Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

I take an equally dim view of that book.

You forget the part where they're also massively brainwashed, and one time the conditioning broke in some random schola and they all rebelled. That was put down (brutally of course) and the rebels were then used as mortar to either reconstruct the schola or a wall for it.

My first reaction when I first heard about that was "That is loving stupid" and then reading about the rest like the resolve test did not help improve my opinion.

Didn't help that the only other Scion I saw in a book was in like Nik Kyme's Bloodblue story in the second Sabbat Crusade anthology.
And their inclusion in The Warmaster felt forced and they barely attributed to anything.

Calax posted:

So, a bit ago I read Honorbound by Rachael Harrison (A Commissar novel). And it plays everything entirely straight. She goes to the Schola and her sister gripes at her because she got into an unsanctioned fight. Legit had trouble getting into the story because the main character didn't feel like a human. There was never any hijinks, just DUTY.

I had similar issues with when I read it a while back. Rayne is just really bland as a character and some of the side characters are far more interesting. Zane in particular as I recall looking up my old tweets from when I read it.

Not to mention it does the usual sin of "Here is a guard unit, and now they're dead because we want to show that poo poo just got real." Not to mention the combat writing wasn't the most thrilling and felt very mechanical at places.
And then it just ends with a hook for a sequel that's never gonna happen anyway.
The book was solid but nothing as outstanding as the promos back then made me believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I actually liked the brainwashing element when it was mentioned in Carrion Throne. As a thing for Inquisitorial troopers it makes sense to me. :shobon: Maybe not galaxy-wide, of course, but on the other hand, canonically the Guard stormtroopers are just the guys who didn't make the Inquisitorial cut anyway. Another fun tidbit of Guard lore from the Cain novels. :v:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Can’t wait until we get a post-cawl mechanicum book where a heretek destroys/subverts a forgeworld by inventing social media.

E: the epilogue is Cawl (inferior maybe?) showing up and stealing some bits, and realizing the profound power of influencers and tiktok dances.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 20, 2022

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

D-Pad posted:

My source came through again and I got Void King early, almost finished and it is very good. Marc Collins is a great new author and the rogue trader stuff is very interesting. There are actually 4 different rogue trader dynasties involved and they are all part of a compact with one of the dynasty's head the king over all 4 houses. It's an interesting political setup and one I hadn't heard before with rogue traders.

Keep me posted on how many space battles there are.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Warden posted:

He does off-handedly mention that Schola Progenium uses convicted serious criminals for target practice, but doesn't dwell on it and apparently considers it business as usual. In the same book where he chuckles at Sororitas trainees using their power armor for the first time to attempt to impress the commissar trainees they fancy.

In short, Ciaphas Cain is a land of contrasts
To be fair, using convicts is not the same as using other students. At least the convicts have already exhausted whatever supply of second changes the Schola world provides and using live targets does reinforce the mindest that they want a Commissar to have: did a bad thing? :commissar:

Siivola posted:

I actually liked the brainwashing element when it was mentioned in Carrion Throne. As a thing for Inquisitorial troopers it makes sense to me. :shobon: Maybe not galaxy-wide, of course, but on the other hand, canonically the Guard stormtroopers are just the guys who didn't make the Inquisitorial cut anyway. Another fun tidbit of Guard lore from the Cain novels. :v:
Waaay back in the mid-late 00s there was a Dark Heresy LARP run monthly in Dublin. My character was a Stormtrooper school "washout" who was sent to the planetary PDF's quartermaster office and was super salty about it because nobody bothered to tell him that the ones that make the cut get posted to guard regiments, the ones that are really good are posted to Inquisitorial units, and the ones that are Main Character good end up part of a retinue.

His boss made a mistake thinking his skills at "shoot thing, not die" meant he'd be any good sifting through logistics records though :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't remember which Abnett book has his notes on the subject but I always appreciated his quote "In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium there is more than war. There are people there, too."

You need empathy in order to treat the setting as anything more than a farce or an edgelord exercise. People still need to live and do their 9 to 5s every day even when they're living in the future hell world.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

FPyat posted:

Keep me posted on how many space battles there are.

A ton. I would say the bigger part of the book takes place on ship/in space and a majority of that during battles.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The new angels of death short was pretty drat good, I'm impressed with the improved character models.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Richard Boylan still doing all of the mocap work by himself or does he have an actual production crew now?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

D-Pad posted:

A ton. I would say the bigger part of the book takes place on ship/in space and a majority of that during battles.

Hell’s bells yeah. Just bought the ebook.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I had similar issues with when I read it a while back. Rayne is just really bland as a character and some of the side characters are far more interesting. Zane in particular as I recall looking up my old tweets from when I read it.

Not to mention it does the usual sin of "Here is a guard unit, and now they're dead because we want to show that poo poo just got real." Not to mention the combat writing wasn't the most thrilling and felt very mechanical at places.
And then it just ends with a hook for a sequel that's never gonna happen anyway.
The book was solid but nothing as outstanding as the promos back then made me believe.
It did have probably the only sanctioned Psyker I've seen decently written in the books I've read (IE: Not somehow psychotic or otherwise crazy). It seems like the author has some other work, don't know if she has anything coming up with 40k though. I can see how the character worked for short stories that she debuted in, but it's the sort of thing where in short stories you don't need her to be as fleshed out as in the larger stories.

I think something that gets occasionally mentioned but not really looked at is the idea that a guard regiment is the elite of each planet's population. In one of the Cain novels, they're fighting on a planet that's just forming some regiments for the Guard, and he gripes about the PDF troopers fighting stupidly to prove that they should be part of the Guard Regiment

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is there a book where a pre Heresy chapter either turns up or is discovered and ends up fighting along side a 40k Space Marines chapter?

For example a pre Heresy Emperor's Children either comes out of the warp or is discovered and end up fighting along side the Blood Angels against xenos or chaos or something.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I seem to recall reading a book or short story in the 90s about a pre-heresy dark angel turning up for reasons and getting corrupted by one of the Fallen. At the end he ends up being interrogated/executed by the chapter. No idea of the title, but it was super bleak.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

https://archiveofourown.org/works/21251327

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Angry Lobster posted:

Yes, Ferrus is portrayed as a douchebag, not sure if it was intended or it's just plain old bad writing.

He is a miniature version of the Imperium as a whole: brutal, bloodthirsty, angry and ultimately self destructive. I love him

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Siivola posted:

i mean it sorta makes sense giving what scionis types are fighting. like most guardsman fight like random rebels or orks or maybe a cult of some sort. stormtroopers would be fighting all the worst poo poo ever constantly.

i mean my favorite regiment is the krieg because of how loving tragic they are, they are all teenage kids who have been indoctrinated into a death cult and basicaly have little to no individuality. officers are made because they are the last ones standing and such and if you read the novel they get even more tragic. 40k grimdark works when it has some actual tragedy/pathos in it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bessantj posted:

Is there a book where a pre Heresy chapter either turns up or is discovered and ends up fighting along side a 40k Space Marines chapter?

For example a pre Heresy Emperor's Children either comes out of the warp or is discovered and end up fighting along side the Blood Angels against xenos or chaos or something.

I'm imagining some very-pre-heresy Emperor's Children getting lost in the warp and coming out in 40k and having to very quickly pretend that they're just a chapter with a lot of relics and lost records.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Azubah posted:

The new angels of death short was pretty drat good, I'm impressed with the improved character models.

Ya, that was good poo poo.

And at almost a half an hour running time, AoD: Origins is the longest single "short" GW has produced and I'm totally here for it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Camrath posted:

I seem to recall reading a book or short story in the 90s about a pre-heresy dark angel turning up for reasons and getting corrupted by one of the Fallen. At the end he ends up being interrogated/executed by the chapter. No idea of the title, but it was super bleak.

Yes, this is 40k.

Always a worry when you start reading fan fiction.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Camrath posted:

That sounds like Eye Of Terror. A dark angel gets blown out into space during a boarding action and goes into suspended animation for ten thousand years before showing up confused in the Eye. Very very discontinued book.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Siivola posted:

For Inquisitorial stormtroopers that feels fitting, especially considering with all the weird poo poo they deal with. But make it the baseline for the Scions just felt contrived and par on course for their "everything is soooo grimdark guys" line of writing they had during that period.

Arquinsiel posted:

To be fair, using convicts is not the same as using other students. At least the convicts have already exhausted whatever supply of second changes the Schola world provides and using live targets does reinforce the mindset that they want a Commissar to have: did a bad thing? :commissar:

Pretty sure the Munitorum Manual makes a glib reference about figuring out the correct power setting for the lasrifle via "Live testing".

Calax posted:

It did have probably the only sanctioned Psyker I've seen decently written in the books I've read (IE: Not somehow psychotic or otherwise crazy).

I liked Zane, she was weird like psykers should be. But not straight up weird like they're usually portrayed and at the same time kinda catty and likely to make some glib comments.

Haven't heard anything about Rachel Harrison making a return to doing 40k books no. And then I follow a bunch of regular BL authors on twitter so I would've at least heard something about it.

Calax posted:

I think something that gets occasionally mentioned but not really looked at is the idea that a guard regiment is the elite of each planet's population.

I might be wrong, but that I think is usually the norm. But then it obviously varies from planet to planet as always, and usually it's the best of the best as not all PDFs are subpar.
Only when the narrative demands it, which is pretty often. :v:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Roller Coast Guard posted:

That sounds like Eye Of Terror. A dark angel gets blown out into space during a boarding action and goes into suspended animation for ten thousand years before showing up confused in the Eye. Very very discontinued book.

It's a really fun ride and I strongly recommend to anyone looking for some hams to read. It reads a bit dated but I enjoyed it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm going through Avenging Son right now and the scenes about the inner workings of the Imperial bureaucracy are exactly my thing. 40k is at its best when it's not simply insane but completely out there moon logic stuff.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Siivola posted:

I'm going through Avenging Son right now and the scenes about the inner workings of the Imperial bureaucracy are exactly my thing. 40k is at its best when it's not simply insane but completely out there moon logic stuff.

It's honestly one of my favorite things ever written in 40k. That kind of stuff is soooo interesting to me and there were so many cool pieces of lore about the administratum scribe culture.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Siivola posted:

yeah, it works when its clear the system is loving busted but no one can see it because its been more then 10 thousand years of stagnation.

like one of my favorites of late is the genestealer cult novel and how utterly broken and depressing both societies are and how you can almost romatizie genestealer cults and even though alot of them deep down know there fate, its ok because at least they lived free.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
100 pages into void king out 30 minutes ago and my one major comment is that they coulda taken like 20 pages of it off with tighter editing. lotta cliches-qua-cliches

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
overall not a fan of this guy's longform stuff. shame, his shortform stuff was p. good

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

you read 100 pages in 30 minutes?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

D-Pad posted:

you read 100 pages in 30 minutes?

its pulp sci-fi, come on

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
like, you can see the high-quality shortform thing in the plotting, where the fake-out with the astraneous being the killers was actually really well done, it's just the low-level wordcraft is kinda bad

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

like, you can see the high-quality shortform thing in the plotting, where the fake-out with the astraneous being the killers was actually really well done, it's just the low-level wordcraft is kinda bad

it's pulp sci-fi come on?

Along those lines the other thing I really liked though was the fakeout the other traders (cant remember spelling) were going to be slaneeshi but were really genestealers

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, pulp lives and dies by plotting, but it would be nice to have good low-level wordcraft. it says here in the addendum that the original thing was 'lost to the storms of 2020', which I'm guessing is him giving up on it for that year cuz the roni and stuff. can't blame him, lol

off to kasrkin i guess.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
kasrkin

"Besides, you're wrong about the bolt pistol being the only valuable thing around here. Dasht i-Kevar is the most valuable world in the system by far.

"It's true. They get aqua vitae from here."
"Life water? Is that what it sound like it is?"
"Yes. The most effective rejuve treatment in the sector. A bottle of the stuff costs more than a Custodian's armour. All rejuve and none of the unpleasant side effects most of the other treatments have."

"But where's the water? Where's the life?"

"I don't know. No one knows, save the desert tribes who trade it - or who used to trade it, before the blueis turned up."

its a dune homage. there are so many dune homages

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
overall, despite being so 'inspired' by dune that i'm kind of wondering when the copyright infringement suit will come (it didn't come for 40k as a whole so it'll prolly never come lol), kasrkin is a better book

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ima take the quad w/ Hilberkh space

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Roller Coast Guard posted:

That’s the one!

Iirc it came out before Black Library really got going as a thing- I know it was pre-Eisenhorn, and possibly pre-Gaunt’s Ghosts.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Camrath posted:

That’s the one!

Iirc it came out before Black Library really got going as a thing- I know it was pre-Eisenhorn, and possibly pre-Gaunt’s Ghosts.
It was released in 1999 so yes, that's a pretty accurate description.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

40k rips of Dune pretty hard, but that's something you can say about 3 quarters of all sci-fi. It's tremendously influential.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

wiegieman posted:

40k rips of Dune pretty hard, but that's something you can say about 3 quarters of all sci-fi. It's tremendously influential.

Right but he is talking about the new Kasrkin book. It's set on a desert planet that's an even bigger dune ripoff than the normal 40k stuff. A life extending substance only from that planet and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Had the author not heard about rejuvenat treatments?