Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that these were all the same loving department. Jesus what the gently caress is wrong with SAPD

They're cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that these were all the same loving department. Jesus what the gently caress is wrong with SAPD

Found the problem

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

:hmmyes:

Enforcing the boot of the state doesn't require competence, I know, I'm just kinda stunned how out in the open and flagrant it is in San Antonio. I mean, that dash cam footage is the dude literally going from "hm, cheap gross burger" to attempted murder in less than three minutes. Like hoooooooolllleeeee poo poo that is wild.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

They probably have an openly, loudly white supremacist gang operating internally? Just going off weight of numbers, I haven't seen proof specifically to that effect. It's just the trend for those agencies.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Aren't these the same chucklefucks that laughed at 911 callers from a Biden campaign bus that was being rammed on the highway by a bunch of Trump supporters?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The bus was chased all the way from San Antonio to Austin, easily a 2+ hour drive passing through multiple cities.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
news https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/06/nyu-professor-fired-maitland-jones-jr-student-petition

view- lol, lmao, fire every organic chemistry professor then

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That article links to a NYTimes article about it as well, with some additional context:

quote:

That was not enough. In 2020, some 30 students out of 475 filed a petition asking for more help, said Dr. Arora, who taught that class with Dr. Jones. “They were really struggling,” he explained. “They didn’t have good internet coverage at home. All sorts of things.”

“We urge you to realize,” the petition said, “that a class with such a high percentage of withdrawals and low grades has failed to make students’ learning and well-being a priority and reflects poorly on the chemistry department as well as the institution as a whole.”

But students also described being surprised that Dr. Jones was fired, a measure the petition did not request and students did not think was possible.

Dude's also 84.

I dunno. Hesitant to judge one way or the other, as someone who had a class with an ancient, completely out of touch professor (and a class that similarly dropped from over 20 to just 3 by the end of the semester for being so bad)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Zamujasa posted:

That article links to a NYTimes article about it as well, with some additional context:

Dude's also 84.

I dunno. Hesitant to judge one way or the other, as someone who had a class with an ancient, completely out of touch professor (and a class that similarly dropped from over 20 to just 3 by the end of the semester for being so bad)

Yeah. I had a physics class that was like that - taught by the recently emeritus former department head. If you couldn't keep up basically by self-teaching from the book, you were doomed. Classes were useless. IIRC, I got a 65 which curved to a B despite all tests being open book.

To be fair, the professor was a really nice guy and apparently has done a lot in terms of encouraging and funding minorities in STEM. Just a very poor teacher. One of the many toxicities of the culture of academia is a huge focus on publishing and research. Oh you want to talk about how great your teaching is? Off to adjunct-dom to you, enjoy $10k/year, no benefits, and membership in a permanent underclass.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
So I teach grad courses, and I'm getting a PhD in Education Policy and Curriculum development stuff, and the gist of the NYU story is:
1. OrgChem, like a lot of "feeder" classes for premed and other highly competitive majors, is designed with the idea to weed out people who won't make it in higher grade level courses
2. There's a LOT of baked-in racism in this model. There's a shortage of medical doctors and an acute under-representation of Latinx, black, and other underprivileged minority groups because they don't have the same academic traditions as other demographics to grind through the weed-out classes.
3. College-level students not having "internet at home" is kind of a red herring-- most courses are designed so that you need to use school licenses/computers to get it done. Disregard this part of the story, it's more of an issue in K-12
4. The professor is a sacrificial goat for the school here, they're going to keep the weeding-out programs in place but this dude was on the administration's chopping block.
5. The trick for making sure that higher grade level classes are available for those who are both motivated and qualified to take them is to expand offerings and offer additional tutoring, which cuts into the bottom line of administrators who don't like that.

In short: the professor was on borrowed time; the department designs the class to have a high failure rate, and they're going to make a big deal of making things more "equitable" but continue doing the same administrative practices in a slightly less obvious manner.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Please don’t use the term latinx. It’s not a term we actually use in practice. Thank you and sorry for the disruption.

Sources: https://www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1285916

https://www.axios.com/2022/01/04/the-rise-and-fall-latinx-latino-hispanic

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/388532/controversy-term-latinx-public-opinion-context.aspx

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I like that the former guy has the same forced cheesy smile has a friend I grew up with who is now In.

That's probably what you get when Fred beats the happiness out of you to make you learn about being tough or something.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

What's the preferred term that includes both male, female and transgender people of Latin descent?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Kesper North posted:

What's the preferred term that includes both male, female and transgender people of Latin descent?

Latine is another attempt that’s more gramatically correct but, if I had to guess, you wouldn’t use that either. You’d probably pick either Latino or Latina. I’d say Latine would be better though if it catches on. The point I’m making is that none of these alternatives have caught on, if folks are even aware of them in the first place, and that seems to be reflected in the polls at least at first glance.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's not up to non-speakers to strip gender from an inherently gendered language. It's a necessary feature for subject verb agreement and for having complex sentences make sense.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Maybe everyone should decide on a better word before retiring the current word?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah I have no agenda here, I am just wondering what nonbinary Latin folk use.

Gender is not inherently binary, no matter how hard languages try to make it so.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Blind Rasputin posted:

Look, NPR told me that Latinx is better and they are experts in what white middle class liberals should do.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

The same thing that's wrong with every law enforcement agency in America?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah! These latinx need to pipe down! I'm trying to be considerate here!!

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I'm using it in the appropriate academic/clinical population context in accordance with APA 7 guidance.

E: there is of course, literally no other appropriate use of the term outside of an inclusive population metric in stuff like education Policy and statistical representation.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 8, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stultus Maximus posted:

Look, NPR told me that Latinx is better and they are experts in what white middle class liberals should do.

NPR is the only place I hear it.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Like a bunch of other crap on liberal leaning media it's a clinical word that gets misappropriated for mass audience consumption. It's literally a research term meant to eliminate bias in speaking towards sampled populations, not general groups of humans.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Immanentized posted:

I'm using it in the appropriate academic/clinical population context in accordance with APA 7 guidance.

E: there is of course, literally no other appropriate use of the term outside of an inclusive population metric in stuff like education Policy and statistical representation.

I'm sorry, APA 7 sounds nuts. this is not how people generally speak or write or even think. from:
https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar-guidelines/bias-free-language/racial-ethnic-minorities

quote:

The word “Latino” is gendered (i.e., “Latino” is masculine and “Latina” is feminine); the use of the word “Latin@” to mean both Latino and Latina is now widely accepted.

keep your @ sign out of my written word

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

pmchem posted:

I'm sorry, APA 7 sounds nuts. this is not how people generally speak or write or even think. from:

You're right, it's how researchers write to eliminate potential bias. I am currently involved with researching the subject matter at hand, so i default to those terms.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Immanentized posted:

Like a bunch of other crap on liberal leaning media it's a clinical word that gets misappropriated for mass audience consumption. It's literally a research term meant to eliminate bias in speaking towards sampled populations, not general groups of humans.

I only listen anymore for Wait Wait and sometimes BBC radio at night.

It's pledge drive season anyhow, so it's all just pandering right now anyhow.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

A friend of mine who is Latino and doing a doc on early Spanish language tv in the 1970s said pretty much everyone of those she interviewed loving hate that term.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

rip in piss, awkward "x" crammed onto a word

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Leave it to well-meaning but obtuse intellectuals to create a term attempting to address race and gender but instead creates divisive controversy.

A moral Hispanic, if you will.

ill show myself out

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Immanentized posted:

So I teach grad courses, and I'm getting a PhD in Education Policy and Curriculum development stuff, and the gist of the NYU story is:
1. OrgChem, like a lot of "feeder" classes for premed and other highly competitive majors, is designed with the idea to weed out people who won't make it in higher grade level courses
2. There's a LOT of baked-in racism in this model. There's a shortage of medical doctors and an acute under-representation of Latinx, black, and other underprivileged minority groups because they don't have the same academic traditions as other demographics to grind through the weed-out classes.
3. College-level students not having "internet at home" is kind of a red herring-- most courses are designed so that you need to use school licenses/computers to get it done. Disregard this part of the story, it's more of an issue in K-12
4. The professor is a sacrificial goat for the school here, they're going to keep the weeding-out programs in place but this dude was on the administration's chopping block.
5. The trick for making sure that higher grade level classes are available for those who are both motivated and qualified to take them is to expand offerings and offer additional tutoring, which cuts into the bottom line of administrators who don't like that.

In short: the professor was on borrowed time; the department designs the class to have a high failure rate, and they're going to make a big deal of making things more "equitable" but continue doing the same administrative practices in a slightly less obvious manner.

I'll tag on to this post too, speaking as someone who has also taught grad (and undergrad) courses, but actually in chemistry and has a PhD in chemistry:

1. organic is not designed to 'weed out' people, anywhere, although it's commonly called that by the students. it's just that it's not an easy subject to become proficient in, and quite different than any other prior chemistry or natural sciences course that most students will have ever taken. it's hard. many people are not good at it, for whatever reason to be debated. thus it gets called a weed out course. having taught chemistry courses to undergrads, I can tell you we'd all be more than happy if goddamn everyone earned an "A" because it would make life much easier.

2. guaranteed this was absolutely not a factor in NYU's design of difficulty of the course or lecture content

3/4/5 agreed

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

pmchem posted:

https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar-guidelines/bias-free-language/racial-ethnic-minorities

keep your @ sign out of my written word

How do you pronounce "Latin@"?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So today in Hershel Walker news:

- Fired his political director because he believed the director was leaking to the press
- Woman he paid to have an abortion later said "well, the relationship exploded because he wanted to pay for a second abortion and I refused and wanted the kid"
- Walker has essentially decided on the "I don't know who this woman is" defense, which uh:

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1578545363950395392

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ASAPI posted:

Uvalde just suspended their ISD police force. Like, ALL of them. They are requesting State Troopers in the meantime until they can figure out what to do with their force.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/07/us/uvalde-police-department-suspended/index.html

While it is a step towards accountability, I am confused why this step took so long. Wouldn't it have been easier to do this when school wasn't in session?

How is this for a crazy idea. Don't put loving cops in schools.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You don’t, you just pat yourself on the back excessively for being “one of the good ones” and assuage any and all white guilt.

Same thing as pumping $9.99 a month to your local NPR station, basically.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Latin-at!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zamujasa posted:

Dude's also 84.

Someone in the C‑SPAM New York Times thread has personal knowledge of the guy.

quote:

oh hey I had this professor. he's really douchey in person

his exams were notoriously unreasonable and the main reason his class existed was to fail pre-med students.

There were two versions of the class. One for all students (like ~99.9% pre-med students) and one chem majors only. They got the same exams but the chem major ones got more classes in a week and had sessions where they worked with TAs directly on problems that were similar to problems on the exams. So basically only the one class actually had a reasonable shot at the exams and even they didn't do that great.

So the end result was that every student would just do terrible on the exams and then they'd curve it and you'd just get like, whatever random curved grade. It was a great way to make sure no one actually gave a poo poo about the subject.

quote:

nah this guy's exams were hosed. They were basically not doable for anyone. Maybe some organic chem wunderkind who spent years prepping for maitland jones' tests could pull them off. Most students handed in the test booklets half-blank.

Frequently instead of taking the second semester of orgo with Jones, pre-med students would instead go do a study abroad semester in NYU London where they could take an organic chem class taught by some other person where you might actually have a chance to pass the tests.

this guy actually wrote the organic chemistry textbook though. maitland jones literally wrote the book on chemistry...

i wasted so much money going to this stupid college

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Seems to me if you were talking about a hispanic person who was trans you'd refer to them by the gender they identified with? The x seems patronizing and probably worse in that regard

oh nooo lol

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Marshal Prolapse posted:

A friend of mine who is Latino and doing a doc on early Spanish language tv in the 1970s said pretty much everyone of those she interviewed loving hate that term.

I don't have a dog in it either way, but I know the people I always turn to and trust about whether something is a good or bad thing for the english language and its usage would be americans old enough to have been involved in mass media or where old enough to have coherent opinions to be interviewed about tv in the early 1970's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I really don’t like how vague “Latin” is. Never felt it.
Much prefer Chicano myself.
Aztec Warrior to my friends and enemies.