Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Hashy posted:

Those people should become photographers and create work of actual value

You mean NFT's???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's really weird that someone made a thread in CSPAM and has now gotten spend money mad about people having opinions in that thread.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hashy posted:

Those people should become photographers and create work of actual value

exactly, at least selfies and cat pictures capture the noble essence of the human soul in the face of *gestures vaguely* all this

barge
Jun 12, 2006

There's one thing that needs to be addressed by a lot of the art gatekeepers: for many of us AI artists the act of viewing art can often come uncomfortably close to human interaction. Traditional art is full of choices a human made that might communicate something so viewing a painting can often be as unpleasant as answering a phone or going to the door to get doordash.

Just consider those who you might be excluding, that's all I ask

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

If you deny that a beautiful robot mind vomiting up fever dream scribbles can be art then I'd love to hear your opinion on whether or not ethnic minorities can truly create art

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Trabisnikof posted:

the noble essence of the human soul

as if a horny weirdo typing "titties, girl nips, milkers, milky, booba, fat slappers, Abby Shapiro" into a prompt doesn't capture exactly the same thing

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

barge posted:

There's one thing that needs to be addressed by a lot of the art gatekeepers: for many of us AI artists the act of viewing art can often come uncomfortably close to human interaction. Traditional art is full of choices a human made that might communicate something so viewing a painting can often be as unpleasant as answering a phone or going to the door to get doordash.

Just consider those who you might be excluding, that's all I ask

Woah, no painting that I can look at is as bad as answering the phone. C'mon.

Also I ain't following this thread but I somehow made this thing with stable diffusion. I am poo poo with Photochop but am often capable of typing words into a prompt. What's not to love about a new tool that creates an unknowable knot of future social changes but also gives idiots like me the ability to make things they wouldn't have otherwise made?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

turn off the TV posted:

honestly the more i use stable diffusion the less limitations it feels like it has, but i'm also using it to edit photographs. the img2img function gets rid of jpeg artifacts incredibly well and it can be used to create super high quality upscales of even the most janky of images.

This is a good use of ai. The biggest quality sticklers I know don’t like the mushy artifacting it currently makes, but for something like scaling your 200dpi poster up to 300dpi, it works great.

Communist Thoughts posted:

A lot of the art I've made with midjourney kicks rear end and even as someone halfway decent at it I'm glad that people who can't draw or paint can now produce nice art.

There must be a lot of people with a good eye for composition or whatnot who can't draw a circle.

It’s less common than you’d think. Generally you learn how to compose while you learn to draw the circle. When we’re kids, we learn that pictures should logically make sense, which has us draw static, symmetrical, centered compositions that are ineffective in art. Think people standing in the center of the frame facing directly towards the viewer.
You learn how to stop doing that at the same time as you learn how anatomy and linework work. Photographers need a while to get good at composition too.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

composition is a myth

barge
Jun 12, 2006

The Composition Ideas-Guy

barge
Jun 12, 2006

I guess all AI art stuff is just the ultimate ideas-guy fantasy now that I think on it

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i saw some pages of a graphic novel that the ideas guy author used midjourney to create, and i can confirm that composition is something that both humans and ai struggle with

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
prompt: "tv show about vaginas and hallways starring a woman"

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Woah, no painting that I can look at is as bad as answering the phone. C'mon.

Also I ain't following this thread but I somehow made this thing with stable diffusion. I am poo poo with Photochop but am often capable of typing words into a prompt. What's not to love about a new tool that creates an unknowable knot of future social changes but also gives idiots like me the ability to make things they wouldn't have otherwise made?

now this is art.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/ArcadiaSofka/status/1577498654566363137

People need to learn what words mean or just not use them.

Yes my monitor is on.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Yes my monitor is on.

There is so much magical thinking around what these algorithms can actually do, it's wild.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think synths vs instruments is the best comparison.

Yes, synths made it possible for a vast array of incredibly terrible music to be made by people with little to no talent who would otherwise not have done so because instrument playing and singing is hard, but they didn't somehow damage the world of conventional instruments or make guitars or whatever obsolete/unwanted. There is also a huge amount of actually-good music that uses synths in part or fully and in hindsight the whole argument seems moronic.

Much like this thread and my posting

Oh and I'll add: whining about them using existing art as a database is very similar to whining about sampling

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Lostconfused posted:

Yes my monitor is on.

I think this person misunderstands the excitement behind this technology. They remind me of those artists who assumed NFTs would be used in good faith to protect digital artwork. Just because the tech has a hypothetical use case does not mean it’ll get used that way. Artists will be on the sidelines and people won’t care.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I think synths vs instruments is the best comparison.

Yes, synths made it possible for a vast array of incredibly terrible music to be made by people with little to no talent who would otherwise not have done so because instrument playing and singing is hard, but they didn't somehow damage the world of conventional instruments or make guitars or whatever obsolete/unwanted. There is also a huge amount of actually-good music that uses synths in part or fully and in hindsight the whole argument seems moronic.

Much like this thread and my posting

Oh and I'll add: whining about them using existing art as a database is very similar to whining about sampling

Visual art already has analogies to sampling and synths: tracing, collage, stamp tools, clip art, found art, photoshop brushes - there are loads of ways to streamline and remix visual art and people have been doing it for ages. This is way different than hitting print and having a finished piece pop up on your screen, all those things (and synths/drum machines) are tools to make things, not finished products.

Artists aren't "whining" that this is gonna make art go away (haven't seen it a single time) they're depressed because they know exactly how this is going to be used against them and flood the world with ugly stuff: The slimeballs at WotC will start trying out how many AI art pieces they can slip onto cards, newspapers will start cutting editorial illustrations etc. These are a couple fewer illustration jobs in a pretty tricky industry and I'm gonna feel bad if any working artists loses out on work just because it saves a few bucks. Worse art, a few less jobs, it's just a bad deal all around unless you get excited about cutting already pretty minor costs.

I keep seeing examples like "oh photography didn't kill painting" you have got to crack a book open and check out out art before and after photography, or before and after color printing. Loads of jobs vanished entirely, illustration became almost a lost art, we gained something but you can't pretend it didn't replace something else. This time we're not getting something cool and new like photos, just a way to make more of what we already have but worse. You can't do much about these changes I know that but I can still be sad about it when it is as pointless as this and hate the vile tech guys of the world. I have a feeling they'll spend the next few decades lurching between innovations like NFTs or Ai Art or mars missions or the next dumb thing, trying to wring something meaningful out of them but I'm gonna guess they won't find it by watching their computer spit out remixed pixels

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seems like your problem is capitalism not ai art

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

Art is a social construct. And thanks to capitalism ~we live in a society~ that cannot produce art. The opinions of us or the artists doesn't matter. So enjoy ai or not, who care.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

Ai art would still suck really bad and the little poems people write alongside their prompts in the GBS thread (check it out) would still be really funny/embarrassing withgout capitalism, it just adds a little sad element to it for me since I love to draw

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You seem to be confused about your own feelings because you've repeatedly identified the bad aspect as being people losing their ability to make a living, techbros etc but you frame it in a really condescending way that elicits very little sympathy

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

large oblate cat posted:

Art is a social construct. And thanks to capitalism ~we live in a society~ that cannot produce art. The opinions of us or the artists doesn't matter. So enjoy ai or not, who care.

hmm, so modern art is not art. but others are the fascists, i am sure

barge
Jun 12, 2006

I don't want your sympathy slavvy lol :dafuq: You're trying to write about how this isn't actually bad for art and I told you how you're wrong and it'll be bad for art. Well that's capitalism!! Ok

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/jmontyxd/status/1578071801887965196

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's funny how people are using this to make NFTs, because the existence of it just makes NFTs even more blatantly dog-brained when you can whip up ten thousand of your own apes with just the few clicks of a button.

I'm sure it makes people who have the ability to draw stuff themselves sad, but it makes a whole bunch of people who can't draw for poo poo, me included, happy, so swings and roundabouts.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
NFTs never had an actual use case, so they're no more or less dumb now

They have always existed in a state of maximum possible stupidity

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Pink Mist posted:

When we’re kids, we learn that pictures should logically make sense, which has us draw static, symmetrical, centered compositions that are ineffective in art. Think people standing in the center of the frame facing directly towards the viewer.
You learn how to stop doing that at the same time as you learn how anatomy and linework work. Photographers need a while to get good at composition too.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

new act of defilement dropped
https://twitter.com/AlexNelsini/status/1578336362733789185

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

No but you see, the result could hypothetically be used in a photoshop or collage, so this is definitely a tool for artists and not a way to remove them from the process entirely

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Aw that's a nice tribute

It's funny to see this neat tool drive people absolutely insane like a dog barking at a car while the rest of us generate cool apples with our friends

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
lol yeah that sucks poo poo

future's gonna be wild

(as in like 6 months from now)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The thing everyone got mad at the star wars movies for doing, using the recently dead as grotesque puppets, is now democratized baby

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

barge posted:

Artists aren't "whining"

this entire post is whining OP

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

It's funny how people are using this to make NFTs, because the existence of it just makes NFTs even more blatantly dog-brained when you can whip up ten thousand of your own apes with just the few clicks of a button.

I'm sure it makes people who have the ability to draw stuff themselves sad, but it makes a whole bunch of people who can't draw for poo poo, me included, happy, so swings and roundabouts.

they're sad because they're insecure dorks. AI art doesn't take anything away from their talent the same way autotune didn’t take anything away from Aretha Franklin or Elton John

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

indigi posted:

as if a horny weirdo typing "titties, girl nips, milkers, milky, booba, fat slappers, Abby Shapiro" into a prompt doesn't capture exactly the same thing

The prompt is where the true art lies. The AI generated image is just the bait in the cartoon box propped up by a stick, ready to capture the human soul.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
forums post, snarky, funny, smart, puns, wordplay, upvoted on reddit, 100k twitter likes

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

this human soul, this spark of inspiration you claim the #waifudiffusions lack, can you show me one? How much does it weigh? Of which atoms is it composed? Surely you know. Surely you aren't just desperately flailing towards mysticism to hide your fear of #waifudiffusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

theres always gonna be technological changes that make certain human activities obsolete or less valuable
but its a lot harder to get into other types of automation, its harder to buy your own power loom or self-service checkout

at least with this one mostly anyone can enjoy making big booba pictures, it just sucks for all the patreon artists making disney elf/steven universe drawings with big booba, they're going the way of the cobblers