Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/a_magazova/status/1578333084855853056?s=20&t=Y_O2bjjEUuaFM4dXy5VoFw
By otherising "the west" what does that make Ukraine? Part of "the East" along with Russia? A "borderland" between east and west? Such supposed anti-imperial takes end up replicating imperial mindsets. Perhaps, there is another reason activists from all three countries were chosen?

and I'm sorry, Westerns aren't thinking about Ukrainians as "little russians," they don't know enough about history, nor exist within the Russian conception of history, to have a take like that.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Eh, I think before the war the average American probably thought of Ukrainians as generally, vaguely Russians.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

mutata posted:

Eh, I think before the war the average American probably thought of Ukrainians as generally, vaguely Russians.

Pretty sure they also thought this about Slovakians and even Romanians for that matter, yet I don't think that is because they were getting their history from 19th century panslavists

cultural evidence 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mYqY5YELd0

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 8, 2022

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
edit- beaten like the 3rd Army Corps

Comstar fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 8, 2022

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1578551705817399296

I don't think this is going to make Putin like Kadyrov much when he finds out he a lying sack of poo poo

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1578592222987096065

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Sometimes birthday gifts come late

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1578594585512579072

Can't tell if they actually did any critical damage to the super structure, but its absolutely a huge signal

Looks like a train had a smoking accident

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1578594370265444354

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 8, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I knew they wouldn't forget his special day :3:

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
I'm betting it isn't critical damage, we've seen how hard it is to critically damage much smaller bridges.

But yeah that is a historic signal. This is like Doolittle-raid, it's only a small wrench in the war machine, but it shows that bigger wrenches can and will be thrown at the most critical areas.

Whoever pulled this off is going down in history. They might not be the ones who take out the bridge, but they started the process. And way earlier than anyone expected.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Stop falling for obvious propaganda, it’s just an Armata crossing the bridge.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Stop falling for obvious propaganda, it’s just an Armata crossing the bridge.

In Russia, bridge burns you.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Orthanc6 posted:

I'm betting it isn't critical damage, we've seen how hard it is to critically damage much smaller bridges.

But yeah that is a historic signal. This is like Doolittle-raid, it's only a small wrench in the war machine, but it shows that bigger wrenches can and will be thrown at the most critical areas.

Whoever pulled this off is going down in history. They might not be the ones who take out the bridge, but they started the process. And way earlier than anyone expected.

Looks like a section has fallen down

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah I ltierally do not believe my eyes right now

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

FishBulbia posted:

Looks like a section has fallen down

poo poo, I thought it was just a train catching fire but maybe there was a bigger explosion that lit up the train.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah I ltierally do not believe my eyes right now

O__O

What the hell did they hit it with? Also yeah, that's the road AND the railroad, making it not a bridge for the moment

What do the kids say these days? POG? Do they still do that?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What material would be needed to burn through that bridge? Could there be thermite being used or some special purpose high temperature explosive?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Orthanc6 posted:

O__O

What the hell did they hit it with? Also yeah, that's the road AND the railroad, making it not a bridge for the moment

maybe special forces seeing as they managed to actually hit it right to cause it to collapse?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Marshal Prolapse posted:

What material would be needed to burn through that bridge? Could there be thermite being used or some special purpose high temperature explosive?

it appears that something made one/several of the supports stop supporting the bridge

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

They also did it literally at dawn, really a message. Kerch wakes up to it burning.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it appears that something made one/several of the supports stop supporting the bridge

What type of explosive would do the job I thought that bridge were supposed be like the one non-graft incompetent thing built by Russia in the last few years.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

What type of explosive would do the job I thought that bridge were supposed be like the one non-graft incompetent thing built by Russia in the last few years.

It was still graft, just upwards for the cost of the project. And the opening of it was a bit of a poo poo show.

Also, one hell of a photo to wake up to :staredog:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

FishBulbia posted:

maybe special forces seeing as they managed to actually hit it right to cause it to collapse?

I feel you'd need a lot more then some C4 or shoulder fired rockets to gently caress up a bridge that much. It isn't even at the suspension bit.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Orthanc6 posted:

O__O

One of these things maybe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrim-2

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Wouldn't be shocked if this is what leads Putin to declare an end of the SMO and beginning of the war, that bridge WAS krimnashism

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Now would seem to be a pretty good time to launch an attack south from Zaporizhzhia to cut off Crimea/Kherson resupply completely.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Marshal Prolapse posted:

idk you'd have to ask someone involved in extremely large scale demolition or, like, an sf demolition tech

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1578604572402417664

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

If those are all tankers full of fuel, it's going to be burning a hell of a long time, and that concrete is going to start breaking down and collapsing.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Hooooly sugar

Idk why this feels like throwing down the loving gauntlet bit goddamn

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Deteriorata posted:

If those are all tankers full of fuel, it's going to be burning a hell of a long time, and that concrete is going to start breaking down and collapsing.

The road is hosed up anyway. Thats a huge section down and another damaged. No more traffic for a while

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FishBulbia posted:

The road is hosed up anyway. Thats a huge section down and another damaged. No more traffic for a while

It looks like there are two separate driving lanes, and one may still be up. Haven't seen a clear picture of both down yet.

Regardless, most of the fuel/food/water/supplies for Crimea are moved by the rail bridge. If it's out for an extended period, they're going to have problems.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Orthanc6 posted:

O__O

drat, those crazy lights over Belgorod finally make sense!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

It looks like there are two separate driving lanes, and one may still be up. Haven't seen a clear picture of both down yet.

Regardless, most of the fuel/food/water/supplies for Crimea are moved by the rail bridge. If it's out for an extended period, they're going to have problems.

Most of the war materiel for the southern fronts is coming via that rail bridge. Having to load it onto trucks (without pallets) to get it across the strait and then back onto trains for the rest of the trip is going to be a pain in the arse for them and make an already poor situation worse.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think they got the roads and rails.

https://twitter.com/andrewperpetua/status/1578606690664341505?s=46&t=ry9XkTJwx4TOcbM5sDGTlA

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

The 2nd road lane looks more intact, but you can see an entire segment has buckled for it as well. Also we can see the structure of the rail bridge already sagging on the sides, so that could totally go if several train tanks of fuel keep burning on it.

Not even a page later in this story and it's gone from a signal to what very well could be a hard knockout for Crimea.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

FishBulbia posted:

They also did it literally at dawn, really a message. Kerch wakes up to it burning.

That bridge is the sole route of supplies for the southern front. It's a hell of a lot more than a message

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This is actually completely insane. Some sort of special ops sabotage??? This doesn't look like a missile strike.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

drat Putin's gonna fully lose this. Can't blame just another crony again. Can only play "holy tsar surrounded by fools" so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vox Nihili posted:

This is actually completely insane. Some sort of special ops sabotage??? This doesn't look like a missile strike.

I would think so, but man what mobile explosives could do that?