Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://twitter.com/NotoriousGG9/status/1578038865960370176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Have they just announced Tyson Vs Chisora 3?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

willie_dee posted:

Have they just announced Tyson Vs Chisora 3?

Not yet, but it sounds like it's coming soon.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/boxing/fury-vs-chisora-date-venue-25222751

quote:

Tyson Fury is set to announce this week that Derek Chisora will be his next opponent, with the undefeated WBC Heavyweight champion naming his long-time adversary as his next fight.

It will complete the trilogy of the long-standing rivalry between the pair, with Fury winning in both 2011 and in 2014, with the latter coming a year before he became World Champion for the first time against Vladmir Klitschko. Meanwhile, Chisora has seen his stock rise within the heavyweight division having beaten Kubrat Pulev in July after a run of defeats in recent years.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Seriously surprised Joshua is choosing to work his way back rather than all or nothing on beating fury.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Think he wanted the all or nothing but Fury dramatically pulled out of negotiations repeatedly. I think Fury always intended to fight Chisora based on what Chisora’s said. Maybe Hearn was ok with the fight falling through too, but I think Joshua wanted it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i don't understand any of that which means you're probably spot on. boxing.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I don't think Robert Helenius can beat Deontay Wilder but -800 odds seem way high for someone who hasn't won a fight since before the pandemic and who could be irrevocably broken by Tyson Fury.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Helenius is a scary dude in his own right, but his guard style and head movement are vulnerable to the devastating rights that Wilder will be throwing.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

haney/kambosos is getting brutal

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jesus the difference in punches landed :stare:

Edit: rewinded, 190-72

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Jesus Wilder

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Shouldn't have worn this Nazi copted rune smorgasbord.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Jesus Wilder

It sounded like a gunshot but looked like a noncommittal ward off punch. That power.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Deontay Wilder killed a guy.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

blue footed boobie posted:

Deontay Wilder killed a guy.

holy poo poo

kimbo305 posted:

Shouldn't have worn this Nazi copted rune smorgasbord.

lol good

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Just watched it. Yikes. Didn't even look like much. But it was like that cow killing device from no country for old men

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Apologies for the daily mail link but eubank all but outright blaming hearn for benn testing positive

https://twitter.com/riathalsam/status/1581552447432318976?t=PPyctvWttkdfaC81ty3xJg&s=19

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ruiz / ortiz was a good fight for what it was.

deontay's power is so loving crazy.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Wilder is such a ridiculous specimen. Slept Helenius with maybe 50% of his power. Hard to bet against him unless it’s against Tyson Fury, and he might get a 4th fight with Fury if he can get by Andy Ruiz next. I think most people would rather see Wilder-Joshua though.

Caleb Plant with a KO of the year candidate against Andre Dirrell, frankly shocking to see Plant show that kind of power. Let’s please see Plant vs David Benavidez next year.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Fury would vacate before fighting Wilder for a fourth time. I suspect it'll be like pulling teeth getting a lot of top guys to face Wilder. He's too dangerous.

Wilder has devastating power but that 1st round KO still looks suspect. Helenius may have sold that to get his payday without taking serious damage. Not saying Wilder did anything wrong, but if that was a legit KO then goddamn because he barely put any power into it (compared to his usual right hands).
https://twitter.com/jakeshreds420/status/1581503303485382656?s=20&t=l7jivakE2LPlOIoEw5P7cQ

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

if that was a flop i bought it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

e: ^^^ Helenius would have put on the best fake fencing response I've ever seen. Stiff arms, eyes looking off in the distance, tensed breath.

But besides that, no matter how the punch was thrown, Helenius' head was snapped back for real. Like sure some people would have been able to shake that off or tie up, but his head got rocked.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I think most people would rather see Wilder-Joshua though.

I don't really know Wilder's promo style, but I thought it was unusual that he wouldn't just throw Joshua out there as a fight he wanted.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 16, 2022

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

LLCoolJD posted:

Fury would vacate before fighting Wilder for a fourth time. I suspect it'll be like pulling teeth getting a lot of top guys to face Wilder. He's too dangerous.

Wilder has devastating power but that 1st round KO still looks suspect. Helenius may have sold that to get his payday without taking serious damage. Not saying Wilder did anything wrong, but if that was a legit KO then goddamn because he barely put any power into it (compared to his usual right hands).
https://twitter.com/jakeshreds420/status/1581503303485382656?s=20&t=l7jivakE2LPlOIoEw5P7cQ

Listen to this sound. https://twitter.com/gmaneboxing/status/1581618286231363584

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think one thing that makes the collision look deceptively weak is that Helenius had just started stepping in again and Wilder had just stopped bouncing off the rope, so both of them were accelerating forward even if their mutual velocity right before the punch was minimal.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The man definitely has a magical right hand, I'll give him that. It was a sorry rear end fight but I still really want to see Wilder fight one of the big boys because he's definitely a scary dude. Wilder-Joyce is my dream matchup.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
You don't crumple in a way that realistically risks severe leg injuries if you are trying to safely take a drive

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Yeah he got knocked out cold. He looked like Frank Mir laying on the canvas after Mark Hunt bopped him. Both had eyes wide open but vacant just staring off in the distance. Hunt didn't follow him to the canvas because he could see mir staring off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zinI2oEAaxg&t=19s

I know this is MMA and not boxing, but someone being sent to the shadow realm is universal. There was no flop.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The most delusional man in boxing is Kostya Tszyu's can crusher of a son.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/i-ll-be-the-heavyweight-champion-of-the-world-says-tszyu-20221019-p5bqz8.html

quote:

Tszyu believes it is just the beginning of a historic conquering of boxing’s biggest names across multiple weight classes that will culminate in him becoming the heavyweight champion.

“There’s [Gennadiy] Golovkin in the weight division above, [Saul] Canelo Alvarez in the weight division after that. We can then go up to heavyweight if we have to,” Tszyu told The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald.

“It’s no joke. Roy Jones went from middleweight to heavyweight; super-welterweight to heavyweight hasn’t been done.

“That’s my all-time goal … That’s 10 years in the making.”

“My first goal is, of course, the undisputed [title], that’s all I’m looking for. But after that, my mind is going to take me elsewhere. Even to the heavyweights,” he said.

“I’ll fight [two-time former unified world heavyweight champion] Anthony Joshua. I’ll smack Joshua with a few body shots, let’s see how he reacts to that.”

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/Tyson_Fury/status/1583020932305600512?t=qKQd6NThAgFgRfJTbGSz_g&s=19

I'm more interested in the Dubois undercard.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Two pretty poo poo weeks

https://twitter.com/ESPNRingside/status/1583304448981409792

EDIT:

They're both liars. I'd bet a non trivial sum of money they never fight at this point

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 22, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/ErrolSpenceJr/status/1583179067037143041

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

They're both liars. I'd bet a non trivial sum of money they never fight at this point
th

Maybe.

Nearly every fight that gets made in boxing has an "A side" that has a controlling stake in the fight terms and outcomes, financially or otherwise, and a "B side" that has accepted an offer in exchange for ceding control of their own career promotion and is essentially cashing out on whatever value they've built up. Fights between real career equals never happen because one or both of those equals has to cede some promotional control to the other party, which requires a lot of trust to keep things equal. When one fighter has a clear advantage in negotiations those fights become a lot easier to make, they make an offer and the other guy either takes it or looks for a better deal elsewhere.

Crawford-Spence wasn't possible when Crawford was with Top Rank probably because neither Top Rank or Team Haymon was ok letting the other side handle the promotion, and the matchup on its own wasn't lucrative enough to make revenue splitting worthwhile compared to inhouse fights with less risk. Similar dynamics to Mayweather-Pacquiao in 2010, both sides could probably each make double what they currently get in revenue in a 50-50 split but why do that when you can just have 2 fights without the uncertainty. And 50-50 probably wasn't even achievable with Spence's better drawing ability at play.

My guess is that now the fight isn't possible because Crawford is discovering what happens when you negotiate a fight outside of the position of promotional control: you get the small slice of the pie, but also you don't get to know exactly how big the rest of the pie is. That's an understandable dealbreaker for what's supposed to be a contest of equals, and it's not like Crawford needs this fight to get a payday. Meanwhile Spence doesn't really need the fight either, he's got no incentive to split the revenue he controls and if he can't get Crawford at a bargain then it's whatever to him.

This fight probably won't happen while both are undefeated. Maybe when one of them loess that guy will be able to go, "okay I guess I can be the B side now" and negotiations will be easy. It won't be the same fight, but we don't get fights between true equals in boxing unless there's some tremendous upside for both. Like the only real example I can think of is Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury. Each brought a claim to the heavyweight championship into their first fight, and then the draw made it very easy for them to split the promotion for their rematch.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

BTW for the record my opinion based on everything that I've seen and read is that Crawford wants the fight, Spence doesn't want it. Bud did basically everything required of him to make the fight possible, including leaving his long time promoter. Spence meanwhile has always seemed to hide behind the business end and has floated the idea that Crawford should take a bad deal if he really wants the match. So to me it's pretty clear what's going on, and imo good for Bud for just deciding to stop loving around and get back and active.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
At this point I just want to see Jaron Ennis beat both of these clowns.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Cigar Aficionado posted:

At this point I just want to see Jaron Ennis beat both of these clowns.

I think it’s going to be a dominant win by Spence if that gets enforced.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ennis obviously can’t beat Crawford. He could probably beat Spence.

More likely Spence runs to 154 than fight Boots though.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Ennis beats both of them right now in my book, particularly Crawford, who is now 35 years old and a former lightweight. Ennis is a massive (5'10, 74" reach) welterweight who will probably end up at 160 by the end of his career. The Spence fight is more interesting fight to me, but Spence's age, recent inactivity, major injuries, and reported weight struggles are all against him. Ennis is basically a bigger, younger/still prime Errol Spence.

The fights won't happen though. Way too dangerous. Spence will move to 154 and Crawford seems content to fight washed up former B+ level names and random Europeans nobody has ever heard of. We'll be lucky if we get Crawford / Ortiz next year.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

This Wagner kid Ali Walsh is wailing on is loving tough.

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009
Going to be hilarious when, 5 seconds into the first round, Jake punches Silva in the face and Silva's shin immediately explodes into bone fragments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I don't know if I just never paid attention before but 'World Bantamweight Title Contender' is really funny to hear.