Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Kilometers Davis posted:

HFW is my GotY unless GoW.

I'm probably not gonna end up playing GoW for a while but I agree on HFW. I really loved Sifu but I wanted it to be longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MarcusSA posted:

The longer you wait the more they increase the price so you should get on it now so it increases in value.

:hmmyes:

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
A new ps5 went on sale in Australia in August, not sure if it's worldwide yet. But yeah, minor stuff but a new motherboard, smaller yet efficient heat sink with some sort of vent and it's lighter. Apparently the disk version weighs the same as the launch digital version now.

The CFI-1200

Hector Delgado fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 9, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Prometheus, Fury Road, and Dunc have like the most amazing slate of practical effects I think I've seen. Those 3 movies are predominantly practical + digital composits and it works so well.

Dunc looks so good. I usually have no idea where the line is between practical and CG and I hope I can keep it that way. Every time a spaceship lands or takes off with a billion people in attendance it's the coolest poo poo I've ever seen. I have specific landing scenes from the later text in mind that I'm excited to see put to film. I would watch a two hour movie of titanic spaceships touching ground with the grace and precision of a MacBook and clap like a seal the whole time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rageaholic posted:

You and me both :hfive:

MW2 and GoW come out within weeks of each other. My PS5 is gonna be getting a lot of use soon.

:sickos:

I’ve been totally out of the mp gaming world for a while. MW2 beta got me hooked. It’s so much fun. CoD was always the perfect game for me to just solo queue and take as seriously as I want from “who cares I’m gonna zone out pew pew and listen to a podcast” to “aiming to reach some deep flow elite gaming state”. I’m gonna have to grab this one for sure.

The fact that I heard it’s getting OG MW2 maps is peak nostalgia bait too and this fish is biting.

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm probably not gonna end up playing GoW for a while but I agree on HFW. I really loved Sifu but I wanted it to be longer.

I really should try Sifu. The updates to it sound great, I’m glad the devs are supporting it. I don’t love highly difficult games but martial arts games are my JAM.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hector Delgado posted:

A new ps5 went on sale in Australia in August, not sure if it's worldwide yet. But yeah, minor stuff but a new motherboard, smaller yet efficient heat sink with some sort of vent and it's lighter. Apparently the disk version weighs the same as the launch digital version now.

Yeah, new minor revs will continue to go out, but going off of all the big gaming brains i listen to all the time I don't see a 'slim' or 'pro' happening for at least 3 more years. If there was originally a plan to do something like that then covid hosed it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

Dunc looks so good. I usually have no idea where the line is between practical and CG and I hope I can keep it that way. Every time a spaceship lands or takes off with a billion people in attendance it's the coolest poo poo I've ever seen. I have specific landing scenes from the later text in mind that I'm excited to see put to film. I would watch a two hour movie of titanic spaceships touching ground with the grace and precision of a MacBook and clap like a seal the whole time.

hella this

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Oh yeah, I sure as hell wasn't waiting for a new version that's probably 2 years off and costs even more. I'm very happy with the ps5 I got with no regrets.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

:sickos:

I’ve been totally out of the mp gaming world for a while. MW2 beta got me hooked. It’s so much fun. CoD was always the perfect game for me to just solo queue and take as seriously as I want from “who cares I’m gonna zone out pew pew and listen to a podcast” to “aiming to reach some deep flow elite gaming state”. I’m gonna have to grab this one for sure.

The fact that I heard it’s getting OG MW2 maps is peak nostalgia bait too and this fish is biting.
MW2019 got the Rust map and I played it so much hahaha

I rarely take CoD seriously and almost always play it while listening to music or a podcast or whatever. I'm excited that the beta for this one felt a lot better to play than the last 2 CoD games, though!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really should try Sifu. The updates to it sound great, I’m glad the devs are supporting it. I don’t love highly difficult games but martial arts games are my JAM.

I started off on the easy setting and it still kicked my rear end for a while, but it's a really slick game, you feel like a badass when you figure out how to fight well and it makes nice use of the haptics too.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I'm too busy playing games from 2020 and 21 to have a GOTY for 2022 lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hector Delgado posted:

I'm too busy playing games from 2020 and 21 to have a GOTY for 2022 lol

my 2022 list is going to be loving stacked. lol i should start writing the entries now :suicide:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The gotys are for whatever games you played that year not necessarily only games released that year

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

My game of the year list is probably going to be:

1. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
2. Disco Elysium
3. GoW Ragnarok

Disco Elysium slips to the number 2 spot because I haven't played it this year.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Both tactics ogre reborn and gow2 come out next month and im much more excited for tactics ogre lol. Might get gow2 for xmas but probably won't play it til next year

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Both tactics ogre reborn and gow2 come out next month and im much more excited for tactics ogre lol. Might get gow2 for xmas but probably won't play it til next year

getting plague tale, gow, tactics ogre, callisto, and god willing valkyrie profile in late december

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

here we go folks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ElaX9LZRQ

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

getting plague tale, gow, tactics ogre, callisto, and god willing valkyrie profile in late december

Valkyrie profile is too late in the year its definitely a next year game now. But at least its absence has given me time to play ff14 for a bit. Will I have enough time and get far enough into sa goty 2021 ff14 endwalker for it to feature on my list??????

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Valkyrie profile is too late in the year its definitely a next year game now. But at least its absence has given me time to play ff14 for a bit. Will I have enough time and get far enough into sa goty 2021 ff14 endwalker for it to feature on my list??????

Persona 3 and Persona 4 also in January.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
tictac agro

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Anyone feel like posting a bunch of words about PS5 gaming headsets?

I was eyeing a set of Pulse 3D headphones. They’re $130 CAD and seem likely to go on sale for $100ish sometime over the next month or two. Reviews say they’re okay but not great.

SteelSeries Arctis 7P+ is on sale right now for $160 CAD. Lots of reviews saying they’re better than the Pulse 3D, but about 50% more expensive.

I’m open to other options if anyone has a better one. I’m in no rush if there’s something cool coming soon. I just want to make Demon Souls PS5 sound even fancier. :3:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Scored a PS5 Physical at GameStop today. The bundle was a second controller, jokes on them a second controller is useful.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, I charge one while I use the other, it's great

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I bought that controller charger when I got mine. It has been extremely useful and good.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Kilometers Davis posted:

HFW is my GotY unless GoW.

I'm only about 40 hours in and while I don't think it'll take Elden Ring off the top of my list, I am absolutely loving this game and just want to live in it. There are so many things I just want to roam around and do and explore. I just rolled through Las Vegas and got Poseidon back and now I just want to go jump in a lake. All the lakes.

The facial tech and traversal is so far and away better than the original, I'd love for them to bring it to the first game, as I liked that story a bit better. Sign me up for the rumored remaster.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BGrifter posted:

I was eyeing a set of Pulse 3D headphones. They’re $130 CAD and seem likely to go on sale for $100ish sometime over the next month or two. Reviews say they’re okay but not great.

SteelSeries Arctis 7P+ is on sale right now for $160 CAD. Lots of reviews saying they’re better than the Pulse 3D, but about 50% more expensive.

I’m open to other options if anyone has a better one. I’m in no rush if there’s something cool coming soon. I just want to make Demon Souls PS5 sound even fancier. :3:

I went for the Arctis 7P myself and love them. The USB-C dongle is occasionally a bit of a pain to deal with (and it blocks off the front USB-A port on the PS5 which strikes me as really stupid) but the sound quality’s great, no detectable lag, and the charge lasts for days at a time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
(belatedly) Speaking of cgi,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebHv5GZuY38

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

The gotys are for whatever games you played that year not necessarily only games released that year

2012-2022 dota. Rip

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s pretty cool

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BGrifter posted:

My favorite headset is the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 1

https://www.turtlebeach.com/products/stealth-700-refurbished-headset-ps4

I know it's an older headset but if you can find one new or refurbed like in that link above, check it out.

-Dongle connection to console PLUS a simultaneous BT connection. I like to watch movies, sports, etc while gaming, so this is great. I connect it to my computer via BT so I can do this while I game. If you use Discord for gaming, it's also great.

-My favorite feature, and one that I wish more headsets would do is true separate volume sliders for chat and game. Only the gen 1 does this because it has the optical out needed for the separate audio streams (game + Chat). On the PS4 and Pro it was easy to setup. On the PS4 Slim or PS5, the setup is a little more complicated, but it's a set it and forget it thing. If you do any sort of multiplayer or game chat otherwise, I would definitely look into it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I think there’s this weird difference between movies that are blatant cgi, like avengers, and movies that are literally filled with cgi but you’d never know it. Parasite, for instance, the entire 2nd floor (majority) of the house in every scene was cgi. Just about every movie uses cgi to complete a scene in someway. Sometimes small additions like lights or smoke or just more of something, sometimes adding entire backgrounds and objects and so on. That type of cgi is absolutely stellar. I guess Casnorf has the reason as to why the other blatant form of cgi sucks but they won’t share it with the group they just gonna bitch about it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I just finished Last of US 2. It was pretty good, but I did feel the last section of the game after the Abby and Ellie fight in the theater isn't as good as the rest of the game. 8.5/10. Definitely interested in what they do for the sequel.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

This happened to my podunk Walmart out in the Canadian East last week and my entire electronics dept was baffled. The last time Sony gave us PS5s they hand delivered them to us in a van and we had to sell them out of our manager's office by special request and now they're just in shipments on trucks with the rest of the stuff and we've got them behind glass. We got 8 of those Horizon bundles and another 8 on track. Nature truly is healing.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

BGrifter posted:

Dual Sense is amped so if you're into higher end headphones that sound great but don't have a mic that's another way to go.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think there’s this weird difference between movies that are blatant cgi, like avengers, and movies that are literally filled with cgi but you’d never know it. Parasite, for instance, the entire 2nd floor (majority) of the house in every scene was cgi.

So were nearly all the backgrounds and almost everything that wasn't the main actors. Set footage from the filming is hilariously amazing. A single white wall and endless greenscreens.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are you talking about

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A lot of movies and TV shows are like that now. We’re well past the point where if CGI isn’t being used to depict something very obviously impossible, you don’t even notice it

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I tried out Astro's Playroom because of this thread and as someone who has owned every PlayStation over the years, this game is an awesome nostalgia love letter on top of a great DualSense feature showcase.

I need to find a list of all the game references in the levels. I was surprised to see Heavy Rain :D

Edit: okay more games need playable/punchable credit sequences

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 10, 2022

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Yakuza 5 is a Nathan Fielder game. "We want to expand Yakuza games into the female market. They like idols. Well put an idol game into Yakuza," "what about the male audience?" "They're gamers, just tell them it's weird to play an idol game and make them play an idol game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah, the movie Zodiac was kind of a milestone in that regard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZS8OVyVr4

edit: by "that regard", I mean subtle CGI, not the idolification of the Yakuza games