Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Speaking of timelines, is it just me or is it implied that Bites the Dust is teleporting Kira not just back in time, but to another universe/timeline? I could swear I saw a shot or two of a ton of big black spheres that (to me) implied a multiverse. Might've been an anime only thing.
It seems very clear that it is the same timeline, based on the BTD property that ’events that have happened once will always happen’ leading to Kishibe Rohan exploding for no apparent reason because that happened in the previous BTD cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Kira brought Fated Death with him to the new timeline/universe and it applied to Rohan :colbert:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kira brought Fated Death with him to the new timeline/universe and it applied to Rohan :colbert:

You can't do that without bringing the person themselves. An alternate universe Rohan is an entirely different person and thus that [Fate] wouldn't apply to him at all because he never triggered Bites The Dust. You can't really just stick a fate onto someone out of nowhere, well unless you're Literally Jesus I guess.

It's just a normal-rear end timeloop, man.

e: Also I guess Wonder of U can do that too but that's more of a super-magnified bad karma thing? I dunno it's weird. Kira can't do that though, is the point I'm getting at here.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 4, 2022

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Toru, Kira, and Diavolo all just wanted to live quiet lives. Kira works because it was so he could murder women without raising suspicion. Diavolo does not work because living a quiet life and not being observed doesn't make sense for a mob boss. Toru wanted to live a quiet life while also living as an 89 year old hospital director while also researching a magical fruit infused with the power of the body of God made into a Man in the form of Christ our Savior. This somehow still works more than Diavolo.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Toru, Kira, and Diavolo all just wanted to live quiet lives. Kira works because it was so he could murder women without raising suspicion. Diavolo does not work because living a quiet life and not being observed doesn't make sense for a mob boss. Toru wanted to live a quiet life while also living as an 89 year old hospital director while also researching a magical fruit infused with the power of the body of God made into a Man in the form of Christ our Savior. This somehow still works more than Diavolo.

Not really? Diavolo wanted to have all the power and none of the consequences, that's literally what King Crimson does. Hiding his identity was just so nobody could ever do anything to him.

Tooru wanted to get rich and maybe make Rock Humans the dominant species? And creep on Yashuo, that one for sure.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Tooru wanted to destroy the economy with fruit or something.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Tooru wanted to get rich and maybe make Rock Humans the dominant species? And creep on Yashuo, that one for sure.

Part of being rich was him wanting to be famous and if you replace Yasuho with "all women everywhere" he encapsulates the hopes and dreams of the other three doctors

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Toru kind of wanted a family too but also didn't really understand what one was because rock human

It would be an interesting thematic contrast to the protagonist if, y'know, the Higashikata household wasn't a surreal nightmare zone

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

zetamind2000 posted:

Part of being rich was him wanting to be famous and if you replace Yasuho with "all women everywhere" he encapsulates the hopes and dreams of the other three doctors

I still can't get over that one lady being like "Yes, I definitely want to bang that guy that looks like a baby."

Even Jobin was shaken by that one.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is Poor Tom the only Stand user to have outright lied about what his Stand did?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Is Poor Tom the only Stand user to have outright lied about what his Stand did?

The argument can be made for Judgement, Cinderella, and Goo Goo Dolls, since they're more of just lying through omission or lying about the process through which the stand works.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I guess Stands are already complicated enough that you typically don't want the reader to have to worry about the users lying about what they do on top of that

Though I think a super-simple stand that the user pretends has some complex activation condition would be a fun fight

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 5, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Saitamagoated/status/1577728270950596609?t=MwXpCfa2sMmxeftU2IJ1fA&s=19

drat.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

10 years since dio jumped out of that carriage like a majestic moron and captured the hearts of thousands

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

FirstAidKite posted:

The argument can be made for Judgement, Cinderella, and Goo Goo Dolls, since they're more of just lying through omission or lying about the process through which the stand works.

I think Goo Goo Dolls was more the person not really sure what it did and was just kind of assuming it worked like that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/jjba_cursed/status/1577874433028624384

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Weirdness of the arc and Tooru being a dull character aside, Wonder of U was a really cool looking Stand.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 6, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It definitely shows that Araki discovered René Magritte

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i like when it was attacked point blank and the stand was like "oh man lmao i don't even know what's going to happen at this range but it's gonna be insanely bad for you"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Yinlock posted:

i like when it was attacked point blank and the stand was like "oh man lmao i don't even know what's going to happen at this range but it's gonna be insanely bad for you"

Rai grabbing Wonder of U and not killing it before the calamity hit was peak JoBro

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 6, 2022

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Currently thinking about how in Part 3 the introduction of Dio's stand means Dio is freezing time and moving people around and going pack to pose before time resumes and can't loving get how brilliantly stupid it is out of my head

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

zetamind2000 posted:

Rai grabbing Wonder of U and not killing it before the calamity hit was peak JoBro

the greatest calamity at all: being like "don't worry I got this poo poo" to jojo while running at the main villain

Bisse posted:

Currently thinking about how in Part 3 the introduction of Dio's stand means Dio is freezing time and moving people around and going pack to pose before time resumes and can't loving get how brilliantly stupid it is out of my head

the funniest part of the Mario 64 Stairs is that the strict time limit means Dio had to really hoof it to keep moving Polnareff

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 6, 2022

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Oh and currently watching part 5, saw through Green Tea and Sanctuary and had to watch the 30-second punch combo a few times because wow that fucker sure deserved every single second of it.

Part 5 is pretty great, the Italy setting is fantastic and the stands are cool, the cast is great, everything's there on paper, but it's missing something that I can't put my finger on. I think the characters are lacking character more than usual. I miss Okuyasu's dumb face and dumb comments, I miss this like Josuke and Okuyaso going to a restaurant, I miss poo poo like Polnareff's incredibly stupid car chat with so-obviously-not-Jotaro. It's very good at what it does but it feels mostly all business. A main offender for sure is Giorno's character being basically just a plank with a JoJo face drawn on it.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 6, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bisse posted:

Oh and currently watching part 5, saw through Green Tea and Sanctuary and had to watch the 30-second punch combo a few times because wow that fucker sure deserved every single second of it.

Part 5 is pretty great, the Italy setting is fantastic and the stands are cool, the cast is great, everything's there on paper, but it's missing something that I can't put my finger on. I think the characters are lacking character more than usual. I miss Okuyasu's dumb face and dumb comments, I miss this like Josuke and Okuyaso going to a restaurant, I miss poo poo like Polnareff's incredibly stupid car chat with 'Jotaro'. It's very good at what it does but it feels mostly all business. A main offender for sure is Giorno's character being basically just a plank with a JoJo face drawn on it.

IMO Araki didn't really know what to do with Giorno for a good deal of the story(and got distracted by Bruno being way cooler) so he's just kinda there for a good while

Green Day is one of the few times he actually rules on his own merits though.

"I thought you were gonna let me go"
"lmao no"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

You know I just thought of something.

Didn't Araki say once that originally Fugo was planned to be a secret traitor and was gonna turn on the heroes, but he decided that was too depressing and just wrote him out of the story instead?

And Green Day is ALSO a hosed up bioweapon stand that melts people, sorta vaguely like Purple Haze?

...was the Green Day fight recycling ideas from a planned-but-scrapped Fugo vs the Gang fight? It would explain why this dickhead villain of the week earned himself a solid seven pages of punch rush. Like yeah guy was evil af, but Giorno muda-mudaing a former comrade who betrayed them all feels like it would really earn that sort of cathartic beat down.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bisse posted:

Please, for your own sake, don't read my spoiler.

He could have just used The World to move Polnareff down the stairs :(

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah but it's a lot funnier this way

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Yinlock posted:

IMO Araki didn't really know what to do with Giorno for a good deal of the story(and got distracted by Bruno being way cooler) so he's just kinda there for a good while

Green Day is one of the few times he actually rules on his own merits though.

"I thought you were gonna let me go"
"lmao no"

IMO Araki knew what he was doing w Giorno the whole time, considering he contributes to most fights; he was writing his first actual ensemble cast on a journey, and mostly succeeded(wish trish got more time)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

IMO Araki knew what he was doing w Giorno the whole time, considering he contributes to most fights; he was writing his first actual ensemble cast on a journey, and mostly succeeded(wish trish got more time)

I know you're deliberately not counting the Stardust Crusaders but they definitely count : P

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

No Dignity posted:

I know you're deliberately not counting the Stardust Crusaders but they definitely count : P

Nope, I was lol, and...I mean,

Pt 3 is def a step up from 2, which is easily the worst of all JoJo at being an ensemble cast(which has less to do w how good or memorable anybody is than how much 2 never gets away from feeling like the Joseph Joestar show) but like, we see what Araki does when he actually doesn't know what to do w a character, he writes them out, kills them, ignores them entirely,

And 03 writes Abdul out twice, then Kakyoin later, at the same time it adds a crew member who does nothing most fights. Part 3 was more special for its flaws in a lot of ways, but let's be real; poo poo was a whole mess. Buddy was still figuring a lot of things out

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 6, 2022

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Fugo leaving was at least a considered, thematic decision.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
How is 2 the worst at being an ensemble show when I'm pretty sure that's not what it was meant to be anyway, plus you've got Part 1 which is just the Jojo vs Dio show. Part 3 was (or at least felt like) his first real attempt at an ensemble cast, and tbh that experience was great for his writing because every part after has much more cool and interesting characters in the main protagonist & antagonist groups, and he doesn't really do a protag group less than 3 again until Part 7.

Part 7 feels like a bit of part 1 and 2's main character dynamics combined--Jonathan's influence on Jonny is obvious, as is Will's on Gyro, but also the main protags being a pair of talented buddies is very part 2. There isn't the same amount of initial acrimony, or as much of the continued rivalry (and what there is is a lot more good-natured), but their relationship is still a lot closer to Joseph/Caesar than Jonathan/Will or any other in the series.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

How is 2 the worst at being an ensemble show when I'm pretty sure that's not what it was meant to be anyway

Surr it's not trying to be, I just kinda think of it as the inverse to 5's success at writing w this many characters, vis a vis how depsite the ballooning cast, it only ever feels like Joseph's moment, w Ceaser and Lisa Lisa's being so few and far, and it's the part I happen to take most issue w regarding character writing, how the cast is used. The fuckin pillar men are more iconic than anybody close to the protag, and it flat out sucks how it goes down w Lisa Lisa, not "drat, they did him like that? Eh, comics, i get it", it just sucks.

No disrespect, love pt 2(def less than 5 thoo)

Prt 7 is such a different thing than anything that came before. The conspiracy narrative, all the repeated recurring characters and moving parts. Everything around the stand fights in 7 is so much more interesting.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 6, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pootybutt posted:

Fugo leaving was at least a considered, thematic decision.

araki himself said it was a spur-the-moment thing because fugo being a traitor would've been a downer

e: a traitor to the traitors, i mean

a Double Traitor

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 6, 2022

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Yinlock posted:

araki himself said it was a spur-the-moment thing because fugo being a traitor would've been a downer

e: a traitor to the traitors, i mean

a Double Traitor

It's a downer bc he's writing a story about brotherhood and golden hearts and rising up out of darkness, whatever road he was envisioning that leads to fugo betraying them bad enough to get 7 page muda'd was just too dark and cynical for him. You have to understand that mindset he was in to really get pt 5, I think, it doesn't just color that one choice w Fugo, but everything.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 6, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I totally understand him turning back on that decision. But it would've fit so well, especially since he was trying to tell a mafia story. That would've been a perfect plot beat! But oh well woulda coulda shoulda

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

But then we would never have gotten the Fugo novel

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sounds like ... equivalent exchange

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Equivalent exchange wasn't guiding concept in the original continuity. Crazy Diamond and particularly Golden Wind's powers were all about positive sum games, it was only in SBR Araki really zeroed in on 'you can't get something for nothing' as a main theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
nono, I'm talking about real life. Araki traded fugo's 7 page muda for a light novel