Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
One dealership near me has a couple. Also some W800.
Both look very cool and fun and may work. Going to check luggage options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

My wife! is trying to convince me to get a bigger bike*.

My use case is basically commuting, and rides < 2hrs locally. I want to spend less than 8k. The dealerships that have any stock are upcharging eye-watering amounts.
I would like to take a closer look at the Rebel 500. Nobody has any new ones in stock. Dealers are trying to charge $7k for 2017 and 2018 models though, 3000-5000 miles. I know that Covid has done a number, but I don't think I'm comfortable with paying new MSRP money on 5 year old bikes.

Private sales look better, but I'd prefer not to fork over the entire purchase amount at once.

The NC750 of all years looks like it might work, but these are even harder to find.

Any opinion on the CTX 700?

What else should I consider? I've looked at older Rebels and Shadows. The Vstrom 650 might work. Found a 2011 at a dealer for $5.6k lol.

*I'm afraid she thinks I'm going to trade in/sell the Monkey. I don't want to get rid of this bike.

Do you want a bigger bike? What's her concern?

My suggestions is the oft forgotten Honda CB500X.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah, it would be super nice to not be at redline 95% of the time and be able to pass something faster than a combine.

Theresa a CB500X for sale locally, too. Looks similar to the NC700/750.
I think I'll check that one and a CTX out soon to seat test them.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The 500X is a phenomenal bike. I really miss mine.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Suzuki SV650.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Suzuki SV650.

This or an mt07.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Steakandchips posted:

Suzuki SV650.

Heh I am going to look at a 2011 V-Strom 650 ABS tomorrow. It already has all the cases I would need. If the seat height works for me, it would be a very attractive option.

I went to a dealer in Hillsboro today to look at a bunch of different bikes. Checked out a Rebel 500 and while the seating position was okay, the seat itself was ? mediocre? I'm not sure how to put it, but it wasn't comfortable just sitting there. It's in my top 3, but this place wants new MSRP$$$ for a 5 yr old bike with 3k miles.
I did like the CTX a lot more, but the feet forward position threw me off. Not sure what to think about it. I'd love to check it out further, but the dealership didn't seem very interested in selling in. Half-hearted "we need to do a safety inspection" and then I never heard back from them.
The CB500X looked very sweet and I'm actually considering it, too - if the seat height works - but I'm not inclined to go back to that place.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fwiw seats designed to feel nice in a showroom are almost always garbage for actual riding. That's not to say the opposite is always true, more that you learn nothing about a bike without riding it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Unfortunately, that dealership was not forthcoming with test rides.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Don’t buy without a test ride.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Steakandchips posted:

Don’t buy without a test ride.

Pretty sure this means only buying bikes that cost at least $10K right now. And probably from a specialty dealership. Triumph and Harley will give you test rides. The places that sell metric bikes? "Buy it or don't. Someone else will in five minutes if you don't" pretty much sums up their attitude.

I also hated that dealership in Hillsboro. Bob Lanphere's is only a tiny bit better. Maybe try the dealership down in Sublimity? I've heard some decent things about them and they're enormous. More dirt bike/farm bike focused, but could be worth the trip.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Buying without a test ride is a very bad idea. Ergonomics while riding are totally different from sitting on one in the showroom.

I wanted a Scout so badly, loved how it felt in the showroom, so comfy! Five minutes riding it and I was dying from back pain.

If only Triumph and Harley will give you test rides, then buy one of them.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Fwiw seats designed to feel nice in a showroom are almost always garbage for actual riding. That's not to say the opposite is always true, more that you learn nothing about a bike without riding it.

Slavvy knows what's up.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Check out peer-to-peer rental services like Riders Share or Twisted Road. *IF* someone has a bike you're shopping for available then a one-day rental can be a good investment in lieu of a normal test ride.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The dealership with the VStrom will have the bike ready for me to ride later today. I checked ahead with them.

That place is in Salem and it seems more accommodating, even if the prices are still insane

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Nice and they're paying you to take that bike away for them right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He said vstrom not versys

At worst it should be free

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Free would be nice but even hopeless POS bikes distributed into 11 crates in a meth heads back yard are now at least $600 if my local FB market place is anything to go by.

I took that bike on a nice test ride. Salesperson came along on their Scout lol.
It handled fine, if a bit slower than I'm used to from the Monkey with a wheel base of 2 ft or whatever.
Power was linear and completely predictable.
The front brake took a bit more pull than I was used to.
That year VStrom has a seat height of 32.6 inches. I have a 28 inch inseam so I was a bit worried about this aspect. The test ride included city traffic with stop and go, which was incredibly helpful in evaluating the bike for my usual riding conditions.
Turns out I managed fine. My rear end needs to be off center a bit when I stop but I felt secure and planted every time.
It's definitely a different feel from my Monkey - it's so small it feels like a body extension, idk. It's extremely easy to throw around and not ever be thrown off balance.
This feels more like riding atop a horse. My son's KLX300R feels very similar to this.
Anyways, my ride impressions

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Rode a couple more bikes on much shorter test rides. The first was an older Shadow 750 and it was comfortable, but I didn't care as much for slower handling or riding position.
Second was some older F800. Fun power, way too tall, too old, not confidence inspiring mechanically.
So anyway, I went and bought the V Strom.

I rode it home from the dealership - 26 miles and I rode some more today on the local twisties. I mostly stuck to routes I'm familiar with already on the Monkey to get a good comparison feel. I deliberately kept it slower than I am used to. I practiced some low speed maneuvers on it and did some panic stops.
Anyways, good bike. I like the upright riding position. It's so dad-bike that it has a front fender extender.

I'm not very good with money, but I also have a garage filled with bikes now :smugdog:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Nice! Enjoy the hell out of it

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice roomy panniers there.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
FWIW I also live somewhere where you buy bikes off the show room and they're not ready to ride so absolutely no test rides, so I feel your pain. I guess it makes buying used more attractive? :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its really tough to go wrong with an SV or SV-derived bike, so you done good, congrats!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that should give you years of good reliable riding. First gen Stroms can set up a headshaking buffet at helmet level, depending on the windscreen, but if you didn't notice anything yet you're probably fine.

If your wife rides with you sometimes, the back seat is apparently very comfortable for something that wasn't constructed as a touring bike.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 17, 2022

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Remy Marathe posted:

Ways in which the Bonneville makes me sad:
-There's a maintenance reminder light that will prompt you every 1 year or 4k miles to bring your motorcycle to a Triumph dealership and spend ~$600 USD for an all-day service that probably includes mostly things you can do yourself (Oil change, coolant, brake fluid, fastener tightening, spark plug checks etc. ), plus hooking it up to an expensive proprietary machine that goes bing. The interval can be changed by the shop I believe.

Unless it's different from the Street Triple, you can reset that with an OBD2 reader and a cheap android phone/tablet. I never once took mine to the dealer. Also works for stuff like cycling the ABS pump for a brake flush.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah if nothing's changed triumph are unusually good that way compared to other euro bikes

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Slavvy you were very right about the Multi V2, I rode one after you mentioned it and it owned. Unfortunately I am a dumbass and ended up buying a coworker's GSA for the time being (pics later, who wants to see my dad bike that looks like everyone else's), but I think the V2 is high on my list if I decide I really do like big expensive tourers.

Also I test rode a Z900RS, man those things are cool.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
It feels like the insurance company are getting close to paying out for my SV650 so I'm starting to thing about what to replace it with. I have a strong hankering for an MT09, but it's clearly more bike than I need. My budget is about £11K but I'm happy to spend less. My riding career consists of 5000 miles on a WR125X, then about the same on my SV650 (and about 200 miles on my DRZ). Is there something with a bit more character than an MT07 or another SV650 that I should be looking at? Triumph Trident 650 maybe?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Fats posted:

Unless it's different from the Street Triple, you can reset that with an OBD2 reader and a cheap android phone/tablet. I never once took mine to the dealer. Also works for stuff like cycling the ABS pump for a brake flush.

Is there a trick to telling whether a specific OBD2 reader might be able to activate the ABS, or is that something most modern OBD2 readers with smartphone apps will do? I had assumed the software side would either need to be Triumph-proprietary or some bespoke gadget like this one: http://dealertoolcouk.ipage.com/. Triumph forums referenced that one a few times but I wasn't about to give credit card info on a site from the 80's.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Megabook posted:

It feels like the insurance company are getting close to paying out for my SV650 so I'm starting to thing about what to replace it with. I have a strong hankering for an MT09, but it's clearly more bike than I need. My budget is about £11K but I'm happy to spend less. My riding career consists of 5000 miles on a WR125X, then about the same on my SV650 (and about 200 miles on my DRZ). Is there something with a bit more character than an MT07 or another SV650 that I should be looking at? Triumph Trident 650 maybe?

Trident looks pretty cool. How about like a hypermotard? Probably a bit speedier than your budget though.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Heh, I put 500 miles on the Vstrom in one week of having it. I think Portland weather is about to put a damper on that though.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Heh, I put 500 miles on the Vstrom in one week of having it. I think Portland weather is about to put a damper on that though.

I saw that bike on their website and wished I could get over my feelings about buy-eyed headlights enough to consider it. I’m perhaps weirdly happy that someone I sort-of internet know got it.

With my heated grips and the investment I made in decent rain gear, I plan on keeping on the roads as often as I can until we have those 2 weeks or so in January where there’s snow. Totally understand that fall rain isn’t the ideal weather to learn a new bike in, but hopefully you can still get plenty of time with it before it turns gray for nine months.

And don’t worry: With climate change there will still be lots of dry days in the PNW between now and next June. Sure, that means we’re that much closer to extinction, but that’s at least a few years away. Probably.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
For sure, Wednesday and Thursday look pretty good this week!

I liked that dealership. They still charged out the rear end but they were honest about it and made me feel important as a customer. They did try to sell me a $1000 add-on maintenance agreement lol

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
I had a chance to briefly ride a KTM duke 790. Pretty impressive. They seem to be much cheaper than an equivalent mt09 or Street triple on the UK used market. Is this just because orange bike equals bad or are they just a bargain? Dubious of owning a KTM mainly from what I’ve read here.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I got to do a test ride on a Bonneville T120 today and I'm absolutely in love.

If things go as planned, within the next few months I should have a bike Slavvy will approve of.

I ended up at two dealerships today while I was running errands. At the Harley dealership, they were playing AC/DC. At the Triumph dealership, they were playing The Shins. That about sums up the whole thing, doesn't it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Geekboy posted:

If things go as planned, within the next few months I should have a bike Slavvy will approve of.

I ended up at two dealerships today while I was running errands. At the Harley dealership, they were playing AC/DC. At the Triumph dealership, they were playing The Shins. That about sums up the whole thing, doesn't it?

Bon Scott AC/DC or Brian Johnson AC/DC

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Oibignose posted:

I had a chance to briefly ride a KTM duke 790. Pretty impressive. They seem to be much cheaper than an equivalent mt09 or Street triple on the UK used market. Is this just because orange bike equals bad or are they just a bargain? Dubious of owning a KTM mainly from what I’ve read here.

they’re a brand new engine designed at a price point. I wouldn’t buy one for a few years until the design matures

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Phy posted:

Bon Scott.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah, a classy Harley shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oibignose posted:

They are poo

Geekboy posted:

Get a 300

Phy posted:

Extremely important distinction imo

Phy posted:

Ah, a classy Harley shop