Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Mazed posted:

So I read this on a whim and got up past the storyline where all the Makima poo poo went down.

I'm not sure I get it. That arc was wild but like, in a sort of nasty gently caress-you End of Evangelion way as opposed to a fun way. All the best characters are dead and it's seemingly shifting gears completely story-wise rather than trying to actually follow up on what the gently caress just happened.

I'm down for rereading in case I'm missing something, because there's a definite soul to the storytelling, it's all just so hard to feel particularly invested in.

chapter 98 is the start of part 2 & there was a 1.5 year hiatus before it. i'm sure it's going to follow up on the dangling plot threads (power asking denji to find her in hell, nayuta, etc.) eventually, just the focus is elsewhere for now & that's fine because it's still great

part 1 had a lot of characters die and gets pretty bleak, but it's hardly a 'gently caress you' to the audience or anything lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The people itt aren't giving Makima enough of a chance. Maybe the anime will be different! She seems like such a nice person there's no reason to assume she's just using everyone yet.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scholtz posted:

The people itt aren't giving Makima enough of a chance. Maybe the anime will be different! She seems like such a nice person there's no reason to assume she's just using everyone yet.

Aki said she was a good person. Case closed.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mazed posted:

So I read this on a whim and got up past the storyline where all the Makima poo poo went down.

I'm not sure I get it. That arc was wild but like, in a sort of nasty gently caress-you End of Evangelion way as opposed to a fun way. All the best characters are dead and it's seemingly shifting gears completely story-wise rather than trying to actually follow up on what the gently caress just happened.

I'm down for rereading in case I'm missing something, because there's a definite soul to the storytelling, it's all just so hard to feel particularly invested in.

i think that's a complete misread of the tone CSM is going for. it's extremely gruesome and bleak but fast-paced enough and interspersed with enough humor to make it the darkest comedy possible. there is no point where Fujimoto is actively hating the reader, only trying to portray the world as it is: a hellscape where life is - at best - p. much meaningless in the "you can die at any point because a devil wanted you to" way (in addition to even being a commodity considering the stipulations of contracts). there's even the factoid that i can't remember the specific of, but devils kill more people worldwide than homicide, disease, accidents, etc. a lot of people we barely get to know die because that's just what happens in hellworld, your best friend could be splattered in a nanosecond for no rhyme or reason, only because the Grenade Devil crossed the street in front of him. to stop and ruminate is basically suicide; i can't remember the exact quote or if it was said by Makima or maybe Aki, but devil hunters need unbridled confidence, and wavering in any way from that even 1% will kill you. so, there's no slowing down, there's no reflecting, only moving forward. this world is frenetic, it's horrifying, it's survival of the fittest, and that's what Chainsaw Man is p. much all about imo, and why we're rooting for Denji to make it out unscathed at the end of it all despite all the odds stacked against humanity at every possible chance.

^^^
that spoiler above is from part 2 but it's nothing major, only if you wanted to read it in context for yourself

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

im also going to fire a cerebral bore at your skull for implying neither Denji nor Kobeni are among the best

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
chainsaw man is full of dark comedy but unlike a lot of dark comedies it never feels like it's looking down on you for caring

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

chainsaw man isn't nasty gently caress you bleak, chainsaw man says even your basest and most embarrassing desires are good if they keep you fighting to stay alive in a world that is totally indifferent to your death. giving up and not having to think or feel bad anymore is for losers, instead imagine how good it'll be when you have steak for breakfast every day and ten girlfriends and keep going.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Denji made a contract to find Power and I believe in her coming back at least.

Denji just needs to find a plane to America.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
has csm touched upon the concept of a Devil Devil yet

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

epic K-On! crossover potential if/when Fujimoto introduces the Death Devil

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

one thing i'm very interested in for the adaptation is denji's shame around dreaming of better things for himself. like the first thing he thinks after coming back is that he should have just been happy with him and pochita, and then he equates that dream to the mob boss's efforts to expand his racket. he is so convinced his desires are wrong and the eventual catharsis of his admission that he wants to keep living because, actually, he wants an absurdly, exaggeratedly luxurious life is so good. he sits down and figures out how to beat makima specifically because he wants to exploit his fame! what a champ.

on the manga, i wonder if one thing we'll touch on in coming chapters is the effect of chainsaw man on other fears. like, "justice" and just deserts as a general concept was probably not actually very scary in a world where people regularly die at random for no discernible reason (even aside from demon attacks, japanese citizens were possibly regularly dying on makima's behalf), but with chainsaw man superheroing it up that seems like something that could have changed recently.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

symbolic posted:

im also going to fire a cerebral bore at your skull for implying neither Denji nor Kobeni are among the best

Well, "Best" Begins and ends with Power, after all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mazed posted:

i dont think its meant to be a nasty gently caress-you exactly. its just poo poo that happens sometimes. i mean obviously in real life it doesnt go down exactly like that but sometimes you do lose all your friends, your job, and start from basically zero. and then denji just kinda keeps going and makes little jokes, and then the series ends. it could have ended there and been a pretty strong message. its extremely hopeful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is funny but they kept the line where he talks about paid vacations so trying to attribute it to actual intentional censorship feels pretty dumb

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Denji’s quick thinking to get Makima to feed him udon is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen in an anime, I was hooting on my couch. Just in awe of the show so far, but it’s kind of a bold move to not have Denji become Chainsaw Man in every episode.

I also love how clean the title card is, no English or subs or dots or paint flecks or nothing. Feels classical, straight outta ‘98.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/CSPerfectShot/status/1582163659228581888

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

chainsaw man is full of dark comedy but unlike a lot of dark comedies it never feels like it's looking down on you for caring

yeah early on in vol 10 i felt a bit worried that things were just going to be punishment but i think family burger/power really help drive home what fujimoto was going for

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The hamburger sequence animated is going to be a trip.

This chapter, I think Asa is just going to be angry and or threatened to thrown out of a window.

I also didn't expect the Devil unter Club to actually be competent.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah, it's a story that's extremely sympathetic towards its characters even as it has terrible things happen to them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh poo poo! I just realized that three devil hunters dying means three spots opened up in the club that will probably be filled by Asa, Denji, and Yoshida.

Although why anyone would want to join the "intentionally put yourself in harms way club" in the first place is beyond me. I guess in the world of Chainsaw Man you're probably going to be killed by a devil anyway, so someone people figure they'd rather go down swinging on their own terms. Which, yeah, I guess I can respect that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh poo poo! I just realized that three devil hunters dying means three spots opened up in the club that will probably be filled by Asa, Denji, and Yoshida.

Although why anyone would want to join the "intentionally put yourself in harms way club" in the first place is beyond me. I guess in the world of Chainsaw Man you're probably going to be killed by a devil anyway, so someone people figure they'd rather go down swinging on their own terms. Which, yeah, I guess I can respect that.

I'm not sure they're dead. At least not yet. One was still moving after his eyeball got taken out, and the girl with the katana "only" took a two story fall. Even the guy who took a stab to the gut is still making some noise.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gotta say, if the devil hunters have a union they really aren't doing a very good job

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The capitalism devil is, unfortunately, extremely powerful.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Sadly it's the same Union that serves the Springfeild Nuclear Power Plant. It's an odd Union when it comes to worker safety but hey, they have Dental...

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Hey, we had to give way on something and it was either a comprehensive health and safety review or breakfast on the company tab. I don’t know about you but I like having a free breakfast.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Gotta say, if the devil hunters have a union they really aren't doing a very good job

They do. Great vacation hours, medical can get your arm back on for free if you lose it in the line of duty, pay is excellent, bonuses are frequent.

Did you know you can afford a two bedroom two bath in downtown Tokyo on a Devil Hunter's salary while still building a hefty savings account? Because you can.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
i think im maybe just not a fan of the mappa style that much

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Hace posted:

i think im maybe just not a fan of the mappa style that much

Same. I've made my peace with their brown and grey colour pallets but it does kind of evoke the console wars Brown and Bloom era of hyper realism.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mazed posted:

This isn't exactly the right thread for it, but I wanna say that I'm fairly certain the "End of Evangelion was a gently caress you to fans" thing is just fan theory itself and has never actually been confirmed. Everything I've read from staff interviews is that it was the originally intended ending. Someone please feel free to share an actual source if I'm wrong, but I've never been able to find one.

Bust Rodd posted:

Denji’s quick thinking to get Makima to feed him udon is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen in an anime, I was hooting on my couch. Just in awe of the show so far, but it’s kind of a bold move to not have Denji become Chainsaw Man in every episode.

I also love how clean the title card is, no English or subs or dots or paint flecks or nothing. Feels classical, straight outta ‘98.

Warning that this is the manga thread and is full of spoilers. You may want the anime thread instead.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I'm liking the perspective shift in Part 2 and I'm pretty sure it's going to be used to explore all of the hanging questions, just from a perspective outside Denji's which might throw things into a slightly different light. Fujimoto's one-shots demonstrate quite clearly his recurring interest in issues of perception so I'm interested to see if something similar plays out in a longer form like this.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm just thinking about it, but why is there a Justice Devil? Why do people fear justice?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm just thinking about it, but why is there a Justice Devil? Why do people fear justice?

'I know I did something wrong and fear being punished for it' is pretty straightforward.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

like makima says early on, a car devil could be decently strong because it wouldnt just be 'afraid of the concept of a car in a vacuum,' itd be decently strong because itd conjure up images of car accidents. devils arent just the thing they are, they're everything that the thing they are brings to mind. like word association.

angel devil is reasonably strong because of the idea of angels taking you away when you die, or angels bringing punishment down on sinners. thats why he has the powers he does, too.

so a justice devil isn't just 'the abstract concept of justice,' it's bringing to mind things like prisons, executions, the guillotine, things that are used as tools of 'justice.'

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Devil hunters get paid vacation time in theory, but only like 5% of all devi hunters live long enough to take one.

Also, their paychecks are huge, but their overall lifetime pay is lower than every other job because they die in like a year.

Oh and they have a fantastic healthcare plan that covers dental, but it doesn't cover funeral expensives so your friends and family are going to need deal with those very VERY soon.

Basically it's a great job with only one drawback, and that drawback is "You are going to be killed by a devil, probably a few days after you start".

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

"You are going to be killed by a devil, probably a few days after you start".

not me but i guess im just built different

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

symbolic posted:

there's even the factoid that i can't remember the specific of, but devils kill more people worldwide than homicide, disease, accidents, etc.
that spoiler above is from part 2 but it's nothing major, only if you wanted to read it in context for yourself
I think it's worth noting that, if I remember right myself, that statistic was for Japan in particular, which for some reason gets hosed up by devils more than most places, and Part 1 mentions that powerful devils are popping up more frequently since the Gun Devil. I wonder if that will be explained, actually.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I think it's worth noting that, if I remember right myself, that statistic was for Japan in particular, which for some reason gets hosed up by devils more than most places, and Part 1 mentions that powerful devils are popping up more frequently since the Gun Devil. I wonder if that will be explained, actually.

It's probably just the chainsaw man. The original Gun Devil incident was 13 years before Chainsaw Man started. We're never really given an actual time when Pochita showed up, but Denji was a little kid, so it's reasonable to assume it was fairly close in time. We're told that Pochita ended up killed (or doggified or whatever) in a mass melee with the weapon devils and the 4 horsemen, so it's also reasonable to assume that a bunch of powerful devils died in that fight (explicitly including the weapon devils and possibly some of the horsemen, though War at least apparently just got some chunks eaten), and thus ended up on earth, and would probably end up in the same general area as Pochita, who ended up in Japan.

Alternatively powerful devils started being a thing because the Chainsaw Man was gone from hell.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 19, 2022

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It's easy to forget but the initial "Shonen hook" of the series was "devils are eating parts of the gun devil to gain strength, hunt down the gun devil parts" like it was Inuyasha looking for the Shikon Jewel fragments or whatever. Presumably there was an increase in devils because they were after the gun devil parts. It's great cus it leads you to believe that the series will be a by-the-numbers monster of the week romp that has a weird protag that wants to touch boobs but then it almost immediately goes off the rails.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's easy to forget but the initial "Shonen hook" of the series was "devils are eating parts of the gun devil to gain strength, hunt down the gun devil parts" like it was Inuyasha looking for the Shikon Jewel fragments or whatever. Presumably there was an increase in devils because they were after the gun devil parts. It's great cus it leads you to believe that the series will be a by-the-numbers monster of the week romp that has a weird protag that wants to touch boobs but then it almost immediately goes off the rails.

Except that was a lie and the gun devil parts were already held by the various countries. If devils were just after Gun Devil parts they logically would be concentrated in America, which has 20% of the gun devil.

Though it could be that Japan also has 20% and since it's a smaller area than the US it's more noticeable I suppose.

The soviet union might've had more than the US did (I forget), but they're even bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I've just been assuming that the entire island of Japan is over a hell portal that grants devils easy access.