Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Knormal posted:

Calling an animal a dongus would probably generate too much confusion with very real biological occurrence of the horngus of the dongfish.

You refer, of course, to that which is attached by a scungle to a kind of dillsack?

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Sep 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Tree Bucket posted:

You refer, of course, to that which is attached by a scungle to a kind of dillsack?
You of course speak of the nutte sack, yes, exactly.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Anx3VQ2dcc

this seems like a setup from the unsolved stuff in a lot of ways. the user submitted evidence is pretty goofy and while i wish they didn't present the photos so uncritically they do make up for it with shane just not buying that EVP at all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snooze Cruise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Anx3VQ2dcc

this seems like a setup from the unsolved stuff in a lot of ways. the user submitted evidence is pretty goofy and while i wish they didn't present the photos so uncritically they do make up for it with shane just not buying that EVP at all.

Holy jeez I hate 'spirit boxes' so goddamn much. They're 'purple monkey dishwasher' random bullshit generators so of course they're the perfect tool for seances where they continually ask leading questions, ignore all the irrelevant poo poo (which is 90%+ of it) and assume that anything which might conceivably be a possible answer to one of their questions by any stretch of the imagination is somehow significant. You could get the same hit rate by using a random word generator. They're basically running a scammy psychic cold reading on themselves.

Also it's hilarious that there's a story that there's a child ghost who will sometimes throw a ball back if you ask him. When you throw a ball inside a dark building it'll sometimes hit a wall or something and rebound back towards you, that's just random chance.

E: their "solo investigation phase" tech loadout was pretty hilarious, NGL that looked like fun

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Honestly I'm a huge fan of Ghost Files / Specifically those two just for the dynamics, not for anything serious, but wow that hum in the morgue is unnerving af.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean yeah it's totally bunk but the new way they were using spirit boxes is way more entertaining to watch

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You know how sasquatches and yetis are famous for having a really strong stench? Turns out that all started as a typo which got lodged in the cryptozoology zeitgeist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUQSVJbnQ70

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Skunk Apes, though, there wasn't a comical mishap where they were named after one of them with black fur accidentally got a white stripe painted down its back. They're just really stanky

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've made some field guide entries for bunyips/Australian lake monsters. It's super fake! Here, have one.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Skunk Apes, though, there wasn't a comical mishap where they were named after one of them with black fur accidentally got a white stripe painted down its back. They're just really stanky
I think you may be thinking of a Pepe LePew cartoon.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Loy's Apepe LePew

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New Ghost Files episode if anyone missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMw1NAwYDbQ

Tree Bucket posted:

I've made some field guide entries for bunyips/Australian lake monsters. It's super fake! Here, have one.

That's great :haw:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh I’m glad Ryan and Shane are down among the dead again. I lost track of them after they left Buzzfeed, and all their new videos were just zoom calls.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Retirees in Western Australia capture CCTV footage of a huge cat-like beast outside their home, and got photos of some massive paw prints. When interviewed they excitedly repeated the story of WW2 US soldiers bringing cougars into the country as divisional mascots, which of course escaped into the bush and have been glimpsed from time to time ever since.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-08/giant-black-cat-spotted-near-lancelin/101510332

It's a large feral housecat

They obviously went and stood in pretty much the exact same spot in order to get that photo of the pawprint so all they need to do is compare a CCTV screenshot of the 'beast' side by side with a screenshot of them standing in the same place to find out exactly how big it was.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Retirees in Western Australia capture CCTV footage of a huge cat-like beast outside their home, and got photos of some massive paw prints. When interviewed they excitedly repeated the story of WW2 US soldiers bringing cougars into the country as divisional mascots, which of course escaped into the bush and have been glimpsed from time to time ever since.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-08/giant-black-cat-spotted-near-lancelin/101510332

It's a large feral housecat

They obviously went and stood in pretty much the exact same spot in order to get that photo of the pawprint so all they need to do is compare a CCTV screenshot of the 'beast' side by side with a screenshot of them standing in the same place to find out exactly how big it was.

quote:

"I'm happy to be wrong because it's a great story."
Uh huh.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

When interviewed they excitedly repeated the story of WW2 US soldiers bringing cougars into the country as divisional mascots, which of course escaped into the bush and have been glimpsed from time to time ever since.

I’ve heard a similar tale that claims there are raccoons in Germany for the same reason.

Turns out there are populations of raccoons in Europe, but they are escapees from a failed fur trade.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Honestly, I can't really blame people for mistaking big feral cats for larger species, though of course everyone would be well served to employ a healthy skepticism before jumping to conclusions about big cats where there aren't supposed to be any. About 10 years ago I was sitting on my brother's back porch on the edge of Ely, Nevada looking out over the empty land stretching away from his house when I saw what I thought was a mountain lion. This wouldn't necessarily have been such a strange occurrence since there are definitely mountain lions in the area but it was a matter of concern since my brother had two dogs and a young son who liked to play outside so I called him out to see it. Eventually the feral cat, for that's what it was, got close enough to a fence that we were able to make a better estimation of its size but when there wasn't anything to compare it to for scale we were both pretty well convinced that it wasa mountain lion.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Over the summer, I went through the Betty and Barney Hill papers at the University of New Hampshire. I did a brief writeup on it which just came out, along with a number of photos from the archives, and a brief excursion to America's Stonehenge as well: https://contingentmagazine.org/2022/10/17/edward-guimonts-from-outer-space/

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Chairman Capone posted:

Over the summer, I went through the Betty and Barney Hill papers at the University of New Hampshire. I did a brief writeup on it which just came out, along with a number of photos from the archives, and a brief excursion to America's Stonehenge as well: https://contingentmagazine.org/2022/10/17/edward-guimonts-from-outer-space/

This was really fascinating, thank you for sharing!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Agreed, that was terrific. Really enjoyed reading through it!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Real neat stuff, thanks for sharing all the things you do here.

That case is fascinating, both in how much it's been followed up on and in how it fits into the early narrative development of "typical" encounters/abductions.

I don't think I'd seen this artist's recreation before, I wish aliens wearing recognizable clothes had stuck around a more common part of the mythos :buddy:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah, I never realized how little their original descriptions resembled that infamous Communion cover.

More aliens need to wear hats, I think that would really help with their public image. Those are some aliens you could really share a beer with at the local bar.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chairman Capone posted:

Excellent stuff, thanks

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Knormal posted:

Yeah, I never realized how little their original descriptions resembled that infamous Communion cover.

More aliens need to wear hats, I think that would really help with their public image. Those are some aliens you could really share a beer with at the local bar.

Let me tell you about my good friend Radar...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Thank you all, glad you enjoyed it! It started out as a shorter pitch as part of their postcard series, and then I was able to slightly expand it, but I still had to trim a lot of my rambling discoveries out. If anyone is interested, I did a Twitter thread in July where I posted various interesting discoveries I made in the collection. Some of my favorites were Betty writing to Erich von Daniken and only getting a form letter back, and a letter from Stanton Friedman where he speculated (maybe jokingly) that the alien script in the book Betty saw on the ship was the same writing as the Voynich Manuscript, something I'd never seen before.

One other thing that really struck me on a personal level was reading a letter from Betty where she described the last day of Barney's life. There was a snow storm so they had the day off from work, had a big second breakfast, went out in the snow, made a fire and played some games in the evening, and then he started feeling bad and she called an ambulance, the medics knew Barney and joked, and then several hours went by in the hospital, he declined and died at night, and she went back to a cold, lonely house.

https://twitter.com/edward_guimont/status/1544711639999676418

Captain Hygiene posted:

That case is fascinating, both in how much it's been followed up on and in how it fits into the early narrative development of "typical" encounters/abductions.

What really interested me was how much scorn Betty had for both the 1950s Contactees and the 1980s Strieber/Hopkins type of abduction lore. She thought the Contactees were just ridiculous and that the 1980s abduction people were sinister in their misuse of hypnosis to create false narratives. There was a MUFON journal article by her niece, Kathleen Marden, about the potential for hypnosis to create false abduction narratives out of general pop culture consensus, and that was (I think) from the late 70s, so that was a very prescient insight.

Interestingly, Betty did think that the Pascagoula Abduction and Travis Walton cases were genuine in contrast to the 1980s waves. The fact that she bought into Walton is especially interesting because she also thought that the publicity of her and Barney's case inspired a lot of copycats by the late 70s.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think I'd seen this artist's recreation before, I wish aliens wearing recognizable clothes had stuck around a more common part of the mythos :buddy:

This isn't the same artist, but I loved this depiction of the Leader I found in one of the files.

https://twitter.com/edward_guimont/status/1544753094604513280

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hey little man hows it goin?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
He looks high as gently caress to me

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ooh, an ascot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

feels good, human

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Here's an interesting one, the small Pennsylvanian town of Bryn Athyn has local lore of a cryptid called 'the Bryn Athyn Beast' which is allegedly some sort of large shapechanging spectral dogman which can change from a quadrupedal stance to a bipedal stance and might be some sort of shadow creature which can disappear at will. Here's a short 2008 doco about people from the area recounting their ghost encounters including three highschool kids who had a recent group encounter with the Beast, and local weirdo Blane Bostock who had all sorts of ghostly encounters decades ago when he was a little kid including a mystery person in a werewolf mask who kept scaring him by creeping into his room and jumping on his bed. Could there be a connection between these two phenomena? Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idy5R7NKXgc

It's also real interesting that the three highschool kids all had fairly different recollections of the same event

Anyway here's a newspaper article from last week about how a minor cryptozoology Youtuber Eric Mintel Investigates came to town with his monster hunting crew to track down the Bryn Athyn Beast but of course they just ended up doing the usual Reality TV monster hunting bullshit of wandering around in the woods at night jumping at shadows

The paranormal investigator who conducted this recent Bryn Athyn Beast hunt is nearly ready to post the video to Youtube. He's actually lined up premieres for four different video investigation one after the other starting from this Saturday, with the Bryn Athyn video dropping on Sunday: https://www.youtube.com/c/BucksCountyParanormalInvestigations/videos

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
X-Postin'

Barry Foster posted:

On a similar note there're a bunch of highly dubious but pretty entertaining cryptid videos in this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HighStrangeness/comments/y6qmcy/whats_the_scariest_most_frightening_video_real/

I'm phone postin' and I don't have the reddit app installed so scrolling through is a pain, but I'm particularly fond of the Dogman looking through the window vid, the Sierra Sounds vid, and the Russian hunter stuck out alone in the Siberian wilderness being pursued by something extremely weird vid

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Iron Crowned posted:

He looks high as gently caress to me

I think he looks like one smug Zeta Reticulan

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Also, Chairman Capone, great article and post and it reminded me that Warren Smith's papers are held at the U of Iowa

https://collguides.lib.uiowa.edu/?MSC0747
https://www.lib.uiowa.edu/scua/msc/tomsc750/msc747/msc747_wbsmith.htm

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Good news, everyone: the truth is out there, and we will find it out in mid-2023
:ms:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh god why is the Mudflood/Tartaria conspiracy so stupid? Its literally just "doesn't this look like this?" and "people in the past were dumb because they didn't have Elon Musk and other super smart people" mashed together
https://youtu.be/dtU_M0Sjd9Y

Oh its because its based on that crazy Russian guys theory that Russia used to rule the world but the Jews destroyed it and of course its the Jews. Though there is some evidence mentioned in the video about a guy who heavily promotes this theory that says Tartaria fell due to the new threat, TRANS PEOPLE.

I do like how she points out that fascists do see that there is something fundamentally wrong with modern society, but they refuse to admit the actual problems because it goes against what they believe how things should be, so inventing conspiracies and scapegoats is way easier than fixing the actual problem, capitalism.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LbzkoVQ2EQ

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Finally picked up a copy of Leonard Shelby Downard's Carnival of Life and Death. He wrote King Kill 33 a weird essay about the JFK murder and the trinity site being connected as part of the same alchemical ritual. His autobiography which he never finished is supposed to be a pretty wild ride of conspiratorial nonsense. Could be fun!

:stonk:

and that's just shortly into the introduction. He doesn't seem to care for jewish people, catholics, masons, pre-tribulation rapture believers, radios, mris, scientists, women and occultists among others. There's definitely a line from him to Bill Cooper to Alex Jones so I'll probably keep reading as I find this kind of thing interesting, but its definitely going to be less "fun" than I anticipated.

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Nov 24, 2022

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Finally picked up a copy of Leonard Shelby Downard's Carnival of Life and Death. He wrote King Kill 33 a weird essay about the JFK murder and the trinity site being connected as part of the same alchemical ritual. His autobiography which he never finished is supposed to be a pretty wild ride of conspiratorial nonsense. Could be fun!

:stonk:

and that's just shortly into the introduction. He doesn't seem to care for jewish people, catholics, masons, pre-tribulation rapture believers, radios, mris, scientists, women and occultists among others. There's definitely a line from him to Bill Cooper to Alex Jones so I'll probably keep reading as I find this kind of thing interesting, but its definitely going to be less "fun" than I anticipated.

If you like wild conspiracy theories, check this one out. It's about Swannanoa, a manor tucked away in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

If you're wondering how I found out about this, I went to church with the Edwardses from around 1993 to about 2005, until I moved away for college. Some time in those 22 years, Ms. Edwards gave me a hardback copy of her book: "Conspiracy of 30: Their Misuse of Music from Aristotle to Onassis," which the article brings up. I still have no idea why she decided to give a teenager that barely interacted with her or her husband, but that book is an absolutely wild ride. (Dunno if it's in print any more or where my copy is exactly. If I have it handy, I'll post some choice passages out of it though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
sounds like a wild ride for sure.

quote:

A secret club of 30 power groups has existed for thousands of years. They have used music for centuries to control nations & people. This book exposes the mother of all conspiracies: the real Hidden Hand, the real Christ Killers. The Council of 30's corporate immortality is traced to before 1,000 B.C. Egypt & King Solomon. They founded Greece & Rome & kept the mobs in servitude with loud public music. They were implicated in Jesus' death with "30 Pieces of Silver". They took over the Roman Catholic Church & invented Islam. They are the Beast, the 666 of Saint John's Revelation. With rock music, the 30 have caused rioting, drug use, & possibly Crib Death. Their talented agents--kings, popes, presidents, directors of industry, & the Gnomes of Zurich--have created wars, resulting in migrations of cheap labor to areas for mining & economic development. The Council's 20th century failure to exploit Virginia's Blue Ridge minerals in eastern USA brought on "Watergate", the Irish & Middle Eastern troubles, South Africa's race riots, Korea, Vietnam, & the 1991 Gulf War over oil.

cranks never really recovered from the trauma that rock n roll music inflicted upon them.

sure love councils. i should form a council, make some waves.