Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

A thing to remember is that Katana man is just a nick name for the guy, the closest thing he has to a name is Samurai Sword.

Speaking of him, he and the other Hybrids should all be fine, wonder if we will see them again. Seeing more of Reze and Quanxi would be cool.

I've seen people talk about how the new Devil Hunter girl has the same haircut as whip, and we never saw her eyes, so that might or might not be a thing. As for hybrids in general, we know the Soviets made them, and Makima had nothing to do with Denji and Pochota making a deal, so it's not guaranteed she made all, or even some of the hybrids. She just collected them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Well I mean they were all dead after Makima was killed so someone would’ve needed to collect and revive them for them to be alive.

Don't they heal when they turn back to normal as well.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

RatHat posted:

Well I mean they were all dead after Makima was killed so someone would’ve needed to collect and revive them for them to be alive.

were they? in any case that's hardly a huge ask, kishibe's out there and i assume would want to revive quanxi at least. maybe the others if he thought they could be helpful in... keeping denji safe? whatever he's up to, i assume he's in charge of yoshida's "organization"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the exact bodycount from hell to the end of part 1 is actually a little hard to determine in spots. spider devil's seemingly alive, for instance, but you'd be forgiven for missing that she didn't get obliterated with everyone else during that mess.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, the hybrids are a huge question marks that will almost definitely come up again. Nothing that happened to them at the end of Part 1 seemed like something that would put them out of commission permanently, they are not controlled by Makima anymore and unlike Devils, it doesn't seem like dying/being revived erases their personality or memories. Katana Hybrid and Bomb Hybrid are extra interesting, because both of them have a personal connection to Denji the human and not Chainsaw Man, and it is plausible that they would specifically go look for him. Although for...entirely different reasons, obviously. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Endorph posted:

the exact bodycount from hell to the end of part 1 is actually a little hard to determine in spots. spider devil's seemingly alive, for instance, but you'd be forgiven for missing that she didn't get obliterated with everyone else during that mess.

She got slashed up, and seemingly died summoning Makima.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, the hybrids are a huge question marks that will almost definitely come up again. Nothing that happened to them at the end of Part 1 seemed like something that would put them out of commission permanently, they are not controlled by Makima anymore and unlike Devils, it doesn't seem like dying/being revived erases their personality or memories. Katana Hybrid and Bomb Hybrid are extra interesting, because both of them have a personal connection to Denji the human and not Chainsaw Man, and it is plausible that they would specifically go look for him. Although for...entirely different reasons, obviously. :v:

Quanxi would probably be a bit grateful for killing Makima.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

She got slashed up, and seemingly died summoning Makima.
i dont think she did? the second thing, anyway.

this is the last panel we see her in, and given she's always had the zipper on her head and makima presumably knew she could do this, i dont think this is something that instantly kills prinz. granted, we dont see her again after this, so maybe she is dead, but i think it's pretty unclear.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

You see her chained to Makima. She's dead. A spider devil with no limbs would be.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

goblin week posted:

You see her chained to Makima. She's dead. A spider devil with no limbs would be.
Isn't this from when she's killing the Gun Fiend, at which point Aki and the Angel Devil are -- presuming she didn't kill them off-camera -- still alive?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

poo poo the new Ace Attorney looks awesome

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

goblin week posted:

If she was dead, she'd have come back to life in Hell. It's only because she's still alive that Makima can use her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elephant Parade posted:

Isn't this from when she's killing the Gun Fiend, at which point Aki and the Angel Devil are -- presuming she didn't kill them off-camera -- still alive?

Aki is already dead at this point.

The Control Devil can just use people that are already dead’s powers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

If she was dead, she'd have come back to life in Hell. It's only because she's still alive that Makima can use her.

Coming back does not seem to be an instant thing. Two of Quanxi’s fiends were killed and their devil selves did not pop out.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Elephant Parade posted:

This specific panel is after Aki's name shows up in the death name list! And, to quote the actual page,

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

chiasaur11 posted:

Actually, if she died in hell, she'd come back to life on Earth :P

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Hey, I know we've been talking about how Makima is not a good source for information, but I can't really recall any cases of her directly lying; can you? I'm probably mistaken here, but the bit in the latest episode where she says "there's not even a name for what you are" to Denji is such a delicious half truth that it got me thinking.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

goblin week posted:

This specific panel is after Aki's name shows up in the death name list! And, to quote the actual page,

Oh, I missed that. Good to know.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

Hey, I know we've been talking about how Makima is not a good source for information, but I can't really recall any cases of her directly lying; can you? I'm probably mistaken here, but the bit in the latest episode where she says "there's not even a name for what you are" to Denji is such a delicious half truth that it got me thinking.

I think there are a few, although even most of those have a spin available. (For example 'I wasn't hit' in regards to the train massacre. She was shot at... but the hit was transferred to some random Japanese citizen.)

I mean, right towards the start, she tells Denji that she likes "Someone like this boy Denji.", which is true. She loves Chainsaw Man. Similarly, she tells Kishibe that she wants to get more attention to the special division so they can help more people, and while she smiles when he calls her a liar, it's sort of true in that more power means she can have Chainsaw Man erase all the woes of humanity.

Makima has a strong sense of humor that's mostly visible in hindsight, and her tendency towards half-truths fits right in.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i miss angel

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I'm pretty sure the last time we see the Spider Devil and Angel is in the hallway here:

No Idea if they're alive, a few of the other fiends might be alive in this too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres a part of makima thats, i dont wanna say innocent, but sincere. i dont think there's ever any indication that she was ever anything but a very caring and loving owner towards her (actual) dogs, for instance.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

hbag posted:

i miss angel

You and me both, hopefully he made it out of Hell after being reborn there (if he died I mean) and is living some place nice right now.

goblin week posted:

Is THAT what being chained to Makima means? That you're dead and now she like has control over your ghost? I was honestly really confused by that part, did her dying set those souls free?

Brightman posted:

I'm pretty sure the last time we see the Spider Devil and Angel is in the hallway here:

I thought the implication is that those are all devil corpses that are now waiting to serve Chainsaw Man in Hell now? But like I said, I found that part confusing. Really cool! But confusing.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Brightman posted:

Angel shows up again when Kobeni is dancing.

But we don't know for certain that the chains mean death. If the chains are how she uses someone else's powers then she might've used the chains on Tendo and Kurose in the Katana Man arc and they were fine for awhile afterwards.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
It's confusing especially since I don't think we ever saw a few of those prior to that page.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Brightman posted:

It's confusing especially since I don't think we ever saw a few of those prior to that page.

Yeah, half of The Hierarchy of Angels crew only showed up on that page. We get to meet Beam, Prinz, Power and Angel, but the other four just show up dead (?) already.

Edit:

Also, there's one missing. There are nine hierarchies of angels, so to complete the set there should be one named "Arch".

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 21, 2022

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Brightman posted:

this chapter is when fan theories started putting the pieces together regarding makima as some kind of greater being/the endgame being the devil devil, right? since those are the 9 levels of seraphic beings, minus archangel (lucifer).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

this chapter is when fan theories started putting the pieces together regarding makima as some kind of greater being/the endgame being the devil devil, right? since those are the 9 levels of seraphic beings, minus archangel (lucifer).

8 levels minus the arch angels, which adds up to nine total.

So, wait, is Makima supposed to be the missing "Arch"? Is she Lucifer in this metaphor?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

My understanding is that's what people thought when the chapter first came out, but when she brought up "Death. War. Hunger." that's when people made the connection Control = Conquest, so the Archangel Lucifer was simply not present but may show up at some point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

theres a part of makima thats, i dont wanna say innocent, but sincere. i dont think there's ever any indication that she was ever anything but a very caring and loving owner towards her (actual) dogs, for instance.

It makes total sense she is perfectly pleasant to people or things which willingly accept her Control because she's already won. Even if it is just out of doggish love.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

My understanding is that's what people thought when the chapter first came out, but when she brought up "Death. War. Hunger." that's when people made the connection Control = Conquest, so the Archangel Lucifer was simply not present but may show up at some point.

Ah poo poo, it's Kobeni isn't it? Kobeni was secretly Satan this whole time.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You and me both, hopefully he made it out of Hell after being reborn there (if he died I mean) and is living some place nice right now.

I mean, based on what Power said about what she'd be like when Denji finds her, the Blood Devil wouldn't be like her, Angel probably would be rather different if they did.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dont u even dare loving imply tjat

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

oh fug lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Yeah, half of The Hierarchy of Angels crew only showed up on that page. We get to meet Beam, Prinz, Power and Angel, but the other four just show up dead (?) already.

Edit:

Also, there's one missing. There are nine hierarchies of angels, so to complete the set there should be one named "Arch".

Galgalim is the Violence fiend.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It makes total sense she is perfectly pleasant to people or things which willingly accept her Control because she's already won. Even if it is just out of doggish love.

Nah. That seems to be when she's cruelest. Denji breaking down and just doing whatever she says set her up to break him, and Quanxi's surrender made Makima slice the heads off her girlfriends.

Meanwhile, when Angel resisted her, Makima was all smiles and compliments, and Kishibe gets a full explanation and a friendly warning to step back since Chainsaw Man is going to kill Makima, and he could be collateral damage.

Makima's dogs are loud, energetic, and frequently go for treats that are meant for other dogs. Makima likes people who can be independent of her, even more than she likes people who like her.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Evrart Claire posted:

Galgalim is the Violence fiend.

Oh poo poo you're right! I never noticed that before, it totally slipped my mind what he looked like outside of his bird mask.

Incidently, I'm still 100% on board with the fan theory that the violence fiend possessed the body of Hirokazu Arai. They got the same hair!

chiasaur11 posted:

Nah. That seems to be when she's cruelest. Denji breaking down and just doing whatever she says set her up to break him, and Quanxi's surrender made Makima slice the heads off her girlfriends.

Meanwhile, when Angel resisted her, Makima was all smiles and compliments, and Kishibe gets a full explanation and a friendly warning to step back since Chainsaw Man is going to kill Makima, and he could be collateral damage.

Makima's dogs are loud, energetic, and frequently go for treats that are meant for other dogs. Makima likes people who can be independent of her, even more than she likes people who like her.

I think that ties into how she secretly wants someone she can see as an equal because that's the only way she believes it's possible for her to truly love and be loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I think that ties into how she secretly wants someone she can see as an equal because that's the only way she believes it's possible for her to truly love and be loved.

Yep. And the bitter, comical irony was that she managed to find an equal in Denji, connected to him on a deep level... and then she aggressively ignored all that in pursuit of Pochita, who she didn't understand at all.