Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Same thing happened to Build King

Yeah, but nobody wants to read the ending of Build King anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Yeah, but nobody wants to read the ending of Build King anyway.

I take offense to that statement. I read it and the MC finally had a halfway decent design when he's timeskipped into a Fist of the North Star bruiser.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
God what a shame about Super Smartphone.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Super Smartphone: They'd better translate that ending! :argh: So much for me thinking the author was going to stick the landing. This was, imo, the first really good Manga I was reading that was cancelled.

Mashle: I mean the artwork is fantastic, but where's Mash. At this rate, it's going to take another 5 weeks to get him to show up since we apparently need 2 weeks for the Aimes brothers. Then probably 2 weeks for !Gaara. Then Mash has to get over there. I'm technically okay with this, except that no one cares about these guys.

Elusive: He was much more honorable than I expected

Undead: :black101: I'm not a big Undead Unluck fan, but these chapters remind me why I read this.

Sakamoto: I see he got his thin on. Should be interesting what's going to happen now, considering it was turned off earlier.
Still, I love that Sakamoto just had the camera dude destroy his own camera

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So we all know the joke for Mashle is going to be the wind up key doesn't work, but putting a cream puff in front of his face is going to get him to immediately wake up, Popeye style?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Digging rakugo politics at play, completely with the archtypical "newbie crusher" dude. Of course, Akane doesn't really care about some newbie crusher dude and just uses the guy's petty digging to listen to master rakugokas do their thing instead. Also the top zenza dude turns out to be a bro, it's the loving haircut, nobody with that 'do ends up being an actual jerk. I guess the plan now is to have Akane put on an opener so strong that the dude's performance is diminished in comparison? Go get 'em, Akane!

Elusive Samurai: My boy Kojiro getting his Huge W. Attaboy.

G&G: Lore! Also mini Ginka blushing is cute. Looks like we also go the name of the overarching main villain of the story. Can't wait to see these actually strong mages and see how hosed up they are.

Mashle: Eh. Not even a meh.

Roboco and Me: Didn't know the R&M mangaka had another series on Manga+, that's something new I learned today. Also the We Never Learn being on + confused me, cause wasn't it on SJ proper? Did it get moved to Manga+ for the multiple ending arcs or was it always in Manga+ and I was just mistaken about it being on SJ?

Sakamoto Days: drat I love the fight choreography. Also the filmmaker dude is a fun villain you love to hate. He's a prick but he's very dedicated to his concept and I can respect that. I love him losing his motivation to fight after his camera gets broken and then getting all excited when he remembers that you can use phones to film because technology has progressed. The dude alternates between scary (willing to take Akari's arm because a one-armed protagonist sounds interesting) to comedic (instantly losing strength when his camera is broken) and it's neat.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Roboco and Me: Didn't know the R&M mangaka had another series on Manga+, that's something new I learned today. Also the We Never Learn being on + confused me, cause wasn't it on SJ proper? Did it get moved to Manga+ for the multiple ending arcs or was it always in Manga+ and I was just mistaken about it being on SJ?

It was the gag series for The Promised Neverland, I think. And the We Never Learn thing seems to be that the author started on Jump Plus, not the series, which ran in Jump proper.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

It was the gag series for The Promised Neverland, I think. And the We Never Learn thing seems to be that the author started on Jump Plus, not the series, which ran in Jump proper.

Oh, dope!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

So we all know the joke for Mashle is going to be the wind up key doesn't work, but putting a cream puff in front of his face is going to get him to immediately wake up, Popeye style?

They’re probably turning it the wrong way.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Darth TNT posted:

They’re probably turning it the wrong way.

Y'know what, that's absolutely it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If that's the case I'll retroactively take back all the negativity I had towards Mashle.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
New yomi no tsugai is out and it's great

https://mangadex.org/chapter/5dfd9715-0a70-458a-b24d-404e36c4e98c/1

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I appreciate the Main Characters unflinching position that the only side is his side. Also the mangaka being OP does not escape me.

fake edit:

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 17, 2022

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mashle: I know Mashle's supposed to be a parody of Harry Potter but it didn't also need to copy Book 7 where most of the book was spent with nothing important happening and just waiting for the plot to get here.

Ginka & Glüna: Dropping this. The way it just speeds through building up an emotional plot beat and its resolution within the same chapter makes it really hard to care about the characters or anything that's going on.

Witch Watch: The student-teacher duo chapters of making their own fan-manga are good but it always feels so detached from the rest of the series. Kind of seems like the author wanted to make a manga about making manga but doesn't have enough material for an entire series so they're just inserting it here.

PPPPPP: Remains oddly compelling with its sibling drama. Having Fanta's playing style be copied and losing with it on purpose in order to throw off Fanta himself is a devious plan that the old Lucky wouldn't have been able to come up with. Would this be enough to close the gap between their abilities?

Monster #8: 72 chapters in and it feels like there's way too much that happened and not enough at the same time, if that makes any sense. Timeline-wise, Kafka has only recently joined the defense force. But then the series kept escalating its threat level by having Isao get assimilated, to new high-category monsters appearing, to everyone unlocking the super-secret number weapons, to a nationwide and coordinated attack by the monsters. It's like if Naruto just finished the Chuunin Exam and then got immediately thrown to fighting Pain and Madara-levels of threat.

The Game Devil: Haven't seen anyone bring this up. I found it funny how the main character is like a carbon copy of the protag from Ghost Plagiarist, right down to being someone struggling to make it in the manga industry but can't come up with a compelling hook worth a drat. There was an interesting angle there about how the MC was the one to originally come up with the idea for the Black Knight character yet his friend took it and popularized it in his own game, so now everyone thinks he's the one ripping off the concept. But then it falls off the wayside for the more generic 'real-life-turns-into-a-game' plot, so yeah. It's also a bizarre decision to make the MC's motivation be about wanting to impress his childhood friend but never showing the friend's face at all, much less a hint of his personality.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only thing that keeps sticking in my head with Ginka and Gluna is how tall the aristocrat girl is. Is she literally a giant or are Ginka and Gluna kinda short? It seems like she towers over everyone.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ginka & Glüna: Yeah, it's losing me as well. Speeding through the introductory chapters was a good move, but it seems to be speeding through everything else as well. Combined with how unchallenged our main protagonists seem to be by everything, it's just completely destroying my interest. Tall girl is tall which is pretty refreshing, but this being manga, I wouldn't be surprised if she turns out being like 178 cm or something. :v:

Tokyo Demon Bride Story: In contrast to Ginko & Glüna - a series I want to like, while losing interest in it due to it's writing, I am ready to drop Tokyo Bride at any point, but I still can't see any reason to do so. It's cute and funny, there is zero fan-service and the main heroine is the only female character that has shown any romantic interests towards the protagonist so far. It looks like it's more of a slice of life combined with battle shonen than a harem or a romcom.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Also, I do like that for Heart Gear we essentially jumped back into the story with one of those scripted boss fights from a JRPG where you are going to lose. But come on, this is a really unfair matchup.

I can only imagine how much more berserk Chrome will be when he sees Rue in this much danger. That or maybe the other faction shows up for a timely save.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

the main heroine is the only female character that has shown any romantic interests towards the protagonist so far.

What about the frog girl, and the cat girl who appears at the end of the most recent chapter?

I agree that there isn't really any fanservice, but that just makes the harem manga tropes stranger. It feels like the writer is unthinkingly filling in gaps with clichés from the wrong genre.

Speaking of clichés, Aliens Area looks like it's wrapping up soon, and while it's better than it started out as, it still kind of deserves the cancellation. Arguably a lot of the "improvement" was just using big-picture plot development as a stalling tactic to dodge the fundamental problem that it's a battle manga by someone who can't write interesting fight scenes.

And yes, Ginka and Gluna, after briefly flirting with the idea that the protagonists aren't completely invincible, is now back to "lol we can just magic away any problem."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Also, I do like that for Heart Gear we essentially jumped back into the story with one of those scripted boss fights from a JRPG where you are going to lose. But come on, this is a really unfair matchup.

I can only imagine how much more berserk Chrome will be when he sees Rue in this much danger. That or maybe the other faction shows up for a timely save.

Yeah, Roue needs to put the gun down. :v: Bringing a gun to a fist fight.
I look forward to the carnage when Chrom puts himself back together.

Meanwhile Dandadan swerves from a love story to a horror story in the span of a page. :ohdear:

quote:

The Game Devil: Haven't seen anyone bring this up. I found it funny how the main character is like a carbon copy of the protag from Ghost Plagiarist, right down to being someone struggling to make it in the manga industry but can't come up with a compelling hook worth a drat. There was an interesting angle there about how the MC was the one to originally come up with the idea for the Black Knight character yet his friend took it and popularized it in his own game, so now everyone thinks he's the one ripping off the concept. But then it falls off the wayside for the more generic 'real-life-turns-into-a-game' plot, so yeah. It's also a bizarre decision to make the MC's motivation be about wanting to impress his childhood friend but never showing the friend's face at all, much less a hint of his personality.

I want to like Game Devil, because I like how it swerves between videogame and real world. But I keep glazing over whenever I try to read it. I think the lead may be aggressively uninteresting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ginka & Glüna: Yeah, it's losing me as well. Speeding through the introductory chapters was a good move, but it seems to be speeding through everything else as well. Combined with how unchallenged our main protagonists seem to be by everything, it's just completely destroying my interest. Tall girl is tall which is pretty refreshing, but this being manga, I wouldn't be surprised if she turns out being like 178 cm or something. :v:

Height is really relative in Shonen manga. Yuji in Jujutsu Kaisen and Makima in Chainsaw Man are the same height, but because Chainsaw Man's cast is pretty tall (Aki is 6'3'', for example), Makima doesn't seem that unusual, while Yuji's surrounded by people about his height, so he seems respectably tall, with people like Gojo looking huge rather than simply a bit on the tall side.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

What about the frog girl, and the cat girl who appears at the end of the most recent chapter?

I agree that there isn't really any fanservice, but that just makes the harem manga tropes stranger. It feels like the writer is unthinkingly filling in gaps with clichés from the wrong genre.

Dunno about the cat girl as she appeared literally on the last page of this chapter, but the frog girl is obviously friendly and feels like she is indebted to the protagonist, both because he helped her and because she attacked him, which is a pretty standard future harem member thing, but I feel that in by-the-books harem she would be obviously infatuated and actively pursue him by now, which she isn't. Demon Bride does this a lot, as you mentioned -it uses a generic harem cliché, but then doesn't follow through with it to a logical conclusion and you end up with a series that uses loads of harem tropes without being actually a harem. It's weird, but it keeps me curious enough to follow it and see where it goes. And in meanwhile, the actual character interactions are pretty fun.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's weird Mashle is building up Fantasy Godot when there's still a main antagonist I think they forgot about.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I really liked this chapter. this series has def got my attention at this point

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yomi no tsugai has mostly been about yuru trying to figure out who he can trust. so, this chapter was a big deal because it made it clear that he can trust absolutely no one. they are all really fuckin' shady!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It hasn't been since the first chapter of Make the Exorcist fall in love where I truly felt that the presence of a demon lord was something repulsive to earth and humans. Mammon was just an rear end in a top hat obsessed with that salty runback against Mr. Priest but also framed as a representation of anger and resentment MGTOW style. He was very human in the end. Leviathan was just misunderstood and unable to help being so ridiculously large and powerful and causing mayhem just by existing so she became a loli, she just wanted a friend. Now Asmodeus, she wasn't around for long but bursting out the deformed and distended stomach of her own subordinate and mind controlling an entire town in an instant was hosed up. Doubly so because she is the patron saint of the surprise snuggle. But I think she's finally been topped by the Lord of the Flies because I expected some really twisted stuff and this latest chapter did not fail to deliver on all fronts. What a magnificent disaster this whole thing was and an unexpected Jab at veganisms because meat will always be delicious. Shame Bubs is only a fan of the long pig. I cannot wait for him to get destroyed

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

It hasn't been since the first chapter of Make the Exorcist fall in love where I truly felt that the presence of a demon lord was something repulsive to earth and humans. Mammon was just an rear end in a top hat obsessed with that salty runback against Mr. Priest but also framed as a representation of anger and resentment MGTOW style. He was very human in the end. Leviathan was just misunderstood and unable to help being so ridiculously large and powerful and causing mayhem just by existing so she became a loli, she just wanted a friend. Now Asmodeus, she wasn't around for long but bursting out the deformed and distended stomach of her own subordinate and mind controlling an entire town in an instant was hosed up. Doubly so because she is the patron saint of the surprise snuggle. But I think she's finally been topped by the Lord of the Flies because I expected some really twisted stuff and this latest chapter did not fail to deliver on all fronts. What a magnificent disaster this whole thing was and an unexpected Jab at veganisms because meat will always be delicious. Shame Bubs is only a fan of the long pig. I cannot wait for him to get destroyed

Yeah it's incredibly hosed up, like the part where the dad invokes the whole "parent says I love you before being murdered", only for Beelzebub to make a mockery of those last words by immediately puppeteering her parent's corpses into grotesque, laughing... things... is so brutal. It's like a super harsh swerve from the one moment of tenderness in a chapter full of poo poo just getting worse.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I feel leaving it to the bible quote from the brief flashback a while back might have been the better part of valour.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 19, 2022

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1582656346024923136?t=dT04NwqxEXfYiAEZMplHgA&s=19

I never read beyond chapter 2 but rip I guess

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The hits keep a comin'...

...And a goin'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It genuinely read like the author just wanted to write Anime Men In Black but got told he has to have a punchman protagonist so he half Assad the protagonist as much as possible. I don't even think he got another fight after his first.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ayashimon died so Aliens Area could...die.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It had been on a quality upturn for a little while, but that rarely saves you anymore. Hoping we get something else exciting soon that actually gets to live, and yeah I know Akanebanashi isn't that old.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

haypliss posted:

It had been on a quality upturn for a little while, but that rarely saves you anymore. Hoping we get something else exciting soon that actually gets to live, and yeah I know Akanebanashi isn't that old.

Ruri Dragon is pretty great....:smith:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yes I'm sure the Berenstein universe is enjoying it's barnstormer of an uninterrupted run.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

is double arts uncancelled yet

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah it's incredibly hosed up, like the part where the dad invokes the whole "parent says I love you before being murdered", only for Beelzebub to make a mockery of those last words by immediately puppeteering her parent's corpses into grotesque, laughing... things... is so brutal. It's like a super harsh swerve from the one moment of tenderness in a chapter full of poo poo just getting worse.

Is no one gonna comment on the girl eating her baby brother at the end (or at least I think that's what was happening)

edit: lmao I'm an idiot and somehow didn't notice that was Leah's backstory (forgot her name was Leah)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 19, 2022

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Is no one gonna comment on the girl eating her baby brother at the end (or at least I think that's what was happening)

edit: lmao I'm an idiot and somehow didn't notice that was Leah's backstory (forgot her name was Leah)

That was just the cherry on top of that entire chapter but I also didn't want to mention it outright. The whole flashback was doomed from the start but I was right that her family living on a cattle farm was going to be used for the absolute worst outcome.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I looked at the first few pages of 1 and then left.

That axe is going dull at this rate.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I really liked how they made it a men in black type series but it just didn't do a lot with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I really liked how they made it a men in black type series but it just didn't do a lot with it.

I think if it had been that from the start it might have at least earned a few more eyes than "absolutely insanely bog standard by the numbers shonen first chapter where the protagonist literally rips off the second most popular shonen punchman protagonist of all time when showing off his Unique Power."