Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PainterofCrap posted:

It is, though. Snout's long, like a boar's

Ah! It's easier to see in the thumbnails on the Wikipedia article, since there's less detail to distract.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_Monument

No. Guess why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/Uvc6zV5.mp4

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Architectural foam is definitely one of those things where they did it as soon as they could, without stopping to ask themselves if they should.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Garden State Brickface and Stucco! They're back!!!

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Stuff like that is popping up around where I live and I can't help but wonder what it's like to live in a house painted all black with a black roof in a place that normally sits at around 102°F all summer long.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

coldpudding posted:

Stuff like that is popping up around where I live and I can't help but wonder what it's like to live in a house painted all black with a black roof in a place that normally sits at around 102°F all summer long.

Probably just keep the AC going and watching the power meter go brrr.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Recently where I live in Australia banned dark roofs in new builds cause they where making the areas they where built in hotter than normal. It'll help in new areas but not so much the ones that have been built in the last five years or so where charcoal grey roofs where the in thing at the time

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Roof surface could be painted or covered in a reflective material?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nitrox posted:

Roof surface could be painted or covered in a reflective material?

Yeah there are a bunch of products that can do that. I used to see ads for this one all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2MHyWANh5E

Always seems kinda trashy though. I can't imagine anyone with a 5 year old roof in a stylish colour painting white goo on their roof.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Garden State Brickface and Stucco! They're back!!!

Oh my god I never would have remembered them and now the entire commercial is replaying in my head.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I ended up going with gray shingles because the (incredibly lazily searched) research I found said it made effectively no difference in small houses (and because my winter bills are higher than my summer ones, despite the fact that we don't get serious winters)

it still felt like it couldn't be true. is there anything newer or more thorough? I found stuff that said it makes a huge difference on large buildings.

e: this was only five years ago

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 15, 2022

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, for human habitation, vs. whatever they decide a treehouse is, probably a "play structure" similar to a swing set except improvised... just, not something that construction code even contemplates really.

There was a whole tv series a while back called "Treehouse Masters" with this super overenthusiastic tree house loving dude who would build elaborate things for rich people all over the country, and they were clearly actually homes/ADUs and I never saw the slightest hint that anything was being inspected or signed off.

look every episode he disappears to do a remote segment when the inspectors come a calling

seriously though he runs his own treehouse construction company and i'm like 99% sure they were cutting out the inspection side of things because it just doesnt flow with the whimsical "we're making cool houses! in trees! we're on animal planet" nature the show was pushing vs mike "how am i not an alcoholic" holmes

i'm screaming

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

PainterofCrap posted:

It is, though. Snout's long, like a boar's

no balls though

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Ah yes, mimicking the look of quality stonework with....1-1/2" thick mortar joints with cutting leftovers tossed in.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

What exactly am I looking at here, is this stucco or foam?

The tool he's using seems like it would be useful for drywall repair if it was sharp enough. I've thought for a while about trying to design a depth-set razor cutter which would allow you to trench out drywall cleanly in the width of standard drywall tape / mesh, so that when you patch something it sits flush to the rest of the wall (and avoiding the awful feathering-in effect). This tool kind of looks like that...

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah there are a bunch of products that can do that. I used to see ads for this one all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2MHyWANh5E

Always seems kinda trashy though. I can't imagine anyone with a 5 year old roof in a stylish colour painting white goo on their roof.

I have a similar silicone product on my flat roof in philadelphia. The original tar was bleeding through, leaving yellow patches. Took like four coats to make it actually White. Will let you know how long it lasts, so far so good after 4 years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skybolt_1 posted:

What exactly am I looking at here, is this stucco or foam?

The tool he's using seems like it would be useful for drywall repair if it was sharp enough. I've thought for a while about trying to design a depth-set razor cutter which would allow you to trench out drywall cleanly in the width of standard drywall tape / mesh, so that when you patch something it sits flush to the rest of the wall (and avoiding the awful feathering-in effect). This tool kind of looks like that...

I have no idea what tool he's using but what you're describing for drywall is completely and totally unfeasible because you can't just cut through the paper and hope for the best.

Patching drywall properly is not hard, and doesn't require a novel technique. People have been doing it for many decades.

The typical novice issues are a combination of using too small/narrow of a knife and not feathering out far enough. You can not properly fix a patch with a pint can of light joint compound and a 1.5" plastic scraper. That's for filling nail holes when you're moving our of your rental.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It looks to me like he's using a flat wire clay sculpting tool of some sort

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It looks like he's using a paint can/beer bottle opener (smart combo), I guess on plaster that had a quick spray of gray paint over it?

Just a guess, probably not a good one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It looks just like a clay loop tool, but I'm guessing it's stronger and purpose-built. It looks like a fun job to do

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

It looks just like a clay loop tool, but I'm guessing it's stronger and purpose-built. It looks like a fun job to do

Gotta be hard to resist the urge to add dick shaped 'bricks' to their 'stonework'

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Here we go, I knew it was a legit trade https://www.insider.com/professional-carves-faux-limestone-houses-exteriors-stucco-design-2021-9

Here's a guy carving in concrete. Start at like 22:00 and at 27:00 when he widens the joints it's suddenly stones https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vpRO5eIpnsA

I really want to do this now

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 15, 2022

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I have no idea what tool he's using but what you're describing for drywall is completely and totally unfeasible because you can't just cut through the paper and hope for the best.

Patching drywall properly is not hard, and doesn't require a novel technique. People have been doing it for many decades.

The typical novice issues are a combination of using too small/narrow of a knife and not feathering out far enough. You can not properly fix a patch with a pint can of light joint compound and a 1.5" plastic scraper. That's for filling nail holes when you're moving our of your rental.

I don't know, I've had pretty decent luck cutting the paper (at an angle, with a razor) such that the tape is below the surface of the paper by a slight amount, then going over the patch with hot mud. Obviously there are a million scenarios where this goes horribly wrong though.

In other drywall annoyances, whoever invented this dogshit ("Textured wall paint") needs to be executed:

https://homefixated.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/drywall-textures-004-813x607.jpg

If you have the misfortune to have this trash applied to your walls, do not do anything other than tear the drywall out and start fresh. Thank me later.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Here we go, I knew it was a legit trade https://www.insider.com/professional-carves-faux-limestone-houses-exteriors-stucco-design-2021-9

Here's a guy carving in concrete. Start at like 22:00 and at 27:00 when he widens the joints it's suddenly stones https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vpRO5eIpnsA

I really want to do this now

Looks like a nicer version of the “stone” I have around my fire place

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

a sexual elk posted:

Looks like a nicer version of the “stone” I have around my fire place

I stared at this for a second trying to see the Goatman.
Insomnia is getting to me.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

By popular demand posted:

I stared at this for a second trying to see the Goatman.
Insomnia is getting to me.

You aren't the only one, there are enough lines I went looking for a ring.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Korg's permaban

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
There is definitely also an existing similar tool for turning plaster cracks into v shaped troughs to aid in patching them. So I'm gonna say regardless of if it's a usable idea for drywall, it already exists.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

skybolt_1 posted:

I don't know, I've had pretty decent luck cutting the paper (at an angle, with a razor) such that the tape is below the surface of the paper by a slight amount, then going over the patch with hot mud. Obviously there are a million scenarios where this goes horribly wrong though.

In other drywall annoyances, whoever invented this dogshit ("Textured wall paint") needs to be executed:

https://homefixated.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/drywall-textures-004-813x607.jpg

If you have the misfortune to have this trash applied to your walls, do not do anything other than tear the drywall out and start fresh. Thank me later.

Lavacicle

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This looks like a lot of new builds going up here in Australia, and then I saw the tall metal fences and it confirmed it.

The Australian love of putting up six feet tall colorblind fences absolutely everywhere drives me batty.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I yoinked a google street view pic of one of the ones near me.

You can't see it here but the roof is black corrugated iron just like the walls, I'm all for variety but I think building a solar oven is a bit much.
:sun:
:supaburn:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Senor Tron posted:

This looks like a lot of new builds going up here in Australia, and then I saw the tall metal fences and it confirmed it.

The Australian love of putting up six feet tall colorblind fences absolutely everywhere drives me batty.

The fences can't distinguish colors??

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Can yours???

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.

My fence tried to use colorblindness to get out of the draft but, it ended up losing a footer in 'Nam.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Well yeah who makes a fence with cones?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Splicer posted:

Well yeah who makes a fence with cones?

:hmmyes:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Not being able to gauge distances is what many bathrooms are sorely lacking in.