Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
We all know it would be Chris Hemsworth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ooh I really love that War of the Fang. They are all good though. Hell yeah!

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

John Mikl Thor with a beard to play Logan Grimnar

After the bitch-fest that was Wolftime, they should get the kid that played Joffrey on the GoT show to be Grimnar.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Something for Christoph Waltz too while we’re at it.

Leman Russ. Not because it's particularly fitting but just because I think he'd do a great job at it.

(Or Crowl, even though Crowl looks like Kyle MacLachlan on the covers.)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Will Ferrell and John C Riley as Alpharius and Omegan

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 5, 2022

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Improbable Lobster posted:

Will Ferrel and John C Riley as Alpharius and Omegan

I just assumed this went without saying.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I know I'm probably asking a stupid question, but why are the Emperor's Children generally written with the same level of intelligence and reasoning ability as the World Eaters? I realize Fulgrim is just fully nutso after daemonic possession, but I'd think there'd be more than one major story where they're still capable of reason.

And for the record, I've not read the Bile books, they're on my list to read. But I've read some heresy books, and the Black Legion Duology.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Calax posted:

I know I'm probably asking a stupid question, but why are the Emperor's Children generally written with the same level of intelligence and reasoning ability as the World Eaters? I realize Fulgrim is just fully nutso after daemonic possession, but I'd think there'd be more than one major story where they're still capable of reason.

And for the record, I've not read the Bile books, they're on my list to read. But I've read some heresy books, and the Black Legion Duology.

Ever been around someone who is still relatively early in their addiction when the really negative consequences haven't set in yet and the drugs are still working which fuels a nice big god complex? That's kind of how I see them.

The real answer is just we haven't really gotten a Lords of Silence level look at them yet. Chaos was really ignored for most of BL's history as anything other than a foil for the good guys and very tropy. It's really only relatively recently we have started to get well thought out and nuanced viewpoints from the chaos side of things. Hopefully one of the better authors gets around to the EC before too long.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Calax posted:

I'd argue that it's because Chaos is as varied as it sounds; For every World Eater chanting KILL MAIM BURN there's a perfect strategist looking for skulls in the millions, and for every Emperor's Children poised duellist there's a huge snake orgy of just-above Chaos Spawn fuckmonsters.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fabius reasons... he reasons better than the other ec, at least. so it goes fine for him and hes got 3 books and change

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Ving Rhames as Vulkan

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Miguel Prado posted:

Ving Rhames as Vulkan

Wild card: Colin Salmon

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shockeh posted:

I'd argue that it's because Chaos is as varied as it sounds; For every World Eater chanting KILL MAIM BURN there's a perfect strategist looking for skulls in the millions

The problem is that in theory all World Eaters have the Nails, which really fucks them up. Closest we've ever got to a reasonable post-heresy World Eater is probably Firefist Lheorvine Ukris

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

bob dobbs is dead posted:

fabius reasons... he reasons better than the other ec, at least. so it goes fine for him and hes got 3 books and change

I should point out that the Bile books do not only give Bile depth and character, they are a great portrait of other Emperor's Children as well. There are bloodcoke orgytheatres in the first book, but almost none of the EC are lost to pure hedonism - off the top of my head I can think of 5-6 different "factions" of the splintered 3rd legion who appear in the book, each with different plans and aspirations for their future (Bile himself, Radiant's 12th company, Eidolon's crew, the Noise Marines, Savona's upstarts, arguably Oleander).

They also are able to perform very well in battle:

Primogenitor posted:

The air was thick with smoke and heat. Their boarding pod had crashed through one of the central domes, obliterating transit tubes, towers and walkways in its descent into the shimmering sea of crystalline waters that occupied the heart of the plaza. The impact had shattered a ring of nearby structures, and the trees surrounding the waters were on fire now. The whole biome quaked as if in agony.

The Renegade Astartes fanned out in loose formation, moving with the drilled precision that had carried them through a thousand wars. Each of them was an army unto himself, and they fought with inhuman synchronicity, falling into the ancient rhythms of battle. Frag grenades bounced across the wraithbone walkways and exploded, hurling Eldar from their feet. Chainswords and axes whirred and bit into alien armour and flesh as the Emperor’s Children overran the Eldar forward positions, drenching the pale columns that rose alongside the boulevard with the blood of its defenders.

A Contemptor Dreadnought stalked forward through the smoke, clawed hands flexing. ‘Weep, aliens. Weep for I am upon you, and death is sure to follow,’ the vox-grille pulsed. One piston-like arm swept out and the inbuilt storm bolter roared a deadly hymn. Blue-clad Eldar danced a fatal jig and were swept aside as it strode forward. ‘Weep for Diomat, xenos. Scream for me, and die as I cannot. Die and be damned.’ A massive fist stretched out, and wide fingers closed about a white helm, crushing it and the alien skull beneath.

Tzimiskes turned, as a tall, elegant figure stalked through the fading light of the teleportation flare, accompanied by a monstrous army. Emperor’s Children rushed past, howling as they fell on the nearest Eldar with savage joy. The Radiant King in His Joyful Repose had arrived. He strode past Tzimiskes, unsheathing his sword as he went. His monstrous guards gambolled in his wake, grunting and shrieking as they hewed at the Eldar with their shrieking chain-glaives. ‘I am come, finally. The final curtain and the last song,’ the Radiant roared, as he swept his sword out, cleaving an Eldar warrior in two. ‘And I will burn this halfworld and clothe myself in its ashes before I am done.’ He raised his blade, his face split in a mad smile. ‘Children of the Emperor! Death to his foes!’

e: I haven't read it yet but I also heard that the III Legion is portrayed well in Path of Heaven.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 6, 2022

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The problem is that in theory all World Eaters have the Nails, which really fucks them up. Closest we've ever got to a reasonable post-heresy World Eater is probably Firefist Lheorvine Ukris

I love this guy.

The best moment is during the first Black Legion novel where they find Abaddon and his ship. He's being welcoming and friendly towards them and Lheor just blurts out "Captain Abaddon, stand aside. We're here to steal your ship."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nautakah in the Urdesh books. He's even able to ignore them in the Homer Simpson-esque way of "no skulls now means more skulls later!" kind of way. In the end he gets shot in the Nails, which disables them entirely. Leaves him completely unable to function and he's basically like an addict screaming for the drugs to come back when he dies..

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I wonder if its gonna be relevant later that (Echoes of Eternity spoiler) Sanguinius ripped out Angrons nails.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I wonder if its gonna be relevant later that (Echoes of Eternity spoiler) Sanguinius ripped out Angrons nails.

I doubt it, I think they're too much of his core existence, they'll manifest again when he does
Also, his model still has them.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Demiurge4 posted:

No, the nails will grow back once he reforms after a nap in the warp. He's a daemon prince now, eternal and unchanging, trapped forever in this state.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

I doubt it, I think they're too much of his core existence, they'll manifest again when he does
Also, his model still has them.

Never noticed his wings having bulging Scott Steiner biceps that owns.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

May have to get that battle of the fang edition, the book rules.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On the Fantasy side of things, The Old World is supposed to be set in the 2300s, correct? That would be the Great War Against Chaos. Have they announced any books set around that time for the new tabletop game, or any older books that deal with that timeline?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

*Shrug* Only as long as you/we the players says so.

"My Chaos Lord...
...missed the call for the Nails."
...Nails were broken during the Heresy."
...joined the World Eaters from another Legion."

And with that, Archon Vortikar Goonik, Warlord of the XIIth, the Sword of Khorne, Angron's Barb, the Broken Nail is born. Hunted by four different Inquisitors for fear of what he may bring about, the Archon hunts for ways to break the enslavement of the Nails over his Legion, assaulting primarly Adeptus Mechanicus & Dark Mechanicum enclaves, Necron Tomb Worlds and raiding Eldar vaults for the key he believes to reunifiction of the World Eaters.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they replace your amygdala you die horribly if they break

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chaos Lord Fightman Angryguy The Third hated needles and successful pretended to have had the nails installed by wearing a hat

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 7, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

A gift of Khorne had replaced 3rd company Captain Grigorey Handensmasher's nails with the amygdala of blood and skulls.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Angryson Goreknee got so angry he killed a whole planet. With nothing left to butcher, his nails went into overdrive and broke. Only his transhuman recovery ability let him survive the backlash. Now he leads a ragtag team of other legionary outcasts, waging the old war for new reasons.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the canon instance of the straight man on that front is that one apothecary from the bile books who just has a belt of his brothers skulls and keeps calm by meditating a lot

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also Nautakah, as mentioned.

We've seen a character take a shot to the back of the head, have half his brain vaporised by it, and turn out fine when some warp fuckery happened. GW doesn't let reality get in the way of good warhams.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

the canon instance of the straight man on that front is that one apothecary from the bile books who just has a belt of his brothers skulls and keeps calm by meditating a lot

The Bile books are pretty good

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

IIRC, the Nails are mentioned when the Grey Knights fight him in The Emperor's Gift, so I really doubt anything will come of it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

By meditating a lot and by doing a shitload of drugs IIRC.

Which also probably explains why he was Bile's botanist :rznv:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

NihilCredo posted:

A ton of drugs a day keeps the Blood God away.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Do you see piles of skulls whenever you close your eyes?

Is your insane bloodlust becoming a problem in social situations?

Have you repeatedly 'accidentally' butchered your friends and family?

Then ask your doctor if Khorneaway might be right for you.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Did Bile ever try cloning a World Eater a new body to transfer their consciousness into, or does he only use that for himself?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
the books go on sale like.... 11EST? 1 EST? does anyone know

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Waroduce posted:

the books go on sale like.... 11EST? 1 EST? does anyone know

Black Library? 1 PM EST on Saturday.

Some times a few minutes earlier.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

They always load 5 minutes early, but none of the three LEs announced this week will be on sale this week they are down the road.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

I remember there also being a short story about Kharn interrogating a loyalist Thousand Son who basically goes "Oh, the Nails? Dude, super easy to remove with psykerism, we can do that in a week!" but of course Kharn gets angry and kills him and ohnoes tragic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sephyr posted:

I remember there also being a short story about Kharn interrogating a loyalist Thousand Son who basically goes "Oh, the Nails? Dude, super easy to remove with psykerism, we can do that in a week!" but of course Kharn gets angry and kills him and ohnoes tragic!

Yeah like you should DEFINITELY trust a Thousand Son who wants to use magic to root around in your brain