Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Valentin posted:

right, sure, I get what it's going for. it's just not a cleanly enough made point (or frankly, a meaningful or interesting enough one) to not feel like it's undermining itself.

also it rings a little hollow against the guy whose whole gimmick is making powerful combos out of quirks he took from people unwillingly. yeah I guess their intents will matter when their quirk ghosts rebel and kill him but that's a single blip weighed against like a century of quirk theft actually working great
This is the one time where the term "quirk" is too clever by half since the literal translation "individuality" sort of fits better in writing for the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

eh I think the translated term is fine. the speech would work totally fine if it was for like, the vigilantes guy (I haven't read vigilantes), since to my understanding that's all about how a seemingly useless quirk gets turned into a tool of justice. or it could work here if this was like, mirio and ochako. but for deku and his seven very straightforwardly useful quirks (spider sense, smoke screen, Be Stronger and Be Stronger 2 being the most obvious ones. float could've been interesting but with the super strength it seems to functionally just be flight) it is not a very compellingly portrayed point

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I think it makes sense given that AFO starts the chapter talking about how Gear Shift was a super weak quirk when the 2nd user was alive and could only affect small objects. The individual quirk is weak - being willing to surrender the quirk and give it to someone else allows it to become strong. It's like if Mama Midoriya's quirk got rolled into OFA. Right now all she can do is pull small objects towards her but if it got a massive power boost like OFA, you could imagine her slinging entire buildings around telekinetically.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I was thinking about why we see AFO crying in the scene where he's killing the Second. I think I figured it out: the very existence of the Second and his rebellion against AFO means that he's just found out his brother is dead, and the only thing remaining of him are the two Quirks that fused into One For All and was passed down to the Second.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fabricated posted:

The idea is that the super powerful combination only exists because these people willingly passed them on to others

Yes but they couldn't do that without the super special unique power that let them do that.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Nuebot posted:

Yes but they couldn't do that without the super special unique power that let them do that.

Which also is two super special unique powers that somehow fused together into one.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Delphisage posted:

Which also is two super special unique powers that somehow fused together into one.

Neither power was all that special on their own though. One was a quirk that got stronger over time and the other was the ability to pass on your own quirk. Even at the start, OfA was created by combining two relatively minor powers together.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Valentin posted:

okay it's very funny to have deku detail meticulously how he's comboing his quirks and then have the second be like "so you see all for one it was never about the meta abilities themselves, it's about why people use them." I get the intent but those probably should have been not on the literal same page.

It is also very funny given that Deku is overpowering AFO who cannot use his quirks at the moment.

Fabricated posted:

The idea is that the super powerful combination only exists because these people willingly passed them on to others

Idea noted even though a character exists who could also use the super powerful combination if he stole it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I was thinking about why we see AFO crying in the scene where he's killing the Second. I think I figured it out: the very existence of the Second and his rebellion against AFO means that he's just found out his brother is dead, and the only thing remaining of him are the two Quirks that fused into One For All and was passed down to the Second.

I'm thinking the tears also have something to do with him realizing that he can't steal his brother's quirk, the first time he's ever been denied something in his life.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
When did the official translation start saying "meta ability" instead of "quirk?" That's lame.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

When did the official translation start saying "meta ability" instead of "quirk?" That's lame.

That's how they show some characters are boomers who can't get with the times.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Objection withdrawn

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Flesnolk posted:

Objection withdrawn

Yeah it's specifically anyone on the side of the Meta-Liberation Army that uses Meta Power, I think?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah it's specifically anyone on the side of the Meta-Liberation Army that uses Meta Power, I think?

Or people that are pretty old like the Second and All for One cause that is what they were called back then.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It was extremely weird of this chapter to paint AfO as the underdog at the moment

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"It's not fair! Mon said it's MY turn to use Quirks!" - All for Shiggy

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Flair posted:

Idea noted even though a character exists who could also use the super powerful combination if he stole it.

Yeah, it's pretty bizarre. AfO is like the one character in the manga that definitely knows about quirk combos and uses them himself. It's as if Luke boasted that Light Side gives him powers Palpatine can't even imagine and then using Force Push.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

I think it makes sense given that AFO starts the chapter talking about how Gear Shift was a super weak quirk when the 2nd user was alive and could only affect small objects. The individual quirk is weak - being willing to surrender the quirk and give it to someone else allows it to become strong. It's like if Mama Midoriya's quirk got rolled into OFA. Right now all she can do is pull small objects towards her but if it got a massive power boost like OFA, you could imagine her slinging entire buildings around telekinetically.

I mean, quirks starting out weak until you work hard and practice a lot is like a core part of this manga, and the focus of multiple training chapters. If Deku's mother had gone to hero school and worked hard, got swole and used her quirk for more than grabbing her phone from across the room, it probably would've been very useful in combat even without weird OFA/AFO bs.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was extremely weird of this chapter to paint AfO as the underdog at the moment

The villains have always been the underdogs, they're fighting all of society after all. It's the same thing that happened with Shigaraki during the war. At the start, he was dominating but after Aizawa showed up and everyone started fighting him together he had to Plus Ultra to keep up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fabricated posted:

If selflessness and willingness to sacrifice was supposed to be the deciding factor in this fight, I guess no one informed the field of heroes currently bleeding out all over the ground in pieces, because they sure seemed pretty selfless and self-sacrificing to me. Perhaps moreso than Deku, because they went in with normal people super powers instead of Deku's ultra super powers.

Nephthys posted:

The villains have always been the underdogs, they're fighting all of society after all. It's the same thing that happened with Shigaraki during the war. At the start, he was dominating but after Aizawa showed up and everyone started fighting him together he had to Plus Ultra to keep up.

The villains haven't really been the underdogs in any meaningful sense since Super Shigaraki first woke up. Society collapsed into rubble like ten minutes after that happened and hero society fell apart and everything was so hosed that civilians were either cowering in ruins or congregating to limited safe areas like UA while the villains ran around doing whatever they wanted.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I remember watching the anime and was pleased at the emphasis on teamwork. Now the manga has the same spirit of teamwork, just in one person. Now that's efficiency!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The other thing I felt while reading this chapter is that Horikoshi is really, really wanting to speed things to a conclusion

Considering what the work cycle for a manga author is like I hope he’s doing ok

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

TheKingofSprings posted:

The other thing I felt while reading this chapter is that Horikoshi is really, really wanting to speed things to a conclusion

Considering what the work cycle for a manga author is like I hope he’s doing ok

I don't think using the "...merely a setback!" trope is considered speeding things along.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tetrabor posted:

I don't think using the "...merely a setback!" trope is considered speeding things along.

It is when every chapter ends with it when it clearly would be the big turning point in a longer slower paced fight in any other story. And in the earlier arcs of this story

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Remember when the heroes were throwing out all their endgame supermoves and the villains simply shrugged it off and got even stronger without doing anything for a month straight?

Good times

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Tetrabor posted:

Bouncing from setpiece to setpiece without any character development is what people label "rushing".

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I, for one, like how when Deku shifts gears, he's making the motions with his hands.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Have they switched this to a bi-weekly manga now? It feels like there's a 2 week gap every other issue.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

serious gaylord posted:

Have they switched this to a bi-weekly manga now? It feels like there's a 2 week gap every other issue.

Hori's lost a lot of motivation to keep this manga running, and he's dedicated himself to drawing nonstop action. It's not a surprise.

How many breaks did Naruto have during the Ninja War?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Has he actually said that or are you just parasocially assuming that's the case?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Scholtz posted:

Has he actually said that or are you just parasocially assuming that's the case?

Parasocial. Sorry.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I mean it's not completely unfounded, the manga industry is infamous for being a machine that chews people up and spits them out, and the extra spice on top is that you get to make something you're (probably) passionate about, then potentially have meaningful creative control taken from you.

I don't know what, if any, extra-Horikoshi factors have caused the recent dip gulf in quality/pacing, but I hope he's doing ok

e: also you don't have to apologize, I was more critical than I meant to sound but it's basically impossible to not be at least a little parasocial, especially when consuming art

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 15, 2022

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Parasocial conclusions are more reliable than official statements or interviews, I think.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If I made a hyper-popular manga, I would also rush it to an end once I was confident that I'd make enough money to be financially secure for the rest of my life. Then write for a monthly magazine with a less insane schedule.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think that’s what Araki Jojo did. He made his money and now he just reads Wikipedia articles and writes chapters about them

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4707/my-hero-academia-chapter-370

Shouji face reveal!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
...this really rubs me the wrong way. What am I supposed to feel about watching this big uprising of marginalized people getting beaten back by the police with taser shields? Literally being manipulated by a shadowy organization for nefarious purposes? Positioning Anima and this other guy against them specifically so they can chastise the rioters for rioting and have the moral high ground cause they're also mutants? I dunno this chapter just feels very weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hatty posted:

I think that’s what Araki Jojo did. He made his money and now he just reads Wikipedia articles and writes chapters about them
toriyama just made a bunch of oneshots after dbz, and occasional serailizations that ran for a few months. and frankly, good for him.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

TheHan posted:

...this really rubs me the wrong way. What am I supposed to feel about watching this big uprising of marginalized people getting beaten back by the police with taser shields? Literally being manipulated by a shadowy organization for nefarious purposes? Positioning Anima and this other guy against them specifically so they can chastise the rioters for rioting and have the moral high ground cause they're also mutants? I dunno this chapter just feels very weird.

I think the idea is that the 'mutants' have a reason and a right to be furious even if it's clearly being exploited by AfO and they are being shown to have a point. Nobody in this chapter is really contradicting anything they're saying, Anima just begs them to stop. The problem that Shouji brings up at the ends is valid however, they're attacking a hospital full of patients that haven't been evacuated on the orders of a clearly evil madman in AfO/Shiggy and it has nothing to do with their clause.

Also please tell me the Star Wars references were added by the translators. There's on the nose and then there's this translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Order 66, lmao.