Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

Have you tried just being a wizard?

It's a serious exploration of the wizard shotgun meme and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

These Ar'kendrithyst chapters seem to be getting increasingly long! I'm into the early 70s now IIRC. I think all the stuff with Jane and the unicorns was only one chapter, somehow.

It's amazing how it still manages to stay engaging, though. The only times in the entire story so far when my attention has wavered have been when he first studies enchanting and when he's making the light slime dungeon.

In the most recent chapter he became all fit and limber again thanks to Rozala's Recovery and its pissing me off because I'm 36 (turning 37 in less than a month) and trying to get back into regular weight-lifting and finding it much harder than it was when I was 23.

My 2 favorite parts of Ar'Kendrithyst are still ahead of you, Shadow's Feast and the Worldly Path(which is probably by itself like 25% of the entire story)

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 30, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How do these countless conversations between Erick and various people brainstorming about magic somehow manage to still be compelling?

This author is very good at writing smooth and easy to read dialogue.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Going back and reading through Ar'Kendrithyst, I forgot just how terrifying the Headmaster was to Erick and how much of a dick he was at times. Especially compared to the current story where if I had to bet on a fight between Erick and the Headmaster, I might lean towards Erick.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I'm more upset at (Ar'kendrithyst - something before chapter 82, which is where I'm at now) Krakina dying than the death of any other web serial character. It's sad that her and Erick never really "reconciled" after she was freaked out by his demonstration of Withering.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

39k words lol

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Ar’Kendrithyst has reminded me: I love disguise arcs. I love seeing the main character go incognito, and seeing them interact with people and form relationships that they couldn’t with the reputation they have otherwise. I love seeing other folks try to puzzle out who they are, or make false assumptions. It’s just fun every time.

What are folks’ favorite disguise stories in web serials? I remember really enjoying every time in the Guide that Catherine talks to someone who doesn’t know who she is; her first meeting with Hanno of Arwad comes to mind, as does an earlier chapter where she chats with a random citizen in Callow (in… Marchford, I want to say?) And of course there’s the Practical Guide to Sorcery, where this is basically the premise.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Speaking of Ar'Kendrithyst, the author posted that the hurricane nearly destroyed their house so there will be a 2 week break at minimum.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peachfart posted:

Speaking of Ar'Kendrithyst, the author posted that the hurricane nearly destroyed their house so there will be a 2 week break at minimum.

:staredog:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I just finished book 4, what someone described as the beginning of the wandering arc and uh, I didn't see that going where it did. That's the sort of thing you expect to see as a story is ending.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ar'kendrithyst 83 - I think that this stuff with giving away high stat rings to kids is probably the first extremely dumb thing Erick has tried to do where there's basically no excuse given how long he's been there and what he knows. He should have simply asked Eriliad what would have been an appropriate sort of help.

edit: Also this stuff with Zago is kind of Silverite's fault for not setting aside a few minutes to just frankly discuss this stuff with him at some point.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 2, 2022

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Ar'k 206:
Literally all the gods: Get in the robot Shinji Become a Dragon Erick.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm sorry, I reread it and the hurricane completely destroyed where they were living, so they moved somewhere where the house is only partly destroyed. Poor guy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ar'kendrithyst 93 - So there actually is a direct answer to the Jane CIA stuff. She explicitly mentions how she knew she knew she would have been harming others (and how it's kind of nice that in this world there's a clear and obvious productive outlet for violence).

edit: Erick is starting to be with (Chapter 103) Duplicate like I am any time I decide to use console cheats in a game. It always starts out as "I'm just gonna give myself a little money to make this part easier and grind up the rest normally"

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 7, 2022

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Anyone still reading https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/56949/immortality-starts-with-generosity

It's been kinda hit or miss but I like the direction the last chapter went with Separating from Lan Fen, leaving for different scenery, and clearing things up with Song Yuelin. Lots of the RR comments are hating on Fen but thought what she did was pretty in character. I think Haoran is wrong about her staying married for the Canyon Carving sword since her Tyrant called it garbage and she was only practicing it to help Haoran understand it IIRC.

Hope after next chapter Haoran stops being a jerk and treating Yuelin like an enemy because that has been getting old.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I've been keeping up with it. Honestly, the names have been giving me trouble the last couple chapters, with the new characters, many of whom are part of the same family and so share a name.

I do like this last chapter. Maybe the main character's justified state of paranoia can be thawed a little.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Kyoujin posted:

I think Haoran is wrong about her staying married for the Canyon Carving sword since her Tyrant called it garbage and she was only practicing it to help Haoran understand it IIRC.

I think the motivation was supposed to be less that she really wants Canyon Carving Sword and more that the Chen family might send assassins after her for "stealing" a secret family technique.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pale Lights: I like Tristan and Sarai's whole dynamic. Tristan is pretty interesting as one of the protagonists in general, and I'm very curious what's going on with the stuff Sarai hinted at about her, Tristan, and some others being special cases in the Watch exam. I hope she sticks around.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
DOUBLE ARK!!!!

Oh, a jane chapter....

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

shirunei posted:

DOUBLE ARK!!!!

Oh, a jane chapter....

lol, had this literal exact thought. But I'm just glad that he was able to start writing again so quickly!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ar'Kendrithyst Patreon I think Jane is going to have a breakdown soon about her father being so much more important and powerful than her.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Jane is so immature, but in a way that feels so true to a very moralistic 22 year old. It rules.

The way her hang ups get in the way of just working for her dad is very funny. She wants to be a paladin and serve a cause she believes in. Do righteous and necessary violence without needing to worry about the all the complicated subtle stuff. But even with house benevolence being a perfect vehicle for that, she is lost because her issues with her dad stop her from committing there.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ar'kendrithyst 112 - Erick is going to the shadow feast now (or rather he's been on his way for a while and it seems like it's getting sorta close to actually starting). No idea where this is going, but it's very interesting.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Ar'kendrithyst 112 - Erick is going to the shadow feast now (or rather he's been on his way for a while and it seems like it's getting sorta close to actually starting). No idea where this is going, but it's very interesting.

That was the arc that really hooked me. You are in for a ride.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

This arc got me to subscribe to the Patreon, and I'm excited that the next Shadow's Feast is about to happen!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I am really looking forward to all the shade's presentations. Someone theorized the idiocy of the sovereign cities war was spurred by shades, and that's a good idea. All of the angel stuff that just happened makes me think there could be a quiet war component as well. We know Lapis has been helping counteract the converter angel, who is an ominously dangling Chekhov's gun. The converter angel and the super racist incani with the star of koyabez could seriously threaten Erick, so I hope we get some more info about them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ar'kendrithyst 113 - Erick...stop ogling the shades...

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Ar'kendrithyst 113 - Erick...stop ogling the shades...

Erick will never stop being horny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It is genuinely remarkable to me that the Ar'kendrithyst guy can write these numerous believable discussions between characters about a fictional magic system. Don't think I've ever encountered anything quite like it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's probably the only web serial where I really felt like it was a believable place. there's always an answer in the text somewhere for any insignificant political, economic, or technical detail it's insane.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Even better, there's usually multiple overlapping answers for any big question. You'll often get an explanation for something that feels really involved, and then later revelations will layer on top of it additional nuance. It gives some really impressive verisimilitude.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

TWI Patreon - Ridiculous chapters like today's are why TWI has it's hooks in me and why I don't think I'll ever get away.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rob may be in a spot of bother after the latest public chapter.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
TWI Patreon chapter is the absolute pinnacle of Erin's chess antics, it's incredible.

tithin posted:

Rob may be in a spot of bother after the latest public chapter.

I can't figure out what this is referring to; I don't think it's Ar'Kendrithyst, and I don't know of a Rob in TWI either.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Argue posted:

I can't figure out what this is referring to; I don't think it's Ar'Kendrithyst, and I don't know of a Rob in TWI either.
Outcast in Another World, he's the protagonist (did that get renamed? I haven't been following it at all)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Outcast in Another World, he's the protagonist (did that get renamed? I haven't been following it at all)

Yeah, this one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I finished the shadow feast stuff in Ar'kendrithyst! It was very good. I didn't really mind the whole thing with Erick becoming super powerful at the end, mainly because it explained long before that point and was explicitly godly intervention + Melemizargo dropping support for the shades (I guess both count as "godly intervention"), with Erick just sort of being used as the "tool" for part of that purpose. The whole direction the plot took throughout the "arc" was also very well done - it managed to surprise me in a number of ways. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens as a result of this.

I'm happy the cock-sock shade survived. I wonder if the empathy-ized shades will ever show up again.

Speaking of the empathy'd shades, it isn't clear to me what their "Repent, sinner" quest does. Do they lose the empathy blessing if they complete it? Or is it a "they must complete it or die" sort of thing?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 14, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

.Z. posted:

TWI Patreon - Ridiculous chapters like today's are why TWI has it's hooks in me and why I don't think I'll ever get away.

TWI Patreon, incredibly missed opportunity to not involve anal beads

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lone Goat posted:

TWI Patreon, incredibly missed opportunity to not involve anal beads

I'm sorry, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted: