Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the shifting artstyle has to do with it too, like, Zoro and Luffy used to be pretty lanky and sorta CLAMP-like but now there's a lot more muscular and Zoro's gotten a lot beefier. Hell even Ussop has abs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
For a dude who only appears in one short arc, and isn't even in most of the latter half of the arc, Tonjit and his horse are actually pretty funny and Oda gets good gags out of them.

The first image in particular is a page just fuckin' chock full of gags. Thanks, Ussop, so glad you're here to be the straight man, glad you'll always be with the crew forever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
If we're still giving our post-time skip hot takes, mine's that these past arcs have been more focused on issues you can't fix just by punching the bad guy at the head of the bad crew really hard, but instead more systematic issues brought on by a broken and corrupt government and all that jazz. But sometimes it just doesn't mesh well with a genre almost solely dedicated to punching people really hard to solve all of your problems.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nuebot posted:

If we're still giving our post-time skip hot takes, mine's that these past arcs have been more focused on issues you can't fix just by punching the bad guy at the head of the bad crew really hard, but instead more systematic issues brought on by a broken and corrupt government and all that jazz. But sometimes it just doesn't mesh well with a genre almost solely dedicated to punching people really hard to solve all of your problems.

Sometimes, the answer is to become so big that other people want to come punch you and inadvertently fix your issues for you, and you can punch them after they fix things.

See: Aramaki coming to Wano to punch Luffy, only to end up re-foresting Wano and partially healing the damage that Kaido and Orochi did to it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sometimes you go to an island to get back your cook and in the process you outwit and overcome one of the strongest pirate crews in the seas and beat up a super strong guy, and all that's stuff's ok but the main hook of the arc is saving your chef and helping him deal with family drama. And all those personal moments land even better than the beating up people parts.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Everyone else here has detailed takes on the post time skip arcs involving plot and pacing and I don’t think I saw anyone else complain that the art is too busy and hard to parse, so maybe I need to prioritize going to the optometrist. It’s been like a decade since my last check so maybe I need bifocal lenses.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I’d argue the opposite.

By coming into each land and causing chaos by punching hard , Luffy fixes the problem by completely upending the status quo and letting a change happen.

A lot of the awful things happening in the story are because people didn’t want to cause chaos and unintentionally kept perpetuating the issue because they thought a more considered response was necessary. They were afraid what would happen if the balance of power was disrupted and as a result you have whole islands where civil wars are started or people are turned into toys with no one jumping in to stop it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Everyone else here has detailed takes on the post time skip arcs involving plot and pacing and I don’t think I saw anyone else complain that the art is too busy and hard to parse, so maybe I need to prioritize going to the optometrist. It’s been like a decade since my last check so maybe I need bifocal lenses.

Nah I agree with you on this. I think post time skip he tries to cram in way too much detail which is impressive but it's often hard to follow.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 4, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't have detailed takes, I have defanged tastes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I just assumed either everyone felt that way and said nothing, or I was dumb and said nothing out of embarrassment. Because some of the more recent fights have been hard to track.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Oda horror vacui has consistently got worse.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Silver2195 posted:

I do sometimes think the power gap between pre- and post- timeskip characters is a little too large; it makes characters like Lucci, Crocodile, and most of the Vice Admirals feel unimportant in the grand scheme of things to a slightly jarring degree. At the very least there should be fewer Vice Admirals, or maybe explicit sub-ranks for them along the lines of the old Royal Navy's Vice-Admirals of the Red, White, and Blue in real life.

Edit: How are there are over 20 named Vice Admirals and only 7 named Rear Admirals (5 of which are so minor I would be surprised if anyone in this thread remembers them without looking them up)?
The power gap between pre and post TS is imo not really that big a deal outside of the pacifista thing. And weirdly enough we're coming to the end of post-TS and one of the big threats is... stronger pacifistas.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I like that a lot of characters have levelled their strength in line with Luffy’s own growth - makes the world feel a lot more realistic and almost as if the actions of Luffy and Law and other worst-gen players has given old characters the drive to git gud again (Crocodile most obvious example)… Would really love Smoker to come back this arc, hopefully after spending some time lifting at the same gym as the admirals lol

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just want Tashigi to kick Zolo's poo poo in, proper. I don't care if Vegapunk has to give her a Raiden-esque full cyborg conversion. Just make it happen.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Caidin posted:

I just want Tashigi to kick Zolo's poo poo in, proper. I don't care if Vegapunk has to give her a Raiden-esque full cyborg conversion. Just make it happen.

This just made me imagine an AMV of Luffy vs Kaido with "It Has To Be This Way" playing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Asuron posted:

I’d argue the opposite.

By coming into each land and causing chaos by punching hard , Luffy fixes the problem by completely upending the status quo and letting a change happen.

A lot of the awful things happening in the story are because people didn’t want to cause chaos and unintentionally kept perpetuating the issue because they thought a more considered response was necessary. They were afraid what would happen if the balance of power was disrupted and as a result you have whole islands where civil wars are started or people are turned into toys with no one jumping in to stop it.

It is interesting how Luffy's protagonist heroics are fundamentally different than the norm in myth/folklore/literature/entertainment. Normally the hero comes in, defeats the evil tyrant, and then fixes everything because they are on a mission from Good or turn out to be the mythic Philosopher King. Luffy instead is interested only in facilitating the people fixing their own problems, and is uncaring of what the people finally decide is right. As long as there is a party and his new friend(s) are fine he doesn't care if the people reinstate the monarchy or form a communist collective.

The lie of benevolent outside actors with no alternative agenda or expectation is made true in our Straw Boy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
One of the funniest things to me about the Davy Back Fight is Nami consistently getting clowned on by the Foxy Crew's MC dude throughout the matches for not putting up with Foxy's silly attempts at sabotage and for suggesting the Forbidden Strategy.

Nami might be somewhat naive to the rules of the Davy Back Game but she ain't no fool!

There's just something hilarious about a guy mournfully asking Nami if she's forgotten what it means to trust when his boss is repeatedly trying to trick her into losing.

The funniest part about this is that even Zoro, who's on the same crew as her, gives her poo poo for suggesting the strat.

Also cute Nami and Robin bonding moment (which is probably fake tears on Nami's part).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also it's just funny that the Foxy Pirates are whining about integrity and the code when all they've done is cheat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The best part of that bit is, of course, Robin reminding everyone that they'd have to be crewmates with Foxy, so they can't just take him

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Interestingly, this statement by Foxy would be echoed by Luffy himself over a decade later (Long Ring Island was 2003 ~ 2004, Whole Cake Island was 2016 ~ 2018) in his fight with Katakuri.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Another cute Nami Ussop moment, Nami Ussop really are friendship goals.

Also Nami wasn't really wrong about the Foxy Pirates taking the cute one, it's just that the cute one was Chopper.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God I seriously wish chapters were easier to navigate on the SJ app. Like, separate the chapters by 50/100 chapters like they do on the Manga+ app and add the fuckin' titles or something, I have to rely on the Fandom wiki to figure out what chapter was what while using the app. Makes searching for specific scenes a pain in the rear end.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Quick, everyone name the arc we're currently on while hardly knowing anything about it.

You are not allowed to call it the Egg-head Island arc that's boring

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Another cute Nami Ussop moment, Nami Ussop really are friendship goals.

Also Nami wasn't really wrong about the Foxy Pirates taking the cute one, it's just that the cute one was Chopper.

I forget is the punchline to Robin here that she spawned some extra arms on the boat to row while she reads?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Funky Valentine posted:

I forget is the punchline to Robin here that she spawned some extra arms on the boat to row while she reads?

Yeah she's using her multiple arms, if I recall.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Funky Valentine posted:

You can see one of them in the panel where Nami is crying.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Scholtz posted:

Quick, everyone name the arc we're currently on while hardly knowing anything about it.

Grunge Safety

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scholtz posted:

One Piece arcs are named after the location that has been the standard.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Scholtz posted:

Wano Act 6

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

MonsterEnvy posted:

One Piece arcs are named after the location that has been the standard.

Ah yes, Romance Dawn, my favorite island :smug:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Scholtz posted:

Egg Head Island Arc.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Scholtz posted:

Smoker Nakama Arc

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Scholtz posted:

What's the name of whatever's inside the giant egg?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cat Machine posted:

I like that a lot of characters have levelled their strength in line with Luffy’s own growth - makes the world feel a lot more realistic and almost as if the actions of Luffy and Law and other worst-gen players has given old characters the drive to git gud again (Crocodile most obvious example)… Would really love Smoker to come back this arc, hopefully after spending some time lifting at the same gym as the admirals lol

Yeah I always consider Smoker to be Luffy's Marine Rival as opposed to Coby despite Coby starting out with Luffy, being around Luffy's age, and getting trained by Luffy's grandpa because Smoker just feels like the guy who has the read on Luffy and is more willing to try and capture him, whereas Coby sorta admires Luffy too much to be a proper rival.

Though it does feel like they are setting up Coby to be a super big player since even the Rocky Port Incident is turning out to be even more important than we though, Coby's moniker is a loving "Hero", and even Blackbeard's like, "drat, Coby, you're pretty cool and I owe you one." in the middle of trying to kill Hancock.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Akainu is Luffy's only major Marine enemy

Coby ultimately won't oppose him because of their friendship
Garp ultimately won't oppose him because of their family relation
Smoker ultimately won't oppose him because he respects his ideals

imo, Luffy is to Smoker as Roger was to Garp

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Luffy's greatest enemy among the Marines, Django.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sneak peek of Brook in the live action series

https://twitter.com/TomStheVoice/status/1190016573085487104?s=20&t=jOE9BXNwMdqmYVDXI17LGg

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Scholtz posted:

Hazard: Punk.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Not that the show's gonna get that far but I wonder how they would do Chopper, Franky, Brook, and Jimbei?

I'm picturing Jimbei looking like the orcs from the Warcraft movie, a lovely steampunk-esque costume for Franky, and fursuit Chopper.

Shame Ray Harryhausen is dead, cos that means we're stuck with CGI Brook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Scholtz posted:

The Final Saga