Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

For Shonen in general just "wanting it more" is the biggest powerup one can achieve and Haki is that vibe fairly explicitly.
Which is why the "Law negates Doc Q's attack" thing doesn't bother me. A guy who masterminded a plot to take down two yonko and buried Big Mom in lava isn't gonna fail a CON/CHA roll against a guy who Blackbeard is using as a saddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The literal meaning of Haki is "Ambition".

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point that Haki isn't a thing you do it's a thing you get for being crazy famous. Like, if you look at all of the biggest Haki users in the story they're all crazy famous and Luffy develops Haki almost immediately after breaking out of the hardest prison in the world and directly attacking the marines at the head of the largest pirate army of all time.

One of the best parts of this fan theory is that it would mean that Buggy has crazy good Haki, he just has literally no idea how to use it or that it exists in the first place.
Fame is one of the closest proxies for Haki, absolutely. I think it primarily scales with your level of importance in the world along with an acceptance of your responsibilities and willingness to change the world. It's not as simple as "wanting it" because you're left thinking the scholars of ohara just didnt want it enough.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The scholars of Ohara were up against Akainu and that guy absolutely "wanted it" more than them. He's pretty intense.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That's a "correlation does not equal causation" thing. There's no connection between having high Haki and being famous, it's just that people with high Haki/the potential tend to also be the kind of people who become big players in the world. Also keep in mind that Haki is still a thing that needs to be trained.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 17, 2022

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
The point of Haki nullifying DFs is that it allows Oda to decide if a specific fight should be more DBZ or more JoJo.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

No Wave posted:

It's not as simple as "wanting it" because you're left thinking the scholars of ohara just didnt want it enough.
As others have said, "wanting it" is just slang for will/ambition - it's something that has to be trained through facing down and overcoming challenges. While the Ohara scholars were obviously passionate about preserving history, it's probably fair to say that living on a random island on West Blue they hadn't had their willpower tested much unless some of them were heading out into the world to save ancient texts and poo poo

This is making me want a sidestory about Nico Olivia and some other Ohara scholars going out onto the Grand Line to do some Indiana Jone poo poo dammit

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The first time Zoro fought mihawk he didnt have willpower. But now his willpower is overflowing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point that Haki isn't a thing you do it's a thing you get for being crazy famous. Like, if you look at all of the biggest Haki users in the story they're all crazy famous and Luffy develops Haki almost immediately after breaking out of the hardest prison in the world and directly attacking the marines at the head of the largest pirate army of all time.

Actually, Luffy’s haki first manifested in Sabody Archipelago when he tried getting Duval’s bull to stand down and it got blasted by accident. And then in Amazon Lily when Hancock was gonna have her sisters murder Luffy’s new friends because Hancock is kind of horrible. And then in Impel Down on the winter level when he blasts the wolves that are about to pounce on Bon Clay. :eng101:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Actually, Luffy’s haki first manifested in Sabody Archipelago when he tried getting Duval’s bull to stand down and it got blasted by accident. And then in Amazon Lily when Hancock was gonna have her sisters murder Luffy’s new friends because Hancock is kind of horrible. And then in Impel Down on the winter level when he blasts the wolves that are about to pounce on Bon Clay. :eng101:

These were all uses of Conquerors Haki which we all know is the exception to most rules regarding Haki.

Luffy had to learn how to use the other two as if they are some kinda martial artes technique. It's just that once you learn how to use Haki it gets stronger the more you "want it". Or you could be like Aisa and have immensely strong observation haki as a young child. There's no strict rules, its the wild west out there.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Haki is just willpower, except when it isnt. But it's still just willpower.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

No Wave posted:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No Wave posted:

Yup

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The setting of one piece is basically calvinball. it's best not to think about the details.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

These were all uses of Conquerors Haki which we all know is the exception to most rules regarding Haki.

Luffy had to learn how to use the other two as if they are some kinda martial artes technique. It's just that once you learn how to use Haki it gets stronger the more you "want it". Or you could be like Aisa and have immensely strong observation haki as a young child. There's no strict rules, its the wild west out there.

Technically it is possible to awaken the other types of Haki(or at least Observation) on your own(Like Koby and Usopp) but using it effectively is another thing entirely.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
vegapunk is going to have a device that can measure haki levels objectively. but the output is so complicated no one else can understand it

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

This reminds me that they introduced Gouriki as a power level measurement unit in Enies and never used it again

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's willpower made manifest as a form of energy, and there are several ways it can be expressed, trained and shaped, including wrapping it around stuff like a physical barrier or just blasting it out into the world.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Boy you guys would hate Genshin Impact, a setting where sufficient Ambition and Willpower gets you gifted an elemental superpower set by the gods.

So that's how I look at it, Haki is just a measure of a person's ambition plus their active willpower to make that ambition a reality. It's the determination to break through the "reality" of how the world currently is to make it what you want to be; fate (Observation), other weaker people's opinions (Conqueror's), or literal superpowers (Armament) be damned. Willpower, I guess, is like a muscle or devil fruit you can Get Stronger with training and real-world experience.

That's why Buggy has no Haki we can see: he has great potential, but his only ambition is to trawl the seafloor for petty treasure in relative peace. By other pirate standards in this setting, that's a pretty piss weak ambition. If he had a stronger will and and ambition, he could absolutely take advantage of his falling upwards into global infamy, but he sees himself as a victim to the currents of fate and stronger powers than his own, so that's exactly what happens.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The real reason why this topic is so controversial is because people wanted more female Law

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tree Reformat posted:

Boy you guys would hate Genshin Impact, a setting where sufficient Ambition and Willpower gets you gifted an elemental superpower set by the gods.
I think Genshin's system is much more random and the arbitrariness is/will be an active plot point (there are characters whose ambitions are held back by their lack of a vision, and complete bums who have visions). In OP that doesnt really happen as much, people with big enough dreams putting them into practice tend to get there.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

The real reason why this topic is so controversial is because people wanted more female Law

Verdad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Genshin's visions are tied entirely to how much of a generic NPC a character looks like. Every once in a while someone that came out of their character creation system will have a vision but never the other way around.

One Piece haki is magic based on how cool the character is so they don't get stuffed against the other magic powers or gigantic sea beasts.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 17, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Incredible, stealing this :allears:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I love that panel so much that I had it made into a mug

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

blizzardvizard posted:

This reminds me that they introduced Gouriki as a power level measurement unit in Enies and never used it again

That was a joke aimed at people who talk about power levels

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cat Machine posted:

that's a really cool idea

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

haha that's cool

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

No Wave posted:

Haki is Spiral Power.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1582020384719003648?t=pn8Er-ARS4daWh6TdL2JGQ&s=19

Need this crossover.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Oh my god this is why Zhao likes to cook

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cat Machine posted:

What's the good mug site

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Waffleman_ posted:

Need this crossover.

Saeko needs to do more comedic beatings to the rest of the group in the next game if she's the Nami analog. :colbert:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Gruckles posted:

Haki is Spiral Power.

It’s literally this

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gruckles posted:

Haki is Spiral Power.
Basically correct, probably most succinct possible way of putting it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Where is the Drill Drill Fruit

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

I like that mug

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cat Machine posted:

Can you get that with a small angry Nami on the inside of the cup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

rannum posted:

that could be any dad