Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Fun with the ancient 3DTouch. I pulled the X gantry off to bring home. Disassembled it, took a bunch of measurements with the aim of refitting it for modern dual extruder. Here's holding the dual extruders up next to my Ender. Things are absolutely stupid, machined out of aluminum rod then the actual working concept is lovely allthread for a worm screw. The things were completely gummed with years of filment dust when I took them apart.

My going plan for the retrofit. I decided to go with Lizard hot ends, because they have super nice top mounting options allowing me to tuck them between the two slider bearings. I drew up some cooling ducts coming down from the new mounting plate fed by 2 blower fans. But apparently I forgot to render those. I also drafted up a concept using dual Ender hot ends mounted on the front bearing, but eh. I kinda like the centered approach.

I want to cut the mounting plate in aluminum. But...I've got to finish fixing the Makerspace's neglected CNC mill first. But hey, they're paying me to host a class on fixing the old CNC, so that will pay for the 3DTouch overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Deviant posted:

you mean like the green rough sponge thingies?

Yup, exactly.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Deviant posted:

Yup, i'm definitely getting some warping.

Thoughts?

Ambient temp increase?

The only times I’ve had persistent warping issues (albeit with PETG), ambient temp was too low.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Aurium posted:

If you're doing file-> export in fusion for 3d printing there's a better way.

Go to file -> 3d print. Or right click on the body and click save as mesh. You'll get a different modal dialogue box. If you went with the 3d print option the check for send to 3d print utility will be set by default. I've just unchecked it and never used it.

If you have the model open, the save as mesh/3d print option will save without an internet connection. It'll also give you the option of a higher quality export.

Oh sweet, thank you!

I've been doing file => 3d print and then just clicking on it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Ambient temp increase?

The only times I’ve had persistent warping issues (albeit with PETG), ambient temp was too low.

I'll give it a go. It's Florida so the a/c is running at 70-74 at any moment. But I can shut the vent in the work room.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Sagebrush posted:

The nylock mod is not required from the factory and should never be required afterwards either.

yes it's a neolithic solution that shouldn't be needed on a $700 printer. The nylock swap was 3-4 hours total including testing and adjustments after install, so don't just shoot down fixes that work.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

My father, who is a big an idiot as I am, wants to know whether it would be possible to 3D print gingerbread from my Ender 3.

I think he's anticipating the holiday season. Let's not worry for now about whether anyone will get sick from this.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

There's no rule that says you can't extrude gingerbread PLA.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nope. I can’t even imagine how you’d get it to extrude.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

cruft posted:

My father, who is a big an idiot as I am, wants to know whether it would be possible to 3D print gingerbread from my Ender 3.

I think he's anticipating the holiday season. Let's not worry for now about whether anyone will get sick from this.

If there were ever an idea for a CNC Kitchen video, it'd be this.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

print cookie cutters instead

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Bondematt posted:

Oh sweet, thank you!

I've been doing file => 3d print and then just clicking on it.

Your welcome! Seeing as you were mostly doing it that way I'm not exactly sure how I helped though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

cruft posted:

I like this thought process. Please keep me updated on the results. I feel like if we can get a person on the moon we can 3d print cookies.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cruft posted:

I mean, maybe, but it would take a lot of experimentation. RCLifeOn did a video with an L3D chocolate extruder in 2018 which looked somewhat troublesome, and then nutella and other materials with a syringe based extruder that he also tried which was more successful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRBxuDvS2gs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psma-fjaam0&t=70s

In the latter video it seems like you can extrude nearly anything but it has to be soft enough to squeeze through a syringe. I suspect you'd need to come up with a novel recipe for gingerbread dough that was pretty wet and could cook on a print bed at 100C or something.

This LuckyBot food extruder came out this year and looks better but still maybe a little difficult for gingerbread. This review looks good but it seems like you really have to use the recommended chocolate. I feel like if I had one I'd get it working a few times and then never touch it again due to how messy and time consuming it got.:
https://smile.amazon.com/LuckyBot-Extruder-Chocolate-Anycubic-Printers/dp/B0B1DLX5CZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhtd-_hA4tE

quote:

WIDE RANGE OF PRINTING INGREDIENTS- LuckyBot extruder supports the 3D printing of a variety of ingredients like chocolate, cream, cheese, fruit Jam, mashed potato, salad sauce, allowing you to make more creativities

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

tracecomplete posted:

There's no rule that says you can't extrude gingerbread PLA.

I mean I'm extruding pumpkin spice pla so I don't see why not

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i think the guy from makers muse did a sweets printer, but it was very much an experimental project back when 3dp was in its infancy

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Timely:

https://techcrunch.com/2022/10/14/sugar-lab-3d-printed-food/

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Fantastic. I can’t wait for customers to start asking if I can print naked elves in sugar.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

Fantastic. I can’t wait for customers to start asking if I can print naked elves in sugar.

Are naked models a common customer request?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Dude you have no idea.

On more than one occasion I've had people ask me to bolt bigger tits on a lizard person

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I feel like half the time I open any miniature-marketplace site, the first thing that's visible is going to be some giant ladymonster with her tits all the way out.

w00tmonger posted:

Dude you have no idea.

On more than one occasion I've had people ask me to bolt bigger tits on a lizard person

"Sure, but there's an extra fee for the extra required supports."

God, I really want a resin printer, especially now that I'm in a dnd group again.
But no, I've set myself the hard requirement that I won't get one unless I have a dedicated workroom/space it can be in, either outdoor, or with a fan-assisted vent I can use.

I've tried printing a couple not-intended-for-fdm models, but what generally happens is that I'll have to sit for ages nipping off supports.
Atleast it's a lot easier now that I found out I can just have a cup of hot water to dunk them in, and the supports usually just bend right off. (Along with the model itself sometimes.)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I'm still diagnosing my warping issue with the previous advice, but the bed mesh looks alright, if a tad high in the back:

Also re-washed the plate and hit it with the rough side of the sponge as opposed to a scotch brite

Edit: did a first layer of the offending part

And that thing seems to be stuck on there good, so I'm hoping a recalibrate and re-adjust of the live-Z fixed things.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 15, 2022

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

SubNat posted:

God, I really want a resin printer, especially now that I'm in a dnd group again.
But no, I've set myself the hard requirement that I won't get one unless I have a dedicated workroom/space it can be in, either outdoor, or with a fan-assisted vent I can use.

Don't run it in your bedroom or anything but I'd look into building an enclosure. I converted some Ikea cabinet with an air purifier and some weather stripping and it does the trick.

Honestly resin fumes/particulates is a bit over blown. The smell from all the isopropyl I work with is for more annoying, and having a half decent carbon filter goes a long way.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That sounds kind of neat, which cabinet did you use? / How's your setup? Seems like there are quite a couple larger ones that could easily fit a printer and a purifier, no stress.
I know Ikea has an air purifier with separate gas and dust filters, at a fairly sensible price, though it is pretty big.
Otherwise I'm mostly finding big expensive stuff, unless I get some cheap mini-thing from china, though I'm still looking around to see what's available.

Because if getting a sensible air purifier up and running works, then I actually have a couple friends who want to chip in on a machine in exchange for some print time.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If you use eco based resin the smell really diminishes, at least in my experience with Anycubic ecoresin. But I also print in an "enclosure", but my enclosure is a grow tent. I actually recommend that because they are light and easy to move around, and relatively cheap. There are also a lot of dedicated accessories for them and built in straps for those accessories, such as ventilation.

The IPA has a much stronger odor than the anycubic eco resin and I think would be harder to minimize.

Right now Anycubic has a photon mono 4k for less than 200 bucks. Like 189 or so. It is small, but that suits your needs better. It will print great looking minis. The smaller the printer the easier to manage. Especially if you are not printing stuff off all the time. If you just want to do a couple things and let your friends do a few things it would be ideal.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SubNat posted:

That sounds kind of neat, which cabinet did you use? / How's your setup? Seems like there are quite a couple larger ones that could easily fit a printer and a purifier, no stress.

Something to consider is that vertical space will be the primary limitation of an enclosure for a resin printer. You need enough room to lift the lid off the top, and you won't have much flexibility to angle it because of the Z axis. A good enclosure will either need to be almost twice as tall as the printer or have some kind of shelf that you can slide forward to pull the printer entirely out of the enclosure.

My enclosure right now is an old kitchen wall cabinet frame. I didn't bother building a front door for it and just use it like a fume hood, with my extraction vent pulling air outside from near the top of the frame. There's absolutely zero detectable odor even directly in front of the printer, so I feel pretty confident that a full enclosure isn't really necessary if you can get sufficient airflow.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

Something to consider is that vertical space will be the primary limitation of an enclosure for a resin printer.

Yeah, I was looking at that. A couple of the cabinets intended for dressers seem like they'd be a good fit, like Platsa.
One of the modules is a 60x55x120 cm empty frame, can put in a shelf at 40cm and have roughly 80cm of height on the shelf for the printer. And plenty of space to have a filter running beside it if needed.
Which is enough to be able to take the top straight up and off the units I might be considering to get. (Which are usually in the 40cm range, heightwise. So around 70cm needed to take the top straight up and off?)

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Right now Anycubic has a photon mono 4k for less than 200 bucks. Like 189 or so. It is small, but that suits your needs better. It will print great looking minis. The smaller the printer the easier to manage. Especially if you are not printing stuff off all the time. If you just want to do a couple things and let your friends do a few things it would be ideal.

Yeah, I'm norwegian, so that offer probably doesn't apply to me unfortunately.
We were considering maybe a Elegoo Mars 3 Pro, since a colleague has that and is very happy with it so far. The difference between it and the Anycubic Photon Mono is like 100$ here (350 v 450ish).

SubNat fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 15, 2022

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

SubNat posted:

I know Ikea has an air purifier with separate gas and dust filters, at a fairly sensible price, though it is pretty big.
Otherwise I'm mostly finding big expensive stuff, unless I get some cheap mini-thing from china, though I'm still looking around to see what's available.

Because if getting a sensible air purifier up and running works, then I actually have a couple friends who want to chip in on a machine in exchange for some print time.

I can't remember the model but it was one of their modular entertainment system guys.bought a few rolls of weatherstripping to seal the doors, and 3d printed latches to pull it shut

They have a ton of different dimensions you can look up online and part out. In hind side I would have gone slightly larger as I forgot to accomodate the side USBs, so can't quite fit 2 Saturn's side by side

Edit: it may have been an eket? My air purifier setup is currently a DIY air scrubber within the cabinet, and an off the shelf air purifier in the the furnace room it all lives in to catch the remnants. Seems to work great and is frankly probably overkill. I'd frankly be more worried about running a couple filament printers in a room for air quality

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 15, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SubNat posted:

Yeah, I was looking at that. A couple of the cabinets intended for dressers seem like they'd be a good fit, like Platsa.
One of the modules is a 60x55x120 cm empty frame, can put in a shelf at 40cm and have roughly 80cm of height on the shelf for the printer. And plenty of space to have a filter running beside it if needed.
Which is enough to be able to take the top straight up and off the units I might be considering to get. (Which are usually in the 40cm range, heightwise. So around 70cm needed to take the top straight up and off?)

Yeah, I'm norwegian, so that offer probably doesn't apply to me unfortunately.
We were considering maybe a Elegoo Mars 3 Pro, since a colleague has that and is very happy with it so far. The difference between it and the Anycubic Photon Mono is like 100$ here (350 v 450ish).

I have an Elegoo Saturn 2 and really like it, I would imagine the Mars 3 Pro is also pretty good. I also purchased the Anycubic Photon Mono for my father and sister, who are less technologically inclined, and it has worked out well for them.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

TIL in PrusaSlicer that the order of the objects in the list is actually the order they print in (I always assumed it was some path optimisation or closest to a corner) Which is neat because I find having a decent skirt to purge a reasonable amount of material helps first layer quality, but sometimes you don't room for it around the outside, so you can put a kind of 'priming' object in some other dead space to do the job :science:

E: also STEP import so nice.

simmyb fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 15, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I built a DIY 'fume hood' out of left over foil backed foam, 2x4s and a piece of plexiglass. My actual purchases were some hinges for a flip open top lid and then dryer hose, adapters and an in-line fan for forced air extraction. I can stand six inches away with the printer going full blast and smell absolutely nothing. It all goes out the dryer hose to a window.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ugh, still seeing warping on flat based parts. Is this the impetus i need to buy a PEI Satin sheet?

edit:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 16, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Deviant posted:

Ugh, still seeing warping on flat based parts. Is this the impetus i need to buy a PEI Satin sheet?

edit:

Unlike car repairs, shotgunning parts at 3d printer problems does seem to help.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

well, your PEI sheet is dead. I don't care how new it is.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Then I'll buy a satin one since I wanted one anyway, and one for my Prusa Mini along with the y axis bearing upgrades i've been putting off.

That or i'll flip the sheet and see if the other side is any better.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Deviant posted:

edit:

Was this with higher ambient temps than usual? Are there any draughts in the room you print in?

IMO you could get away with getting slightly closer to the bed. Like, that first layer looks good, but in the quest for optimum adhesion with your current bed, I'd try that and see what you get.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Currently going a bit nuts with a print repeatedly failing:

I'm trying to print some more of these, specifically, the 4x5 size. I previously printed a few off in PLA when I was just starting out, but my attempts to get them to print in ABS have all resulted in spaghetti once it gets above the flat part and starts printing the little cone/nub thingies that it uses to slot into another holder. They are meant to be printed without supports, the one time I tried the little nubs all popped off the main body instantly when I went to remove it from the build plate (it did finish the print, at least).

I've tried them at my newer settings (260c nozzle, 110 bed) as well as the cooler ones I used to use (240C, 102 bed), and a variety of infill settings. Always seems to fail at the same point, but I haven't been around to see just what goes wrong.

Puzzlingly, I have been able to print the 5x7 ones in ABS no issue, using the same spools, settings, etc.

Any suggestions?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there any reason why one of the Prusa xl print heads couldn't be at a 45° angle to enable horizontal printing

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Is there any reason why one of the Prusa xl print heads couldn't be at a 45° angle to enable horizontal printing

I think simply putting it at 45 deg would allow printing of overhangs in only one direction. They’d have to make it rotate like the printer that was on CNCKitchen recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Hadlock posted:

Without a lot of re-design, yes, a few reasons. The heaterblock, cooling duct, and mounting are all in the way.

You can print horizontally with a normal printer, if you have.. really well tuned settings. You can't over, or under-extrude at all.

But in the case of a prusa xl... it's got toolchanging, do it right.