Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I was at a music festival yesterday and couldn’t send a single text message, let alone a picture, just about all day. The signal would fluctuate between “SOS” (only?) and 3 bars of 5G+ on ATT, but nothing would go through.

Thanks 5G!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well because you were on the wrong 5G. You wanted that other 5G that scales for large groups.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I was at a music festival yesterday and couldn’t send a single text message, let alone a picture, just about all day. The signal would fluctuate between “SOS” (only?) and 3 bars of 5G+ on ATT, but nothing would go through.

Thanks 5G!

Serious question: do you know if you are on a plan with priority data or not ?

All 3 carriers have cheaper plans where you get slowed down for first, or higher plans where you pay for priority access.

I will say, if I remember right I would bet you are on the higher plan, but just checking.

They all said, it’s hosed up that you can pay for priority network access in the US and is annoying. loving rip Net Neutrality.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

They all said, it’s hosed up that you can pay for priority network access in the US and is annoying. loving rip Net Neutrality.

Net neutrality never barred this because it never covered cellular internet, and actual net neutrality also didn’t bar users paying for priority transport service - it barred prioritizing particular destinations, not particular users.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Serious question: do you know if you are on a plan with priority data or not ?

All 3 carriers have cheaper plans where you get slowed down for first, or higher plans where you pay for priority access.

I will say, if I remember right I would bet you are on the higher plan, but just checking.

I’m on their highest unlimited plan. I don’t believe this one gets throttled IIRC. I could be wrong though. Just sucked to not be able send more than like 3 texts for 9 hours, especially since I had a babysitter for my younger kids at home.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
You can turn off 5G in Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options, and selecting LTE.

I have to do this from time to time when 5G just stops working.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I was at a fair today and had 3 bars of 5G and didn’t get poo poo all day. I even sent a text to my girlfriend sitting 2 feet from me and it came back undeliverable. Had to airdrop it to her which yay Apple.

I usually just move to LTE in these situations but totally spaced today. Sucked because I was trying to check on the baseball playoffs from time to time and didn’t find out what happened until I left.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

5G is the future

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
There is a an issue with the 5g protocol for sure, and it’s gonna take more towers closer to you to solve.

Unfortunate but not much can be done till more development is done and we get 5.5g

Violator
May 15, 2003

I complained a few weeks about about my iPhone 11 Pro performance and battery. Based on suggestions, I further pruned my background app refresh and notification settings. I still had lovely performance (ie, apps taking 3-5 seconds to load content, apps freezing, OS functionality stuttering, etc.) even with my battery on peak performance and at 92% health.

A few days ago I completely turned off background app refresh and performance has dramatically improved. Everything is loading basically instantly again and zipping around the OS is smooth again. I don’t know if iOS 16 made things worse, if the battery can’t keep up with as many background processes, or if the battery can’t keep up with the memory usage, but if things keep up like this I’ll be able to get another year out of this phone.

Battery still drains about 10% per hour but I’m fine with ~10-11 hours of usage.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Turn off Background App Refresh completely. I've never been able to notice any discernable difference with it on other than more battery drain.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Pro-tip: Don't bring your iPhone 14 onto a rollercoaster.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe just keep it in your pocket on the ride?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Combat Pretzel posted:

https://twitter.com/JoannaStern/status/1579106766704369667

This you?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Ohhh I see

Lmao

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lol

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nah, I just saw the same news item.

I keep waiting for it to trigger while faceplanting with my snowboard, tho.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Wow, installing this was a huge mistake.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Turn off Background App Refresh completely. I've never been able to notice any discernable difference with it on other than more battery drain.
Now you mention it, I legitimately can’t think of a single time any data outside of iCloud stuff like notes has ever actually been pulled in the background for any apps.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Question Mark Mound posted:

Now you mention it, I legitimately can’t think of a single time any data outside of iCloud stuff like notes has ever actually been pulled in the background for any apps.

Are things like gmail, outlook, teams, etc not reliant on background refresh?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Practically speaking I think all the apps refresh when you open them anyways.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

rafikki posted:

Are things like gmail, outlook, teams, etc not reliant on background refresh?

No, anything like that relies on Push/Fetch. I've left Background App Refresh off for years and there is no discernable difference, but if I turn it on there is a discernable difference in battery drain (and I'm not someone that obsesses over the battery).

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

smackfu posted:

Practically speaking I think all the apps refresh when you open them anyways.

Yeah, and they do this whether or not Background App Refresh is on or off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Went from XS to a biggie non-pro 14. Cool phone, I keep trying to turn it on while upside down because the earpiece is so close to the case bezel I can't tell which end is which and apparently I put the phone in my pocket in infinitely random orientations.

The ultra wide lens is nice. I just wish the other one was more of a zoom lens, it feels like I can only do wide and insanely wide.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Apropos of American War Crimes Day, I am pretty loving well over iOS suggesting I turn off my work alarm for holidays that I will never have off.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

-

jabro fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 10, 2022

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

-

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Took airpod pros to the Apple Store and after a test, I left with a replacement for each ear.

It is somewhat jarring how I had gotten used to the crackling and now it is gone. I had honestly thought it was just age of the device over 2 years.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm considering getting an iPhone for the first time to give it a go. The biggest thing stopping me from switching is that I cannot text from my computer because iMessages seems to only have a mac client, and I'm too heavily invested in the windows world to switch. I'm in front of a computer a lot of the day and I love being able to use google messages and whatsapp on my browser instead of having to pick up my phone all the time.

Knowing that, and the annoyance that it's not USB-C and I'd have to re-buy some apps, are there other things that I'd be missing leaving android that I may not be considering?

I'm also considering a pixel 7 or pixel 7 pro, I have a pixel 4a currently.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dreesemonkey posted:

Knowing that, and the annoyance that it's not USB-C and I'd have to re-buy some apps, are there other things that I'd be missing leaving android that I may not be considering?

How much do you feel the need to constantly janitor your phone and feel like you must be in control of every single element?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1579521505699864580

16.0.3 is out. 950MB.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm considering getting an iPhone for the first time to give it a go. The biggest thing stopping me from switching is that I cannot text from my computer because iMessages seems to only have a mac client, and I'm too heavily invested in the windows world to switch. I'm in front of a computer a lot of the day and I love being able to use google messages and whatsapp on my browser instead of having to pick up my phone all the time.

I'm also considering a pixel 7 or pixel 7 pro, I have a pixel 4a currently.

Your friends and family will love you and want to start talking to you again which may be a huge downside.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can emulate the iPad version of Messages on Windows and it works well enough after a little setup.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Has anyone else been having issues with spotlight search? When I search for some things, it behaves as if it's not searching at all. For Maps in particular, it doesn't give me the app itself as a result.

canyonero fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 10, 2022

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

American McGay posted:

You can emulate the iPad version of Messages on Windows and it works well enough after a little setup.

How do?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

How much do you feel the need to constantly janitor your phone and feel like you must be in control of every single element?

I don't feel the need. I'm a pretty basic bitch phone user. Listen to podcasts, take pictures, waste time on social media. Same thing everyone else does, I guess.

The Dave posted:

Your friends and family will love you and want to start talking to you again which may be a huge downside.

Hah, my immediate family (spouse, siblings and their significant others) I whatsapp. Funny how we talk to different groups of people in different apps (text/whatsapp/fb messenger/discord). My text message group is highly android biased, strangely enough so I don't think my different colored bubble would make a large difference. I'm just a whiny pissbaby that the only messaging format I couldn't do from a PC is text/imessage.

I'm not sure what this is implying. A keyboard for the phone? A stand where I don't have to pick the phone up?

American McGay posted:

This is moderately intriguing, though I use 2 or 3 computers regularly and having to set it up and maintain it on all of them could be moderately annoying.

My wife has her old iPhone XR or something I could demo for a little while, I guess to see how I deal with it. Thanks for the input thus far.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm not sure what this is implying. A keyboard for the phone? A stand where I don't have to pick the phone up?

There’s Bluetooth keyboards with a switch that you can toggle for devices. So say you get a text while using your keyboard for your desktop, hit the switch for device 2 and then you can reply to your texts easily.

American McGay posted:

But this may potentially be a better answer, because I’ve never heard of this before.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

it's a keyboard with a built-in phone stand and output switcher. that one is the logitech k780 but there are others. sticking your phone in your keyboard stand and pressing a hotkey to send keyboard input to it might seem like kind of a crappy way to approximate imessage on your pc, but all the other ways are even crappier if you can believe that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

canyonero posted:

Has anyone else been having issues with spotlight search? When I search for some things, it behaves as if it's not searching at all. For Maps in particular, it doesn't give me the app itself as a result.

Yeah search has randomly been really slow. Sure it just doesn’t take a while? I also have some weird keyboard lag from time to time since the update but I hope that gets ironed out.