Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Handler don't mess about. :stare:

She's so great :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
anya instinctively balling up like a puppy as dog grabbed her by the nape was adorable

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, I really think we need to talk about Yor asserting herself as the apex predator:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I like the fact that Borf , despite it's clairvoyance, is still very much a dog that has no idea what to do with any of that information beyond just following Anya's lead.

A good boy :)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is the other dog okay? I hope the other dog is okay...

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Surely Loid was morally right to dome the evil dog

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, I really think we need to talk about Yor asserting herself as the apex predator:

I struggle with wanting Yor to have more to do and also recognizing that she would end the vast majority of the issues in the show within ten seconds if it was up to her

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mons Hubris posted:

Surely Loid was morally right to dome the evil dog

There are no evil dogs

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

There are no evil dogs

Sometimes cops can be dogs.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Shinji2015 posted:

I struggle with wanting Yor to have more to do and also recognizing that she would end the vast majority of the issues in the show within ten seconds if it was up to her

She'd cause as many problems as she solved, though.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Keith's reaction to the 60 year old foreign minister's athletics was great.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Sometimes cops can be dogs.

drat those traitors in the Paw Patrol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Borf and Anya having powers that are typically associated with smart characters. It makes them fun since they're both completely incapable of using those powers effectively because they're a kid and a dog.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Arc Hammer posted:

Borf and Anya having powers that are typically associated with smart characters. It makes them fun since they're both completely incapable of using those powers effectively because they're a kid and a dog.

Anya is non-conventionally smart-- she's extremely cunning for her age, but she's also a five or four year old pretending to be six who is exactly as smart as a kid doing that would be

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Grabbing that guy at the aquarium and yelling she was being kidnapped to sic Yor on him was hella smart.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
She also dealt with that bomb in a simple and sensible way.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Darth Walrus posted:

She also dealt with that bomb in a simple and sensible way.
To be fair she only did that because the bomb only had black wires and there were no scissors there, otherwise she was all set to copy what they do in her cartoon.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anya tries to use dog divination and figure out whether to cut the red wire or the green wire, only to realize that dogs are colorblind.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

It reminds me of the faces in something like Hellsing. It's great.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bifauxnen posted:

Grabbing that guy at the aquarium and yelling she was being kidnapped to sic Yor on him was hella smart.

It was also attempted murder but gently caress him, he tried to hurt a penguin.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Shinji2015 posted:

I wish we saw more of her assassin life - we just had the one mission when she was introduced and from then on it's been all about Loid's job as a spy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Heliotrope posted:

I wish we saw more of her assassin life - we just had the one mission when she was introduced and from then on it's been all about Loid's job as a spy.

The manga eventually has more, but it's probably not going to show up this season.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah it was brought up a while ago, but I'm guessing that Yor doesn't get much to do because showing a lead character routinely merking people (many of whom, for all we know, might have just got on the wrong side of the Ostanian deep state) might eventually make her less sympathetic. This does have the side effect that the only thing Yor is "allowed" to do in the meantime is to Punch Really Hard, which is great to watch but doesn't do a great job at making her stand out, since Loid can Punch Okay and also does a shitload of crazy stunts. We'll eventually get a very good Yor-centric arc, but as mentioned before that'd be next season at the earliest unless they skip a ton of content.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 10, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Still really hoping that Yor getting a bullet in the rear end is adapted into an episode

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Yor rules as the unstoppable momma bear Anya can call on for help with stopping the bad guys but otherwise is just a doting family woman.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Anya not being able to read the clock despite have the prophetic vision was a really good touch on how her powers aren't a game breaker by any sense of the imagination

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Somebody please remake this old commercial except with Anya and/or Borf and a clock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vnit_xL1hE
tia

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Carlosologist posted:

Anya not being able to read the clock despite have the prophetic vision was a really good touch on how her powers aren't a game breaker by any sense of the imagination

I like that it's not just that she couldn't read the clock, but that even after finding out her time limit by asking someone else, it meant nothing to her because she had no conception of how long 30 minutes is.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Still holding out that based on the end of episode cut Loid can be the true hero and save all the bomb dogs

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 10, 2022

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Yeah it was brought up a while ago, but I'm guessing that Yor doesn't get much to do because showing a lead character routinely merking people (many of whom, for all we know, might have just got on the wrong side of the Ostanian deep state) might eventually make her less sympathetic. This does have the side effect that the only thing Yor is "allowed" to do in the meantime is to Punch Really Hard, which is great to watch but doesn't do a great job at making her stand out, since Loid can Punch Okay and also does a shitload of crazy stunts. We'll eventually get a very good Yor-centric arc, but as mentioned before that'd be next season at the earliest unless they skip a ton of content.

I wonder if the mangaka regrets making Yor an assassin

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shinji2015 posted:

Maybe, but I doubt it because the central gag is that she has to have a secret to hide from everybody and he probably didn't want to double-dip into the "superpowers" well (even if he did with the dog eventually). So in the end you need something that
  • A.) is a secret that Yor absolutely wouldn't want anyone to know about,
  • B.) would be funny,
  • and C.) Anya would think is awesome at her age/with her cartoon-addled mind so she would have a reason to push them together like she did at the dry cleaners

and "assassin" fits the bill pretty perfectly. Outside of that the job pool gets pretty limited. I guess Yor could have been the secret policeman instead of Yuri? But then, ew, cop. Though you're right, ultimately that probably does prevent her from doing more on-screen work, since if she is dropping bodies constantly you do risk her looking like a villain. At the end of the day though the story is ultimately more about Loid's mission (and therefore Anya's mission to maintain her family) so Yor... well, I don't want to say "matters less" because that sounds bad, but... I guess let's say she's not as integral to the real plot as they are.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 11, 2022

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

just hoping it's all a long buildup for a Mr and Mrs Smith episode

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

chiasaur11 posted:

The manga eventually has more, but it's probably not going to show up this season.

I think we'll get there. Yor has a lot of prominence in the OP.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 11, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

All I can say is based on later arcs absolutely not.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Yor still has plenty of things to do, just not assassin things.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tunicate posted:

Anya tries to use dog divination and figure out whether to cut the red wire or the green wire, only to realize that dogs are colorblind.

I was almost expecting something like this, where she reaches to yank a wire and stops based on what she mind-reads from the dog. Like in that Rick and Morty episode with the death crystals.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

InspectorCarbonara posted:

To be fair she only did that because the bomb only had black wires and there were no scissors there, otherwise she was all set to copy what they do in her cartoon.

When they focused on the ketchup, I thought she was going to make one of the wires red and then just get very lucky it was the right one.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Yor continues to be the best murder mom.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Eggplant Squire posted:

Still holding out that based on the end of episode cut Loid can be the true hero and save all the bomb dogs

Hell yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anya park