Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm new to gunpla but looking to put together an RX-78-02 while I watch MSG because I'm an irredeemable nerd. I know I want to do a MG since I'm experienced with other modeling, but I'm confused about version 1/2/3/ver.ka? Is there a reason to pick one over the other or just go with the.newest version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

I'm new to gunpla but looking to put together an RX-78-02 while I watch MSG because I'm an irredeemable nerd. I know I want to do a MG since I'm experienced with other modeling, but I'm confused about version 1/2/3/ver.ka? Is there a reason to pick one over the other or just go with the.newest version?
Usually just pick the newest one, yeah, however ol Granpa Gundam has 3 viable choices.

Ver. 2.0 Is slightly older but more closely follows the original lineart.

Ver. 3.0 is the newest version of the original design but it arguably has worse articulation in some areas than the 2.0.

Origin is probably the best RX-78 available overall but it's based on the redesign from the manga so probably not what you want if you're into the original TV/movies design.

Anything other than those aren't worth buying unless you have a real hankering for that specific iteration.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Ver 2.0 is designed to fit inside the G-Fighter and better matches the aesthetics of the GM and Zaku

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

picked up:

Ground Gundam Urban Camo Type
Gundam Mk-II
and a Leo

with that I have every MS I'm actually interested in at my local Hobby Lobby.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

1/2/3 are just newer/older versions. the newer versions are usually better.

ver. ka is a redesign by a famous mecha designer named katoki. unlike the numbered versions this isnt necessarily a strict upgrade if you dont like his design sense.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Ver Ka is a really old kit at this point. 3 is newest but has some parts that were kind of a pain to put together. Of the MGs available currently I recommend either the 2 or the Ver OYW (sometimes called 1.5).

If you do the 3, note that the core fighter is optional. There is a large chest part for the LED that takes its place if you want to save a couple of hours when building it.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

RillAkBea posted:

Ver. 3.0 is the newest version of the original design but it arguably has worse articulation in some areas than the 2.0.

And GIANT HANDS

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I like the Origin MG due to not having to deal with the core fighter, that drat thing always makes the chest feel weak.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
It's not a true MG unless it has all the gimmicks (and more) even to its detriment.

Plus The Origin Core Fighter is just so darn cute

https://i.imgur.com/HUE0lLA_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

man I just had an idea for a custom Gunpla I wanna do.

But it requires an Aegis Gundam, and for a HG Epyon and Dragon Gundam to exist

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a Dragon, but if Altron would work as a substitute, that is likely on the way, given that they made runners for it for the Jiyan Altron

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nodosaur posted:

30MM has some fairly good spiky custom parts in their accessory sets, and a transformational model base now in the Espossito Alpha and Beta. You might be able to do something with those?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a Dragon, but if Altron would work as a substitute, that is likely on the way, given that they made runners for it for the Jiyan Altron
Theyll probably do HGs of the shuffle alliance mechs eventually. Very eventually. But the HG g gundam kits apparently sell very well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It does seem odd to me that they put out the Livelance Heaven but the Deathscythe Hell still isn't out. I would think the Wing suits were all designed together. Maybe it's the sort of thing that will stop happening when that new factory opens?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

30MM has some fairly good spiky custom parts in their accessory sets, and a transformational model base now in the Espossito Alpha and Beta. You might be able to do something with those?

I’ll consider that but i still need an Epyon. The Aegis parts are needed because I need to approximate a claw mode.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Megatron_(RID)

I want to make a Gundam version of this character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

I’ll consider that but i still need an Epyon. The Aegis parts are needed because I need to approximate a claw mode.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Megatron_(RID)

I want to make a Gundam version of this character.

if you want to approximate the claw mode you might wanna look at the dictus for reference

though getting your hands on it will probably be tricky since its a p-bandai exclusive of a fairly obscure suit

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I feel like the Aegis’s style fits the Epyon better, while this thing succeeds in looking more like an actual hand. Hm. Decisions.

But even then, I have to wait. Epyon doesn’t exist yet, and neither do my painting skills.

Edit - This is the Gigaclaw mode for reference:

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 23, 2022

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Never built a Gundam before this year, and now this is where I'm at. And I have the RG God Gundam halfway built. :homebrew:

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
As usual there are some flubs I hope I'm learning from, but Heavyarms is done! (apart from a hinge repair on the other chest piece)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

It does seem odd to me that they put out the Livelance Heaven but the Deathscythe Hell still isn't out. I would think the Wing suits were all designed together. Maybe it's the sort of thing that will stop happening when that new factory opens?

Bandai has had at least partial molds for a modern HG Gundam Leopard somewhere in their back lot for 7 years now, so I wouldn't bet any money on them changing their strategy once the new factory opens.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As difficult as it is to navigate twitter, I've managed to track down a basic framework hobbyists have put together to make a transformable frame from 30mm pieces. Main difficulty is that it sources parts from multiple kits. It's amazing what people have put together with it, often under the #30MMVISTA tag. Of course, not being fluent in Japanese and all, I've basically been doing a lot of guesswork to parse poo poo.

https://twitter.com/96ganeya/status/1573210946021232640

I dunno if this guy is the originator of the design but they're at least a huge contributor.

I've tried to break it down here. Thankfully it appears to only require minimal parts modding. Red parts are from the exa vehicle air fighter. Green is from the multi-booster. Pink is from rabiot base attack/special operations accessories. Blue is from the exa vehicle attack sub. Beige are the joints/linkages from the optional parts set 1 & 2, and from some first printings of other sets. Yellow is from optional parts set 1. White is from optional parts set 8 multi-backpack. The older version with the circle piece for the crotch section appears to be from the exa vehicle space craft. Unfortunately it requires more parts modding for the old version to work.

Argas fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 23, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Bandai has had at least partial molds for a modern HG Gundam Leopard somewhere in their back lot for 7 years now, so I wouldn't bet any money on them changing their strategy once the new factory opens.

They released a HG Airmaster, and it seems to have flopped, probably explaining why the Leopard was never finished. Bandai does preliminary work on a lot of designs they don't release, and more for stuff they only put out P-Bandai, so I think the factory will probably expand on the number of things they complete due to more production capacity, but it won't end the practice.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

They released a HG Airmaster, and it seems to have flopped, probably explaining why the Leopard was never finished. Bandai does preliminary work on a lot of designs they don't release, and more for stuff they only put out P-Bandai, so I think the factory will probably expand on the number of things they complete due to more production capacity, but it won't end the practice.

Yeah, I'm aware of their general system, my point was more that their seemingly erratic release schedule isn't due to a lack of production bandwidth.

If anything, I think all that will come of the extra factory is a return to the pre-covid output schedule and more experimental projects like Labo which fell by the way side when the factories had to up production. Maybe more SDCS some day if we're lucky.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Anyone hoping for more G or X in the near term is going to be sorely disappointed.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
So, I’ve just gotten into this and I’m finding that I’m really enjoying painting the pistons, pipes, hoses, and other dark gray internal gubbins. What sorts of (hopefully accessible) kits are good for this? So far I’m guessing RGs and HGIBOs?

Also, any tips on how to mask those areas? So far, I’ve been making do with paper cutouts and Gundam markers, but the stuff seems to have a life of its own.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

master grades and real grades have entire internal frames if youre into that

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Well, it’s specifically the mechanical bits - I built the RG Exia and its internal frame didn’t really have anything to work with there. So I guess I’m asking about the combo of detail and a more industrial aesthetic?

E: should I look to other model lines for that?

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 24, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MGs are going to have the internal frame detail you're looking for. Cruise dalong and see his reviews for examples.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
MG Barbatos, obviously, but some of the Kotobukiya Zoid kits have pistons and whatnot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CommunityEdition posted:

Well, it’s specifically the mechanical bits - I built the RG Exia and its internal frame didn’t really have anything to work with there. So I guess I’m asking about the combo of detail and a more industrial aesthetic?

MG Barbatos is gonna be a big one, yeah. Some of the Zakus and Zaku variants have a lot of pipes, too.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

CommunityEdition posted:

IBO is maybe your best bet, as mentioned you can check out the http://dalong.net/ site (click on the review button for any suit to see turnaround pics)

Most regular gundam designs have the pistons and stuff covered up by armor panels, and often those internal details will just be missing in 1/144 scale.

So you'll probably either want MGs, or 1/144 designs where they have more of a "frame plus small number of armor panels attached" aesthetic which is a ton of the IBO suits.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The RG MK-II has little fabric hoses on the lower legs and it's sublime :3:

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Awesome! Looks like I’ll be able to populate a wish list off of this!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

SnakesRevenge posted:

As usual there are some flubs I hope I'm learning from, but Heavyarms is done! (apart from a hinge repair on the other chest piece)

good colors! :nice:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

CommunityEdition posted:

Early real grades and later real grades are basically completely different. Take a look at the RG Nu.

Also if you need to mask a weird edge you can use silly putty.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Take a look at the RG Nu.

I’m just finishing the RG Sazabi, so I was going to have to do that anyways!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

CommunityEdition posted:

I’m just finishing the RG Sazabi, so I was going to have to do that anyways!

Good. If you're interested in painting the inner frame, I hope you like drybrushing because that's definitely what I'd do if I painted the Nu's inner frame.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

CommunityEdition posted:

Also, any tips on how to mask those areas? So far, I’ve been making do with paper cutouts and Gundam markers, but the stuff seems to have a life of its own.

If you're finding the marker is flowing too much, you can dab some out onto a palette and apply it with a small brush. I used that method to painstakingly freehand the sleeve flourishes on the MG Sinanju. (An absolutely awful experience, but it looks great :v: )

floatman
Mar 17, 2009

CommunityEdition posted:

So, I’ve just gotten into this and I’m finding that I’m really enjoying painting the pistons, pipes, hoses, and other dark gray internal gubbins. What sorts of (hopefully accessible) kits are good for this? So far I’m guessing RGs and HGIBOs?

Comedy option: if you want pipes, the bandai star wars y-wing kit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

floatman posted:

Comedy option: if you want pipes, the bandai star wars y-wing kit

This could work…I’ve got Star Wars friends, that could make for a sweet gift one of these days