Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the tournament matchups in ka were random, no? it was a definite step up from the purgatory tournament in omega, where it was 75% mirror matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
While I hope Ryuki loses and it mirrors the Kengan tourney I think he’ll win, just because Adam’s tattoos are apparently a pain in the rear end to draw.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the tournament matchups in ka were random, no? it was a definite step up from the purgatory tournament in omega, where it was 75% mirror matches.

Only the order they chose was random(except for Kazzy because he has super eyes)

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 7, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, i mean the author literally randomized it instead of planning out each matchup. that's what he claimed, at least.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ah that’s probably true for most of the matches but some were clearly intentional(like Rihito having the last pick and being forced against Gensai, and the Doctor going after Bando). Unless he developed the characters AFTER the tourney bracket? That would be…weird

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 7, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bando's entire deal was incredibly shallow. his backstory, his motivation, his fighting style, his very presence in the tournament. making it out that no, he was actually very important for reasons that didn't make any sense and his opponent was there specifically to assassinate him all strikes me as very low effort. then there was the mickey mouse guy, who was completely redesigned between his initial appearance and fight. he mostly disappeared after that, too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Nobody in Purgatory has been as stupid and lame as the mickey mouse dude yet, at least, and that's saying something since one of the recurring Purgatory characters is "boxer who learned other martial arts from mail order tapes and is also adept at gaining and losing weight between matches".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's very hard to make a pompadour dude who sucks.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Is Nezu the only married fighter we explicitly know about yet? That's something, I guess. Sure didn't bode well for anyone else from Bishamon, though. Apparently Terashi is? Also not a great sign.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
People throwing shade at Nezu confuses me. He's not an amazing character and he got a raw deal but he's not egregious either. On par with pretty much all the round one losers really.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

If you thought this sucked

then I don't know what the gently caress

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

We should talk poo poo about someone who deserves it, like Rei.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mickey Mouse guy is some dude who's there to get owned and that's fine I think. It's ok if a character without a lost of focus or screentime gets chumped.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tonfa posted:

me when i'm about to drop a deuce

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tonfa posted:

It would have been cool if he wasn't literally the biggest chump in KA outside of like the guy Ohma jobs in the first couple of chapters.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lt. Lizard posted:

I believe in Imai Cosmo's boyfriend

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Pompadour guy deserved better. Most of the round 1 losers were given a better showing than him and it sucks he was the guy to get insta-chumped to make the most boring character look better.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Who in turn got insta-chumped by Kuroki.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

It would have been cool if he wasn't literally the biggest chump in KA outside of like the guy Ohma jobs in the first couple of chapters.

Can't really call him a chump when he lost to the dark horse of the tournament whose gimmick would drop about 1/3 of the cast in round one since they would not see it coming. Like, even if it was random the story supports the idea that people avoided seeding into a fight against Gensai because he was a known threat. Rei might have broken some guys kneecaps previously but nobody saw that flash step coming. Nezu could have been redeemed during the Coup by getting a better showing against Hayami's goons but I really have no problem with him getting one-tapped with some sweet chin music.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a tournament. by definition, the participants can't all be winners. that's also true in a meta sense. introduce a huge assortment of characters in rapid succession and some are going to be better than others.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Nezu won the real battle, which is that he was able to stay with his gf and eventually got married while Rei got owned by running into old man Kuroki's fist

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

Can't really call him a chump when he lost to the dark horse of the tournament whose gimmick would drop about 1/3 of the cast in round one since they would not see it coming. Like, even if it was random the story supports the idea that people avoided seeding into a fight against Gensai because he was a known threat. Rei might have broken some guys kneecaps previously but nobody saw that flash step coming. Nezu could have been redeemed during the Coup by getting a better showing against Hayami's goons but I really have no problem with him getting one-tapped with some sweet chin music.

Nezu is pretty much definitionally a chump. He's not a terrible character, but he has two fight appearances where he gets completely and one-sidedly owned without even putting up anything approaching a fight.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Kanos posted:

Nezu is pretty much definitionally a chump. He's not a terrible character, but he has two fight appearances where he gets completely and one-sidedly owned without even putting up anything approaching a fight.

Where was the second appearance?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

His second fight appearance is him one-shotting one of Hayami's goons with an attack called [Electrical Blow] and between that we had his character Bio making explicit that he only did as bad as he did because he was mentally on full tilt because of the state of Destiny Land. To memory he never appeared in Omega properly since he's retired at that point and living the married life because he actually won in the end despite Rei taking him down.

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nezu is the Krillin of the story - introduced and then chumped for the express purpose of showing off someone else's power level, but in exchange he got a cute girlfriend and eventually married her and has a happy family life. Nezu is living his best life and is to be envied.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Chapter 179.

Really Gaoh, you thought Blink is going to work against a dude who saw it in the Annihilation Tournament years ago and who knows from the preliminaries you were using it?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Warden posted:

Chapter 179.

Really Gaoh, you thought Blink is going to work against a dude who saw it in the Annihilation Tournament years ago and who knows from the preliminaries you were using it?

This is the same person who did not realize the obvious flaw in his grandpa's advice to only use Earth Crouching dragon, a technique designed for surprise and assassination. Repeatedly in a tournament setting. Ryuki is really, really dumb in this regard.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

WRING IS rear end OUT ADAM LETS GO

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Chapter
I don't have much to say outside there are some wonky visuals for a couple panels. Other than that this is pretty much all I wanted out of Omega in the first place outside watching Koga grow. Seeing how other fighters grew as well vs strong new opponents where everyone can look good.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
:sigh: Goddamn it, again with the slurs.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The fight is actually pretty great. :woop:

After such a solid showing, I have the slightest hope that Adam might win this, but I am certainly not holding my breath. There is too much narrative inertia pushing against him, even if Ryuki is a little poo poo.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Least homphobic texan

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Lt. Lizard posted:

After such a solid showing, I have the slightest hope that Adam might win this, but I am certainly not holding my breath. There is too much narrative inertia pushing against him, even if Ryuki is a little poo poo.

:same:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

The fight is actually pretty great. :woop:

If the chapter had ended with Ryuki having the upper hand, I could have held out hope. But sadly, the chapter ended with Adam re-gaining the upper hand. Now he is doomed.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

King of Solomon posted:

dont worry, they're all freudian slips

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

King of Solomon posted:

It's okay he has the F word pass because he's dating Cosmo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This cosmo guy sounds strong, I bet he'll look really good in his fight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He did

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Just reread Kaneda vs Gaolang and the last exchange is still one of my favorite in the entire series. I knew he wasn't going to win but I still find myself rooting for the little man in the tournament of Giants. Glad he and Gaolang became friends afterwards like a lot of the fighters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its hosed up Kaneda's still only really had one fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Its hosed up Kaneda's still only really had one fight

he did beat up Himuro to get into the KAT but that was so long ago I don't blame you for forgetting