Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh poo poo I just realized

Doc Q can probably give you I'll-Die-If-I-Go-On-That-Island Disease.

This rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

YggdrasilTM posted:

???
Haki allows you to feel the presence of enemies and predict their moves, to harden your body like iron and to make weak willed people people faint. That is 100% NOT just a representation of "My willpower is so strong you can't affect/kill me"

But all of those things are literally just common manifestations of strong will across the entire history of anime and manga. You've always had characters without any super natural power just being like "I detect a strong killing presence from over there" or being just so darn strong and powerful in their resolve that normal humans wilt away in shame. Haki is genuinely just putting a name to a bundle of classic tropes that show up in almost any shonen series :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope it is Burgess vs. Jinbe, just so Burgess can go on and on about how strong he is and how big his muscles are and then Jinbe starts effortlessly flipping him about and using leverage to completely humiliate him.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jerusalem posted:

I hope it is Burgess vs. Jinbe, just so Burgess can go on and on about how strong he is and how big his muscles are and then Jinbe starts effortlessly flipping him about and using leverage to completely humiliate him.

So, the inverse of that "get rotated idiot" meme, basically

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

so for usopp, he has an opponent he cant run from
chopper has an opponent that can cause every disease (im wondering if this is how he achieves his dream)
zoro has an opponent he cant find
blackbeard pirates all seem like power foils. what does that make burgess? i still cant figure out who hes gonna fight. i guess sanji, maybe. but that feels weird.

I still think Burgess is gonna be Zoro’s opponent and Sanji gets Shiliew because Zoro’s thing is being the sword guy but it’s also being the super buff guy and Sanji has…history…with the Clear Clear Fruit on top of still being better than Luffy with some parts of Observation Haki.

Then again I guess there’s equal odds that it could be Zoro/Shiliew and Sanji/Burgess for those exact reasons so they can have one last battle at a disadvantage to push them even further beyond, since it’s possible being super buff also increases your facetanking skills to Kaido/Big Mom levels and Sanji can’t do Ryou yet.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Can't remember his name but that one mod that would probe anyone arguing against his "Haki just means willpower it's like nakama where the translators are forcing a word its not a real thing to like ki or whatever" thing, every time it comes up I think about how hilarious and stupid that was.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

socialsecurity posted:

Can't remember his name but that one mod that would probe anyone arguing against his "Haki just means willpower it's like nakama where the translators are forcing a word its not a real thing to like ki or whatever" thing, every time it comes up I think about how hilarious and stupid that was.

zorak

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I hope it’s just a huge 10v10 fight and there are no 1v1s at all and the Blackbeard Pirates get blown away by a huge combined attack that they can’t counter because they can’t work together as closely Pirates Docking 10.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Super cool chapter, but I'm on dressrosa in my reread and i had to do a double-take

What if the tiger guy that can turn invisible is the one who saw "Sabo" kill Cobra???

wait, no, he got killed during Wano nvm

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 17, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That would be, uh, rather difficult

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MorningMoon posted:

Super cool chapter, but I'm on dressrosa in my reread and i had to do a double-take

What if the tiger guy that can turn invisible is the one who saw "Sabo" kill Cobra???

Blackbeard sent him to HFIL during the wano intermission

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
jinbei, one of the most recognizable beings on the entire planet: thankfully i can wear a tropical pattern shirt to blend in

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

tbp posted:

jinbei, one of the most recognizable beings on the entire planet: thankfully i can wear a tropical pattern shirt to blend in

that could be any dad

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
The witness was probably a confused Celestial Dragon. It has to be an Aegis Zero who killed King Cobra in the middle of Sabo's attack on the Reverie. Specifically Kaku.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't know why people just accept that Cobra is dead. If the Alabasta story taught us anything, it's that everyone around the royal family gets at least one fake death. And if they are trying to say Cobra got blown up then there's no way he's dead. Alabastans are apparently immune to explosives.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gyges posted:

I don't know why people just accept that Cobra is dead. If the Alabasta story taught us anything, it's that everyone around the royal family gets at least one fake death. And if they are trying to say Cobra got blown up then there's no way he's dead. Alabastans are apparently immune to explosives.

Maybe Pell flew in and took the explosion for him, he was due a death by explosion anyway.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pell survived cause he's a government spy

He also killed Cobra.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cobra is dead

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bon Clay disguised as Cobra is dead

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The Queen of England is dead

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I mean the Government having an issue with Kobra was set up for a while before. We learned that his ancestors were the only royal family that didn't want to become Celestial Dragons that the Dragons still hold a grudge against them to this day about, we saw Im looking at a picture of Vivi, and Kobra went to their headquarters openly declaring he was gonna ask them about the ancient weapons/ponyglyphs. It seems pretty obvious that they'd want him gone and the fact that the Revolutionaries happened to attack while he was there kinda kills two birds in one stone. Get rid of a guy they already hate and whose asking too many questions while framing the Revolutionaries for murdering one of the few Good Kings.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there isn't going to be a confused witness, it's pretty obviously a deliberate cover-up.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Nuebot posted:

But all of those things are literally just common manifestations of strong will across the entire history of anime and manga. You've always had characters without any super natural power just being like "I detect a strong killing presence from over there" or being just so darn strong and powerful in their resolve that normal humans wilt away in shame. Haki is genuinely just putting a name to a bundle of classic tropes that show up in almost any shonen series :psyduck:

Observation Haki is Mantra. It was used by a 9 years old girl on Skypea.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The way Law just cancelled out the effects of a Devil Fruit by using strong enough haki made me have this crazy idea where there's some sort of haki field across the entire planet and Devil Fruits are used to tap into that haki field to manifest their effects. So someone could generate/manipulate enough haki to disrupt the effects as well. Well I didn't really think this idea through at all but I'm really interested to hear what the actual workings behind Devil Fruits are, hopefully when Vegapunk spends a whole chapter explaining!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nuebot posted:

The shonen trope of covering yourself in black armor via willpower... the shonen trope of seeing twenty seconds into the future via willpower...

"observation willpower"

No Wave fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 17, 2022

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Law was obviously using haki to coat his white blood cells so they could better fight the... virus? Bacteria?

The birdcage never bothered me because didn't doflamingo have conqueror's haki? Thats supposed to be super double extra special compared to normal haki. Though does it actually do anything besides knock dudes out and make animals chill out?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

It lets you punch really loving hard

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

This might be the first time we see Haki doing this? I've always imagined, from what we've been told, it could prevent an effect but didn't consider it could be used to shake off an effect. Just never crossed my mind. This is probably where a lot of us in this thread are coming from. Has a lot of implications now that we know it works like this though, especially with the darkness fruit.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I mean, haki can be used to punch logia users in their elemental forms, makes sense that it can combat other devil fruit effects when applied properly.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Darkoni posted:

Law was obviously using haki to coat his white blood cells so they could better fight the... virus? Bacteria?

The birdcage never bothered me because didn't doflamingo have conqueror's haki? Thats supposed to be super double extra special compared to normal haki. Though does it actually do anything besides knock dudes out and make animals chill out?

Conquerer’s Haki can normally subdue living creatures significantly weaker than yourself, and also hitting things super hard (and possibly armamenting yourself too with it?) but it seems to only be something you can do if you can already wield ryou and if Doflamingo could do that he probably could have attacked Boundman without his moves bouncing off.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Lpzie posted:

This might be the first time we see Haki doing this? I've always imagined, from what we've been told, it could prevent an effect but didn't consider it could be used to shake off an effect. Just never crossed my mind. This is probably where a lot of us in this thread are coming from. Has a lot of implications now that we know it works like this though, especially with the darkness fruit.
I think Law tells kid he can't room BM and Kaido necsuse excessive haki. In reality it will probably render the character immune to only completely unfair effects. The same way nen in HxH gets powerful when characters do dramatic and interesting stuff, haki will kick in to make fights and characters immune to op BS fruits.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i'm with alkanphel now. there's a Haki field. But whats perpendicular to H? Do we gotta use the righthand rule??

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Lpzie posted:

I wanna say the first hint of this was when Doflamingo declared that Law's powers wouldn't work on Vergo because his Haki was too strong, and then it did cause they presumably just massively underestimated how strong Law was. It was first shown, I believe, at Wano when Law wasn't able to teleport Kaido or Big Mom around or slice them up like he could to random mooks.

Semi-related but I feel like a lot of people look at Haki like it's some Unbeatable Magic Power and act like it's a plot hole when one character is able to beat another character, like people who keep declaring it's a plot hole that Shanks lost his arm to some random sea monster in East Blue. I think the whole point of Haki is that it's a part of a person's mind/body and thus is subject to things like Exhaustion, Surprise, etc. Several of Luffy's big fights have had moments where his Haki fails him cause he's too wounded/exhausted to keep it up. Whitebeard probably had some pretty Godlike Haki but by the time he died he was an old man in bad health who'd already been stabbed numerous times, had his torso filled with magma and half his face burned off, so given that it's probably not surprising that Blackbeard's crew were able to finish him off by just shooting him a bunch.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Last Celebration posted:

Conquerer’s Haki can normally subdue living creatures significantly weaker than yourself, and also hitting things super hard (and possibly armamenting yourself too with it?) but it seems to only be something you can do if you can already wield ryou and if Doflamingo could do that he probably could have attacked Boundman without his moves bouncing off.

I'm pretty sure at this point that Haki isn't a thing you do it's a thing you get for being crazy famous. Like, if you look at all of the biggest Haki users in the story they're all crazy famous and Luffy develops Haki almost immediately after breaking out of the hardest prison in the world and directly attacking the marines at the head of the largest pirate army of all time.

One of the best parts of this fan theory is that it would mean that Buggy has crazy good Haki, he just has literally no idea how to use it or that it exists in the first place.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ace used conquerors haki at age 6

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ace used conquerors haki at age 6

He was famous for being the hypothetical, non-existent (in the public's eye) son of Roger.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Luffy shook off Doflamingo's strings, which had previously managed to control one of Whitebeard's generals, the diamond dude, during the war.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway Haki is just your powerlevel and much like powerlevels it is sorta bullshit and you don't need to worry about it too much.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point that Haki isn't a thing you do it's a thing you get for being crazy famous. Like, if you look at all of the biggest Haki users in the story they're all crazy famous and Luffy develops Haki almost immediately after breaking out of the hardest prison in the world and directly attacking the marines at the head of the largest pirate army of all time.

One of the best parts of this fan theory is that it would mean that Buggy has crazy good Haki, he just has literally no idea how to use it or that it exists in the first place.
There's a fair bit of credence to this theory but I guess it wouldn't really explain why Yamato has it, unless you can get a powerup through association with someone who has an insane reputation

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyway Haki is just your powerlevel and much like powerlevels it is sorta bullshit and you don't need to worry about it too much.
In any given situation between two haki users I just assume it's a "who wants it more/who believes in themselves more" check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

For Shonen in general just "wanting it more" is the biggest powerup one can achieve and Haki is that vibe fairly explicitly.