Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CrashScreen posted:

Took a look at the OP on YouTube and it's #4 trending with 7.4 million views. Not that much more than a day old.

That seems pretty crazy?

It was #2 yesterday only beaten out by Google's tribute to Tito Puente.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1580215261164019714

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
From the anime thread:

TenementFunster posted:

8 minutes in and i would already die for Pochita

i hope nothing bad happens to my friend, the demonic dog with a chainsaw for a face.

Ya know, I knew there'd be a lot of this, where people would love characters destined to die, but I sorta forgot how quick it happens, granted Pochita has a few more appearances iirc, but still. Had several friends go through this, seen it in a few threads, and other things.

The manga helped by having him at the end of volumes or whatever, I hope the anime can figure out something like that but I'm not holding my breath.

And yeah, this goon seems to know better and is being sarcastic but it's still a decent example.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evrart Claire posted:

I hope we get enough movies/seasons to get to the end of that arc just to have that scene animated. The shot of Denji perched on the grave waiting for Makima is one of my favorite manga panels ever.
one of my favorite bits of dialog is the bit in the final battle where makima goes 'in my ideal world, bad movies wouldn't exist.'

its a goofy throwback to the scene where they watch movies together but its also effective on two fronts. on a more in-universe level it completely severs the bond denji thought he had with makima, they both love movies but they engage with them on completely different emotional levels to the point they have different thoughts on what ones should even exist. what he thought was a connection was actually a conflict.

on a thematic level, it really speaks to makima's character as a perfectionist and extreme idealist versus denji who takes the good with the bad, or tries to see the good in the bad. just a great little bit of dialog that really ties the whole thing together imo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brightman posted:

The manga helped by having him at the end of volumes or whatever, I hope the anime can figure out something like that but I'm not holding my breath.
they could put him in eyecatches

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

one of my favorite bits of dialog is the bit in the final battle where makima goes 'in my ideal world, bad movies wouldn't exist.'

its a goofy throwback to the scene where they watch movies together but its also effective on two fronts. on a more in-universe level it completely severs the bond denji thought he had with makima, they both love movies but they engage with them on completely different emotional levels to the point they have different thoughts on what ones should even exist. what he thought was a connection was actually a conflict.

on a thematic level, it really speaks to makima's character as a perfectionist and extreme idealist versus denji who takes the good with the bad, or tries to see the good in the bad. just a great little bit of dialog that really ties the whole thing together imo.

I have to disagree with this one. (The thematic, I agree). Denji still loved Makima, his whole victory depended on it. In the theater, they enjoyed the same film, and even cried at the same point. Meanwhile, Denji found the other films so unsatisfying that he considered just giving up on movies in general. He didn't like bad movies.

It's not "Denji liked movies Makima thought were bad". It's that he'd learned to accept the cost of good experiences, possibly even to the point of thinking of the bad as making the good feel better, while Makima gave up on them. And thus, well, he had to kill her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doesnt denji have a line where he specifically says he just wants to watch bad movies on the weekend with his friends, and thats enough to satisfy him? i think part of his arc was learning to enjoy bad movies, it symbolizes him starting to let go of his idealized wants

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

doesnt denji have a line where he specifically says he just wants to watch bad movies on the weekend with his friends, and thats enough to satisfy him? i think part of his arc was learning to enjoy bad movies, it symbolizes him starting to let go of his idealized wants

Not that I can find.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The amount of comments the first episode of chainsaw man has on Crunchyroll is insane when you compare it to literally any show on that platform

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Brightman posted:

That's kinda the reverse of what happens but I actually really, really like that idea.

Edit: Or maybe I'm misunderstanding, like a camera stabilized on the finger?

yes to the latter. as in the whole perspective shifts along with the finger essentially breaking the scene / framing

essentially if you want to recreate an out of panel experience you have to break the common conventions of filmography. which is what the out of panel scene is doing in the manga

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

maybe they could letterbox a scene and do something with that

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

hbag posted:

maybe they could letterbox a scene and do something with that

yeah there are several points in the manga where stuff like that happens. I'm hoping they do something a little different with each

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I'd like to see the Hell Devil's hand be live-action.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Baron La Croix posted:

:vince:

e: Wait, no. Claymation.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Baron La Croix posted:

It's the french guy from season one of Pop Team Epic.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I would just like to add that Makima is trash.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

She’s poo poo actually.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Anyone that buys me breakfast can't be all bad

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

galagazombie posted:

She’s poo poo actually.
:discourse:

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I dunno, I think she has good taste.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's incredibly funny Power hasn't even officially debuted in anime yet, but she's still leaving an impression just from the OP alone.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

guess you could say she left a powerful impression

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's incredibly funny Power hasn't even officially debuted in anime yet, but she's still leaving an impression just from the OP alone.

She's gonna win that nobel prize.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

CrashScreen posted:

Took a look at the OP on YouTube and it's #4 trending with 7.4 million views. Not that much more than a day old.

That seems pretty crazy?

the earth loves chain sawman

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Nah man, Makima is a snack.

:rimshot:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hbag posted:

guess you could say she left a powerful impression

She's certainly coming in with a bang.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i think it is scary that the main repeating verse of the OP includes "A BEAUTIFUL STAR" considering what with the star that makes children go mad. i think that could be a scary thing long term in the manga.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ive been re-reading up to where i left it off last time (currently on chapter 44) and ive been thinking, since it's apparently set during the cold war wouldn't a "nuke devil" be incredibly hosed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

hbag posted:

ive been re-reading up to where i left it off last time (currently on chapter 44) and ive been thinking, since it's apparently set during the cold war wouldn't a "nuke devil" be incredibly hosed

the Cold War probably wasn’t even a thing in this setting, the Chainsaw’s eating binges messed with history a bit

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's set in 1997 but history is all messed up so who knows if the concept of the cold war even exists and it's been revealed that nukes very much do not

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Farg posted:

i think it is scary that the main repeating verse of the OP includes "A BEAUTIFUL STAR" considering what with the star that makes children go mad. i think that could be a scary thing long term in the manga.

It’s fine Chainsaw Man ate it.

The beautiful star is clearly Power

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

lih posted:

it's set in 1997 but history is all messed up so who knows if the concept of the cold war even exists and it's been revealed that nukes very much do not

Based on Yoru most of the War Devil was apparently eaten and the concept of modern war is limited to video games and movies, so the Cold War is about as real as Star Wars at the moment.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Watching the anime really is a stark reminder for current manga readers that Denji’s characterization really changes when the reader isn’t privy to his interior monologue.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I can’t wait for the update where it’s denji and power

e: king of the hill alley shot but its the main three plus himeno

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This but Denji and power

hbag
Feb 13, 2021