Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I legit use a Milwaukee backpack shop vac as my main around-the-house vac because I'm loving tired of the shitass battery in my old Dyson.

Yeah, I think I've had three or four dustbusters that have had their nicads and nimh batteries die out over a couple of years and they've never been great to begin with. Just gonna use the ryobi one now and I can just swap batteries without worrying about it. As long as I don't let the motor filter get too clogged it'll probably last ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

what for, do you not have outlets in your kitchen?

Like, the Makita coffee maker is gimmicky but fine I guess if you're camping or whatever and don't know how to build a fire. But battery powered paddle mixer? Tbh just stick your paddles in your cordless drill :getin:

Futzing around with cords in limited space sucks rear end. My options are make room along the outside wall under the cabinets, which ends up being the landing place for things too big to store in cabinets, or use the outlet at the very end of the peninsula which is the only place to do prep.

It's also annoying to have a cord dragging behind things when pulling them out of a storage spot and putting them in the work area. Counters get crowded during food prep, and having a cord is another thing to mind trying not to knock poo poo over. Our stand mixer has a removeable cord, which I thought was going to be annoying, but it's actually nice to be able to grab it from behind things and only worry about lifting it up and over

There are now cordless immersion blenders, but even that was long overdue. Also from what I've seen they're plug-in to recharge or have a battery that only fits it and needs its own charger.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah if you're envisioning the all-cordless kitchen having none of those issues, rather than adding, like, a dozen separate batteries and chargers you have to constantly manage to the mix, you're in for an expensively bad time

battery-powered tools are great on, like, a jobsite, where wall current isn't an option and the gas-powered alternatives are even heavier and fussier. They're kinda dumb but understandable on things like vaccuums where you're wandering around room-to-room and would have to stop and plug it back in every five minutes. If you're doing that with your stand mixer, cut it out.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 21, 2022

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I deeply hate the power cord on my immersion blender. I also am unclear if I want to make it top heavy with a lithium bomb over hot liquid being kept there by open flame.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Wow no support for the work van lifestyle

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

work van can have a generator in back but the fumes will entirely ruin your croquembouche

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is everyone still psyched with their e-go yard tools? Has everyone else caught up in terms of their offerings? Looking for a string trimmer and leaf blower.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Danhenge posted:

Bad news for DeWalt fans hoping for a battery mower with the flexvolt line, the new mower has a new battery format. Also it's already caught on fire at a tool show:

This mower is geared toward yard crews, with it's huge battery packs, and will have a battery cart and charging trailer available as well. https://www.dewalt.com/ascent

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Russian Bear posted:

Is everyone still psyched with their e-go yard tools? Has everyone else caught up in terms of their offerings? Looking for a string trimmer and leaf blower.

I have fallen out of love with EGO after having my large battery go on the Fritz and EGO customer support wasting my time. I'm still waiting for a replacement battery but there's no ETA on when they'll have replacements available. From reading reddit it looks like 6 months to a year before I will get a warranty replacement for my battery after having spent 3+ months dealing with their "customer support" line.

At this point I would recommend any other brand except EGO. Go with a big tool brand.

When my EGO poo poo breaks I'm switching to Milwaukee.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Russian Bear posted:

If you just looking at those the big brands are all good. Blowers like higher voltage if you actually want move leaves which gives Ego a nice advantage because they only make a 54v platform. I found the 20v Dewalt mower to be useless when it comes to leaves on grass. The Flexvolt one on other hand is solid but still not comparable to gas backpacks.

I don’t think i would buy Ego yard tools if I wasn’t interested in the mower. The mower is really the crown jewel.

If you want a trimmer take look at the various multi tool systems, I wish I did before I bought a stand alone trimmer. Ryobi, Mikita, Dewalt and Milwaukee all make solid yard tools now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

This mower is geared toward yard crews, with it's huge battery packs, and will have a battery cart and charging trailer available as well. https://www.dewalt.com/ascent

Batteries as a service. :ughh:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

After a year of use I still love my EGO mower and string trimmer, but admittedly it's only one year. I use the mower for both mulching and bagging and I just leave the mulch blade on constantly and it works great.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Motronic posted:

Batteries as a service. :ughh:

Assuming you still have a purchase option this is a good option for any large professional landscaper?

It’s no different than a lease v buy decision on any other tool or piece of equipment. Given batteries are an expensive up front cost this probably also expands their market to other smaller scale operators where the lease cost can be covered by some of the gas/maintenance savings.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

The electricals on my EGO mower busted themselves after a few years of light use, but it was still under warranty so it was a free fix other than the 90 minutes on the phone, the 4x30 minute drive to get it repaired, and the 2 weeks spent waiting for them to get the part.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrAmazing posted:

Assuming you still have a purchase option this is a good option for any large professional landscaper?

It’s no different than a lease v buy decision on any other tool or piece of equipment. Given batteries are an expensive up front cost this probably also expands their market to other smaller scale operators where the lease cost can be covered by some of the gas/maintenance savings.

It is and it isn't. The economics of these things aren't proven and are already suspect.

I mean, if all of your customers don't mind paying double it's probably not a problem.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I assume the niche here is created by California's (And probably soon to be others) new small engine ban.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

It is and it isn't. The economics of these things aren't proven and are already suspect.

I mean, if all of your customers don't mind paying double it's probably not a problem.

I assume their market will start as coastal California. I've already seen a lot of backpack run Stihl brand tools like blowers and edgers. Then there is a box on the truck where the backpack plugs in to charge or something. (I haven't looked closely.) Some (many?) towns restrict gas powered blowers and other tools, they've been banned where I live forever but it's unenforced because there is nothing on the market for commercial folks yet. That seems to be changing. Keeps the noise and pollution down, as those little engines are just atrocious. The market is going to be out of regulation, not demand.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

The market is going to be out of regulation, not demand.

As these products are insanely expensive and time consuming/laborious/capital intensive it's going to have to be. I wasn't aware CA had legislated this without any commercial solutions in place but of course they did.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

As these products are insanely expensive and time consuming/laborious/capital intensive it's going to have to be. I wasn't aware CA had legislated this without any commercial solutions in place but of course they did.

I mean small cities had ages ago and just ignored it. Literally 20+ years ago. Recently our contracted landscape companies have started using electric blowers (those stihls) and the funniest one...

A city worker with a 120v leaf blower, extension cord, and a Honda generator. :negative:

The state however is starting to clamp down on them now that there are commercial solutions in place and I'm OK with it.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

I still love my EGO mower, but it’s only been two years and this summer has almost no rain so I only pulled it out once every two weeks or so.

I bought a Milwaukee string trimmer because I’m deep in their battery ecosystem and like it, though it’s a little heavy. I may buy the hedge trimmer attachment, it’s been a great tool so far.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

A city worker with a 120v leaf blower, extension cord, and a Honda generator. :negative:

Malicious delicious compliance.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I hope the hubs on the charging trailer have belts attached to them and the belts turn alternators that run the chargers.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

If you don't, no one switches. Carrot or stick (incentives or penalties)... In the burbs line half the air pollution is from yard crews and small engines. I'll hear blowers 6 hours a day from now until December when I go outside. My mom's development is worse, it's like 12 hours a day of non-stop mowers, string trimmers, and blowers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

If you don't, no one switches. Carrot or stick (incentives or penalties)... In the burbs line half the air pollution is from yard crews and small engines. I'll hear blowers 6 hours a day from now until December when I go outside. My mom's development is worse, it's like 12 hours a day of non-stop mowers, string trimmers, and blowers.

There's meaningful legislation that is achievable with existing technology that provides timelines to commercialize it and then there's this kind of California galaxy brain NIMBY poo poo that I found while looking around about this gas motor ban:

quote:

a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers is far from new. Los Altos banned them in 1991

https://www.danvillesanramon.com/news/2021/10/16/california-pulls-the-plug-on-gas-powered-leaf-blowers-under-new-law

Also, if you've been around large leaf blowers you'll find that more than half the noise is from the fan, not the motor. And I can hear the hydro pumps and motors of my zero turn over the gas engine. So I'm going to be very curious to see how that goes as far as noise unless they are switching everything to individual electric motors (which is a whole other can of worms and incremental cost).

Absolutely an emissions savings - I mean, unless every crew just puts a PTO generator on the pickup pulling the trailer and leave their poo poo running to charge the spare batteries all day. Which is probably what is going to happen.

To be clear, I'm all in on this poo poo as soon as it's feasible. It is not at the current time.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 21, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

This rules.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Absolutely an emissions savings - I mean, unless every crew just puts a PTO generator on the pickup pulling the trailer and leave their poo poo running to charge the spare batteries all day. Which is probably what is going to happen.

Heck 1 motor at a constant load all day is likely lower emissions than whatever horror show is on the leaf blowers and such that are revving up and down constantly.

You hope the manufacturers are smart enough to have sizing down to fit in around the size of a truck bed toolbox, and most work trucks have 120v out these days - I imagine you will see lots of them idling their truck to charge or hopefully only needing to charge between locations and then topping up with shore power back at the depot.

This should gel nicely with other EV mandates which could see F-150 lightning style trucks becoming fleet trucks.

In a decade.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

This should gel nicely with other EV mandates which could see F-150 lightning style trucks becoming fleet trucks.

In a decade.

I hope in a decade we are doing better with battery energy density (the entire issue here) and won't have to play games like making a backpack sling for a Honda EU2200i so commercial crews can legally do their jobs.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

H110Hawk posted:

That's still going to be a fraction of the noise of a gas leaf blower.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

That's still going to be a fraction of the noise of a gas leaf blower.

And that fraction is like 5/8 or more. All of the worst high pitched noise that travels the furthest is from the fan.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Id love to see more data on that then, only anecdotal experience I have is whatever gas powered leafblower they use that I can plainly hear from 200' away over my ryobi cordless blower while its running in my hands. Definitely seems a hell of a lot quieter but just an n of 1.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Works posted:

Id love to see more data on that then, only anecdotal experience I have is whatever gas powered leafblower they use that I can plainly hear from 200' away over my ryobi cordless blower while its running in my hands. Definitely seems a hell of a lot quieter but just an n of 1.

A component of this is that it's entirely likely your Ryobi (450/600 CFM?) is not moving the kind of air their Echo backpack blower (1100 CFM) is moving and is using half or less the energy.

It's super obvious when you're around similarly capable equipment that is like an 80cc 2 smoke gas motor vs a battery one with the same capability/capacity.

My 450 CFM dewalt battery blower is absolutely quieter than my 1100 CFM gas backpack blower, but it's got all the same annoying hair dryer noise and is almost not really hearing safe. Probably wouldn't be at all if it was on my back rather than being a handheld.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 22, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Motronic posted:

A component of this is that it's entirely likely your Ryobi (450/600 CFM?) is not moving the kind of air their Echo backpack blower (1100 CFM) is moving and is using half or less the energy.

It's super obvious when you're around similarly capable equipment that is like an 80cc 2 smoke gas motor vs a battery one with the same capability/capacity.

My 450 CFM dewalt battery blower is absolutely quieter than my 1100 CFM gas backpack blower, but it's got all the same annoying hair dryer noise and is almost not really hearing safe. Probably wouldn't be at all if it was on my back rather than being a handheld.

Makes sense, its a 730CFM but the "whisperquiet" / whatever marketing buzzword they threw on it. I like it a great deal, runs at lower CFM and boosts to 730. Solid rec for around the house level stuff, def one of my favorite home purchases in a while for how convenient it is to use / how well it functions.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

It’s called a rake

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Infinotize posted:

It’s called a rake

How werk?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Maybe artisanal hand-raked yards will be the hot new thing in Portland this fall

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Can't wait for all the Instagram ads featuring rugged lumberjack guys cleaning up thei yard with a $6000 padauk and titanium spring rake

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Rakes are very amenable to laser cutting. You could totally order a Ti6Al4V laser-cut rake from sendcutsend.

I dunno about padauk, how do you feel about certified renewable bamboo?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bamboo is too bland and utilitarian, if you want the big bucks it's gotta be built like a fantasy sword. If not an exotic hardwood maybe something like that old growth ship planking they keep dredging out of the Great Lakes

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

And that fraction is like 5/8 or more. All of the worst high pitched noise that travels the furthest is from the fan.

you got that backwards, low/mid frequencies -- like from the engines -- travel further than high frequency sounds from say, the fans or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ban all leaf blowers, gas or electric