Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Infinitum posted:

LAW. LAW. YOU COULD LITERALLY TELEPORT ALL THESE IDIOTS INTO THE WATER WITH SHAMBLES
LAW

THIS IS WHY YOU'RE NOT AN EMPEROR LAW

Straw Hats going full Astro Boy and I love it.

Remember that for teleportation Law and/or his target need to be in his room and also have something to swap with, even if it's just like a pebble or something. And have we ever seen him move something to/from the ocean? Maybe his room doesn't work in water and the best he could do is blink someone right over the surface? In which case I think Van Augur would be quick enough to counter-teleport. I dunno, trying to make sense of Law's powers is probably foolish in the first place.

Edit: added the quote so my page snipe has some context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

mabels big day posted:

Decided to read these early scans this week. Is the visual quality always this bad on them?
it's not the regular scanlation team, someone unusually beat them to it with much worse quality scans & translation

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

lih posted:

it's not the regular scanlation team, someone unusually beat them to it with much worse quality scans & translation

Just like the old days.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

lih posted:

Yeah i know its not TCB, i just don't know why the scans are worse with them compared to what TCB gets

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

mabels big day posted:

Yeah i know its not TCB, i just don't know why the scans are worse with them compared to what TCB gets
Things may have changed but I believe early scanlations are still done from actual pictures of a physical copy of WSJ (hence the "scans" part) and processing those into decent-looking digital images takes a fair amount of time and skill.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Doctor Syrup posted:

Remember that for teleportation Law and/or his target need to be in his room and also have something to swap with, even if it's just like a pebble or something. And have we ever seen him move something to/from the ocean? Maybe his room doesn't work in water and the best he could do is blink someone right over the surface? In which case I think Van Augur would be quick enough to counter-teleport. I dunno, trying to make sense of Law's powers is probably foolish in the first place.

Edit: added the quote so my page snipe has some context

He said it last chapter, strong Haki resist Devil Fruit power, same reason why he can't just shambles Doffy, Big Mom and Kaido.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

mabels big day posted:

The “scans” we get from TCB are people digitally drawing over the top of the newsprint. This other group got theirs out earlier because they’ve taken less time/care to fill in all the linework (and do proofreading it seems)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Cat Machine posted:

The “scans” we get from TCB are people digitally drawing over the top of the newsprint. This other group got theirs out earlier because they’ve taken less time/care to fill in all the linework (and do proofreading it seems)

i think they use photoshop as the baseline to manipulate the lines into something a bit more readable on digital devices and draw where needed when things are removed/added. because they don't get the original images directly from the source (afaik?), theres an overall quality loss which creates that weird inky feeling.

these scans are very shoddily done with a filter and nothing else since they don't fine tune them at all and the starting pages were probably lower quality than usual.

edit: from the linework, its pretty clear these arent even scans, just pictures of the manga. they have the exact same page breaks as the full raws from yesterday.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 20, 2022

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

I did not know that was the full process, that explains a lot

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remember to thank these guys

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oddium posted:

thank's

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

oddium posted:

thank you 3crew and m and also a

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i think people should stop posting fail-rear end scans/translations. the tcb translations come out early enough and are consistent in quality.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I got the tude now posted:

i think people should stop posting fail-rear end scans/translations. the tcb translations come out early enough and are consistent in quality.

I don't care if they are stick figure redraws as long as they are accurate and fast.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

I don't care if they are stick figure redraws as long as they are accurate and fast.

respectfully, i disagree.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I refuse to read these crappy scans…

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

yeah! gently caress those guys!!

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Guess I was correct in my speculation that TCB deciding to slow down their work on OP scans would get them immediate competition from other scanlators trying to one-up them.

You think we could make it an unofficial rule not to discuss the chapter when the new speedscans come out and keep waiting for TCB?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

respectfully, i disagree.

Cat Machine posted:

I refuse to read these crappy scans…

See gets the point across.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Delphisage posted:

Guess I was correct in my speculation that TCB deciding to slow down their work on OP scans would get them immediate competition from other scanlators trying to one-up them.

You think we could make it an unofficial rule not to discuss the chapter when the new speedscans come out and keep waiting for TCB?

No, that's dumb.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol if you didn't read lovely rear end low res quality scans of the series back in the day

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Infinitum posted:

lol if you didn't read lovely rear end low res quality scans of the series back in the day

Okay, now I'm wondering if we could get alternate scanlations that regress all the language and grammar to the Nakama days.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
the spoiler wars are lost, can’t change it so only the good spoilers can get posted now

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'll read spoilers reflected in the windows of a passing train

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Just gives me three chances to read One Piece every week. :smugbert:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

spoilers should be allowed again

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i saw this on a truck chassis that got delivered to work today

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Infinitum posted:

DONT try to big league me pal. i remember masaru d cheech as well as you. i'm just saying we have fast, quality scans so we should uplift ourselves above the animals.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Bisoromi Bear Sama

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

DONT try to big league me pal. i remember masaru d cheech as well as you. i'm just saying we have fast, quality scans so we should uplift ourselves above the animals.

:hai:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

thinking about the state of the berserk scans we traded on cds in the high school lan days

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I photoshop a big semi-transparent panda over every manga page I read.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

oddium posted:

i saw this on a truck chassis that got delivered to work today

wtf spoiler that

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it's your right to post the uber-lovely scans but it's also my right to make fun of you for consuming it like the sloppy little pig that you are

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Just gives me three chances to read One Piece every week. :smugbert:

Spoilers
Untranslated raws
Poorly translated raws
Well translated, redrawn scans
Official release

There's FIVE whole ways to consume One Piece a week!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Spoilers
Untranslated raws
Poorly translated raws
Well translated, redrawn scans
Official release

There's FIVE whole ways to consume One Piece a week!
The issue with spoilers to me at least is it always involves someone else's interpretation. I don't want someone between me and my One Piece! At least any more than is necessary for like translation.

The issue with untranslated raws to me is that I cannot understand them at all. The art alone doesn't come close to telling the story.

But personally, that still leaves three ways to consume One Piece every week that I'm quite happy with!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ONE PIECE!!!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cat Machine posted:

Vistaprint. They even do some cool AI upscaling poo poo to smooth out all the artefacting and make it nice and hi-res!

I had to draw in some missing linework to make it sit nicely on the mug, so here's the pic I uploaded:

i got this muggified and my friend immediately pointed out that it looks like Luffy has a tiny arm and now i want to spike it into the ground

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

It’s gear fifth foreshadowing, Luffy thought the tiny arm would be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Ah, so it's a mysterious tiny arm...