Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

If you head to Bloomsbury there's a second hand bookshop called Skoob which is fun to scour for obscure stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You can't fool me. I may not remember the name but I remember this game.

Bloomsbury station is closed and all passengers have to loop through Heathrow or pay seven tokens.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

withak posted:

Apparently [The Spare Man] is a takeoff of The Thin Man.

ulmont posted:

The description reads to me more like Nick and Nora.

I would like to update to note that:
1) The Thin Man is Nick and Nora and
2) I had confused it with The Third Man.

My bad; carry on.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Harold Fjord posted:

You can't fool me. I may not remember the name but I remember this game.

Bloomsbury station is closed and all passengers have to loop through Heathrow or pay seven tokens.
it's Mornington Crescent

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yahtzee!

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Finished reading The Spare Man.

It was decent, I enjoyed it a bit less than Kowal's previous works. Some of the early dialog felt stronger than the later parts and many of the characters felt a bit thin to me. We know their name and gender, but not a lot of what motivates them.

I think it suffered from placing a whodunit in a "cameras are everywhere" future. At times it was hard for me to suspend disbelief that someone didn't see what was happening.

Ending spoilers: I got really tired of the security chief and how incompetent he was. The constant fights with the lawyer were also tiring, she could apparently win all the battles, but it never seemed to matter much in changing what was going to happen. It was funny to see how the murderer reacted to the dog be relevant. As someone who is allergic to dogs, they acted just like I would have.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I'm about 75 pages from finishing 'Cibola Burn' (4th Expanse book)...and I'm ripping through these pretty quickly. Anyone have other recs for sci-fi book series? I've had the 'Old Man's War' series by John Scalzi on my list for sometime, so I might read that next. I also remember enjoying the first few 'Frontlines' books by Marco Kloos seven or eight years ago. Turns out that there are eight of those now. So I'll probably read those as well.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I'm about 75 pages from finishing 'Cibola Burn' (4th Expanse book)...and I'm ripping through these pretty quickly. Anyone have other recs for sci-fi book series? I've had the 'Old Man's War' series by John Scalzi on my list for sometime, so I might read that next. I also remember enjoying the first few 'Frontlines' books by Marco Kloos seven or eight years ago. Turns out that there are eight of those now. So I'll probably read those as well.
Are you looking for space scifi? The quality of the following varies from excellent to scenery-chewing schlock. (Some are series and some are one-off)

Poor Man's War
To honor you call us
The dragon never sleeps
Darkwar
A memory called empire
Ancillary justice
Revenger
Expendable
A fire upon the deep
The Pandora sequence
The forever war

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

RDM posted:

Are you looking for space scifi? The quality of the following varies from excellent to scenery-chewing schlock. (Some are series and some are one-off)

Poor Man's War
To honor you call us
The dragon never sleeps
Darkwar
A memory called empire
Ancillary justice
Revenger
Expendable
A fire upon the deep
The Pandora sequence
The forever war

Space sci-fi is definitely some of my favorite to read. But sci-fi/fantasy is great as well. 'Hyperion' is my favorite novel....for example. And yes....I enjoyed the rest of the the Cantos fully realizing that none of it measured up to the original.

Thanks for the list. Plenty to dig through there.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Space sci-fi is definitely some of my favorite to read. But sci-fi/fantasy is great as well. 'Hyperion' is my favorite novel....for example. And yes....I enjoyed the rest of the the Cantos fully realizing that none of it measured up to the original.

Thanks for the list. Plenty to dig through there.

Read Ninefox Gambit imo, it's really good and has that Hyperion feeling of "sci-fi that's so loose it shades into fantasy".

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

RDM posted:

To honor you call us

Just as a heads-up, this author was a covid denier, and the series will never be finished because he died of covid. If that influences your buying/reading decisions any.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Finally getting into Gideon 9 and it’s a lot of fun but man sometimes the choices here just baffling. “Harrow’s glare wasn’t quite withering, but it certainly pulled the moisture from everything it landed on.” Is this a joke? One of those hidden memes?? Or did she seriously write “her gaze wasn’t withering it simply withered?”

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
it was more like one of those packets you get which say not to eat then

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ceebees posted:

Just as a heads-up, this author was a covid denier, and the series will never be finished because he died of covid. If that influences your buying/reading decisions any.

Now that's science fiction baby

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

General Battuta posted:

Ceebees posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ceebees posted:

to the ventilator you call us

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Clark Nova posted:

to the ventilator you call us
:perfect:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Red Rising (#1) by Pierce Brown - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVS2J80/

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ceebees posted:

tbh I thought Honsinger was *a bit* better than most kindle-based MilSF authors, but it was a little weird that the backstory of his world included an alien bioweapon that killed all of Earth's women

Reminded me unpleasantly of that Ringo series where an alien bio-weapon devastates every demographic on Earth except for white blondes

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

PupsOfWar posted:

tbh I thought Honsinger was *a bit* better than most kindle-based MilSF authors, but it was a little weird that the backstory of his world included an alien bioweapon that killed all of Earth's women

Reminded me unpleasantly of that Ringo series where an alien bio-weapon devastates every demographic on Earth except for white blondes

I almost don't want to ask (or know) but how did Honsigner explain the continuation of humanity as a species? Gay marriage with pregnancies?(kinda rooting for this one) Artificial wombs with a view? Humans can spawn like ameobas now through sheer macho-honor stubbornness?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Everyone posted:

I almost don't want to ask (or know) but how did Honsigner explain the continuation of humanity as a species? Gay marriage with pregnancies?(kinda rooting for this one) Artificial wombs with a view? Humans can spawn like ameobas now through sheer macho-honor stubbornness?

a small number of ladies survived via drastic quarantine measures, happenstance, or being offworld

obviously it would have been more interesting if he'd committed to showing a monosex society, but it was primarily:

- an excuse to not have any significant female characters

- source of main character angst (the hero's mom and like eight sisters died)

- justification for having child soldiers to compensate for manpower shortage (which he seemingly wanted to do as an homage to 1700s-1800s naval warfare where you'd just have tweens roaming around warships)

edit: I don't think he addressed how this interacted with intersex or trans persons

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 20, 2022

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

It's a pretty common trope, didn't Scalzi have a sterilization virus too? Goes back at least to childhoods end.

PupsOfWar posted:

- justification for having child soldiers to compensate for manpower shortage (which he seemingly wanted to do as an homage to 1700s-1800s naval warfare where you'd just have tweens roaming around warships)
I mean it's master and commander but with space words.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

The Vaccinator Baru Cormorant

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bear Sleuth posted:

Finally getting into Gideon 9 and it’s a lot of fun but man sometimes the choices here just baffling. “Harrow’s glare wasn’t quite withering, but it certainly pulled the moisture from everything it landed on.” Is this a joke? One of those hidden memes?? Or did she seriously write “her gaze wasn’t withering it simply withered?”

I don't remember that, just sounds like a slightly overblown figure of speech

The only thing that annoyed me about Gideons writing was her using "wouldn't do x if you paid her" twice in a row

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser Volume One: Swords and Deviltry, Swords Against Death, and Swords in the Mist by Fritz Leiber - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0741VJC4D/

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

pradmer posted:

The Adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser Volume One: Swords and Deviltry, Swords Against Death, and Swords in the Mist by Fritz Leiber - $3.99

This is absolutely foundational stuff, basically one should not feel qualified to have an opinion on fantasy in general or sword & sorcery in particular without having read some of Leiber's stories.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Groke posted:

This is absolutely foundational stuff, basically one should not feel qualified to have an opinion on fantasy in general or sword & sorcery in particular without having read some of Leiber's stories.

While I don't share my esteemed colleague's opinion w/r/t one's qualifications on having opinions on things, I do share his enthusiasm for this particular series.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
swords in the mist is a great isekai

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Poldarn posted:

While I don't share my esteemed colleague's opinion w/r/t one's qualifications on having opinions on things, I do share his enthusiasm for this particular series.

idk about qualified opinions but it's definitely worth reading just to have a better foundational understanding of the genre, though it's also pretty entertaining, too. I'd put it up there with Jack Vance's Dying Earth stuff, Bradbury's Mars stuff, Robert E. Howard etc.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

pradmer posted:

These are really drat good stories. They don't make em like they used to. Had read some of these long ago and am rereading them now. I'm also a big fan of Dying Earth and would recommend these books as well if you enjoy Vance stuff.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It's so weird that the Boston Science Museum is such a prominent location in Accelerando. It was my #1 place to beg my mom to go to growing up. (I don't think I ever saw the Constitution.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FPyat posted:

It's so weird that the Boston Science Museum is such a prominent location in Accelerando. It was my #1 place to beg my mom to go to growing up. (I don't think I ever saw the Constitution.)

Got married there, boston science museum owns.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I think that one has the Unholy Chalice AND the Snow Women. For real, don't sleep on it. Fritz Leiber does more with a short story than modern writers do with doorstoppers. Some of the shorts are your standard Conan slays monkeys and dark wizards tales, but others, like the ones I mentioned, are foundational to the genre. I doubt a book like the Blacktongue Thief or The Lies of Locke Lamora or would exist without them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This might be a stretch, but someone here wrote me his alternate timeline where the USSR advanced in the space race by (iirc) mastering mining and industry in orbit.

Anyone remember who it was or how it played out?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tias posted:

This might be a stretch, but someone here wrote me his alternate timeline where the USSR advanced in the space race by (iirc) mastering mining and industry in orbit.

Anyone remember who it was or how it played out?

Isn't that an Aurora let's play?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
E: No, turns out it was Nebukanezzar:

quote:

Timeline:

1957: the goldsboro incident results in an accidental nuclear detonation of 4 MT, and the US eastern seaboard is contaminated with fallout.

This incident results in an international treaty limiting nuclear weapons, making MAD still a thing, but with vastly fewer warheads. America goes along with this as they need the money to rebuild.

The cold war, while not over, is less intense, and a large portion of the money that was spent on weapons is sublimated into a great power competition in space. Vietnam War never happens. The US/USSR space plans include all those early 1960s programs that were later cut: space planes, the rockets after the Saturn 5, moon bases...

The USSR, having lost the race to the moon, set up shop at a Lagrange point and begin using automated probes to haul asteroids to the point for space manufacturing

At some juncture, the USSR develops efficient space manufacturing/resources extraction, giving their economy an enormous boost. The cold war becomes tepid, as on earth the Soviets trade space resources for western technology they lack. Democratic reforms happen in the USSR, improving the economy and making the political culture less brittle. At some point a reactionary Stalinist takes over the USSR, and after a year or two of fighting reforms, USSR and the Warsaw pact collapse.

At this point, however, space industry, spread among all the ExComms, creates an incentive to keep the Soviet space program together. Further, need for cooperation among the excomms stops Russia from acting like historical Russia post-USSR breakup.

Ronald Reagan is elected president, wants to win the space cold war by "unleashing capitalism."

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That sounds dreadful.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Any decent cyberpunk books come out in the last 5 years? Not like the game, but the genre.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Any decent cyberpunk books come out in the last 5 years? Not like the game, but the genre.

Void Star by Zachary Mason just makes it under the wire as a 2017 release. I thought it was pretty much the best William Gibson book I've read that was not written by Gibson, which I mean as the highest compliment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Chen Qiufan's Waste Tide is a good one.

Gibson's The Peripheral is just over 5 years old, and it's excellent. Its follow up , Agency, falls into your range, but it's not as good.