Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Has Walmart censored movies sold in their stores? I think they did that to video games at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Casimir Radon posted:

Has Walmart censored movies sold in their stores? I think they did that to video games at some point.

They’ve definitely censored cover art before. There was that Satanic Panic movie a few years back that mysteriously just became Panic when it hit Walmart shelves.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't think they actually censor movies, it's just funny that Wal-Mart is trying to out-Halloween Target when Wal-Mart used to be famous as the store for censoring games and music.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I read that there will also be a Terrifier 2 collectors edition from Amazon and a 4k from best buy so I'm going to hold off on the steel book.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Didn't Walmart used to only carry censored versions of music albums or am I making that up?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

Didn't Walmart used to only carry censored versions of music albums or am I making that up?

This is true and I think they still do.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

No. They censored (and still do) music CDs, but not films. The producer is specifically confirming this is the uncut version that just went to theaters

https://twitter.com/UncleCreepy/status/1580653293822709760

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i've been pretty good about flipping all my digital codes, the best reason why i can justify buying some UHD's day and date.

TheMopeSquad posted:

I read that there will also be a Terrifier 2 collectors edition from Amazon and a 4k from best buy so I'm going to hold off on the steel book.

ugh, didnt expect a 4K from this studio. now i gotta go cancel this order.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Waiting for the $80 dollar terrifer 1 and 2 combo pack

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I should, but I really like the cover art (and am friends with the artist) and don't trust it'll be transferred over for any of the other releases I may want

Especially not helped with the godawful recent 4K covers for Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My Wal Mart seems to be about 90% DVDs at this point. Just a few years ago it was 50/50, especially stuff like the Halloween display. Even the big bin of $7 Blu rays is gone.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
https://networkonair.com/coming-soon/3482-fortean-tv-the-complete-series

Instant preorder for me!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

My Wal Mart seems to be about 90% DVDs at this point. Just a few years ago it was 50/50, especially stuff like the Halloween display. Even the big bin of $7 Blu rays is gone.

I guess DVD won the format war.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
This might a "just me" thing but the Sherlock hound blu ray from discotek is out a month early. My copy just shipped and it shows in stock on right stuf.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Sher...ehoC21EQAvD_BwE

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Even HD streams are bitcrushed and dithered to hell in my experience, plus if you have a data cap, even a huge one, streams eat that up quick. I really don't get why people stream exclusively, I guess 95% of people just don't give that much of a poo poo about quality.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Prime has or at least had this obnoxious habit of not buffering streams properly at the start. So you ‘d get 10-20 seconds of blurry crap even if you paused it for a while first.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Chris James 2 posted:

No. They censored (and still do) music CDs, but not films. The producer is specifically confirming this is the uncut version that just went to theaters

https://twitter.com/UncleCreepy/status/1580653293822709760

I love that they'd still sell censored CDs as if anyone under 40 is going to buy one and kids can't just get any filth imaginable within seconds 24 hours a day regardless of their location. What a joke.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I found the Godfather 1 and 2 steelbooks at a suburban Best Buy. I didn't even know they were a thing but they looked really nice.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

CPL593H posted:

censored CDs as if anyone under 40 is going to buy one
Anecdotally, these were useful for amateur DJs, to play at Jonah's Bar Mitzvah when his friend requests some Dr. Dre.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
after that last prime sale I'm up to 43 uhds, and somehow only 3 are upscaled from a 2k DI (last black man, hereditary, eternal sunshine)..as a film geek what a time to be alive

e: i mean i know why these 3 aren't native, hereditary and last black man were both shot @ 1.8k on Alexas, eternal sunshine is a CGI heavy movie and focus features wasn't about to pay to re-render VFX.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 16, 2022

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I didn’t even know that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was out on UHD, and that it was an upscale. I was going to upgrade my DVD copy, but maybe not I’ll just go bluray for that.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

IUG posted:

I didn’t even know that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was out on UHD, and that it was an upscale. I was going to upgrade my DVD copy, but maybe not I’ll just go bluray for that.

the internet can help with that comparison-
https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=17456&d2=14543&c=5596

e: i think it looks better then the last blu, but i never saw it in theaters so i don't know which version is closer to the print color wise.

a good example is looking at the same release on blu-ray instead of uhd from KL vs the OG universal blu, you can tell from the mug alone that the universal one has some wild contrast and color fuckery..but maybe that was how the theatrical release was too, who knows.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=14543&d2=17455&s1=150000&s2=194535&i=5&l=0

i think the uhd looks good, upscaled or not

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 16, 2022

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't think people still liked that movie tbh, thought it fell to the wayside of early 00s MPDG fad with stuff like Garden State

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
gondry + kaufman, what's not to like
adaptation is coming out in december, and hopefully synecdoche gets a version not in a box set too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King Vidiot posted:

Even HD streams are bitcrushed and dithered to hell in my experience, plus if you have a data cap, even a huge one, streams eat that up quick. I really don't get why people stream exclusively, I guess 95% of people just don't give that much of a poo poo about quality.

Most people don't care about quality, because these days most people just want something to play while they do phone things.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

zer0spunk posted:

gondry + kaufman, what's not to like
adaptation is coming out in december, and hopefully synecdoche gets a version not in a box set too.

:hai:

I got my Eternal Sunshine from Kino last week, I should have figured it was an upscale but no matter, still happy with it; unlike LotR this seems to have been done sensibly. Adaptation didn't have any computer generated images, did it? The Kaufman brothers comps could have been done optically, and even if not, I'd hate to think of an entire 2k transfer being upscaled for like two shots of them together.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If anyone would like a blu-ray copy of the Boris Karloff Mummy I'll give it to you for the cost of shipping.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

CPL593H posted:

If anyone would like a blu-ray copy of the Boris Karloff Mummy I'll give it to you for the cost of shipping.

Was just thinking about how young Drew Barrymore looked a lot like young Zita Johann

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

PinkoBastard posted:

Was just thinking about how young Drew Barrymore looked a lot like young Zita Johann

I hadn't even noticed that until you said it. But you're not the first apparently. When I googled pictures of her one of the things that came up is a picture of her next to a picture of Drew Barrymore.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

worms butthole guy posted:

I didn't think people still liked that movie tbh, thought it fell to the wayside of early 00s MPDG fad with stuff like Garden State

No, it's an amazing movie that has a large annoying fan base that doesn't realize the movie is criticizing them.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, it's maybe the least flattering portrayal of the MPDG that exists?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The whole point of the movie is that Clementine is perceived by sad, lonely men like Joel as the answer to all their problems. It's literally spelled out in a scene where she says as much.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I mean I just liked the film more for the concept than the characters, both of which are pretty crappy. But that seemed to be more the point of the film. Joel starts to forget her, starting at the most recent, crappiest parts of their relationship. So he starts to fall back in love with her because he forgot what’s to come and how it wasn’t a healthy relationship. But it’s a cool sci-fi idea.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Plus ya know, the nature of memory and how we remember another person vs reality. I mean, Charlie Kaufman even at his most abstract and obscure with stuff like "I'm thinking of ending things" is still a better screenwriter than 90% of what's out there.
It's a solid movie.

e: ha, jinx

e2: I think a good pairing with it is the remake of Solaris..a movie everyone hated but I really liked..hits on the same theme from a different angle. It didn't even get a blu-ray in NA though, that's how much it flopped. I'd honestly put it right behind Schziopolis if I had to rank the best things Soderbergh has done.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 17, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/bluray4kmedia/status/1582088779359100929?s=20&t=kX0dwTw8i6V9SYUkt4GEgQ

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Honestly.

I bought the Untouchables 4k steel for my mum a few months ago, and was chuffed that I couldn't watch it before sending to her because it had no Blu-ray disc and I have no 4k player. A $28 title with one format. The non-steel was $20 I think, so yes there was a premium for not being saddled with that dogshit art of the standard edition, but at $15 yes please give me every format thank you.

(I did redeem the digital, but I have yet to watch one of the codes i've redeemed, i guess i'm just a sucker for discs.)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
drat that's pretty great, better head to the store tomorrow!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:yeshaha: Escape from LA

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would be spending more money to keep the boxes and insert consistent with the rest of my collection. :colbert:

I’m not ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

No, it's an amazing movie that has a large annoying fan base that doesn't realize the movie is criticizing them.

I Heart Huckabees has a fanbase? I haven't heard anyone mention that movie since about a year after it came out.