Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

GoGoGadget posted:

FFXIV has proven that an MMO can launch in a disastrous state and come out on top of the industry. It just requires a competent director and a company that actually knows how to run a video game studio behind that director, of which Amazon seems to have neither.

This is wishful thinking on the same level as believing that one will get rich with cryptocurrency. There are demonstrable success stories, but the odds of recreating them are incredibly miniscule. It took more than a visionary director with a long leash to turn around XIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Eh, I’ve played this game casually (by poopsocker standards) over the last year and it’s improved enough in that time that I have faith they can meet any reasonable expectations for the game. I also acknowledge that there are people who just don’t like the game for what it is no matter how polished it ever gets and will continue to scream about it’s “failure” at passers by.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

GoGoGadget posted:

FFXIV has proven that an MMO can launch in a disastrous state and come out on top of the industry. It just requires a competent director and a company that actually knows how to run a video game studio behind that director, of which Amazon seems to have neither.

And also a company who can realistically expect to go bankrupt unless they salvage their flagship IP in an insane, all-in hail mary. Amazon obviously can't be faulted for not being in that situation, but any company that wasn't in that situation would've just cut their losses and shut FFXIV 1.0 down.

Also, I briefly tried the PTR for the big patch but just couldn't play it because the performance had gone down by an absolutely absurd degree. This was never an issue for me when I played around launch, even in massive open world zergs the game was at the very least comfortably playable. The PTR was utterly unplayable even with zero players in sight. Did somebody who also tried out the PTR happen to have played the main game recently who can say if A) they had the same PTR performance issues and B) can confirm the main game still runs as well on setups without $2000 GPUs

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Regarding the bank, I actually think the idea that resources are tied to a specific town is kind of interesting and neat but unless you combine that with some sort of system wherein you could lose your stuff for dying (including in PVP) which would make moving resources from one place to another actually meaningful, it is nothing other than a pointless hinderance. I suppose it's just one more weird system that comes across from their decision to pivot from a PVP game to a PVE game with some PVP. Plus having EVE-like regional markets only makes sense if there is a reason to be in one zone versus another and I'm not even sure they have that due to tying regions in the game to level ranges.

I kind of wish they'd really just pivot the game into having the zombies or whatever attacking the cities and having you all band together around that but even what small semblance of that system they have is locked behind being at level cap. Just like the main instanced pvp mode. Maybe after the 18th it will be less of a slog to get to that cap. Oh well. lol and lmao.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
I mean, it's pretty obvious that weaving items belong in Weaver's Fen bank.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Apparently there is now a 50% XP buff from now until Waking Sands comes out or whatever

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Cutedge posted:

Apparently there is now a 50% XP buff from now until Waking Sands comes out or whatever

Pray, return

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 6, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Heh, more like Poo World

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Fresh start, no transfer servers coming Nov. 2nd. They didn't say how many, only that it all has to originate on that server.

https://forums.newworld.com/t/notice-fresh-start-world-information/770467

Anyone planning on returning?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Fresh start, no transfer servers coming Nov. 2nd. They didn't say how many, only that it all has to originate on that server.

I do, but I'll probably return when the expansion comes out. I won't be playing enough to coordinate playing with anyone though.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Brimstone Sands comes out Oct 18th, so it'll be out in time for a fresh transfer start if you wanted. Unless you are just returning to your old character.

I've heard that with the player experience upgrades, leveling up to max level takes almost no time at all anymore and can be done by just doing the main quest line.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Brimstone Sands comes out Oct 18th, so it'll be out in time for a fresh transfer start if you wanted. Unless you are just returning to your old character.

I've heard that with the player experience upgrades, leveling up to max level takes almost no time at all anymore and can be done by just doing the main quest line.

I'm going to be starting a new character, but the fresh start servers won't be out yet. Depending on if I'm still actually playing, I may start over when those do hit. Who knows.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
They are really doing a content dump today:

https://forums.newworld.com/t/dev-blog-territory-management-changes/770466

They are making territory changes to remove the Everfall and Windsward advantages, spreading them out amongst the other territories. It's basically a new meter they can adjust as needed to bring down the tax that those 2 territories get and bring up the tax the other places get.

A 3rd character slot was also confirmed by one of the devs, on Twitter, but I think that post has been subsequently deleted. I can't find it anywhere anymore. Only the image on Reddit, which is here:

The also started a fresh server transfer questions megathread, and are answering questions there: https://forums.newworld.com/t/fresh-start-server-questions/762830

One of the responses that stuck out to me was that they will wait at least 6 months before allowing transfers from older servers onto the new ones, possibly never allowing them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ShowTime posted:

I am not going through the leveling process all over again. I don’t understand why anyone would want to put themselves through this. Only the 1 - 25 content is better, after that you have to slog through the worst parts that made everyone quit to begin with. Plus none of the in-game economic issues are being corrected yet, so these servers will just fall into the same trap all over again.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I hope they made major trophies more accessible somehow because that was by far the worst grind in the game and I don't wish it on fresh starters

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Just added this to my wishlist. Im playing on GFN so my MMO options are limited, GW2 didnt do it for me and im itching for an MMO experience. Will probably mess around with the game till nov 2nd and then fresh start.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
More like a crack itch i guess, just bought it full price, yikes. Im down to play with anyone, started yesterday on Olympus but i dont mind switching server if i get to do group stuff a bit. Was regretting buying because i want to go all in but have to restart on nov 2nd. Telling myself this will be my backup server if new servers go down for maintenance, etc...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

*taps the thread title that a mod edited*

But no seriously. :P I forgot where most goons have characters. I’ll have to get back to you with the server I am on, I don’t even remember.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm still 99% sure i'm not returning or playing this game again, but I do like to follow it, because at one time I had fun with it and I enjoy seeing the ups and downs. If they just double their playerbase with the inclusion of new servers, that would be a massive win for them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This might be a pretty fun thread to read next week when the new update comes out.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
lol and lmao, i went in completely blind, just backtracked the couple of threads on this game. Well see how much fun i can squeeze out of this, so far its pulling me in more than say guild wars 2 which i quit after 30mins.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

ShowTime posted:

I'm still 99% sure i'm not returning or playing this game again, but I do like to follow it, because at one time I had fun with it and I enjoy seeing the ups and downs. If they just double their playerbase with the inclusion of new servers, that would be a massive win for them.

They already did in the last couple of months. Average players in July was 13k and in September 25k.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have seen the player numbers get as high as 33,000 players.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Personally, im having fun. It gives me an old school MMO vibe, a bit like runescape and i dont get that alot these days (been playing MMOs since kunark EQ). Modernized, with engaging combat.

Im sure eventually i might run into the things people complain about but for now im enjoying it. I plan to pvp end game and thats what i read is not too good, so well see then.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Aster0ids posted:

Personally, im having fun. It gives me an old school MMO vibe, a bit like runescape and i dont get that alot these days (been playing MMOs since kunark EQ). Modernized, with engaging combat.

Im sure eventually i might run into the things people complain about but for now im enjoying it. I plan to pvp end game and thats what i read is not too good, so well see then.

This was me, too. It’s improved a lot and it’s still not perfect but it is different than other MMOs and more old school in a way I like. Outpost rush is fun.

Apr 7, 2003

Aster0ids posted:

The people complaining about it are the same sort of people who slammed through Luclin at an insane rate when it was released and spent months complaining about the lack of an end game. No one could make those people happy.

It's a fun game to log into and screw around with for an hour or two in the evening.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The people complaining about it are the same sort of people who slammed through Luclin at an insane rate when it was released and spent months complaining about the lack of an end game. No one could make those people happy.

It's a fun game to log into and screw around with for an hour or two in the evening.

Nah, the reasons people were quitting and complaining wasn't just content related. While the last thread made the state of the game look way worse than it actually was (for the last couple of months at least), launch period and the first couple of months were really bad. There were big game breaking bugs, I mean just look at how often they had to disable trading or crafting for example, it is embarrassing. Or how wars were decided by who had more users abusing the most recent weapon exploits.

Then the servers also got in a death spiral, because they waited so long with server merges. The first time I quit was because on top of all the problems even during prime time I could not find a single group to do anything, OPR matches never started, invasions and wars had like 15 people sign up, so why keep playing at that point? I know the last thread tried to make server mergers seem like a bad thing but that was bullshit. Player retention on an empty server is always going to be poo poo.

So if players have not retried the game themselves and only followed the reporting in the last thread as info (which pretty much only reported the bugs by someone who never played the game) they will obviously still have a similar view on the game as they did back then at the launch period. And lets be fair, some of the bugs they introduced since were hilarious. But they also fixed a lot of stuff and added quality of life improvements (banking and traveling both are so much better now for example), which went by unnoticed by a lot of people in the thread.

Personally, I tried again in august, after having played the launch period. The item level thing seemed like a boring grind, the war in-group / discord thing made me not want to bother with wars and grouping for dungeons was a hassle (I would very much just like match making group finders at this point), so I still bounced off it pretty fast again. But I can see how someone else might be less bothered by those things and have fun in this game as it is now.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 9, 2022

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I said come in! posted:

*taps the thread title that a mod edited*

But no seriously. :P I forgot where most goons have characters. I’ll have to get back to you with the server I am on, I don’t even remember.

I was on the original east coast goon server (Royllo) which after multiple merges is now Orofena. That said I don’t think there’s an organized presence in the game at the moment. Likely for the best.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Early game, on a new server, was definitely the most fun part of this game. Just running around in PvP, fighting people around your level, is very fun. Which is partly why i have an interest in new servers.

But I also did that end-game poo poo. Played on a big server, in the majority faction that controlled everything, did every war and invasion on the server, until I quit. I'm still 99% sure i'll never play this game again. The ONLY thing that has me interested in this game anymore is a fresh server, starting from 0, doing all that early, mid game poo poo amongst other players. That was honestly a ton of fun.

Then I think about what it became and wonder if I should bother. The territory changes are a start, but not enough. There really hasn't been a significant change to this games end game, other than making it faster, which really only moves you into other games just as fast.

I got so much poo poo for this, back in earlier threads, just saying basically "games good, but you should watch out for this and because this, it's not ready". Here we are a year later and they are just now even starting to turn things around. I'd wait until year 2 to really consider playing this game again, unless you are a truly big fan.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
I hopped back into it a couple months ago and am having fun after I stopped playing back in December. They have made some significant QOL improvements like a group finder, not needing keys for dungeons, challenging dungeon mutations, much faster expertise grind etc. I still think “end game” is still left a little wanting for content/refinement IMO but once they add raids (hopefully) next year and add more weapons and content like the upcoming Greatsword and Brimstone Sands region, I think a lot of returnees might be surprised at how much better the game will have improved if they give it a second look.

I saw some post saying the devs want to focus on adding more challenging solo content which I am all about. The mechanics of the game lend themselves well to small group things.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Yes, the focus on solo content was specifically mentioned in the last dev video. Should be interesting where they take it.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
I'm on a magical island and yet I can't swim..

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

FreeWifi!! posted:

I'm on a magical island and yet I can't swim..

water's haunted

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I can only imagine (hope) the no swimming aspect of the game is a relic of the old design, where the game was very PvP and territory control focused, so they wanted to create areas where conflict could be controlled. But deep down, I know it's just lazy, bad design.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

ShowTime posted:

I can only imagine (hope) the no swimming aspect of the game is a relic of the old design, where the game was very PvP and territory control focused, so they wanted to create areas where conflict could be controlled. But deep down, I know it's just lazy, bad design.

At least it doesn't just automatically kill you anymore. I'm fairly certain back when it was a PVP survival game that you just died when you went into the water.

Apr 7, 2003

GoGoGadget posted:

At least it doesn't just automatically kill you anymore. I'm fairly certain back when it was a PVP survival game that you just died when you went into the water.

just like real life

It’s sad that I’m excited about new content but I have to add 3 weeks to the release date in my head for when it will even be worth trying given their buggy release track record.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Does this expansion cost money, or is it just a big content patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

It’s not an expansion, it’s a patch. Expansion refers to an expansion of the playable map, which has probably been misused by way too many people that is now making many think it’s an expansion pack.