Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Man its 2AM so will post my thoughs on part 5 tomorrow but I gotta ask right loving now uh, what in the actual hell was the deal with those last two episodes and the Rolling Stones?? Wha what??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fate is a sleeping slave.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bisse posted:

Man its 2AM so will post my thoughs on part 5 tomorrow but I gotta ask right loving now uh, what in the actual hell was the deal with those last two episodes and the Rolling Stones?? Wha what??

yeah Rolling Stones was a really weird and unnecessary epilogue imo. I know Fate is a big deal and all, but it still feels like it cheapens Bruno's death to, at the very end, be like "oh yeah this was prophesied all along lol"

Could've been more interesting if it was, like, one of the very first things we saw (there's reasons that wouldn't work but still). Knowing Bruno's fated to die from the start wouldn't really change much (jojo teammates die all the time) and would add extra tension any time he's in some poo poo, e.g. vs Diavolo or vs Prosciutto/Pesci.

It's not a bad encounter, and is an interesting look at a relatively unique stand, it just feels sudden and tacked on and kind of "why?" I just kinda chalk it up to all of part 5 kinda feeling a little bit chaotic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fate is not known to Stay her hand in the Night

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I just find it weird that, after a whole part of protecting Trish, she just fucks off offscreen and we never find out what happens to her in the end.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I just find it weird that, after a whole part of protecting Trish, she just fucks off offscreen and we never find out what happens to her in the end.

She becomes a popular singer and seemingly keeps in touch with the crew.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

yeah Rolling Stones was a really weird and unnecessary epilogue imo. I know Fate is a big deal and all, but it still feels like it cheapens Bruno's death to, at the very end, be like "oh yeah this was prophesied all along lol"

Could've been more interesting if it was, like, one of the very first things we saw (there's reasons that wouldn't work but still). Knowing Bruno's fated to die from the start wouldn't really change much (jojo teammates die all the time) and would add extra tension any time he's in some poo poo, e.g. vs Diavolo or vs Prosciutto/Pesci.

It's not a bad encounter, and is an interesting look at a relatively unique stand, it just feels sudden and tacked on and kind of "why?" I just kinda chalk it up to all of part 5 kinda feeling a little bit chaotic

It would have worked better as a flashback chapter between Bruno getting donutted. You'd see his fated death in the past and assume that it's playing out only to have Bruno push back against fate through force of will

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 7, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Ooh yeah that'd be a good place for it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I remember all the theorizing people did before part 5 got animated over how Rolling Stone would get adapted. I remember someone suggesting it might get sprinkled throughout the series, and I thought that maybe that could have worked if done right.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Rolling Stones bit is more about recognizing the futility of one's actions while also having the will and drive to fight against the outcome. It gives the option of an easy and calm death rather than the pain and brutality of what will come further down the line. It's similar to Bruno's backstory regarding his choice of which parent to stay with. He would have lived a much easier life if he stayed with his mom but he felt his dad would need him so he chose him. Fate had already decided Bruno would die, but despite all of this Mista didn't give a poo poo and thought it was worth it to keep fighting anyway. Bruno still died but he was allowed the miracle of continued life through Gold Experience until he could finish his objective of defeating Diavolo.

No Dignity posted:

Equivalent exchange wasn't guiding concept in the original continuity. Crazy Diamond and particularly Golden Wind's powers were all about positive sum games, it was only in SBR Araki really zeroed in on 'you can't get something for nothing' as a main theme

Not completely positive sum games, but also the stuff with part 7 and part 8 isn't so much "you can't get something for nothing" and more like "what's gone cannot easily be brought back in the same form without sacrifice." There's a limit to things like Gold Experience and Crazy Diamond and it's no coincidence that that limit is death itself.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

giorno banishes her from passione because, as is well-known, girls are icky

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Speaking of Part 5 death I still can't take Narancia's seriously because he had to stop and monologue about how much he's going to enjoy continuing to be alive and basically shouting through a megaphone "I'M GOING TO GET KILLED NOW"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yinlock posted:

Speaking of Part 5 death I still can't take Narancia's seriously because he had to stop and monologue about how much he's going to enjoy continuing to be alive and basically shouting through a megaphone "I'M GOING TO GET KILLED NOW"

Lmfao big same

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Poor Narancia

Thought of living and died

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yinlock posted:

Reminds me of how the episode of Kakyoin dying was preluded by a preview of Kakyoin going "I wonder why I get shivers thinking about how Avdol and Iggy died" and the actual episode having an extended flashback about Kakyoin's childhood that never came up before.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yinlock posted:

He was two days from retirement and learning basic division!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Reminds me of how the episode of Kakyoin dying was preluded by a preview of Kakyoin going "I wonder why I get shivers thinking about how Avdol and Iggy died" and the actual episode having an extended flashback about Kakyoin's childhood that never came up before.

Kakyoin at least had the excuse of knowing his friends just died and he was likely next if he couldn't figure out what DIO's Stand did, Narancia is just like "GOLLY I SURE DO LOVE NOT HAVING METAL BARS THROUGH MY CHEST" out of nowhere

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ok so JOJO PART 5!!!

It was the wildest ride far, I really loved it in so many ways, the idea is fantastic, the creativity is off the charts, the setting was beautiful and varied, and we're back to travelling around and having a clear plot and objective which I was sorely missing from part 4. But, it was also messy, many dropped plot lines, and things being retconned really quickly (like let's forget about Trish's dinosaur foot print its a softener stand now), but most of all it was missing some character or spirit that I can't quite put my finger on, it felt oddly all-business and at the same time completely disinterested in the actual gangster business. I was missing things like Joseph’s OH NOO, Jotaro’s extreme bluffing and badassing, Okuyasu and his dumb face and comments, silly car chats, etc. And when this part tried to do it it was like ”BREAKING NEWS: SIX GANGSTERS BEAT RANDOM MAN TO NEAR DEATH IN VENICE RESTURANT AND THEN HAVE A LAUGH”

Loved:
- Doppio and Diavolo were an extremely cool villain / duo, loved every second of he/them on screen grabbing for his 'telephones'
- Cool ensemble cast with enjoyable interactions
- Wow Li'l Bomber's kill count was through the roof
- Too many cool moments to remember all of them, but Banana Gun, 30-second muda, Boat Inside A Boat, Fisherman guy going through an entire character arc in the span of one battle, the entire Risotto vs Doppio battle was just A++ Dream JoJo's, and eeeeeeverything about the final battle from the colisseum and onwards was just a mad man's fever dream, I thought I was in for another cool Dio battle, well we got that and also whatever the hell *waves at everything* that was
- Gold Experience had the potential to be a truly broken stand, but it kind of got stealth nerfed by ignoring the 'reflects damage' part of it and instead it became a super creative and flexible stand, I liked it.
- The whole deal with Zombie Buccaratti was a really cool mystery, and wow that Gold Experience stand sure is broken huh?
- Gold Experience Requiem was. It was. Bonkers.
- POLNAREFF!! IT'S MY BESTO FRENCH GIRL!! I hope they had clean bathrooms in Italy!
- Naples and Italy felt so alive as a setting.
- Fighting Gold besto op, change my mind
- As a person with Italian relatives who I often joke about Italian cliches with, I find the names unspeakably hilarious. The Legendary Dark Assassin, Risotto. The Unhinged Mass Murderer, Ciocciolata. etc

Vomit:
- Another main villain with a time stand?? That is basically just Dio's stand with minor differences and with the Oingo Boingo stand on top?
- Stand reuse - although the creativity was through the roof there was some stand rehashing which was kind of odd. Misha has basically Hol Horse's stand, we have another Mirror stand (didn't we say this specific stand was impossible earlier?), and Green Day was basically Purple Haze.
- Giorno turned out cool in the end but feels so randomly written. He kept saying he has a dream and then what happened to it? Was his dream just to Kill Some Diavolo and tadaa? And in terms of character he was a wooden plank with a JoJo face drawn on it.
- The Ice Skater stand was like fan fiction or something, idk what happened there but felt like they just decided whelp this particular stand is just completely invincible now, have fun! I did NOT understand why his breathing hole was covered when the bullet hit but the pole spike just went through like nothing?
- The conclusion to GER vs Diavolo felt very abrupt, infinite deaths was a cool way to end the battle but what actually happened if you ignore the insane JoJo flavor on top, is Arrow Stab -> Muda Muda -> Fall Into River -> "He's dead we win".
- What the fuuuuuck kind of ending was the Rolling Stones thing. I wanted to see what happened to the... gangsters... kids with drugs... dream... trish.... *waves at everything again* but instead I was just flabbergasted watching this random rear end thing and kept checking the play time from the final two episodes melting away like... there's gotta be more??? Right??? And then it was like 2 minutes at the end of 'hey let's go save bucarrati' and giorno looking solemnly at the sky and well I just felt like I got robbed of a proper ending.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 7, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Bisse posted:

like let's forget about Trish's dinosaur foot print its a softener stand now
I mean, ground could look like that if made soft, Araki probably had in mind the power for Spice Girl but he refined how the affected objects work (or ground gets melted if softened since it's much thicker than other objects)

Bisse posted:

we have another Mirror stand (didn't we say this specific stand was impossible earlier?)
Yes, becaise Kakyoin is objectively an absolute authority on Stand powers and not just that he didn't know. (Also the point was that they shouldn't be able to hurt people through the reflection, and Man of the Mirror still applies that!)

Bisse posted:

- Giorno turned out cool in the end but feels so randomly written. He kept saying he has a dream and then what happened to it? Was his dream just to Kill Some Diavolo and tadaa? And in terms of character he was a wooden plank with a JoJo face drawn on it.
He wanted to be a cool Gangster because he admired the dude who helped improve his life after Giorno saved his. And he wanted to kill Diavolo because he sold drugs to kids and that's not cool in Giorno's eyes. Also he gets to be boss just because that's how mafia works. Also somethong something kono Dio da.

I do agree with you that part 5 has some great stuff but it's one of the messiest. And Diavolo/Doppio are a great duo!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think his dream was vaguely defined and was also multiple things (I like gangsters, I don't like selling drugs to kids, I wanna clean up Naples, I Wanna Be The Gang-Star), but also it never came up after being introduced or was reinforced in action, then it got kind of mixed up with saving Trish and stuff, so by the end Giorgo has stopped talking about it and you've almost forgotten about it. I think there was great opportunity to reinforce the bad side of the gangster business and Giorgo's dream of cleaning up Naples right after they found Polpo's treasure and are hiding in the Naples area running errands, but the show just wasn't interested in that at all beyond brief mentions of 'btw you run drug business now. anyway-' and like, one kid one time having one syringe mark, motive established let's move on. It would have also worked if the ending had at least a teeny weeny bit of an epilogue showing rather than implying the aftermath of defeating Diavolo.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bisse posted:

- Another main villain with a time stand?? That is basically just Dio's stand with minor differences and with the Oingo Boingo stand on top?
- The Ice Skater stand was like fan fiction or something, idk what happened there but felt like they just decided whelp this particular stand is just completely invincible now, have fun! I did NOT understand why his breathing hole was covered when the bullet hit but the pole spike just went through like nothing?

IIRC, Araki considered dominion over time to be the greatest power someone could have, which is why stands like The World and King Crimson/Emperor Crimson were given to the final bosses of their respective parts. With Ghaccio getting impaled, I imagine its a lot harder for him to freeze the air around him to stop his own momentum compared to stopping the momentum of a bullet, given that he was being pushed back by an absolute hail of gunfire that he couldn’t even see.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Now I know where I recognized the feeling I had when watching the Rolling Stones epilogue. It felt exactly the same as watching the last two episodes of Evangelion, wondering if I rented the wrong VHS or if someone wrote it over with something else, getting more and more stunned as the playtime is running out and realizing that, nope, this is it.

I think it would have been a cool thematic element if introduced earlier, but slapping it at the end just felt out of place.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcHA1YWX_8U

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I really wanted a part 8 character but I'll definitely take Risotto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naYEiYJvGAs

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1578370656319594497?s=46&t=XdAXhDsb-vphsyqEcnGEpw

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Gonna be really unfortunate if it's a batch again. The discussion was already dead, so now I imagine everyone will just watch until the end and will talk about nothing else.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

At this rate, I'm just glad it's not coming out like next summer.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that's really good news, I was worried it'd be fall 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i hope there's a new op this time
as great as the current one is it was weird still having the same opening for batch 2 that only showed stuff from the first 12 episodes and it'll be even weirder now that they're leaving the jail

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Praying that my theory holds up that they've been powering up and got one hell of a doozy OP ready for this last bit

All the other time stands got that special OP where something major changes in the last few episodes, this one just has to

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Praying that my theory holds up that they've been powering up and got one hell of a doozy OP ready for this last bit

All the other time stands got that special OP where something major changes in the last few episodes, this one just has to
Last one had 2 additional variations, so yeah, they will. OP fuckery is pretty much confirmed because even Stone Ocean's first op got SFX version, the hug version and finally animated credits recently

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vookatos posted:

Gonna be really unfortunate if it's a batch again. The discussion was already dead, so now I imagine everyone will just watch until the end and will talk about nothing else.

Yeah, that's also my concern.

Also 38 episodes? Isn't it usually 39?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yeah, that's also my concern.

Also 38 episodes? Isn't it usually 39?

The 39th episode will be a special anime-only epilogue a la Rolling Stones

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

The 39th episode will be a special anime-only epilogue a la Rolling Stones
Here's 22 minutes of agonizing death of every other character you love

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m excited to watch Pucci’s head being caved in for the holidays

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really want the OP2 theme to be a Sono Chi No Sadame variation, ideally performed by Shoko Nakagawa

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Augus posted:

i hope there's a new op this time
as great as the current one is it was weird still having the same opening for batch 2 that only showed stuff from the first 12 episodes and it'll be even weirder now that they're leaving the jail

Part 5 anime didn't get a new op until episode 25 when the story made its major shift, it would be normal for them to wait until now to change the op

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 7, 2022

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

zetamind2000 posted:

Part 5 anime didn't get a new op until episode 25 when the story made its major shift, it would be normal for them to wait until now to change the op
Yeah, but Part 5's Fighting Gold was much less literal and didn't have an SFX version which usually signifies an end of some sort on ep 13. Pretty clear why people are concerned

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

hatty posted:

I’m excited to watch Pucci’s head being caved in for the holidays

All I want for Christmas is new timeline Foo Fighters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

No Dignity posted:

I really want the OP2 theme to be a Sono Chi No Sadame variation, ideally performed by Shoko Nakagawa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z77vmcOyVIQ