guys were being controlled by an international Jewish conspiracy or am I mixing it up with another 90s schlock job?

I thought they were communists?

*looks it up*

Hahaha it looks like they changed the Jewish Bankers to just "Americans" in the Dub. Quite possibly the only improvement that dub made, and I'm a dub guy.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

I'm not sure I can forgive Edgerunners for gaslighting people into thinking 2077 deserves to exist, and isn't a blatant scam job for which CDPR ought to have been sued until nothing but rubble remained

It's a good game, dude, fuckin relax lol. The only unforgivable thing was the performance on last gen consoles, which is lovely in any context. CDPR shot themselves in the foot by continually comparing it to Witcher 3 storylines & quest structure, but that's about it. It won't ever be the game they promised, but it's still a good game in its own right

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont see it being that different from the game. The only difference is that the mental issues of the characters and the stress that puts on them is presented visually in the show versus the game's cybersycho missions usually presenting the inciting incident for their madness through message shards and texting with Regina.

In the show Maine is clearly having issues with his implants but I'd say the underlying stress for him is caring too much about his crew and being overprotective of people like Dorio and David. David starts to lose it after his parental figures are lost and inadvertently traumatize him in the process. And everyone telling him he can only trust himself probably instills more than a little paranoia.

"Trust only yourself, but also try to save everyone else" is a catastrophic cocktail once you factor in military grade hardware.

Pretty sure the first sign of cyber psychosis in David was when the snuff BD guy dies and David hallucinates him smiling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tabletops posted:

Pretty sure the first sign of cyber psychosis in David was when the snuff BD guy dies and David hallucinates him smiling.

Right, but at that point I feel it was more residuals from being subjected to the XBD.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Flesnolk posted:

It was pretty good op

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It's a good game, dude, fuckin relax lol. The only unforgivable thing was the performance on last gen consoles, which is lovely in any context. CDPR shot themselves in the foot by continually comparing it to Witcher 3 storylines & quest structure, but that's about it. It won't ever be the game they promised, but it's still a good game in its own right
I think the more unforgiveable thing is their inhumane treatment of their developers. It is extremely cyberpunk to be make a game about the abusive corporate exploitation of vulnerable people, uh, exploit and destroy it's own vulnerable people.

I'll second the recommendation of Akudama Drive, which is pretty pro-revolution punk. A brutal police state justifies itself with wall-to-wall copaganda about Akudama/"demon" hypercriminals, inhuman monsters that must be stopped at any cost. An ordinary girl tries to do a very small good deed for someone she doesn't know is a demon, and gets swept up in a purge. To survive, she has to join a gang of criminals who've had their real name stripped from them; they're all just Courier, Brawler, Doctor, Cutthroat, etc.. She doesn't have the desire or ability to commit violence, so she has to pretend to be an unknown criminal, Swindler. In a world built on lies, she has accidentally taken up it's most powerful weapon.

The show starts off loud and silly, and gets heartfelt by the end of it.

The OP is also kicking rad.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'm not gonna comment on how good the game is currently because I have no idea, but there was a hell of a lot more wrong with CP2077 at launch than just the poo poo with the previous gen consoles.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

And yet all of that doesn't mean the anime being good is gaslighting for the game being allowed to exist or whatever insane thing that post was trying to say.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
team "i'll play it in a year when its patched" wins again

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

I'm not gonna comment on how good the game is currently because I have no idea, but there was a hell of a lot more wrong with CP2077 at launch than just the poo poo with the previous gen consoles.

I mean yeah it was hella buggy, but not any more than any Bethesda game at launch. The flak they took for that over any other dev really felt forced to me at the time & still does

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best thing the show did for the game is make people like me aware that a loooooot of work has been put into fixing the game and it is very playable right now. You can't take back a bad launch but I do respect the effort to make repairs. I fell off the hype wagon once the bugs became apparent and the GPU market was swallowed up by crypto miners. The show reminded me of things.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Squidster posted:

I think the more unforgiveable thing is their inhumane treatment of their developers. It is extremely cyberpunk to be make a game about the abusive corporate exploitation of vulnerable people, uh, exploit and destroy it's own vulnerable people.

I'll second the recommendation of Akudama Drive, which is pretty pro-revolution punk. A brutal police state justifies itself with wall-to-wall copaganda about Akudama/"demon" hypercriminals, inhuman monsters that must be stopped at any cost. An ordinary girl tries to do a very small good deed for someone she doesn't know is a demon, and gets swept up in a purge. To survive, she has to join a gang of criminals who've had their real name stripped from them; they're all just Courier, Brawler, Doctor, Cutthroat, etc.. She doesn't have the desire or ability to commit violence, so she has to pretend to be an unknown criminal, Swindler. In a world built on lies, she has accidentally taken up it's most powerful weapon.

The show starts off loud and silly, and gets heartfelt by the end of it.

The OP is also kicking rad.

To be more precise, nobody in the entire cast has a name, and they're all tied to concepts that they choose/are required to embody for good and ill. The 'Akudama Drive' is the simultaneously creative and destructive drive to become more than human in whatever way you see fit.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

To be more precise, nobody in the entire cast has a name, and they're all tied to concepts that they choose/are required to embody for good and ill. The 'Akudama Drive' is the simultaneously creative and destructive drive to become more than human in whatever way you see fit.
Uh, excuse me, Swindler's real name, as seen on her license, is revealed to be Ordinary Person.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Squidster posted:

I'll second the recommendation of Akudama Drive,

This is mildly funny given that animators are notoriously overworked and paid garbage lol

At least game dev pays a lot better

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I played the game briefly a few months ago after finally getting a video card that can run it well. Then I watched Edgerunners and realized Sandevistans exist. Using a Sandy + Mantis Blades to clear an entire room full of guys before they can even get their guns out is incredibly badass.

The show is also really drat good. One of the best anime I've seen this year. I'll probably go back and watch the dub version when I get some time later.

I think ultimately the depiction of cyberpsychosis in the game and the show is pretty similar. It's not so much "too many mods make you go crazy" as it is too many mods combined with social isolation and severe stress can create an unstable killing machine. The main difference is the game gives you a reason to take it easy on them because a character has evidence it can be treated and asks for your help with that. The characters in the show lack that info, and the various ways they deal with cyberpsychosis swing towards tragedy as a result. But nobody expects happy endings in Night City.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Tabletops posted:

This is mildly funny given that animators are notoriously overworked and paid garbage lol

At least game dev pays a lot better
I'm pretty upset about both, if that helps! I would love it if people who work very hard were treated like people, no matter the industry.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I think the people that made good show Edgerunners probably worked very hard to do so and dismissing it because a video game company hosed up a pitch and launch is bad

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flesnolk posted:

i played it for the first time these past few weeks and I gotta say that they really only marketed it poorly beyond the last gen console thing lol. it's a new Deus Ex clone but with mediocre open world and pretty bad driving instead of hub worlds. in that context, it's honestly better than Human Revolution by quite a bit, especially the actual writing and voice direction. combat pwns too. they hosed up really bad by marketing it as an open world RPG- it's not. sort of like if Valve oversold those pretty open highway levels in HL2 as being open world

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Squidster posted:

Uh, excuse me, Swindler's real name, as seen on her license, is revealed to be Ordinary Person.

Ah, a descent of "Pious" Oll Persson

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I beat the game on release on PC and it was pretty much fine. The PS4/Xbox One versions never should've happened though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larry Parrish posted:

i played it for the first time these past few weeks and I gotta say that they really only marketed it poorly beyond the last gen console thing lol. it's a new Deus Ex clone but with mediocre open world and pretty bad driving instead of hub worlds. in that context, it's honestly better than Human Revolution by quite a bit, especially the actual writing and voice direction. combat pwns too. they hosed up really bad by marketing it as an open world RPG- it's not. sort of like if Valve oversold those pretty open highway levels in HL2 as being open world

It's about as much open world as Witcher 3 is (which is to say 'you can explore and do things but there's not emergent gameplay unless there's a quest going on'). That said Night City is my absolute favorite world to just wander around in.

The odd GTA-esque marketing right before the game dropped is definitely a head scratcher. It took a good while before you could have more than one apartment.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

GloomMouse posted:

I think the people that made good show Edgerunners probably worked very hard to do so and dismissing it because a video game company hosed up a pitch and launch is bad

im going to lynch you for not saying cyberpunk 2077 bad

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
ive had this taped to my wall since January 2013 and the fact this wasn't futuristic GTA 6 / Red Dead Redemption 3 means that the Swedish developers (?) studios should be Pearl Harbor'd and/or executed as enemies of the state

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Polish developers.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

i know they probably meant to have it as a sort of tribute to Philip K Dick but still lol that the only time you see it on the show it's just "DICK" on her thigh

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's interesting how the anime treats Cyberpsychosis differently to the game.

Here, it's a more straight laced too much cybershit and you'll go nuts. The game hints that it's absolutely not the case and leaves room for speculation that it's brainjacking.

The show did a decent job suggesting it was the social structure that kept David together for so long, Pondsmith even yakked about it on Twitter I thjnk

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Thundarr posted:

But nobody expects happy endings in Night City.

wym theres robohookers

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I AM BRAWW posted:

i know they probably meant to have it as a sort of tribute to Philip K Dick but still lol that the only time you see it on the show it's just "DICK" on her thigh

It's actually because she's a huge Earthbound fan

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I AM BRAWW posted:

Hey, the “PK” is kinda there too, it’s fine

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Becca is the perfect woman, David was blind to choose Lucy over her

or he never looked down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS