Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Ginka & Gluna has some really excellent character designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's a bit disappointing, because I feel like it doesn't deserve to be so low in the rankings compared to some of the other stuff present at the moment.

It's doing slightly better this week: https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/xt234c/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_44_october_3_2022/

What happened to High School Family to cause that sudden drop?

Not a fan of Ginka and Gluna. The protagonists still haven't been meaningfully challenged.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 3, 2022

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Silver2195 posted:

What happened to High School Family to cause that sudden drop?

Once again, I am forced to remind people that the table of contents order is not an absolute signifier of popularity/rating, and that the magazine editors can and will move series around for various reasons

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

Once again, I am forced to remind people that the table of contents order is not an absolute signifier of popularity/rating, and that the magazine editors can and will move series around for various reasons

It's still kind of weird to have High School Family in the back behind the walking dead series, though.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
High School Family is just batting clean up to leave a fresh taste in your mouth when you put down the magazine.

I like that we're in for another shogi rival arc for the little sister, this time against a Hikago-type.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
hasn't it been a thing for years to end the magazine on a gag manga? or am I mixing it up with something else

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

raocow posted:

hasn't it been a thing for years to end the magazine on a gag manga? or am I mixing it up with something else

It was a thing for a long time, but it's been more off-and-on lately.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kyte posted:

Super Smartphone is definitely speedrunning through its key plot points (and even skipping some of the connective tissue) but at least it seems it'll manage to tell the key points before the axe hits.

On the other hand, it still feels like the pacing is good? I noted it last week (or was that 2 weeks ago) that the introduction of the people behind the phones felt early. But so far the manga doesn't actually feel rushed rushed?
The only thing that felt a bit slapdash was that Sheomizu apparently stood up the big bad for a meeting we didn't know about? Or at least I didn't remember, despite seeming like a big deal.
It's an enjoyable read so far still. :) So the mangaka is doing a solid job.

Undead Unluck: This stuff is cool. So, where is Billy or is he still stuck fighting Unruin? I mean we know they're going to fail, but they're going fail spectacularly at that! :black101:

Mashle: Hurrah, more peanut gallery fights. :geno: Though this one was at least pretty funny.

Roboco: And then Roboco died. She didn't even get to see her own anime.

Elusive: I love these dumbass fights.

Sakamoto: Best character confirmed. Everyone knows Terminator 2 is the best movie :colbert:
I also kinda love how the movie director kinda sucks unless he uses movie things. It's a nice use of theme.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Tokyo Demon Bride Story: Battle shonen fits this series far better than harem. Manaka continues being the single best thing about the manga.

Ginka & Gluna: our duo of protagonists has solved every single threat, obstacle or issue introduced so far without even a hint of danger or effort and honestly, it's getting kind of boring.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ginka & Gluna: our duo of protagonists has solved every single threat, obstacle or issue introduced so far without even a hint of danger or effort and honestly, it's getting kind of boring.

Yep. We're four chapters in; at this point, Naruto was getting clowned on by Kakashi, Luffy accidentally broke a statue while looking for Zoro's swords, Gon and his friends had just passed the final pre-Hunter Exam test using all their skills combined and were wondering how the actual Hunter Exam could be even harder, and Jonathan Joestar was still a child being bullied by his adoptive brother. Gon and Jonathan didn't even have superpowers yet. Meanwhile Ginka and Gluna have just been easily succeeding at things for four chapters straight with their vaguely defined magical powers.

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022
It seems like G&G is going for something like Sakamoto Days or OPM or whatever where the protagonists are overpowered but it's not really funny and the action isn't interesting. Probably not gonna last long.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We also haven't established anything about what the limits of the characters or magic in general are- are people limited to types? Okay there's wands I guess- do you really need one? What does a mage battle even look like? I mean if you're gonna do battles we kinda need to know the rules.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: It's cute how Karashi's trynna pull the rivalry card with the "I'm your senpai in literally every respect" stuff and Akane's just like, "Oh sweet, I know someone here!" Meanwhile, Akane has an uphill battle ahead of her - as was brought up in the previous chapter, the deck is stacked against her because most non-Shiguma family rakugoka are already biased against her because of Issho's shenanigans. And it makes sense; we the readers see Akane's journey and know she's 100% dedicated to her cause, but from the view of the public, she does seem like Issho's most recent attempt at artificially building up a new superstar - Issho deliberately requested that high schoolers be allowed to participate (Akane just coincidentally happens to be a high schooler during the tournament), Akane joined Issho's school (Arakawa school, though as readers know, there's tension between Shiguma and Issho), and Issho has precedent with Kaisei. Plus, regardless of Akane's intentions, Issho probably really does intend for her to become big, since that lines up with his plans for promoting rakugo.

I have no doubt that Akane will win over those who have it out for her, cause pompadour dudes generally turn out to be cool dudes, but it'll be neat seeing her struggle against undeserved scrutiny. She's not an amateur anymore, she's in the pro leagues now!

Elusive Samurai: RIP Ishido, you were a real one and also the only member of your group to have integrity (see: hypocritical righteous dude, schemer, and rapist). I see Ishido was #TeamAyako to the end, though interestingly, his imaginary waifu was probably inspired by Shizuku, given that he believes he 'saw' her at Suwa, where Shizuku serves as a shrine maiden.

G&G: I'm fine with G&G being overpowered for now, it's just like my webtoons (and I read a lot of webtoons). I do not think shounen manga casts necessarily have to be tested or struggle early on. Heck, y'all bring up Naruto and HxH, but Luffy didn't really struggle in the first two arcs either (Alvida + Morgan). Pretty sure Natsu just walked through the earlier fights in Fairy Tail too, though I've erased much of FT from my mind. I figure when G&G are really tested, then poo poo will hit the fan.

Mashle: You know I really thought it was Mash at the end there but obviously it couldn't be, Mash is dead.

Roboco and Me: Fuckin' meta chapter, I dig it but at the same time it feels sorta meh cause Roboco has had a bunch of chapters that have this "end of the manga" feel. Though I guess this one goes above and beyond by actually referencing it + using the 4th wall break.

Sakamoto Days: No surprise that the filmmaker dude is strong, he literally got his job as an Order member by killing an Order member. Also Slur's dudes are generally super strong in general, Gakku is a freaking beast himself. Interesting that Order dude claims he doesn't really have any assassination skills - I guess his fighting gimmick is solely movie filming-related, since he only ever seems to use the slate. poo poo's going down, yo.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

G&G: I'm fine with G&G being overpowered for now, it's just like my webtoons (and I read a lot of webtoons). I do not think shounen manga casts necessarily have to be tested or struggle early on. Heck, y'all bring up Naruto and HxH, but Luffy didn't really struggle in the first two arcs either (Alvida + Morgan). Pretty sure Natsu just walked through the earlier fights in Fairy Tail too, though I've erased much of FT from my mind. I figure when G&G are really tested, then poo poo will hit the fan.

Luffy didn't struggle in a fight pre-Buggy, but he still had more trouble than Ginka and Gluna are having. As I said, Luffy in chapter 4 is trying to find Zoro's swords and accidentally breaks a statue. Plus he has a weakness established in chapter 1 (he can't swim). Similarly, I think Natsu's motion sickness and tendency to destroy property during fights come up early on too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

donotpost posted:

It seems like G&G is going for something like Sakamoto Days or OPM or whatever where the protagonists are overpowered but it's not really funny and the action isn't interesting. Probably not gonna last long.

I feel like "not interesting" has been unfortunately common in Jump lately. It's nearing two years since Elusive started, and none of the action series in Jump since then have caught on.

Akane, Witch, and Blue Box are doing well, and it's great to have non-action series, but with most of the big action titles moving in the general direction of finales, I really want to see something exciting on that front.

(At minimum, I've been seeing much less talk about the magazine as a whole over the last couple of years. Don't know why, but the enthusiasm for mag talk doesn't seem to be as common in many places.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Other weekly shonen manga where the main characters were already facing meaningful obstacles (not necessarily literal fights) by chapter 4:
  • Psyren
  • Demon Slayer
  • The Elusive Samurai
  • The Promised Neverland
  • My Hero Academia
  • Undead Unluck

I'm sure there are plenty of others people could list.

Whereas I'm having trouble thinking of counterexamples that aren't either rapidly-cancelled series generally considered bad or gag manga.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 4, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
G&G is new-style shounen, old man, get on with the times.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

G&G is new-style shounen, old man, get on with the times.

Chainsaw Man had the protagonist get killed in chapter 1, have a little trouble facing the muscle devil in chapter 2, and get beat up in an alley in chapter 3.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

Chainsaw Man had the protagonist get killed in chapter 1, have a little trouble facing the muscle devil in chapter 2, and get beat up in an alley in chapter 3.

Yeah and Chainsaw Man is a stellar manga that's absolutely entrenched in traditionalism, which makes sense since Fujiwara's a huge classical film buff.

It's new age but old age at the same time.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://mangadex.org/chapter/3f1d3816-a956-42eb-bfe5-cdd0ffee4778/1

Ch.4 of the zombie manga by Katsuwo, of Bocchi and Mitsuboshi Colors fame. I don't know what thread to post it in, really, so I put it here too!! I like it! ok

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

This flashback was already going to be 100% turbo hosed but then water priest is the one who loving invited Beelzebub into her home on top of living in a place only called "A live stock farm". Not the Canterbury farm or the Preston farm. Just signposting what is going to happen to her family as bluntly as possible and she doomed them all with a smile on her every so young and naive face.

This is why you raise kids to never talk to vaguely french strangers that obey vampire laws.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m pretty sure the author of Super Smartphone has been told it’s getting cancelled because it is moving a mile a minute.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Man is Sakamoto Days really, really good. I hate the director but at least Sensei got one solid hit in the end

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

The Black Stones posted:

I’m pretty sure the author of Super Smartphone has been told it’s getting cancelled because it is moving a mile a minute.

Oh yeah. Ain't no way a face-to-face confrontation with the main antagonist and "I am giving up the special ability that is the entire premise of the story" spells anything except the run's over. Shame. I really was enjoying it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I guess it must have been sudden considering thet just introduced the supporting cast.

It is so hard to get invested in anything interesting since it all dies basically instantly

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

ImpAtom posted:

I guess it must have been sudden considering thet just introduced the supporting cast.

It is so hard to get invested in anything interesting since it all dies basically instantly

I mean, that goes without saying, right? If you have a magazine that frequently drops series of middling popularity, the correct response is to not get invested in its new series. If you can’t read a series without getting invested, then it’s best to simply avoid them altogether until it’s clear they’re successful. That’s certainly what I do with SJ, although I mostly just am subbed to keep up with the one or two long-running series I like.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, absolutely everything's at arms length untill at least five volumes or high critical praise.

It's an awful way to gain traction, and its asking for everything to go to Hell the moment One Piece wraps, but this rag's beaten it into me to not expect any thing in that regard.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

In all likelihood the whole reason why the manga decided to speedrun introducing the rest of the cast was because it was either already axed or at least on notice due to bad rankings. Volume one apparently sold less than loving Earthchild so that would've been the final nail in the coffin. FWIW Alines also seems to be on the chopping block which is no surprise since again, consistently at the bottom of the magazine and terrible sales for the first volume. I think both suffered from not having the best start which probably honestly was enough to kill them. But I'll take a merciful axe over the Doron situation where it just kept going past the point where it was obviously over.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, absolutely everything's at arms length untill at least five volumes or high critical praise.

It's an awful way to gain traction, and its asking for everything to go to Hell the moment One Piece wraps, but this rag's beaten it into me to not expect any thing in that regard.

Shonen Jump has always been like this. It's actually less ruthless than back in the day. The only difference is that Western readers are seeing the process now.

I think another problem right now is that the last likely hit, Ruridragon, is on indefinite hiatus due to non sales issues, so the flops are packed in more without anything to look good in comparison.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Elusive: We're allmost at the end of the weirdo's.

Mashle: Are...we really retreading the windup thing AND having everyone from the attack team get worfed by sword guy?

Roboco: :ohdear: You know, Iexpected a Ruri Dragon or shen long reference

Super smartphone: Again, it seems like the author is going to stick the landing. This manga was good.

Undead: :black101:

Sakamoto: So is she dead or not? :ohdear: Don't play with the best girl like this. :argh:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Sakamoto: So is she dead or not? :ohdear: Don't play with the best girl like this. :argh:

Seems the former, just a bit of rigor mortis to give the Director the middle finger.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, even if Super Smartphone is being told to wrap up...It seems like a tidy little manga.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
More importantly

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1579639580395188224?s=20&t=lY8AxF49hdgewxp4XJgQpA

HxH is back in 2 weeks

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I do think the Smartphone author has a hit waiting somewhere in his career, he's good at drawing characters and seems to know how to up the ante throughout a story pretty well.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah I definitely think he's someone to watch.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Hoshen Engi and Hunter X Hunter are now available as individual chapters in the Jump app :toot:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Every goddamn chapter of Hunter x Hunter.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Good cause I need to recap this arc. I read the most recent chapter and have almost no memory of it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: This is a nice chapter. It highlights one of Akane's flaws - she'll generally do things at face value and is eager to please which means she'll excel at one thing but lose sight of the hidden lesson - as well as her strengths - once she realizes what she should be doing, you can't keep this girl down. She's not the blind newbie rookie who has no idea how things go, nor is she the super genius who instantly figures poo poo out and doesn't even loving falter once.

Here, there's no one to teach her directly as they did in the Shiguma family. She has to watch and learn how more seasoned veterans perform, AND she has to network at the same time. I like it, it's neat, it's a relatively fresh take on a training arc in a shounen manga. I sorta wonder if Karashi doing that muttering in Akane's earshot was deliberate, it's sorta framed that way, but at the same time, could be just Karashi being Karashi. It's also nice how they depict the two different perspectives - Akane (who's mostly focused on being a good zenza) is just noting that the bit was a hit with the crowd, but Karashi is taking note of how the bit was a hit. I like Karashi's inclusion here, he's a nice rival for Akane to bounce off of now (as opposed to back then, when Akane utterly outclassed him).

Lookin' forward to how Akane starts getting into things now!

Elusive Samurai: Bye sex pest dude, I won't miss you. Also drat that double kick into a slash was some hype poo poo, man's literally using juggling tech in real(?) life to combo Kojiro. That loving gash in Kojiro's arm looked devastating. Also laugh out loud that Kojiro is taking on his lord's fetishes. Good poo poo.

G&G: Ooh, lore. Also drat this world seems pretty hosed up, with that magic teacher dude lookin' pretty creepy.

Mashle: Egh seriously the power discrepancy between Oldest Brother and the rest of the brothers is eye-roll-worthy and an indicator that going by a shounen formula can be pretty meh if you don't pull it off well.

Roboco and Me: Finally, pro-

Sakamoto Days: No... Sensei... At least she went out like a legend.

Honestly wondering how things are gonna come together with the Order side and Amane's dad, or if this is going to lead to Amane joining the Sakamoto family and Amane sorting out issues with his dad in a later arc. Does make me wonder how the manga's gonna juggle the cast in future arcs; we got Sakamoto, Shin, Heisuke, that drunk kungfu girl whose name I no longer remember, the invisibility tech guy, the tech guy's germophobic younger brother, the Sakamoto fangirl (now the Slur fangirl?), Amane, and of course Akira. I guess the tech dude and his brother and the fangirl are probably not joining.

Also digging Sakamoto's consistent use of his surroundings to fight, like blowing dandelions to blind the enemy or kicking a cactus to send chunks of it flying around. Though it seems like it doesn't really work against an Order-level opponent in Sakamoto's current condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

I do think the Smartphone author has a hit waiting somewhere in his career, he's good at drawing characters and seems to know how to up the ante throughout a story pretty well.

Same. Characters were distinct, premise was good enough (if a little too Death note), execution was generally good and as things are going I'd say he's going to stick the landing as well. That alone is commendable.